PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Michigan (I)

Jumbo
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
A few interesting notes from this one. Duke went deep early, and the Smith-Pocius-Williams-McClure-Zoubek group more than held its own against Michigan's subs. I was particularly impressed with how well Pocius and Williams performed against Michigan's zone and all the backcuts on offense, given the limited preparation time and their relative inexperience (for Pocius in games, for Williams, in college, period). We also saw that the team continues to run much more efficiently with Smith in the game than with Paulus playing. We'll see if that trend continues. Anyway, on to the stats ...

Individuals
Nolan Smith 51-29 (+22)
Jon Scheyer 53-40 (+13)
Brian Zoubek 26-13 (+13)
Kyle Singler 63-51 (+12)
Gerald Henderson 49-42 (+7)
Elliot Williams 26-19 (+7)
David McClure 21-14 (+7)
Greg Paulus 30-29 (+1)
Martynas Pocius 10-9 (+1)
Lance Thomas 26-28 (-2)
Miles Plumlee 0-3 (-3)
Olek Czyz 0-3 (-3)

Per 40 Minutes
Brian Zoubek +43.3
Nolan Smith +33.8
David McClure +21.5
Elliot Williams +20
Jon Scheyer +17.9
Kyle Singler +13.7
Gerald Henderson +10
Martynas Pocius +5.7
Greg Paulus +2.5
Lance Thomas -5
Miles Plumlee -60
Olek Czyz -60

Lineups
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x3) 18-11 (+7)
Smith-Pocius-Williams-McClure-Zoubek 8-2 (+6)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler 6-0 (+6)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 8-3 (+5)
Paulus-Smith-Williams-Singler-Thomas 4-2 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x2) 5-4 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x4) 10-10 (0)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 6-7 (-1)
Paulus-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 4-5 (-1)
Paulus-Pocius-Williams-Singler-Thomas 2-4 (-2)
Paulus-Pocius-Williams-Czyz-Plumlee 0-3 (-3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 0-5 (-5)

MChambers
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I think, however, that the 40 minute numbers are wrong.

Edit: Now they seem right. Did you edit them, or am I losing my mind?

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
About what I would have expected, maybe would've expected Lance's to be a little higher.

Jumbo
11-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I think, however, that the 40 minute numbers are wrong.

Thanks. I had copied and pasted the regular numbers twice. It's fixed.

ACCBBallFan
11-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Of course sample size in any one game is very small but that worst combination surprisingly got better subbing Elliott in for G.

I would hope Duke does not often play Singler at 5 with McClure at 4 and Paulus at PG concurrently, since center can just gaurd McClure and more mobile big can guard Singler. Similarly best wing defender can gaurd Elliott/G and slower guy can guard Greg.

So not surprising that the combination had negative +/- for a couple reasons dependng on who was on the floor against them.

Jumbo
11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Of course sample size in any one game is very small but that worst combination surprisingly got better subbing Elliott in for G.

I would hope Duke does not often play Singler at 5 with McClure at 4 and Paulus at PG concurrently, since center can just gaurd McClure and more mobile big can guard Singler. Similarly best wing defender can gaurd Elliott/G and slower guy can guard Greg.

So not surprising that the combination had negative +/- for a couple reasons dependng on who was on the floor against them.

Actually, I think that's a reasonably solid combination. You need to stop thinking of basketball as a series of one-on-one matchups. For instance, when Greg is in the game, Duke needs better help D in the frontcourt. Singler and McClure are excellent help defenders, which helps mask some of Greg's weaknesses, which helps the team play better as a whole.

Jumbo
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Had to fix a couple of stats -- all set now.