PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to really be excited about yet

NYC Duke Fan
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes we are 5-0. We beat Presbyterian, Georgia Southern , Michigan, Southern Illinois and almost lost to Rhode Island at home.

The team will obviously improve, but until we play Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, and Maryland I will hold back my enthusiasm for this year's team.

It is not meant to be a downer, just realism taking hold.

Indoor66
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes we are 5-0. We beat Presbyterian, Georgia Southern , Michigan, Southern Illinois and almost lost to Rhode Island at home.

The team will obviously improve, but until we play Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, and Maryland I will hold back my enthusiasm for this year's team.

I'm sure glad to see that the glass is half empty. I was getting worried.

dukebballcamper90-91
11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
We already look better than last year, why not be excited. I would love to Hendo become a threat from the 3 point line. Our D is looking real good. Heck I'm so excited I want sleep tonight waiting for the game tomorrow.

juise
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
The team doesn't have to accomplish much to gain my enthusiasm. They wear a D-U-K-E uniform, play a good number of games in Cameron, and have a HOF (and Olympic champion) coach. There are a ton more reasons to love this year's team, but the aforementioned three are enough to get me excited.

Let's go, Duke!

RelativeWays
11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
We already look better than last year, why not be excited. I would love to Hendo become a threat from the 3 point line. Our D is looking real good. Heck I'm so excited I want sleep tonight waiting for the game tomorrow.

Not really. From November to January last year (really to the 1st UNC game) we were playing some of the best basketball in the nation and would have been a final four team.

Right now, this team is still finding itself with a new PG, with outside shots not falling, trying to integrate new rotations and personel. Seeing us create and score when the 3 pointers are not falling gives me a ton of hope for this coming March (not to mention the awakening of G, the coming of age of Nolan and LT and Zoubs contributing on both ends of the floor).

dukelifer
11-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Well, Duke does not play UNC until February 11- so it will be a long while before you will even have a chance to be enthusiastic.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm pretty sure there is something to be excited about. Namely, that we get to watch another Duke team work its way through a season. Enjoy watching the team develop and win games. Worry about games we might lose when we lose them.

People are worried about repeating our recent tournament woes, but don't start worrying about that now, it is WAY to early to tell. Just have fun and enjoy the season, hopefully thats what the team is doing.

jimsumner
11-22-2008, 09:41 PM
"We beat Presbyterian, Georgia Southern , Michigan, Southern Illinois and almost lost to Rhode Island at home."

Just curious but if we replace Georgia Southern with Houston and replace Michigan with UCLA, could we be enthusiastic?

But they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Duke did.

Clearly, Duke isn't a well-honed machine. But it's not even Thanksgiving yet and I think things look pretty good from that perspective.

dyedwab
11-22-2008, 09:50 PM

So, quick question. Have we beaten the teams on our schedule so far? I think we might have.

For me, the best part of Duke basketball has always been watching our team turn into what we eventually become. Which means it is seeing the improvement in our players.

If you can't enjoy the improvement in players like Thomas, Zoubek, Henderson, etc., if it doesn't seem obvious that they are better players, then I guess its hard to actually enjoy watching the team.

Sorry about that.

Newton_14
11-22-2008, 09:55 PM
So since you are not excited about the team yet, and our gridiron guys let a winnable game pass them by today, here is a little something to lift the spirits of all

Va Tech got beat by yet another half court dagger at the buzzer.. this time courtesy of Xavier.. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9dTHUctVg

Bob Green
11-22-2008, 10:19 PM
The victory over Rhode Island was exciting. Going to NYC and winning the 2K Sports Classic at MSG was exciting. The season is young, but I've been excited more than once already. Enjoy the ride!

Ignatius07
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Not really. From November to January last year (really to the 1st UNC game) we were playing some of the best basketball in the nation and would have been a final four team.

Right now, this team is still finding itself with a new PG, with outside shots not falling, trying to integrate new rotations and personel. Seeing us create and score when the 3 pointers are not falling gives me a ton of hope for this coming March (not to mention the awakening of G, the coming of age of Nolan and LT and Zoubs contributing on both ends of the floor).

Definitely agree that compared to last season at this time we don't look nearly as good. But I am not worried in the slightest - whereas in past years I might have been - because I know how last year ended. We looked so, so good in the beginning only to barely beat Belmont and lose in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. I'd rather see a team that struggles to define its role - but still show very impressive glimmers of excellence and individual improvement - than have a team that looked tops in the nation in November and December like the past few years for Duke.

Ignatius07
11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
All this has me wondering - aren't we due a Phase II from Jumbo right around now? Maybe it was pushed back since we didn't actually play UCLA.

ugadevil
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people actually enjoy being a Duke fan and have fun watching games or if it's something that stresses them out and makes them nervous. Cheering for a team and hoping they win is supposed to be fun!

ACCBBallFan
11-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Coach K obviously thinks this team is a lot better than last year. he has replaced two of his starters Paulus and Lance with guys who strengthen his team at its two weakest points, and still has both of them to sub in with more experience as situation warrants.

