PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry

dukelifer
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I wonder if his arms will get tired by the time he plays us. Another 39 tonight. The kid can put up points. Right now- he and Blake Griffin, who is averaging 26 and 20!, are front runners for player of the year.

Wander
11-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I know it's way early, but I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone other than Curry or Griffin won the national player of the year awards.

dukelifer
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
I know it's way early, but I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone other than Curry or Griffin won the national player of the year awards.

Well about 3 weeks ago, Mr. Hansbrough was looking like a pretty strong candidate to repeat.

Davidson09
11-25-2008, 01:16 AM
It's interesting - most/all of his games this season have been seemingly quiet efforts. You'll look up, and all of a sudden, he has 25 points. He is truly a special player; we are a good team. For us to be a great team, however, another 1 - 2 players need to step up. Forward Andrew Lovedale is averaging 12 and 10; if that continues, as well as another player (perhaps SG Bryant Barr, or SF Will Archambault) steps up, we could be a great team.

I truly do get excited each time Curry plays; not entirely for me, but for people who haven't seen him play in person to do so. It really is a treat. For those of you on this board who haven't seen the man play, please make it a point to tune in on January 7 on ESPN (I believe that's our next TV game).

Really looking forward to our matchup with Duke in January. I think you'll see Gerald, Jon and Nolan all switching off defending Curry. Best of luck to Duke this season (my second favorite team), I'm proud of the way they've been playing so far.

Lavabe
11-25-2008, 05:25 AM
It's interesting - most/all of his games this season have been seemingly quiet efforts. You'll look up, and all of a sudden, he has 25 points. He is truly a special player; we are a good team. For us to be a great team, however, another 1 - 2 players need to step up. Forward Andrew Lovedale is averaging 12 and 10; if that continues, as well as another player (perhaps SG Bryant Barr, or SF Will Archambault) steps up, we could be a great team.

I truly do get excited each time Curry plays; not entirely for me, but for people who haven't seen him play in person to do so. It really is a treat. For those of you on this board who haven't seen the man play, please make it a point to tune in on January 7 on ESPN (I believe that's our next TV game).

Most of us recall him in last year's matchup (here's the ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273350150) review of last year's game).

Any changes/improvements in his game since Duke last faced him?
Cheers,
Lavabe

doctorhook
11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Lavabe,

I went to the game in Charlotte and Curry was not as great as his usual self, but he was playing with a wrist splint, similar to G's. Doc

Clipsfan
11-25-2008, 08:46 AM
It's even more impressive that he's averaging 7.8 assists to go with his 35 points per game.

Davidson09
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Most of us recall him in last year's matchup (here's the ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273350150) review of last year's game).

Any changes/improvements in his game since Duke last faced him?
Cheers,
Lavabe

I think there's definitely an improvement in his game from the last time the 'Cats and Devils faced off. For one thing, Steph has been running the point (as has been long speculated); hence, his ballhandling skills have gone up. He's having to make decisions not just concerning him with the ball, but others with the ball (at least, more than he did last year). Also, it doesn't hurt that he picked up tips this summer from LeBron, Steve Nash and Chris Paul.

dukestheheat
11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
clipsfan-

to me, what this says is that he may not have a lot of talent around him. the one game i saw with him earlier this year, he had like 45 of the 70 total points for the team. that is ridiculous in terms of getting others involved. anytime one player means THAT MUCH to a team, that team may falter down the stretch when it meets up with stronger competition.

he's a great player, there is no doubt about it, but they are in need, apparently, of some more scoring from many more members of that team.

my $.02.

dth.

Kim*
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM
That kid is a damn beast.

he's a great player, there is no doubt about it, but they are in need, apparently, of some more scoring from many more members of that team.

I do definitely agree with this, though.

RainingThrees
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
This kid is in insane shape. I saw a vid of him conditioning on ESPN and he just doesn't get tired. Playing the point and handling the scoring may tire him down but only in the ncaa tourney if he does get tired.

FireOgilvie
11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Curry put up 0 points tonight on 0-3 shooting against Loyola (MD). What the heck happened???

From the front page... Does he have a brother? Seth Curry from Charlotte, NC put up 26 tonight for Liberty to beat UVA. He's averaging over 20 points a game.

Edit: It is his brother. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2929420

dukelifer
11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Curry put up 0 points tonight on 0-3 shooting against Loyola (MD). What the heck happened???

From the front page... Does he have a brother? Seth Curry from Charlotte, NC put up 26 tonight for Liberty to beat UVA. He's averaging over 20 points a game.

