PDA

View Full Version : Duke 78, Montana 58

ArnieMc
11-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Did anyone know that we have a game tomorrow at 1:00? Is anyone carrying it on TV? GoDuke lists FSNS/NESN, but I don't seem to get them. ESPN360 also doesn't list them.

Bob Green
11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I listen to a lot of these early season games on the radio (I'm listening to the football game as I type). Here is a link:

http://www.wsfl.com

ccrazies_708
11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
If anybody lives in Chicago, and has Comcast, please help me out-

I could not find the channel FSN anywhere. I vaguely recall ComcastSportsNet doubling with FSN last year for ACC games, but I was wondering if a) this year will be the same, or if not, b) what channel (number) FSN is.

Thanks

jpfrizzle
11-23-2008, 10:25 AM
The game will be on FoxSports channel 420(Dish Network) on my end.

(if you live in america)
check your TV listing:
msn. foxsports .com/tv/schedule
(just enter your zip code)

I hope I helped!!

~jp

Bluedog
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
If anybody lives in Chicago, and has Comcast, please help me out-

I could not find the channel FSN anywhere. I vaguely recall ComcastSportsNet doubling with FSN last year for ACC games, but I was wondering if a) this year will be the same, or if not, b) what channel (number) FSN is.

Thanks

The game isn't even on FSN. It's on FSN-South, which you don't get in Chicago. FSN does double with ComcastSportsNet, though, so if it was on "normal" FSN it would be on ComcastSportsNet. In this case, however, you're out of luck.

juise
11-23-2008, 12:04 PM
It looks like DirecTV channel 646... I hope it's not blacked out.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see MSDukie's thread. Sorry for reposting... and missing that it's on 628 as well.

loran16
11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Word is (from my roomate) that Paulus (re?)injured his hand? Anyone got any information on this?

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Word is (from my roomate) that Paulus (re?)injured his hand? Anyone got any information on this?
Hope that's not true. I haven't read anything about it.
P.S. The signature is hilarious.

-jk
11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, from Cameron, he's dressed but not warming up.

-jk

Skitzle
11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
WAs just stated on the radio that Greg will not play today

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Cell-R
11-23-2008, 01:26 PM
The freshmen were playing...
Until they blew the lead.
Let's go Zoubek!

yancem
11-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I listen to a lot of these early season games on the radio (I'm listening to the football game as I type). Here is a link:

I clicked on the link and then on the listen now link and got music. I then scrolled down and found a Duke basketball link which took me to goduke which is a subscription service. Anyone else know of a radio station carrying the game on the net?

sue71, esq
11-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I clicked on the link and then on the listen now link and got music. I then scrolled down and found a Duke basketball link which took me to goduke which is a subscription service. Anyone else know of a radio station carrying the game on the net?

Try it again... they were playing music during one of the commercial breaks.

Bob Green
11-23-2008, 01:57 PM

I'm listening to the game at that link. It works. We are shooting 60% on 3-pointers so far. I'd like to see that become a trend.

Indoor66
11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I, too am listening on that link (http://www.wsfl.com/).

BlueintheFace
11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
ESPN says Zoubek made a "2 point jumper" at the 5 minute mark... I am skeptical of their characterization.

davekay1971
11-23-2008, 03:15 PM
You're right to be skeptical. It was actually a turnaround fadeaway from 20 feet out, hit nothing but net, and Zoubek was heard to woof at the guy defending him, "You can't check me, dog."