Losing Demarcus is non trivial but Scheyer is playing great and Elliott/Marty will develop.

Once Miles gets back into the rotation more regularly Duke is going to be tough to beat, and has experienced guys years of service wise in McClure and Marty as insurance who know the Duke system.

Olek gives him someone very athletic to simulate in practice what upcoming foes may throw Duke's way. Practices are so competitive games will come easier, as everyone is pushed to contunuously improve.

NYC Duke Fan
11-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Well, Duke does not play UNC until February 11- so it will be a long while before you will even have a chance to be enthusiastic..

Purdue - December 2
Xavier- December 20
Davidson- January 7
Georgetown- January 17
Maryland - January 24

NYC Duke Fan
11-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Sometimes I wonder if people actually enjoy being a Duke fan and have fun watching games or if it's something that stresses them out and makes them nervous. Cheering for a team and hoping they win is supposed to be fun!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!! And it is going to be an excellent season watching the team this year, knowing that they will improve and hoping that they do much, much better in the tournament than the last 2 disasters that befell them .

I love Duke basketball, love Coach K, ( had an opportunity to meet and chat with him several years back when he was the keynote speaker at a conference that I was attending ). This has nothing to do with the fact that I can temper my enthusiasm after 5 wins in a very mediocre at best early schedule.

I will be rooting as hard as anyone on this Board for Duke to win every game this year...I tape every game that I cannot watch and all my friendas know not to call me after a game because they don't know if I am watching it live or later on tape.

bludvlman
11-23-2008, 02:48 AM
I have been probably his biggest critic but Big Z's progression has me very excited. Also Lance is becoming a force and is clearly our best low post player. I was excited about Plumlee but that has worn off.

Bob Green
11-23-2008, 03:21 AM
I was excited about Plumlee but that has worn off.

Your excitement has worn off after five games? Dude - give the guy a chance. He needs to learn the system, adjust the speed of the college game, yada yada yada . . . Plumlee will be fine. We need him to be part of our triple-headed post presence.

heyman25
11-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Zoubek has 6 letters. "Big Z" " Zoubs" the names Duke fans come up with is funny. He had his best games and he lacked confidence up until now. He should have something to build on plus he has Miles Plumlee to go against in practice.By the time we play Hansborough, I hope he can give us 20 minutes. I hope our shooting improves because it has been subpar in the first 5 games.The Elliott Nolan combo could be a force down the road. At least there will be a lot of options. If Zoubek Thomas and Plumlee can hold down the 5 Kyle will be very effective scoring inside and outside.

dukelifer
11-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Purdue - December 2
Xavier- December 20
Davidson- January 7
Georgetown- January 17
Maryland - January 24

But you mentioned that you would hold back your enthusiasm UNTIL Duke played all these teams including UNC. I understand what you are saying in that Duke has really not played anyone yet. But I don't think anyone here is thinking Duke is a dominant team because they won five games. In fact, I cannot think of one team that is dominant yet- including UNC whose depth now is only looking fair. It will be interesting to see who emerges. Duke has as good a chance as anyone if its three-headed Center can take form.

Exiled_Devil
11-23-2008, 08:34 AM

Purdue - December 2
Xavier- December 20
Davidson- January 7
Georgetown- January 17
Maryland - January 24

Your post said "AND" which means all, not some.

If you haven't been excited yet, if you haven't had any enthusiasm, I feel sorry for you. This is what beng a fan is about - celebrating all along the way. Coach K even said that the Olympics this year taught him to not play against the past. It would be refreshing to see more fans root for the current team and not trying to fit them into some pantheon of DukeBasketball.

Be ethusiastic every time Gerald out-reaches a guy 6 inches taller at for the jump ball. Be enthusiastic for every dunk, drive, three pointer, drawn charge, solid defensive coverage. Enjoy the whole season, not just some games in late February and March.

CathyCA
11-23-2008, 08:46 AM

Nothing to be excited about?

We are Duke! That's plenty to be excited about.

I'm going to be at Cameron Indoor this afternoon for the Montana game, and I am as excited about this game as I am about any other. I can't wait to see our team play.

9F 9F 9F

Edouble
11-23-2008, 11:31 AM

Purdue - December 2
Xavier- December 20
Davidson- January 7
Georgetown- January 17
Maryland - January 24

OK, but you said that you would hold back your enthusiasm until we play Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, and Maryland, not Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, or Maryland. That means that we have to play all of those teams, and then you will be excited. I guess that's not what you meant though. :o

dukegirlinsc
11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't say there's nothing to be excited about it. It's Duke basketball season, that's reason enough to be excited.

jpfrizzle
11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
We are Duke! That's plenty to be excited about.

how could you not be excited?

NYC Duke Fan
11-23-2008, 03:23 PM
OK, but you said that you would hold back your enthusiasm until we play Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, and Maryland, not Purdue, Georgetown, Xavier, UNC, Wake, Miami, or Maryland. That means that we have to play all of those teams, and then you will be excited. I guess that's not what you meant though. :o

You are correct. I did not mean AND. I just wanted to see Duke play a few high quality teams. I am always excited to see Duke play,..( see my other post ).