PDA

View Full Version : WBB Duke Falls To Hartford, 53-51

jimsumner
11-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Ouch.

"The sixth-ranked Duke women's basketball team had a late comeback
stalled by Hartford on Friday night in the opening round of the DePaul Invitational as the Blue Devils fell, 53-51, at McGrath Arena. Senior Chante Black had an open look to tie the game in the final seconds but it feel off the rim. Black led Duke with 12 points and 13 rebounds, but the Blue Devils couldn't overtime a poor shooting night.

miramar
11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
It's early, but the women are only shooting 38% for the first three games. Abby is shooting 25%.

Inonehand
11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I can not imagine how miserable it must have been to watch that game. Both teams shooting under 27%, Duke has 26 turnovers to Hartford's 25. I'd rather meet Kathy Bates in a snowstorm.

zingit
11-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I heard that during the men's game broadcast. Man, that just sucks, especially coming after that encouraging win against Oklahoma State last week. I just looked at the boxscore (http://www.goduke.com/pdf5/353118.pdf?ATCLID=3620867&SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200). We outrebounded them 48-45 and forced 25 turnovers, but those are just about the only good numbers there. Terrible shooting. I hope they can get it together soon!

roywhite
11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I can not imagine how miserable it must have been to watch that game. Both teams shooting under 27%, Duke has 26 turnovers to Hartford's 25. I'd rather meet Kathy Bates in a snowstorm.

I certainly hope Coach P and the team do well, but I, too, find it hard to watch a full game of women's basketball.

Gunnar Kaufman
11-21-2008, 11:59 PM
An embarrassing loss for Coach McCallie and the Blue Devils.

Inonehand
11-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I certainly hope Coach P and the team do well, but I, too, find it hard to watch a full game of women's basketball.

Nah, I like watching women's hoops. That game would not be an example why.

Wander
11-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Is it time yet for that small group on the boards to tell us that everything in our women's program is great and that we're all spoiled brats for thinking otherwise? Or does that only happen midway through the season?

Sixthman
11-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Yes, this is a very bad loss. I agree with the "next game" attitude, because it's all there is to say.

captmojo
11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Here's to never forgetting...

jimsumner
11-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Next game is tonight, so it shouldn't take long to get some tentative answers.

throatybeard
11-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Is it time yet for that small group on the boards to tell us that everything in our women's program is great and that we're all spoiled brats for thinking otherwise? Or does that only happen midway through the season?

Is it time for a cadre of chauvinists to explain to us how much they think women's basketball sucks? Or does that only happen midway through the season?

Wander
11-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Is it time for a cadre of chauvinists to explain to us how much they think women's basketball sucks? Or does that only happen midway through the season?

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with what I said.

chrishoke
11-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Could be the beginning of the end for McCallie. I gave her a pass last year, getting adjusted etc., but this is a verey bad sign. Recruiting has dropped way off. Things are bleak.

Wander
11-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Could be the beginning of the end for McCallie.

This is a bit premature, as it's still mid-November in only her second season. Of course you're right that this is not a good sign though.

DukeCO2009
11-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Still can't figure out why we didn't pony up and pay Coach G. Not to knock McCallie, but, well, she just isn't as good a coach as her predecessor.

hedgehog
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with what I said.

I am guessing that throaty was probably using your comment to respond to roywhite, who was trying to turn the discussion from how bad of a game this was to his personal dislike of women's hoops.

Wander
11-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I am guessing that throaty was probably using your comment to respond to roywhite, who was trying to turn the discussion from how bad of a game this was to his personal dislike of women's hoops.

Oh. Right over my head. My bad throaty.

Inonehand
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Bad loss, yes. Embarrassaing, I don't know. Hartford should not have beaten us, no doubt, but it isn't like they are a horrible team. The won their conference last year and won a game in the NCAA tourney. They were ranked at some point last year for awhile. If our men had not pulled out the game against Rhode Island it would have compared easily to this women's loss. I believe how they respond to this is more important than the loss itself.

Devilsfan
11-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Come on! They're Hartfort not Conn., Tenn. or LSU.

Bluedog
11-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Still can't figure out why we didn't pony up and pay Coach G. Not to knock McCallie, but, well, she just isn't as good a coach as her predecessor.

