PDA

View Full Version : Parking/tailgating for Carolina game

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't been to a FB game in a few years but am going Saturday. I don't have a pass. I did look at the parking map on GoDuke. Do the designated public lots fill up? Which ones are the best bet if I can't get there until about 2:30? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Go Devils!

CameronBornAndBred
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I haven't been to a FB game in a few years but am going Saturday. I don't have a pass. I did look at the parking map on GoDuke. Do the designated public lots fill up? Which ones are the best bet if I can't get there until about 2:30? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Go Devils!
If the earliest you can get there is 2:30, you will be sure to face a long walk and traffic. I found this site, it looks like it was updated for the State game, it probably holds true for UNC, but I'd call them for more info.
http://siren.auxserv.duke.edu/parking/visitors/Football.htm
There might be offsite shuttle services also, from South Square and elsewhere, but I don't know.
Also more info here http://siren.auxserv.duke.edu/parking/Events/Football_UNC_2008_Final.htm?DB_OEM_ID=4200

Kimist
11-25-2008, 09:17 PM
If you are coming at 2:30, you might as well park in Chapel Heel and walk over.

Duke is very adamant about prohibiting "off-road" parking anywhere on/near campus, and they will probably also have most legal on-street parking blocked. People will probably be on the shoulders up near 751, Erwin Rd, and other locations but many will be subject to towing.

The usual public lots are available, to include visitor side of WWade, deck near Bryan Center, and lots near LaSalle/Moreene. But access to them will be very congested, and they may be full.

For some strange reason, the hospital parking lots will be virtually empty, but no one can park there.:mad:

In any case, I would suggest trying to get there earlier. You can pretty well forget about any cross-campus traffic. Another option MIGHT be to park somewhere near East Campus and take the bus.

k

devilish
11-26-2008, 06:24 AM
For some strange reason, the hospital parking lots will be virtually empty, but no one can park there.:mad:

k

Strange that the hospital would want spaces available for paitents' visitors.

hughgs
11-26-2008, 07:10 AM

Duke is very adamant about prohibiting "off-road" parking anywhere on/near campus, and they will probably also have most legal on-street parking blocked. People will probably be on the shoulders up near 751, Erwin Rd, and other locations but many will be subject to towing.

The usual public lots are available, to include visitor side of WWade, deck near Bryan Center, and lots near LaSalle/Moreene. But access to them will be very congested, and they may be full.

In any case, I would suggest trying to get there earlier. You can pretty well forget about any cross-campus traffic. Another option MIGHT be to park somewhere near East Campus and take the bus.

k

Look at the shuttle schedule from East Campus. If it's running then you could park near East, take the shuttle, and walk from the Chapel to Wallace Wade.

VAGentleman05
11-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Park in the Central Campus lots, which are free on weekends, and then either walk through the Gardens to West Campus or take the C-2 or C-4 bus over.

4decadedukie
11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Doc,

Your DBR information indicates you’re an alum. If you have a current, plastic/mag strip on rear Alumni Association card (you should get one each year when you pay your DAA dues or a permanent one if you’re a Lifetime DAA member) you can activate the gates of the parking lot behind the Allen Building on weekends (and after 5:00 on weekdays). Obviously, this lot will fill up early, but it's a good place to park and a very pleasant walk to Wade.

Enjoy the game.

blazindw
11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
If you have an Alumni card, it will allow for access to gated lots on weekends. Obviously, the ones close to the stadium will be reserved, but try the ones over between the Allen building and the hospital. I've parked there for several football games/Duke weekends with ease.

EDIT: WOW, 4decadeduke, at the exact same time!! Great minds think alike!

devilsadvocate85
11-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Check your inbox for a private message relating to parking.

asbcheeks
11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
On this subject, does anyone have a spare Iron Duke parking pass that they might be willing to part with for a fun group of young alums? I'm concerned that we'll be tailgating in a sea of baby blue in the public lots.

Getting into town Friday afternoon and willing to pick up at your convenience Friday evening/Sat AM. Thanks!

Kimist
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Strange that the hospital would want spaces available for paitents' visitors.

Ah, the hospital visitor's lots (parking decks) are open as usual, and many football folks do park there. First come, first served, I guess.:o

But there are enormous (employee??) paved lots on Erwin Rd with no one there, and no access. Perhaps the Duke Alumni Card swipe will work for the lots near the gardens, but in the past I've had no success. (Apparently anything to squeeze another $5 out of everyone.)

(Apologies accepted)

k

dukebb444
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
My wife and I are heading down for the game on Saturday. I was wandering if someone could tell me where the best tailgating will be held Saturday and what would be the best time to get there. I will be coming from the Greensboro area so some directions would be helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Green
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
You need to check out this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12691) for the latest in tailgate news.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Read this thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12691
We will be in the B3 lot, which is an Iron Duke only parking lot, but easily accessible from wherever you park. A bunch of DBR posters who have enjoyed each other's company for tailgates this entire season will be there, you are most welcome to join us. Post in the thread and PM for directions if you need them.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
You need to check out this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12691) for the latest in tailgate news.
Yer speedy Bob! Wish you could be there with as well, would love to meet you, we'd all wear Duke blue kimonos in your honor!

dukebb444
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Cameron you have mail!

DukePA
11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Cameron you have mail!

Yee ha!!! More Brunchgaters!!

Ooh! I'm Jeff Capel : )

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Yee ha!!! More Brunchgaters!!

Ooh! I'm Jeff Capel : )
I don't care how far out I am I'm takin the shot and SWISH!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o92H4xXzDOY)

devildeac
11-26-2008, 11:24 PM

k

We parked in one of the hospital lots for the Stones and walked to WW. Good exercise and about 25-30 minutes. And WW was packed that night.

devildeac
11-26-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the pub, Mr. Green;).

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
A thought to whoever handles parking for football games, don't change the gameplan on the last game of the season. The Wannamaker lots were closed for game day, reserverd for students who had stayed over, but not announced very well (or at all). That was a big mistake, they should have asked those students to park on East, they can still easily bus in. And it's only for one day (2 maybe). And to top it off, if you are going to advertise when the lots open, make sure your employees actually show up at said time. I got there at 9:30, and even the Iron Dukes were literally locked out of Wannamaker because some guy wanted to finish his breakfast before he could bothered to open the gates at 9:45. Traffic was backed up with folks trying to get in. Where I eventually parked, the attendants did not arrive until 10:20, and once again traffic was backed up. I watched people do their best to break the gate so they could get their cars through. Very disorganized for such a big game day. If it hadn't been raining, it would have been a nightmare.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2008, 05:29 PM
A thought to whoever handles parking for football games, don't change the gameplan on the last game of the season. The Wannamaker lots were closed for game day, reserverd for students who had stayed over, but not announced very well (or at all). That was a big mistake, they should have asked those students to park on East, they can still easily bus in. And it's only for one day (2 maybe). And to top it off, if you are going to advertise when the lots open, make sure your employees actually show up at said time. I got there at 9:30, and even the Iron Dukes were literally locked out of Wannamaker because some guy wanted to finish his breakfast before he could bothered to open the gates at 9:45. Traffic was backed up with folks trying to get in. Where I eventually parked, the attendants did not arrive until 10:20, and once again traffic was backed up. I watched people do their best to break the gate so they could get their cars through. Very disorganized for such a big game day. If it hadn't been raining, it would have been a nightmare.

Surely you're not suggesting that the success of the football program is inconvenient for anyone in the Athletic Department. ;)

Next year will be a real challenge, won't it?