PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

Faustus
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
In one of the televised games today (already forgot which one it was), the first half ended with a shot at the buzzer that got lodged between the backboard and the rim, which usually leads to an alternating possession (ex-jump ball) situation (doesn't it?). But as it was also the end of the half, the referee just blew the half over and that was that (I think). I forgot to notice who got possession at the beginning of the second half but wouldn't have known the decision by that anyway. So for those rules experts, did the half end with a held ball/alternating possession to be determined by who got to inbounds the ball beginning the second half, or did the first half merely end as a missed shot? Just a little thing I got curious abiut and don't believe I've ever seen before.

Edouble
11-25-2008, 12:38 AM
It ends as a missed shot. The referee has no reason to go the alternating possession arrow, as he doesn't need to award the ball to either team because the buzzer has sounded.

Faustus
11-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks Edouble. Just seemed an odd way to end the half to me, but didn't seem to bother the TV announcers.