Edit: It is his brother. http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2929420

He played the whole game. Maybe his arm did get tired. But 0-3? Looks like they put a junk defense on him. Will be interesting to see the recap

juise
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Recap. (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283302166)

wisteria
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
So it seems that they put 2 defenders on him the entire time. And somehow I think Curry just found it comical and decided to "cooperate". So he just stood far away from the action and let the team play 4 on 3. Hilarious.

I'm proud that Duke was the only team that ever held him to single digit. Before today, that is.

Davidson09
11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I just got home, but I felt compelled to comment on the Davidson game tonight. I wasn't at the game (flying home). My friend/roommate/fellow pep band member called me after the game, detailing it to me. Basically, as the recap says, Loyola(MD) literally stuck 2 defenders on Curry every time he touched the ball. But that also forced them to a play a 4 on 3 game with the others.

It was truly a bizarre night. I liked it, though. We all know Curry and score, and could have put up 50 tonight if he wanted to. But this game showed 2 important things. First, that he is a class act - he only took 3 shots, choosing to give the ball up to teammates with better looks. Very team-oriented, despite what current stats might say. Second, it was a very important game for others to gain confidence in themselves. Forward Andrew Lovedale is a double-double man now, I believe - averaging something like 12 and 10 a game. Bryant Barr and Will Archambault got that boost of confidence from tonight and last night that I think will really help us.

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel said that to beat Davidson, you need to contain the others on the team, because Curry will put up numbers on you no matter what. Well, this game sort of tested that. We needed our other guys to be able to make plays and play with confidence that will help us down the road.

P.S. Stpeh's brother, Seth, is a freshman at Liberty (Big South). Liberty just beat UVA tonight. Good win for Liberty. Seth is something special, too.

juise
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
We all know Curry and score, and could have put up 50 tonight if he wanted to. But this game showed 2 important things. First, that he is a class act - he only took 3 shots, choosing to give the ball up to teammates with better looks. Very team-oriented, despite what current stats might say.

I agree with the class act and team involvement thing, but 50 points? Is that hyperbole? It sounds like that defense really forced the ball out of his hands. He would have had to take a lot of tough shots to get to 30, it seems.

P.S. Stpeh's brother, Seth, is a freshman at Liberty (Big South). Liberty just beat UVA tonight. Good win for Liberty. Seth is something special, too.

Thanks for the info. Seth appeared to play well tonight at UVA (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=283300258).

Davidson09
11-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Ah, I should clarify my statement. What I meant to say was that under normal circumstances (Steph gets the team's best defenders, and draws the occasional double team) he could put up 50 points (see: 44 against Oklahoma on an off night). But you're right, tonight, Steph was guarded, it seems, so that he couldn't do much with the ball.

shadowfax336
11-26-2008, 01:00 AM
clipsfan-

to me, what this says is that he may not have a lot of talent around him. the one game i saw with him earlier this year, he had like 45 of the 70 total points for the team. that is ridiculous in terms of getting others involved. anytime one player means THAT MUCH to a team, that team may falter down the stretch when it meets up with stronger competition.

my $.02.

dth.

Apparently the do just fine playing 4-3:). Seriously though, Lovedale is a solid post player and some of their other guys can heat up from long range. And they know what winning is like and play as a team. Don't underestimate the team that they have around him. If you replaced Curry with a solid starting point guard, say a 12ppg 6apg type guy, Davidson would still be a solid midmajor squad and win their conference. As it is they can play with anyone any time anywhere

dukemomLA
11-26-2008, 02:48 AM
I love watching Steph Curry play. I'm always wishing Davidson great success (..well unless they are playing Duke). I truly hope that Curry has a true opportunity to 'show is stuff' in the NBA. (As opposed to JJ who has been buried in the lowly land of the state of Florida).

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
I would love to see a tape of that game. The ESPN.com writeup is hysterical. Leave it to a Gary Williams assistant to have that kind of attitude - caring more that people will remember they "held" Curry scoreless than that they lost by 30. Strong example for the kids there, coach. Don't worry about the fact that Curry decided to go scoreless and watch his teammates rip you to pieces.

dyedwab
11-26-2008, 08:52 AM
... caring more that people will remember they "held" Curry scoreless than that they lost by 30. Strong example for the kids there, coach. Don't worry about the fact that Curry decided to go scoreless and watch his teammates rip you to pieces.

I agree with the sentiment completely. I root for Davidson against everyone but Duke anyway (even) without a Curry-caliber star, they are a tough out because they are always disciplined, patient, and well coached), but really...

