PDA

View Full Version : The "choking" thread

Jumbo
03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
That thread has been deleted due to some remarkably embarrassing behavior on the part of a number of posters. You guys can -- and must -- do better than that. The name-calling and language used is not acceptable. The thread probably would have been taken down earlier, but a number of moderators have been busy. We discussed it and deleted it, and will be keeping a closer eye on future threads if they start to head in that direction.

Please, everyone, let's strive for a high level of discourse, ok? Argue ideas all you want, and as strongly as you want. Just do it at a level higher than the average middle school cafeteria, please.

throatybeard
03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
What Jumbo said.

We've also locked the "Duke FB loses $2M...: thread, which is getting nasty.

When in doubt, please adhere to the general directive in DBR's sticky-ed thread on the infraction policy:

As you know, our primary goals for these boards is to foster a sense of community among basketball fans, especially Duke fans, and to encourage intelligent discussions, debate, and commentary in a fun and civil atmosphere.

dukeimac
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Isn't it ironic that DBR took a high road here, trying to "foster a sense of community among basketball fans" by removing this thread, yet they will continue to allow people to post "go to hell UNC go to hell?"

Kind of pokes a finger right in the eye of "sense of community amongst basketball fans."

But I guess the jury and judge (I think their the same) have ruled. :(

-jk
04-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Isn't it ironic that DBR took a high road here, trying to "foster a sense of community among basketball fans" by removing this thread, yet they will continue to allow people to post "go to hell UNC go to hell?"

Kind of pokes a finger right in the eye of "sense of community amongst basketball fans."

But I guess the jury and judge (I think their the same) have ruled. :(

Actually, Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Only not this time - your post remained, after all.

We "Moderators" are not "DBR" - DBR is Julio and Boswell. We're just the neighborhood watch group, trying to keep an eye on things for them.

And anyway, the real reason I'm responding to this: I grew up in a Duke household, and "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell!" was the first and only curse word I was ever permitted (and even encouraged) to say as a child; it's not so much about civility as about rivalry.

-jk

dukeimac
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure how "go to hell UNC go to hell" isn't middle school cafeteria talk. AND middle school cafeteria talk is YOUR criteria. Keeping in mind, as one stated on this thread, that is what they were raised on. I assume that includes their middle school years. Thus, that kind of language isn't in tune with your no "middle school cafeteria" talk but you allow it.

If middle school cafeteria talk warrants deleting a thread then use that criteria for all threads. Different rules for different people?

throatybeard
04-01-2007, 04:59 PM
1) We're not going to debate you about this, Dukeimac.

2) Just for transparency, if Ozzie's signature is the point of contention here, we had a discussion about it and came to the uneasy collective conclusion that it had some sort of grandfather clause status. We do wish he'd shrink the dang thing some.

Ozzie's been an active participant in the board for longer than I can remember. His sig is the DBR equivalent of Coach K's story about Tommy Amaker being two minutes late to the bus.

Jumbo
04-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure how "go to hell UNC go to hell" isn't middle school cafeteria talk. AND middle school cafeteria talk is YOUR criteria. Keeping in mind, as one stated on this thread, that is what they were raised on. I assume that includes their middle school years. Thus, that kind of language isn't in tune with your no "middle school cafeteria" talk but you allow it.

If middle school cafeteria talk warrants deleting a thread then use that criteria for all threads. Different rules for different people?

A long-standing, commonly repeated cheer that is at the core of a rivalry is not the same as referring to another poster as "soggybottoms" or making comments that are borderline homophobic/homoerotic. Those were just a couple examples in that thread that went too far. DBR's policy is very clear, and we will continue to enforce it as directed by Julio and Boswell.

Tappan Zee Devil
04-01-2007, 05:27 PM
The GTHC cry is not part of the nasty, devisive, destructive comments that the monitors are trying to do away with. It is part of our history and culture and is not meant to destructive. It is an integral part of the rivalry.

I was in DUMB is the late 60s and we were never censored for GTHC - it actually is the appropriate yell in the middle of the fight song. We however were severely censored and threatened with being not allowed to preform for repeatedly chanting "carolina sucks" after a bitter football loss (standards were different then and it was a much nastier statement than now). I think that kinda expresses the difference - if you can comprehend.

jim

Virginian
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Duke and UNC have been trading chants of "Go to Hell, Duke" and "Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell" for generations. Hardly anything controversial about it at this point in the rivalry.

dukeimac
04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Not sure what you mean about the Ozzie signature, maybe he posted and I didn't get to see what he posted before the thread was deleted.