Bob Green
11-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I haven't seen the official Box Score yet but, according to the numbers on ESPN, Zoubek-Thomas-Plumlee combined for 17 points and 17 rebounds. We had success today on the offensive glass, which resulted in a lot of second chance points.

davekay1971
11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Didn't see the game, but liked that Plumlee got 6 points and 3 boards and, by the numbers anyway, Zoubek had another very respectable outing. One nice thing about our big man trio is that Thomas's athleticism gives us options and helps us create mismatches, especially now that he seems more comfortable on the offensive end.

sandinmyshoes
11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Got some time for the bench, but other than that not much to take from this game against an overmatched team having to play us in Cameron.

mgtr
11-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I am happy to see that we are not scheduling pushovers. But when you play that many tough games in such a short period, you need a big rotation. Everybody got some action today. Zoubek looks better all the time, but still room for improvement. Scheyer was a beast on defense, but probably won't show up in the stats. Smith took over the first half. Singler was Singler. Hendo is coming along nicely, had some great jumping action, but not much from the 3 point line. Williams looks a little more settled, but still does some sillies. Plumlee is better than OK, Thomas is doing great (OK, great for him). Pocius is not quite so anxious to pull the trigger. McClure didn't do as much in this game as he did the other night. All in all, a game worth playing for us.

LSanders
11-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Don't know what's going on with Greg, but he's out for Montana. The Associated Press is reporting that he has a right arm contusion (bruise) and has played the last three games with a sleeve on his right arm. EW will be the back-up point.

juise
11-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for passing that along and welcome to the DBR boards. The game is actually over... Duke won by 20. :) And yes, Paulus didn't play.

sagegrouse
Don't go to the ESPN Zone in DC to watch a Duke game when it is opposite a Cowboys game that is not on regular TV. I was about 40' away from a small screen and had to listen to the Boys fans yell on every good play.

sagegrouse

mehmattski
Just got back from the game. You could tell that this was the third game in four days (and fourth in seven days!) for this team-- Coach K was liberal with his substitution, quickly inserting Plumlee and Williams, then Thomas and Pocius within the first ten minutes. However, that team had trouble on both sides of the ball, and with the game tied at 13, Coach K sent the A-team back in... and, well, we were up 19 at halftime.

As I mentioned in my Phase II comments, this was a perfect example of trading what could have been a 30+ point victory for extra bench minutes. Today it was out of necessity as we were tired/injured. I was impressed with Williams' lockdown defense, and Plumlee has improved on both sides of the ball. There was a lot of hi-low going on for Duke on offense, partly because their interior guys were so small. But in previous games, Zoubek wouldn't necessarily handle those inlet passes. Today he did, as did Plumlee, who took a pass from Smith in the second half and put it in strong-- just what the big men need to do!

Areas of improvement for this game include working against zone defenses. At one point Gerald Henderson had the ball in front of Duke's bench in the second half, and kept making a "slam the ball into the ground" motion, in frustration. No one on the floor was moving around Montana's zone, and after the play Henderson went up to Plumlee in particular to have some heated words. It was the most vocal I've ever seen G get on the court. There were points during the game where Montana moved the ball a lot better than we did, and that's not acceptable.

Still, lots of growth from everybody, including Nolan Smith, who is beginning to realize his full dribble-drive potential. He and Singler are the reasons Montana went to the zone in the first place. Duke's had a ton of games this November, and I'm sure they're looking forward to a more relaxed pace of games next month!

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2008, 03:36 PM
At one point Gerald Henderson had the ball in front of Duke's bench in the second half, and kept making a "slam the ball into the ground" motion, in frustration. No one on the floor was moving around Montana's zone, and after the play Henderson went up to Plumlee in particular to have some heated words. It was the most vocal I've ever seen G get on the court.
That's great to hear, I didn't notice it on TV. I'm sure Miles wouldn't have taken it any other way than sage advice, it's great to hear about a leader on the floor doing some vocal coaching as well. It's one thing coming from a coach, but coming from a guy who is passing you the ball has to mean a lot as well. By the way, I was really impressed with Miles today, smart stuff on both ends. Brian too, he has not let down since New York and has been fun to watch.

Duke79UNLV77
11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
finished with 17 points, 18 rebounds, and 2 blocks today. maybe our 3-headed center will merit some all-ACC consideration?

shadowfax336
I was at the game.

G was assertive. He made a bunch of nice moves going to the basket and generally looked to score.

Nolan ran the offense well. He looked like a PG today, and he put up some points to boot.

