PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame- Texas

dukelifer
11-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Excellent early game- well played with Notre Dame holding on to a slim lead throughout the second half. Notre Dame had a chance to seal it with throws but missed a few in the last couple of minutes. Texas hit a bunch of clutch threes to get it within 1 with 4.5 secs left. Harangody went to the line and missed both! Texas had a mid court shot that hit the front of the rim. Notre Dame will likely play UNC. That should be a good game. Notre Dame is a smart team and has size to match UNC. That game will tell a lot about UNC- assuming they win tonight, that is.

Ders24
11-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I thought ND was more impressive than Texas overall, but did just about everything they could down the stretch to throw the game away. Tomorrow should be a good one.

CameronBornAndBred
11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't watch it, but congrats to Brey! While I hope UNC loses tonight, I'll enjoy it just as much if an ex-Duke coach gets to beat Roy.

dukemomLA
11-26-2008, 02:42 AM
ND did a great job -- especially in the first half. I was disappointed by their play in the 2nd -- they should have put this game away.

Looking forward to their game against UNC. Agreeing with an earlier post -- it will give an example of the true ability of the UNC to come to us.

Congrats to Mike Brey on a great win! (It's really fun to root for Dukies in new coaching positions and in the NBA -- as well as overseas).

Go Notre Dame -- beat those Tarholes. yeah....such an upset that would be.

miramar
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
ND looked more in control as Texas seemed to be forcing some shots, but they started going in at the end. Even the desperation shot at the buzzer was close, so this game almost ended Dockery-style. There was an ACC feel about it with Barnes and Brey, and even some comments about Jay Bilas's waistline and athleticism.

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Tonight's game will be interesting. Several questions I have:

How good is UNC, really? Notre Dame is the first halfway decent team they've played. If they blow the Irish out, I'll be impressed.

Will the 'Holes have enough defensive discipline to stay on Notre Dame's shooters all game?

A Hansflop-Harangody matchup will be interesting. Floppy will get his usual points on putbacks and at the line, but will Harangody be a matchup problem for him by taking him outside like Singler did at UNC last year?

Does Notre Dame have anyone that can stay in front of Lawson?

Is Danny Green going to continue to act like this is his own personal NBA audition against the first quality opponent UNC has faced? Will Ol' Roy put up with him jacking up NBA 3s (granted, he made a few last night) and trying to create 1 on 1 shots in a close game?

Will I watch this game or my brand new Wall-E DVD tonight? Or will I watch the game and watch the Presto short during halftime?

Saratoga2
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
That was a good game to watch with ND and Texas in a real battle all the way. Looking at ND, I see a team with a very good point guard who controls the ball well and the low team turnovers reflect his worth. The other guard, whose name I can't spell), is very good with the ball, has a quick release and is a monster from the 3 point line. Harangoty is a very talent power forward at 6'8", 255. Other than them, they have another decent guard and two big men who appear to be just average players.

Comparing Duke to them is an interesting exercise. We too have a fine point guard but perhaps not quite as good with the ball. Smith is every bit as good defensively and may be a better scorer. Duke has excellent guards in Scheyer and Henderson and also has solid backups in Williams, Paulus and Pocius. They are probably better at going to the basket and probably better defending. What ND has is great ability to shoot the 3, and that makes them a threat in any game, including UNC. Singler is not as strong as Hanangoty but both are really gifted players. I don't see a lot to choose between them.
In the area of the big men, we have Zoubek, Thomas and Plumlee to counter ND. We may have a slight edge. Plus we can bring in McClure to play inside or out. I didn't see anyone on ND with his defensive skills. Right now Czyz is not playing a lot so I can't compare him.

All in all, it would be a very interesting game, with Duke's sustained defensive pressure, slashing to the basket and mid range game being countered but ND's 3 point shooting ability. Lets see how ND fares against UNC. It ought to be interesting.

gw67
11-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree that this should be a good game to watch. ND is an experienced, Top Ten team. The Heels don't need to blow them out to convince me that the Heels are a very good team. I also agree that they haven't played a tough schedule to date but neither have the Devils. Sagarin ranks the UNC SOS as 132 and the Devils' SOS as 177.

gw67

ryan
11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I really like Notre Dame, probably because they remind me of us in years past. I will always appreciate pure shooters like McIlarney. Get 'em Irish.