No reference in your reply about the "middle school cafeteria" criteria, interesting how that was dodged? You must box.

After a year of being unfairly treated I though you guys, of all people, would be honest and forthright. I wouldn't wish any recruit on you folks.

This kind of smells of the holier than now attitude Dukes are accused of having.

Your right, you won't have to debate me any more. Maybe you can visit me on another board. Talking about this poorly run board.

-jk
04-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Not sure what you mean about the Ozzie signature, maybe he posted and I didn't get to see what he posted before the thread was deleted.

No reference in your reply about the "middle school cafeteria" criteria, interesting how that was dodged? You must box.

After a year of being unfairly treated I though you guys, of all people, would be honest and forthright. I wouldn't wish any recruit on you folks.

This kind of smells of the holier than now attitude Dukes are accused of having.

Your right, you won't have to debate me any more. Maybe you can visit me on another board. Talking about this poorly run board.

I won't get into the "holier than..." whatever. But I will say that it wasn't middle school, nor even grade school, but rather when I was about three.

It's simply a part of life in the Triangle: growing up on a mostly "Duke" street, my brothers' best friends were in a "UNC" family, and the president of the Wolfpack Club lived down the street. And, boy!, did Duke suck for several years in there.

If you see this site as having a double standard, then so be it. DBR is not a democracy, though we do try to be reasonably fair and open.

-jk

Jumbo
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about, especially your comments about "a year of being unfairly treated" (who, you?), "honest and forthright" (huh?) and recruiting (what does that have do with that issue?). Again, the "middle school" talk I mentioned came from a couple of posters who resorted to name calling (calling someone "soggybottoms") or who made homophobic/homoerotic jokes.

Perhaps you think the thread was deleted because of the post you started it with. It wasn't. Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea what you're arguing about. And, once again, J&B's policies are quite clear.

SilkyJ
04-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Maybe you can visit me on another board. Talking about this poorly run board.

Good riddance. Clearly a noob who takes himself way too seriously

BCGroup
04-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Clearly, Dukimac, you have a different agenda. This community tries to balance free expression with a higher level of discourse than you find on many of the other boards. Too often, those deteriorate into back and forth snappings at each other with no content. That would be an example of middle school taunting (coming from a former middle school teacher who saw it firsthand too often). Here, we prefer to discuss items and give concrete, specific examples to back up our points. I didn't read the original banned posts so I cannot speak specifically to that, but the moderators (acting upon direction from J and B) do a good job with a hard task, and they only deserve thanks. Putting GTHC (a traditional Duke chant against our arch-rival) in the same category as postings that are banned is unfair. There are clear guidelines as to violations, and they are posted for everyone to see. You may have found that this simply isn't the right neighborhood for you; if so, we all wish you the best in your new home.

captmojo
04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I feel a strong urge to be middle-schoolish. Go to hell Carolina, go to hell!

Kfanarmy
04-02-2007, 09:21 AM
now that
I feel a strong urge to be middle-schoolish. Go to hell Carolina, go to hell! is taunting

feldspar
04-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Crap. I missed the homoerotic stuff? That's what I get for taking a weekend break from DBR.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
2) Just for transparency, if Ozzie's signature is the point of contention here, we had a discussion about it and came to the uneasy collective conclusion that it had some sort of grandfather clause status. We do wish he'd shrink the dang thing some.

Ozzie's been an active participant in the board for longer than I can remember. His sig is the DBR equivalent of Coach K's story about Tommy Amaker being two minutes late to the bus.

My sig a point of contention? Say it ain't so! On the old board, there were three of four carolina fans who had me on "ignore", which had me on the "top 10 ingored list" for a little while, but not for long. Fortunately, my good friend Wheat was not one of them.

"Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!" Always appropriate, always in good taste!

In defference to Thoaty's request, I have shrunk it, but just a little bit ;) BTW, I do wish the wink wasn't that ugly color blue.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks buddy.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks buddy.

You are welcome, but I think it is too small now, and I only went down one font size. Perhaps I should bold it...

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Wanna center the paradigm of optimism line too while you're in there? (Like the other 2 lines are). I think it'll make margins better on low rez.

edit: gettin my own sig thing together, looks better on 2 lines with no wrap.

RelativeWays
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Wha...what had happened? Seriously this guy is grasping at straws. Does DBR have a pro Duke agenda? Sure, but it is a message board for Duke fans, so go figure. That being said, this board is probably one of the best moderated boards I've frequented. I've never seen the users here try to troll fans of other teams. In fact, i'd say their viewpoint is encouraged (as long as there is actual logic behind it). Too bad Dukeimac's feelings got hurt.