Scheyer and Singler were their usual solid consistent selfs. Nobody on Montana could stop them when they decided to score.

Paulus was like a 5th coach on the bench, yelling encouragement, calling out plays, getting excited. He has a great attitude.

Finally, Zoubek is getting it. He had his 3rd nice game in a row today and he was BY FAR the most confident I'd ever seen him. He called for the ball, he went strong to the hoop, he grabbed boards, blocked shots, played D, and did it looking confident and purposeful. This teams dynamic may be changing, and its cuz we finally have a big fella in the middle

dukelifer
Duke started off slowly and then went on a run late in the second half - dominated in many ways by Duke's pressure and Nolan Smith's O. He is really looking like he is ready to break out in a big way. His ability to go inside and also hit the deep jumper really give Duke a lot of options. Scheyer was also pretty amazing today on the defensive end. He simply knows where to go on the floor. He also shut down Montana's best scorer. Scheyer is not going to contain every player out there - but he can do it to many- simply because he understands the flow of the game. Kudos again to the three headed center - nothing amazing but few problems against a pretty big team. Duke took their foot off the gas in the second half and played a lot of lineups- but a 20 point win that should have 40 is just fine. These guys need to rest up a bit. They have a brutal set of real road games coming up- starting with a very good Purdue team. But the team is coming together. Having Paulus back would help a lot. Good move to rest him today.

tbyers11
11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Just got back from the game. You could tell that this was the third game in four days (and fourth in seven days!) for this team-- Coach K was liberal with his substitution, quickly inserting Plumlee and Williams, then Thomas and Pocius within the first ten minutes. However, that team had trouble on both sides of the ball, and with the game tied at 13, Coach K sent the A-team back in... and, well, we were up 19 at halftime.

As I mentioned in my Phase II comments, this was a perfect example of trading what could have been a 30+ point victory for extra bench minutes. Today it was out of necessity as we were tired/injured. I was impressed with Williams' lockdown defense, and Plumlee has improved on both sides of the ball. There was a lot of hi-low going on for Duke on offense, partly because their interior guys were so small. But in previous games, Zoubek wouldn't necessarily handle those inlet passes. Today he did, as did Plumlee, who took a pass from Smith in the second half and put it in strong-- just what the big men need to do!

Areas of improvement for this game include working against zone defenses. At one point Gerald Henderson had the ball in front of Duke's bench in the second half, and kept making a "slam the ball into the ground" motion, in frustration. No one on the floor was moving around Montana's zone, and after the play Henderson went up to Plumlee in particular to have some heated words. It was the most vocal I've ever seen G get on the court. There were points during the game where Montana moved the ball a lot better than we did, and that's not acceptable.

Still, lots of growth from everybody, including Nolan Smith, who is beginning to realize his full dribble-drive potential. He and Singler are the reasons Montana went to the zone in the first place. Duke's had a ton of games this November, and I'm sure they're looking forward to a more relaxed pace of games next month!

From someone who could only follow the game on GameTracker thanks for the in-depth write up.

Bob Green
11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
From someone who could only follow the game on GameTracker thanks for the in-depth write up.

I recommend the radio broadcast. It is much better than GameTracker:

Constantstrain 81
11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I live in NC, so I got to watch on FSN-South.

Very solid game - lots of good minutes for everyone. Singler-Scheyer-Smith-Henderson are the major stars. All seem comfortable with the ball in their hands and all seem capable of creating on their own.

We continue to need to work on ball movement, people movement, and communication on offense - I think that is just a matter of time and practice.

We didn't rely on the 3 point shot as much (good thing, because overall we are not shooting it well). We drove the ball well. We actually looked for the post.

Defense continues to look good.

Best of all - the team seems very confident. The measure of this team will not be how quickly we "blow away" a weak team. It will be how strong and confident we are against any team.

I realize that UNC has the best team in NCAA history this year - six consensus All-Americans and the greatest player in the history of organized hoops - but I bet we got them thinking. I'm actually thinking that our guys are better than their guys. And I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. (Wake Forest is more worrisome than the Holes).

