PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup 11/22

gw67
11-22-2008, 09:09 AM
One of my sons recently got married and gave us his TV. I figured I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to watch both Duke and Maryland games last night. Having watched the game, I will offer a slightly different view of the Terps game than the DBR comments. First, Vermont is well coached and a good mid-major who, IMO, is capable of making the NCAAT. Last night, they played an outstanding game after the first five minutes and deserved to win. If they had played the same type of game against the Devils, DBR would be singing their praises much like they did for Rhode Island.

The key point which was lost on DBR is that the Terps probably would have folded up the tent during a similar game in the recent past but they hung in there and tied the game with a three-point shot when the defense was looking for it. The Washington Times link was a fair rendering of the game and compared it to the Ohio and American losses last year. I don’t expect Maryland to do particularly well this year and they may have a rough time next week in the loaded Old Spice tournament but last night was a good win whether DBR thinks so or not.

Williams’ actual quotes are in the link below. They seem on the mark to me. I note that Lonergan was head coach at Catholic and an assistant to Williams a few years ago.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112108aai.html

I also note that Vasquez leads the team in scoring, assists, rebounding and steals. If he keeps this up, he may get consideration for All ACC regardless of the Terps’ won-lost record.

gw67

dcarp23
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I concur with gw. Vermont was consistently picked as one of the favorites in the America East while Rhode Island in the middle of the pack in the A10. I'd imagine the teams are quite comparable.

roywhite
11-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I concur with gw. Vermont was consistently picked as one of the favorites in the America East while Rhode Island in the middle of the pack in the A10. I'd imagine the teams are quite comparable.

Well, in the Sagarin ratings, Rhode Island is currently ranked #58 and Vermont #157.

FWIW, Duke is #1, UNC #2, and Maryland #42.

Obviously, it's early in the season and it takes a while for these rankings to settle out.

wilson
11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Having watched the game, I will offer a slightly different view of the Terps game than the DBR comments. First, Vermont is well coached and a good mid-major who, IMO, is capable of making the NCAAT. Last night, they played an outstanding game after the first five minutes and deserved to win. If they had played the same type of game against the Devils, DBR would be singing their praises much like they did for Rhode Island...I don’t expect Maryland to do particularly well this year and they may have a rough time next week in the loaded Old Spice tournament but last night was a good win whether DBR thinks so or not.

gw67

A bit of homerism from DBR:eek:? Surely you jest...

gw67
11-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Wilson - I've been a participant on this board for a long time. I respect Julio and Boswell a bunch and admire how they have developed this wonderful college basketball site. I understand their disdain for the Maryland fans and Williams and sometimes this leads to a less than even handed discussion of Maryland basketball by DBR. I enjoy providing another point of view and figure that I am sort of like the lone liberal on Fox or lone conservative on MSNBC.

By the way, for ratings watchers, Vermont was #21 in Pomeroy's ratings earlier this week (as if it matters). I didn't intend to say they were as good as RI (I didn't see that game) but they didn't deserve a put down. IMO, four of their starters could play in the ACC and their coach could definitely coach there.

gw67

wilson
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Wilson - I've been a participant on this board for a long time. I respect Julio and Boswell a bunch and admire how they have developed this wonderful college basketball site. I understand their disdain for the Maryland fans and Williams and sometimes this leads to a less than even handed discussion of Maryland basketball by DBR. I enjoy providing another point of view and figure that I am sort of like the lone liberal on Fox or lone conservative on MSNBC.

gw67

I totally agree. Perhaps it didn't come across properly, but I really like and respect this site and these boards as well. I meant my earlier comment as only the slightest, most light-hearted of digs.

just_wondering
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I thought that Vermont played much better than either American or Ohio did last year. Vermont was leading because they made more plays than Maryland did. Maryland lost to American and Ohio because they didn't really make any plays at all.
Bowie played big in the second half. The ball was in his hands during crunch time. Dave Neal, after eliciting groans from the crowd for missed layups in the first half, made some big shots down the stretch. Dino Gregory made the argument for more playing time.
Hayes is much better than last year. Tucker is stepping up. Bowie is playing well. Vasquez is picking his spots. Mosley shows real potential. They need to get production and passion from their front line.

One of my sons recently got married and gave us his TV. I figured I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to watch both Duke and Maryland games last night. Having watched the game, I will offer a slightly different view of the Terps game than the DBR comments. First, Vermont is well coached and a good mid-major who, IMO, is capable of making the NCAAT. Last night, they played an outstanding game after the first five minutes and deserved to win. If they had played the same type of game against the Devils, DBR would be singing their praises much like they did for Rhode Island.

The key point which was lost on DBR is that the Terps probably would have folded up the tent during a similar game in the recent past but they hung in there and tied the game with a three-point shot when the defense was looking for it. The Washington Times link was a fair rendering of the game and compared it to the Ohio and American losses last year. I don’t expect Maryland to do particularly well this year and they may have a rough time next week in the loaded Old Spice tournament but last night was a good win whether DBR thinks so or not.

Williams’ actual quotes are in the link below. They seem on the mark to me. I note that Lonergan was head coach at Catholic and an assistant to Williams a few years ago.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112108aai.html

I also note that Vasquez leads the team in scoring, assists, rebounding and steals. If he keeps this up, he may get consideration for All ACC regardless of the Terps’ won-lost record.

gw67

davekay1971
11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, in the Sagarin ratings, Rhode Island is currently ranked #58 and Vermont #157.

FWIW, Duke is #1, UNC #2, and Maryland #42.

Obviously, it's early in the season and it takes a while for these rankings to settle out.

I guess Sagarin's computer didn't get the memo that the Tarheels are #1, it's a lock, done, finished, and I still can't figure out why we're bothering to play the games.

gw67
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Dave - I believe the latest Sagarin has Duke #1. If the Heels prevail in Hawaii, I would expect them to take it back.

We need to get the football schools to belly up to the bar when playing the OOC portion of their schedule. Virginia Tech, BC and, to a lesser extent, Miami, can't seem to get it together at this time of the year.

gw67

Olympic Fan
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know what Sagarin is smoking or how he figures his ratings this early.

For comparison, today's RIP has Butler at No.1, followed by Evansville and Texas tied for second. Virginia is the top ACC team at No. 7, followed by Clemson at 12, Duke at 14, Miami at 21 ... UNC is 153.

In the Pomeroy ratings, Utah is No. 1, followed by Washington State and Iona. Boston College is the top-rated ACC at No. 18, just ahead of No. 19 Duke. Wake is No. 24, UNC is 27th, Virginia 29th and Maryland at No. 31.

They're all pretty meaningless at this point -- and will be until after Christmas.

riverside6
11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I still like efficiency margin has the a deciding factor on deciding who the best team is. Of course it relies on sample size before it can tell a whole lot.

We graph offensive and defensive efficiencies (http://www.scacchoops.com/ACCEfficiencyChart.asp) for each ACC team on our site and the better the team the lower and farther to the right the team is displayed.

To see the raw data including efficiency margin, you can view it on the Team Stats page (http://www.scacchoops.com/TeamStats.asp).