PDA

View Full Version : Google Pictures from Life Magazine

robobevan
11-24-2008, 08:30 AM
A couple interesting things from the old Life Magazine pictures on Google
1-I was wondering where the students were as all the people on the lower level in Cameron were dressed up in jackets and ties. Then I realized those were the students!! Definitely no face painting going on back then
2-No lower bleachers at one end of the stadium and it looked liked the teams were sitting at the other end rather than on the sidelines
I'm sure Jim Sumner and others who remember thoses days can add to this

lawdevil
11-24-2008, 09:01 AM
I also noticed number 21 for Temple - an African American player. In 1951, that had to a rare occurrence in Cameron.

hurleyfor3
11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Also the students were sitting. Hope those benches were comfortable.

A little sleuthing reveals this was the 1951-52 home opener, played on December 1, 1951. We ended up beating Temple 85-48.

Great pictures. But my favorite in the Life archive is this one (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=c46f2974606cab88&q=Barbarella+source:life&ei=LrgqSabVLYL0MMPu7KEC&sig2=AsvA6MNxOotntLFBGsQo7A&usg=__M6QiQmIttOgT2RXgC5XNCEwKDvU%3D&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBarbarella%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den).

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Bunch of guys wearing Navy uniforms in the front row. I tried looking up Temple's roster that year, but no luck. Curious to know who #21 is. Did find out that Bill Mlkvy (The Owl Without a Vowel) set a record for 73 points in one game that year. Luckily, not against us.

Indoor66
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Bunch of guys wearing Navy uniforms in the front row. I tried looking up Temple's roster that year, but no luck. Curious to know who #21 is. Did find out that Bill Mlkvy (The Owl Without a Vowel) set a record for 73 points in one game that year. Luckily, not against us.

What the hey? He has a "sometimes Y" at the end! :)

duke'61
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
The African American player from Temple was the first time Cameron, then Duke Indoor Stadium, was integrated. I believe it was about the same time the Dixie Classic was integrated.
Other interesting Duke accounts in football--sorry I don't have the exact date at hand but I think in the late thirties Duke played Syracuse away and as was the custom Wade was asked if he wanted to play against their African American all american player. It seems northern teams bowed to southern sentiment in that regard! Wade, a southerner who had played next to an African American in the line at Brown, told the coach to play him, we want to beat you at your best. Duke won and the game was another building block in creating the Wade legacy at Duke and on the national scene.
The first integration of Duke home football was when Pittsburgh came to Durham in 1950 I believe. President Edens issued a press release the morning of the game saying Duke welcomed all players to Durham.

Grey Devil
11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
These Life Magazine pictures made me wonder when smoking was finally outlawed in CIS. I was there 67-71 and there was still plenty of smoke in the air then. I remember coming out after a game, breathing the fresh air, and wondering how an athletic event could possibly even be held there....

Anyone know when smoking in CIS was finally stopped?

Grey Devil

hurleyfor3
11-24-2008, 09:35 PM
These Life Magazine pictures made me wonder when smoking was finally outlawed in CIS. I was there 67-71 and there was still plenty of smoke in the air then. I remember coming out after a game, breathing the fresh air, and wondering how an athletic event could possibly even be held there....

Anyone know when smoking in CIS was finally stopped?

Grey Devil

I think the 1990-91 season was the first in which there was no smoking anywhere in Cameron. During the 1990 season it was definitely allowed in the corridor, as the gym would inevitably fill up with smoke at the start of the second half.

Hmmmm, and that was the year we won our first championship.

Indoor66
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I think the 1990-91 season was the first in which there was no smoking anywhere in Cameron. During the 1990 season it was definitely allowed in the corridor, as the gym would inevitably fill up with smoke at the start of the second half.

Hmmmm, and that was the year we won our first championship.

I don't recall the exact year, but IRRC, smoking was banned in the mid 1970's after Margaret-Rose Sanford (the President's wife) had a hole burned in her sweater by a smoking fan. After that incident, and also as good policy, smoking was banned inside Cameron. Suddenly the haze disappeared from the view from the upstairs seats.

orrnot
11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
The writer discussed in the other thread, who credits Cameron fans w/introducing the R rating to sports, should take note of the 1950's pictures from the Duke-Georgia Tech football game. The Georgia Tech band bus is emblazoned with "Dodd Damn Duke."

The football and basketball shots are simply wonderful. Isn't it a switch that Cameron seems to have lots of open space on the floor, while Wallace Wade is packed high and low w/extra seats to cram in the fans.

I love the shots of the two guys sitting on the football scoreboard framework. The 1980s-90s scoreboard was affixed to that same old frame, barely within the curve of the track.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
The writer discussed in the other thread, who credits Cameron fans w/introducing the R rating to sports, should take note of the 1950's pictures from the Duke-Georgia Tech football game. The Georgia Tech band bus is emblazoned with "Dodd Damn Duke."

The football and basketball shots are simply wonderful. Isn't it a switch that Cameron seems to have lots of open space on the floor, while Wallace Wade is packed high and low w/extra seats to cram in the fans.

I love the shots of the two guys sitting on the football scoreboard framework. The 1980s-90s scoreboard was affixed to that same old frame, barely within the curve of the track.
The football pictures from the early fifties Duke - Georgia Tech football game were interesting. You can tell it was Homecoming because of the mums some of the women were wearing. (Georgia Tech and Clemson have been frequent opponents for Homecoming over the years.) There were several pictures of freshmen wearing their "dinks" at the game. The coaches along the sidelines were truly great names from the past. How about the card section in Wallace Wade? And check out those "temporary" bleachers still in use after the Rose Bowl played in Durham. I can tell you from experience, there was an abundance of splinters still there in the early sixties! What a delight to see the stadium packed.....

As we look ahead to Saturday and a major blue out, GTHC GTH!