Loyola lost by 30 - and didn't abandon their "stop Curry first" strategy even though it clearly didn't work for them to win the game. I hate that kind of thinking.

I feel bad for the players who were subjected to that kind of embarrassment

Wander
11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I really hope no one points to this game in the future as evidence that Curry isn't one of the two best players in the country, when in fact it's evidence of just the opposite.

RepoMan
11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I would love to see a tape of that game. The ESPN.com writeup is hysterical. Leave it to a Gary Williams assistant to have that kind of attitude - caring more that people will remember they "held" Curry scoreless than that they lost by 30. Strong example for the kids there, coach. Don't worry about the fact that Curry decided to go scoreless and watch his teammates rip you to pieces.

I saw that too. Patsos should be ashamed. Happy to be on SC because they held Curry to 0 at the expense of losing the game by 30+. What a joke.

mehmattski
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I think Loyola (MD) should try their "triangle-and-two" strategy on Kyle Singler, when they come to Cameron on New Year's Eve.

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I think Loyola (MD) should try their "triangle-and-two" strategy on Kyle Singler, when they come to Cameron on New Year's Eve.

Nah, they should go with a 2-2-1 defense: 2 on Singler, 2 on Henderson, and 1 on everybody else. That should work out nicely for them. They may lose by 60, but they'll sure keep Singler and Henderson off the SC highlight reel.

phaedrus
11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Gary Williams' former assistant pulls a Gary Williams:

"I'm not some rookie coach,'' said Patsos, a former longtime assistant at Maryland. ''I won a national title as a top assistant coach to Gary Williams."

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Gary Williams' former assistant pulls a Gary Williams:

"I'm not some rookie coach,'' said Patsos, a former longtime assistant at Maryland. ''I won a national title as a top assistant coach to Gary Williams."

Translated: "I looked like a joke with that coaching job? Hey, I'm no joke! Let me recite my resume to prove I'm no joke! I worked with Gary Williams, and he's no joke, so neither am I! So there!" I can't wait until my son is 18 so he can go play for this guy!

juise
11-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Nah, they should go with a 2-2-1 defense: 2 on Singler, 2 on Henderson, and 1 on everybody else. That should work out nicely for them. They may lose by 60, but they'll sure keep Singler and Henderson off the SC highlight reel.

Nah, G would dunk on both of them. :)

Diddy
11-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Here at Duke, and indeed for any other top 25 caliber team, we have the option of playing Davidson straight up and winning the game. We are more talented, by a very wide margin, at every position outside of Curry. In all likelihood we could slow Curry down while shutting down his teammates.

Other schools are not so lucky. If a team has the same talent level or lower than Davidson, then that team cannot play them straight up. There are two options left to that team.

1. Shut Down Curry and make the rest of the team beat you.
2. Turn Curry loose and stop everybody else.

Both options can work. LSU dedicated its entire team effort toward shutting down JJ. It successfully slowed him down, and the rest of Duke's team was not capable of beating LSU.

In recent years, UNC has had trouble winning on days when Hans went nutso, proving option 2 has success. Indeed, last year the key to beating UNC was essentially turning Hans loose and locking down everybody else. Hans is such a ball hog that he doesn't really notice the ploy. Indeed, shutting down Hans and turning the rest of the team loose is pretty much a recipe for getting your rear handed to you on a platter.

Loyola tried one option. It failed rather spectacularly. OK saw Curry go nuts, and still managed to win, which is probably the best option. You can't turn him completely loose, but you assign a guy to guard him and don't help. Everybody else stays with their guy.

Loyola probably feared they couldn't stop everybody else, so they tried to stop one guy, which is easier.

Regardless, even if the entire D concentrating on one player, a truly elite player doesn't get shut out. If nothing else, he gets to the line for some freethrows. Curry will have to really do something to prove he belongs back in the NPOY discussion. It will take a huge performance in win over a national power to do so.

Not that it matters. If Hans averages 20 and 10 (approximately), for a team that increasingly looks likely to enter March with less than 2 losses, it is his award. He will be a dominant player on the dominant team. He is a senior who has passed up the pros, so he will win the award. If UNC loses more than expected, Griffeth or Curry could sneak back in.

But Curry was bound to disappear from the national conscience once his conf started and he went off against inferior foes. It isn't fair, but that's the way this world works.

