PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for Tom Crean

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
I've never cared much about IU hoops one way or the other, so I don't have a personal rooting interest for or against the program at this point. But I like the way that the athletic department has faced up to the mess they made by hiring Sampson, and I like the way Crean has been willing to come in, clean out the garbage, and try to rebuild from scratch. I honestly hope that he does well. It feels like a situation where a good guy is trying to do a good thing, and I hope it works out.

sandinmyshoes
11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I've never cared much about IU hoops one way or the other, so I don't have a personal rooting interest for or against the program at this point. But I like the way that the athletic department has faced up to the mess they made by hiring Sampson, and I like the way Crean has been willing to come in, clean out the garbage, and try to rebuild from scratch. I honestly hope that he does well. It feels like a situation where a good guy is trying to do a good thing, and I hope it works out.

In complete agreement with you. And the IU mess is a cautionary tale for all the schools that pretty much try to do things the right way. I believe IU always tried to do that, but it doesn't take much for things to go off track.

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
As an added Tom Crean bonus - if his cleaning-up-IU story ever gets made into an ESPN original movie, Tom Arnold will be a lock to play him :cool:

roywhite
11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
A healthy IU program is certainly good for college basketball.

FWIW, Crean had a certain number of detractors at Marquette, who felt he under-acheived. Mostly message board chatter type stuff, but I had to chuckle at the nickname Fake Bake for his year-around tan.

sagegrouse
11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
His bearing conveys a nervous intensity -- kind of like the postman Newman on Seinfeld -- that is a pleasing contrast to the buttoned-down or aw shucks (Roy W.) personae so prevalent in college coaching.

sagegrouse