JDev
11-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I realize that UNC has the best team in NCAA history this year - six consensus All-Americans and the greatest player in the history of organized hoops - but I bet we got them thinking. I'm actually thinking that our guys are better than their guys. And I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. (Wake Forest is more worrisome than the Holes).

I am starting to think the same thing. I know they have Lawson, Ellington, etc., but I think Duke is better 1-4, and maybe on the bench as well (meaning bench players, because there isn't a debate as far as coaching superiority).

roywhite
11-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Very pleased with the team's performance and development so far this year.

One item that bothers me---frequently taking the 3-pt shot from the corner. It seems to be a lower percentage shot than from straight on, or on the wing (we certainly aren't hitting many from the corner), and when it misses, the opposing team often gets a fast break the other way. I wish we'd take the shot less often, and also make sure floor balance will permit good defense against the opponent rushing down the floor.

BlueintheFace
11-23-2008, 06:47 PM

... Let's wait until Carolina plays a few significant basketball games before coming to such conclusions. When you have two starters out (one being the current NPOY) at the beginning of the season and you are playing some sub-par competition I am not so sure a lot can be taken away from the games... Carolina is still the favorite to win the National Championship in my book. They haven't done anything to change my mind on that yet.

DukieInBrasil
11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
the ZouThomLee 3-beasty center. 17pts-18rebs +2blks is indeed a good showing, although in 48 minutes not 40.
The "tri-stars" of Singler, Gerald and Jon all played really well; i liked all the rebs from Gerald and the assists and steals from Kyle. I was kinda surprised that Jon didnīt register any assists while coughing it up a coupla times.
All of our starters had good games, at least; while our bench was kinda blahhh. EWill had a decent night handling the ball but shot the ball terribly while LT also shot poorly but rebounded like a monster.
I hope Greg can play ball at an elevated level soon, we need his experience and presence on the court.

throatybeard
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
You're right to be skeptical. It was actually a turnaround fadeaway from 20 feet out, hit nothing but net, and Zoubek was heard to woof at the guy defending him, "You can't check me, dog."

He's a pale shadow of Nick Horvath.

bill brill
11-23-2008, 07:26 PM
paulus was held out today to let his right arm heal. he was badly bruised in practice friday before the new york trip. it hasn't improved so they rested him. K said there was an MRI friday which indicated nothing worse. he wants to play and K said they needed him badly, but it made no sense for him to play. 10 guys got double figure minutes, everybody but czyz. that was by design. "all those young players need minutes," K explained. the substitutions were made with that in mind, rather than strategically. montana wasn't bad. they are big enough and deep enough and should be a contender in the big sky. for a fourth game in eight days, it was all u could expect. staying at home for t'giving is a blessing. no school after tuesday. friday afternoon game with duquesne. next segment includes duquesne, at purdue and at michigan, then exams. I like this team and it will improve.

CDu
11-23-2008, 07:37 PM
finished with 17 points, 18 rebounds, and 2 blocks today. maybe our 3-headed center will merit some all-ACC consideration?

Maybe we should slow down a bit. They had a combined solid effort against a clearly inferior Montana front court. I'm pleased that they are showing signs of progress (especially Zoubek). But maybe we should hold the hyperbole until we've played some teams with talented frontcourts?

I'm excited that Zoubek is starting to show signs that he may be able to stay on the floor without turning it over or fouling on every possession. The game appears to be slowing down for him a bit, and hopefully he can stay healthy. I'm excited about Plumlee's energy and athleticism. For a guy 6'10", he can really move out there. Thomas also looks less lost out there, which is nice. Hopefully it translates to better performances in ACC play.

Kedsy
11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
paulus was held out today to let his right arm heal. he was badly bruised in practice friday before the new york trip. it hasn't improved so they rested him. K said there was an MRI friday which indicated nothing worse. he wants to play and K said they needed him badly, but it made no sense for him to play. 10 guys got double figure minutes, everybody but czyz. that was by design. "all those young players need minutes," K explained. the substitutions were made with that in mind, rather than strategically. montana wasn't bad. they are big enough and deep enough and should be a contender in the big sky. for a fourth game in eight days, it was all u could expect. staying at home for t'giving is a blessing. no school after tuesday. friday afternoon game with duquesne. next segment includes duquesne, at purdue and at michigan, then exams. I like this team and it will improve.