ArnieMc
11-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Back in the day, the Duke freshmen played a box and one against Pistol Pete's prep school. The box was on Pete with the one chasing the rest. He still dropped 50, but we won. :)

Ders24
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Regardless, even if the entire D concentrating on one player, a truly elite player doesn't get shut out. If nothing else, he gets to the line for some freethrows. Curry will have to really do something to prove he belongs back in the NPOY discussion. It will take a huge performance in win over a national power to do so.

But Curry was bound to disappear from the national conscience once his conf started and he went off against inferior foes. It isn't fair, but that's the way this world works.

I think that this defense was much more extreme than a normal triangle and two. As the point guard, Curry was able to effectively distribute, basically remove himself from the play, and still draw two defenders. I think this is a mark of an incredibly mature player. Rather than trying to force shots, he was content with his team pulling out a win (and winning by a lot). I don't know if a lot of people will see it this way, but that is my take on his play in this game.

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I think that this defense was much more extreme than a normal triangle and two. As the point guard, Curry was able to effectively distribute, basically remove himself from the play, and still draw two defenders. I think this is a mark of an incredibly mature player. Rather than trying to force shots, he was content with his team pulling out a win (and winning by a lot). I don't know if a lot of people will see it this way, but that is my take on his play in this game.

Absolutely. The triangle and two is a 3 man zone with 2 players matching up man-to-man with 2 players from the other team. What Loyola did last night was put 2 on Curry alone. What is fascinating (wierd, actually), was that when Curry decided to simply remove himself from the offense and let his team take Loyola 4 on 3, Loyola persisted with this tactic even as the game got out of hand.

I don't have a problem with extreme tactics, even trying the desperation tactic of 2 on Curry, 3 on the other 4 guys. But when Curry turned it into a 4 on 3 ball game, and Loyola was getting killed, why keep with the tactic? Loyola's coach made the conscious decision to lose the game rather than let Curry go off, which is a disservice to Curry, Davidson, the fans, and his own players.

dukelifer
11-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Not that it matters. If Hans averages 20 and 10 (approximately), for a team that increasingly looks likely to enter March with less than 2 losses, it is his award. He will be a dominant player on the dominant team. He is a senior who has passed up the pros, so he will win the award. If UNC loses more than expected, Griffeth or Curry could sneak back in.

If Curry hits big numbers against Duke, State and Purdue- he will be in the mix - particularly if he averages 30 or more. His performance in the tourney last year has already elevated him to star status. Granted he is not 100%, but Hansbrough will need to have some monster games as well. Right now - he is 4 of 12 from the floor with 5.5rpg. Hitting 80+% of his throws alone - even a lot of them- will probably not win it for him- even if UNC has a great year.

davekay1971
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
No question that Hansbrough has some legitimate POY competition this year. Curry and Blake Griffin have come out of the gate very strong. Singler, IMHO, may be on his way to POY consideration (in the conversation, anyway), especially if he keeps being our do-everything guy and we enter the NCAAs as a true title contender. Curry has to make his mark in certain "spotlight" games against nationally recognized competition. 30 ppg in SoCon play won't do much for his chances, but numbers like he put up vs Oklahoma when he plays State, Duke, Purdue, and West Virginia will keep him at the forefront of the national consciousness.

RepoMan
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Loyola probably feared they couldn't stop everybody else, so they tried to stop one guy, which is easier.

You give Patsos way too much credit. In his own words:

"We had to play against an NBA player tonight," Patsos explained. "Anybody else ever hold him scoreless? I'm a history major. They're going to remember that we held him scoreless or we lost by 30?"

This suggests that the goal was not to win by shutting down Curry, but instead was simply to shut down Curry. That is a loser mentality in a major way, and that is why Patsos is a joke.

Davidson09
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't have a problem with extreme tactics, even trying the desperation tactic of 2 on Curry, 3 on the other 4 guys. But when Curry turned it into a 4 on 3 ball game, and Loyola was getting killed, why keep with the tactic? Loyola's coach made the conscious decision to lose the game rather than let Curry go off, which is a disservice to Curry, Davidson, the fans, and his own players.

I completely agree. That is one of the things most Davidson fans (and I suspect, fans of college basketball in general) were none-too-pleased at. Patsos completely disregarded his players, his school, the game of basketball and the idea of sportsmanship in order to get some meaningless statistic. If anything, it showed that Curry truly is a great player, with his team first attitude.

There was one point where Curry literally stood behind midcourt during an offensive play. With his two defenders. That's not just extreme, that's comical. And sad.

Oh well.

phaedrus
11-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Why all this talk about how Duke might shut down Curry? We have the ultimate Curry-stopper.