The rumblings are that we did offer Coach G significantly more money than her previous contract, and she still preferred Texas. It wasn't because of money that she left. Her (relatively bad) relationship with Joe Alleva certainly didn't help.

jv001
11-22-2008, 06:09 PM
What has happened to the Duke guards? Our shooting is terrible and has been since last year. Also looks like recruiting has fallen off. Let's hope we improve fast. Go Duke!

Gunnar Kaufman
11-22-2008, 06:31 PM
The rumblings are that we did offer Coach G significantly more money than her previous contract, and she still preferred Texas. It wasn't because of money that she left. Her (relatively bad) relationship with Joe Alleva certainly didn't help.

We offered Coach G more money than her previous contract...at the last minute, once Alleva's public statements (and private ones) about Coach G's interest in Texas had made her decision for her.

But that's ancient history now. Both are gone.

Coach McCallie is recruiting talent unbecoming of the program she inherited.

And she's doing less with that which she inherited, as well.

The only school from Connecticut that should ever be able to beat Duke is UConn. This is embarrassing, no matter how you slice it.

I hope Duke can turn it around in a hurry.

jimsumner
11-22-2008, 07:20 PM
FWIW, Duke leads Southern 50-18 at the half.

concrete
11-22-2008, 07:21 PM
its southern!

DisplacedBlueDevil
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Be concerned...very concerned. The truth will be revealed in the players' faces during warm-ups. :(

miramar
11-22-2008, 10:11 PM
It's nice to see that Abby Waner scored 24 points in 23 minutes (10-17 from the field) in a 93-52 victory over Southern. I hope that will carry over into the next few games. I am told that she hits her shots during warmups, so it's a question of feeling comfortable during the games.

Having said that, the principal problem for WBB is the future. Duke has only signed one player from the 2009 top 100 (#82), while Carolina has signed five (#9, 23, 28, 31, and 88). At least Coach G was nice enough to leave three players from the 2008 top 100 (#13, 21, and 63).

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100

MHTorringjan
11-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Nope, I was actually pretty embarrassed by this one, too. 26 turnovers is inexcusable under pretty much any circumstances. I'll give the defense props for forcing as many turnovers as they did, but I cannot forgive the horrible offensive showing against anyone, let alone an unranked team. The shooting has been bad, but hopefully, things will improve after that game.

I'm an optimist, and generally think that the program can do well, but I'll be one of the first to admit that this one was bad. I like the rebound against Southern, but they shouldn't have had to have it.

MHTorringjan
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Coach McCallie is recruiting talent unbecoming of the program she inherited.

And she's doing less with that which she inherited, as well.

So, I actually take exception with the first comment above. Coach P is recruiting the high caliber players, they're just not coming here. She recruited about three players from the top 25 of next year's class, they just decided to go elsewhere. Don't ask me why, don't ask me if it's something to do with Coach P or personal issues, or whatever, I don't know. There's still one 2009 top-flight player that's considering us, according to ESPN, Tayler Hill. Now, I'll admit, she hasn't actually gotten the best recruits to come here yet, but it's not for a lack of trying.

As for the second statement, it's been one full year where we didn't have a 1st-team All-American and a shaky start to a second year. While the program has been underwhelming, it hasn't been horrible. A 20+-win season is not something to be sneezed at, nor is beating the higher-ranked Maryland team last year and taking Tennessee down to the wire. I'm a little worried, but in the end, I'm still optimistic and I still love the women.

arnie
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
So, I actually take exception with the first comment above. Coach P is recruiting the high caliber players, they're just not coming here. She recruited about three players from the top 25 of next year's class, they just decided to go elsewhere. Don't ask me why, don't ask me if it's something to do with Coach P or personal issues, or whatever, I don't know. There's still one 2009 top-flight player that's considering us, according to ESPN, Tayler Hill. Now, I'll admit, she hasn't actually gotten the best recruits to come here yet, but it's not for a lack of trying.

As for the second statement, it's been one full year where we didn't have a 1st-team All-American and a shaky start to a second year. While the program has been underwhelming, it hasn't been horrible. A 20+-win season is not something to be sneezed at, nor is beating the higher-ranked Maryland team last year and taking Tennessee down to the wire. I'm a little worried, but in the end, I'm still optimistic and I still love the women.

It certainly appears to me that the program will drop to a mid-level ACC program in a year or two. I'm not a big fan of women's bball, but did enjoy the Coach G success. Think that level of success is over with and I'm not sure too many coaches except for G could have kept it there. Too bad the previous AD screwed that up too!