Thanks for the insights, Bill.

devildeac
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
ESPN says Zoubek made a "2 point jumper" at the 5 minute mark... I am skeptical of their characterization.

Probably a typo-think they meant 2 foot jumper;).

Seriously, I thought BZ played well and after looking at the stats, I think I'll vote for him and LT as the "player" of the match. Between the 2 of them, they had a nice line, especially the 15 boards!

devildeac
11-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Even funnier than the "2 point jumper" above.;)

devildeac
11-23-2008, 08:19 PM
I haven't seen the official Box Score yet but, according to the numbers on ESPN, Zoubek-Thomas-Plumlee combined for 17 points and 17 rebounds. We had success today on the offensive glass, which resulted in a lot of second chance points.

That is just a bit misleading 'cuz if you do that (assuming they were our "3 headed center monster"), they have 48 minutes played:D. Granted, that's still a good box score, no matter how you combine their totals and I was impressed with their contributions today.

RainingThrees
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Favorite thing about tonight was the defense. Nolan and Jon looked like they were glued to their men. The only let downs were in the full court press when they got a couple open 3's.

Acymetric
11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Did anyone else notice Singler celebrating with Plumlee at the very end of the game, like sometime in the last 2 minutes? I think Plumlee had just connected on an oop or grabbed a rebound and slammed it home, I forget exactly, but a timeout was called right after, and when Plumlee came to the bench Singler was all over him, bumping his chest and the like. He ended up falling over and looked like he tweaked his ankle, but it looked fairly minor.

Anyways, watching him get excited like that is what makes me feel like he's going to be around for one more year. Obviously I don't have any real insight, but from all accounts including my own observations, it seems like he really enjoys the college life. I'd also like to see him tone down his celebrations, the enthusiasm is great, but I don't want our star player getting hurt. Seen that too many times in football games!

markbdevil
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
anybody else notice all the players wearing black socks and black shoes? They do this on the road, but I've never noticed it at home. They usually wear their blue and white Nikes at home.
Just wondering.

devildeac
11-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Did anyone else notice Singler celebrating with Plumlee at the very end of the game, like sometime in the last 2 minutes? I think Plumlee had just connected on an oop or grabbed a rebound and slammed it home, I forget exactly, but a timeout was called right after, and when Plumlee came to the bench Singler was all over him, bumping his chest and the like. He ended up falling over and looked like he tweaked his ankle, but it looked fairly minor.

Anyways, watching him get excited like that is what makes me feel like he's going to be around for one more year. Obviously I don't have any real insight, but from all accounts including my own observations, it seems like he really enjoys the college life. I'd also like to see him tone down his celebrations, the enthusiasm is great, but I don't want our star player getting hurt. Seen that too many times in football games!

I noticed this, too. I'm glad KS was not injured during the aerial chest bump. He landed awkwardly. MP1 is about 6' 9" and about 240-not a small fellow!

KShip21
11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
anybody else notice all the players wearing black socks and black shoes? They do this on the road, but I've never noticed it at home. They usually wear their blue and white Nikes at home.
Just wondering.
Good question markb. I was just about to post the same question. Wasn't sure if there was an interesting story behind it or not. At first I thought something may have happened with the shoes to and from NYC, but they wore black both game sup there.

Diddy
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Kyle must be in love with Plum, Lance, and Zoubs. The emergence of a legitimate post presence, albeit by committee, frees Kyle up to be the player he can be. He gets to work inside and out, and he doesn't have to bang against a huge player down low.

Having a post option is great for Kyle. No other player on the team benefits more. Kyle will continue to showcase his overall skill, and continue to look more and more like a high lottery pick, whenever he comes out.