It's time Curry met the real Davidson. Jordan Davidson.

Wander
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Please. Curry could have dropped 20 on these guys if he really wanted to, but he instead saw a much easier and more effective way to help his team. This performance makes me more convinced that Curry is the best player in the country, not less. Not only has Curry not left the NPOY discussion, he's arguably the favorite.

This ain't college football. Recently, we've had NPOYs from non BCS conferences (2004, 2005) and from teams that weren't serious title contenders (2005, 2007). College basketball does a reasonably good job in giving out its award and selecting its playoff fields.

camion
11-26-2008, 06:12 PM
We already knew that Curry was an outstanding player. The game last night demonstrated that he is a great teammate and person. I'll be pulling for him in every game from here on out. I just won't be pulling for Davidson to win in that one particular game on January 7.

Davidson09
11-27-2008, 12:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Duke plays Loyola (MD) sometime soon. And I believe it's a TV game.

The entire country can see the craziness of Coach Patsos. Of course, I find it hard to believe he'd try the same BS tactic he did against Davidson.

P.S. Blake Griffin had a MONSTER game tonight.

Clipsfan
11-27-2008, 01:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Duke plays Loyola (MD) sometime soon. And I believe it's a TV game.

The entire country can see the craziness of Coach Patsos. Of course, I find it hard to believe he'd try the same BS tactic he did against Davidson.

P.S. Blake Griffin had a MONSTER game tonight.

As good as his stats were tonight (32 and 15) they're not as good as his last game (35 and 21). Tonight was his worst rebounding game (he came in averaging 20) and his worst scoring game so far is 20. Sick.

I'm still rooting for Curry.

Davidson09
11-27-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm still rooting for Curry, too :)

Even though OU won by 10, they were tied wth UAB very close into the game, and I believe UAB led for some/a lot of the way.

OU had to pull this one out, kudos to them for being a gritty team.

oli-p
11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
So it seems that they put 2 defenders on him the entire time. And somehow I think Curry just found it comical and decided to "cooperate". So he just stood far away from the action and let the team play 4 on 3. Hilarious.

I'm proud that Duke was the only team that ever held him to single digit. Before today, that is.

In the 1991 tournament Bobby Knight was asked how his team was going to stop Shaq from scoring 35 points. Knight replied that they wouldn't keep Shaq from scoring 35, but no one else on LSU would score. They won that game. I like your analysis of cooporation and leaving a game of 4 on 3. With Division I athletes that isn't going to work very often.

JasonEvans
11-27-2008, 12:01 PM
So, Seth Curry is blowing up (beating an ACC team and scoring 26) as a freshman at Liberty. Is there anyone on the planet surprised at this?!?!?! Why didn't more mainstream schools go after this kid?!?!

His dad was a little regarded recruit who went to a smallish school and blew up in college to become a stud pro.

His brother was a little regarded recruit who went to a smallish school and blew up in college to become a stud pro prospect who will go in the lottery when he comes out.

Now Seth comes along and no one looks at him as a player?!?!? Are you kidding me? If I was a lower-end SEC or ACC team I would have been all over this kid. Why didn't Ga Tech go hard after him? What about Clemson? Heck, he was in Charlotte for high school, why didn't Charlotte recruit him or NC State for that matter? Va Tech apparently got involved, but did not push too much and never made an offer. Davidson offered but he did not want to be in his brother's shadow.

--Jason "sigh-- sometimes recruiting really is easy if you bother to THINK" Evans

Davidson09
11-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I just wanted to share this article with you all.

http://www.davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php?t=7556

Happy thanksgiving!!

Davidson09
11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Rather, here's the article.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/11137142

jimsumner
11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure I'd consider VT a smallish school.

But Dell Curry was pretty darn good.

From about a year ago, before Stephen became a cover boy.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120507aad.html

dyedwab
11-28-2008, 12:12 PM
So, Seth Curry is blowing up (beating an ACC team and scoring 26) as a freshman at Liberty. Is there anyone on the planet surprised at this?!?!?! Why didn't more mainstream schools go after this kid?!?!

His dad was a little regarded recruit who went to a smallish school and blew up in college to become a stud pro.

His brother was a little regarded recruit who went to a smallish school and blew up in college to become a stud pro prospect who will go in the lottery when he comes out.

