PDA

View Full Version : Jason Williams on ESPN

camcraz25
11-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I can't imagine having to call this game from a neutral perspective :) They did notate him as "Jay" Williams on the bottom of the screen . I thought he was back to Jason now?

dukegirlinsc
11-21-2008, 11:18 PM
He's actually not doing a bad job. I'm enjoying it. (Not that I'm partial...)

But it's a great game so far, regardless. Go Gauchos!
:rolleyes:

Cell-R
11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
UNC looks a little shaky out there agist the Gauchos!

I like it :)

FireOgilvie
11-21-2008, 11:50 PM
J-Will just said he hopes Hansbrough "rides off into the sunset" with a national championship. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

wisteria
11-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Did he really? ew....I'm going to be sick.

Lord Ash
11-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Jason Williams is a great ad for the value of a Duke education should, god forbid, basketball not pan out.

Edouble
11-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Jason Williams is a great ad for the value of a Duke education should, god forbid, basketball not pan out.

Really? I think it says more about his having played at Duke than his Duke education. I'd say Billy King and Brian Davis are better examples of the value of a Duke education should basketball not work out.

davekay1971
11-22-2008, 08:04 AM
UNC looked pretty bad at times. Some thoughts from watching them against an undermanned, but game, opponent:

1) Hansbrough either is very rusty, or the work he's been doing on his jump shots hasn't paid off. He looks awkward and slow on those shots, and the results were beautiful last night (for any UNC hater, that is).

2) Hansbrough got posterized by a 7'3" kid fresh off the plane from Hungary. I want that Youtube clip.

3) Lawson looks awesome. That crossover was absolutely killer. His outside shooting looked good. If he stays healthy, he'll be a monster all year.

4) Danny Green, on several instances last night, looked like he was auditioning for pro scouts rather than playing within the game. I hope that continues all year.

5) Ellington is a lethal spot-up shooter...but I didn't see much evidence that he's become really a total scorer. Part of it is my expectations: I thought he'd become the total package when he arrived at UNC.

6) Davis and Thompson will be contributors all year for the Heels. Darn it.

7) Frasor doesn't look good (may be rust), but Drew, in limited minutes, does.

davekay1971
11-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry, forgot to put in my thoughts on J-Will, to keep it in the thread:

Love the guy, thought he did a good job on color, and I can forgive him the Carolina love...he's being paid as an objective commentator, so he's gotta do it. But I hope he went home and washed out his mouth afterwards.

If he shows up at Cameron to do color one day, I hope the students demonstrate their knowledge of Duke history and give him the "We-are-not-worthy" bow.

sandinmyshoes
11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought Jason did a professional job last night. He showed enthusiasm without overdoing it.

As for UNC, I actually thought they looked decent, excepting their shooting which was really bad. Their defense has been much more intense than it was last year. It's still not great, but it's better.

This is the kind of game I wish Coach K would schedule more often. I think it helps a team to travel a long distance and play in a rowdy atmosphere. They learn from it.

Son of Mojo
11-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Wasn't able to watch that game last night but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me that J-Will did NOT say that quote attributed to him...........ugh.

Cameron
11-22-2008, 01:16 PM
That's a really sick quote.

But I still love JaSON. I don't know of this Jay guy, however.

Thinking of his eight triples and 38 points versus Carolina in his Cameron finale gives me straight up chills. How sweet that was.

Lord Ash
11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Really? I think it says more about his having played at Duke than his Duke education. I'd say Billy King and Brian Davis are better examples of the value of a Duke education should basketball not work out.

Hm, would "Duke experience" be more acceptable? By Duke education I suppose I meant going to Duke.

sue71, esq
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Good to see him on tv again. Looking good, nice goatee, buzz cut. Looked smaller than I remember though. ;)

Sounded very good and had some nice comments about Georgetown. But then they digressed into the BCS (aka Big 12) controversy. Jay wants a playoff. Hubert Davis calls it unfair to Texas and Texas Tech.

Ahhh, now back to bb. All is well. :)

Jay thinks Louisville's guards need to step up after the loss to WKU. Aack, they're talking about the Holes next. Time to turn it off.

Anyway, nice to see Jason (now Jay?) get the gig... keep up the good work!

Mike Corey
11-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I still can't get accustomed to thinking of No. 22 as "Jay."

He's a Blue Devil, not a blue bird.

dukebluelemur
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
As sick as it makes me to say it, Lawson, the way he moves, reminds me a bit of Jason.

RainingThrees
11-30-2008, 11:22 PM
As sick as it makes me to say it, Lawson, the way he moves, reminds me a bit of Jason.

yeah, except Lawson can't shoot unless he is wide open and feet set.

Oriole Way
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
There are some similarities, but J-Will was more of a combo guard, Lawson more of a point. Williams was a much better shooter, and a slightly better finisher in traffic/taking contact. Williams was stronger, but Lawson is faster. Lawson takes better care of the basketball than Williams did.

Indoor66
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
There are some similarities, but J-Will was more of a combo guard, Lawson more of a point. Williams was a much better shooter, and a slightly better finisher in traffic/taking contact. Williams was stronger, but Lawson is faster. Lawson takes better care of the basketball than Williams did.

Outside of all that, ↑ they are identical! :rolleyes:

Cavlaw
12-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I hate the "Jay" thing, especially since pure college fans (like myself, not having watched an entire NBA game since the last Bulls championship) never knew him as anything other than "Jason", and he's commenting on college games, not pros (to the best of my knowledge).

He's got good things to say, but needs to work on his pacing. It seems he's either so excited or nervous that he has to stop for a deep breath every 5-6 words.

I hope it works out for him, I think he's a great kid and the accident was a terrible thing to have happen.

sagegrouse
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Lets give Jason a few years and see what he accomplishes. I expect big things.

sagegrouse