Now Seth comes along and no one looks at him as a player?!?!? Are you kidding me? If I was a lower-end SEC or ACC team I would have been all over this kid. Why didn't Ga Tech go hard after him? What about Clemson? Heck, he was in Charlotte for high school, why didn't Charlotte recruit him or NC State for that matter? Va Tech apparently got involved, but did not push too much and never made an offer. Davidson offered but he did not want to be in his brother's shadow.

--Jason "sigh-- sometimes recruiting really is easy if you bother to THINK" Evans

This is exactly what I was thinking. When you see what Stephen Curry did at Davidson, the real question is why DIDN'T a power conference school take a flier on Sean...Seriously. I mean, it's clear the kid can play at some level of ACC competition.

And, what is even more surprising is that some coach who has a history with turning more unsung recruits into stars (think Gary Williams with a guy like Joe Smith or Juan Dixon) didn't take a run at him

davekay1971
12-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Up to the mods if they want to keep this, but there have been a lot of Steph Curry threads already this year, and I thought it might be useful to just have on thread to link to as the season goes on.

I've been a pretty open Curry fan on the board. IMHO, he's the most exciting player in college hoops not wearing a Duke uniform in a long time.... He's obviously not a perfect player, but he's fun to watch.

Last night against Chattanooga, 41 points on 22 shots with 4 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, and 5 turnovers. 31 points were in the second half, which is pretty impressive no matter who you're playing. Davidson, interestingly, was behind at halftime and won 100-95.

Davidson09
12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow. Hell of a game. UTC led for a lot of it. They had a great shooting night. #0 Stephen McDowell (also pronounced Steff-in) shot 6-15 from the 3 for a total of 31 points.

Davidson played well offensively, but our perimeter defense was a little suspect. If the Duke-vs-Purdue team shows up on January 7, Davidson absolutely cannot bring the same type of defense. Forward Andrew Lovedale grabbed a career high 18 boards, though - solid.

Chattanooga has a record of 1-6 or 1-7 right now, i can't remember, but that is entirely too misleading. they played teams like memphis and temple and tennessee very well, losing to, i believe, 3 or 4 top 25 teams in their first 6 games. the will win 14-15 games in the southern conference (out of a total of 20).

Steph Curry with 41. 14-18 from the free throw line, though. We were up 92-78 with about 3 or 4 minutes left; suddenly, it was 97-95 us with 21 seconds left. In the end, free throws secured it. Perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the night - G/F William Archambault. 4-6 from the three point line, 20 points overall, and a huge dunk. Gave him that boost of confidence he needs to go into big games like Purdue and Duke. This is true with Purdue, but more true with Duke: Davidson absolutely needs 1-2 other scoring options besides Steph in order to win. Will showed tonight that against a hot team, he can make clutch shots to keep us in the game.

Steph also dunked late in the second half. Kinda funny/unnecessary: Coach was less than happy; the game wasn't over yet.

Davidson is learning more and more how to gel together as a team. Guys are finding other open guys, making sensible passes, and setting better screens. Our offense is starting to take shape, but we have a ways to go.

But, amidst all my critique, Davidson is 8-1, having beaten a quality NC State team (that will do damage in the ACC) and a quality WVU team (that plays very physically and will make the tourney this year).

Go 'Cats and Go Duke.

dukelifer
12-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Up to the mods if they want to keep this, but there have been a lot of Steph Curry threads already this year, and I thought it might be useful to just have on thread to link to as the season goes on.

I've been a pretty open Curry fan on the board. IMHO, he's the most exciting player in college hoops not wearing a Duke uniform in a long time.... He's obviously not a perfect player, but he's fun to watch.

Last night against Chattanooga, 41 points on 22 shots with 4 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, and 5 turnovers. 31 points were in the second half, which is pretty impressive no matter who you're playing. Davidson, interestingly, was behind at halftime and won 100-95.

I am a Curry fan as well and I hope he will average 30+ and knock off Hansbrough or Lawson for player of the year.

MChambers
12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I am a Curry fan as well and I hope he will average 30+ and knock off Hansbrough or Lawson for player of the year.

Don't even have to be a Curry fan to feel this way!

brevity
12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
You can already see Stephen Curry (and Blake Griffin) splitting national honors with Tyler Hansbrough. There'll be no consensus this year. Mr. Deer-in-Headlights will win something -- he won't be shut out altogether.

(It would be nice to see Hansbrough lose votes to his teammates. I'm not convinced he's the best player on his own team right now, though he does unleash the gaudy stats in conference play.)

wisteria
12-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Actually, I'm all for Hansbrough to get that POY.

You see, POY and No.1 ranking are like two of the most effective curses on National Championships. Very few teams survived that. :D