PDA

View Full Version : McClure

Diddy
11-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Mea Culpa.

I have been down on this kid since Day 1. I always felt he was too slow, not talented, etc. I never questioned his heart, desire, or effort.

Boy, was I wrong. He must have been playing with serious injuries, practically from Day 1 in Durham. Now that he is fully healthy, with a summer spent honing his game, he looks like a serious player. If he could have had a healthy career, he might have been a serious contributor, instead of the solid roleplayer.

He bounce is world's better than I ever believed possible. Since I have badmouthed him, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I was wrong about him. His injuries really derailed what could have been a very good career at Duke.

mgtr
11-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I have always thought McClure had the smarts and ability to make a real contribution, and was happy to see him get some real PT tonight. Nice two handed jam. We were playing pretty small there for awhile, with our frontcourt of Singler and McClure, but it worked out OK.

DukeDevilDeb
11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Mea Culpa.

I have been down on this kid since Day 1. I always felt he was too slow, not talented, etc. I never questioned his heart, desire, or effort.

Boy, was I wrong. He must have been playing with serious injuries, practically from Day 1 in Durham. Now that he is fully healthy, with a summer spent honing his game, he looks like a serious player. If he could have had a healthy career, he might have been a serious contributor, instead of the solid roleplayer.

He bounce is world's better than I ever believed possible. Since I have badmouthed him, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I was wrong about him. His injuries really derailed what could have been a very good career at Duke.

I have known Dave since he was a freshman, had him in 3 classes, and worked with him on an independent study. He is the nicest and most honorable guy in the world. He has worked so hard trying to come back from the injuries. For those of you who haven't had the chance to know Dave personally, let me tell you he is a super kid and makes every effort that is positive for the team and for Duke.

Go Devils!

elvis14
11-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Mea Culpa.

I've been up on DM since day 1. I just always thought good things happed for us when he was on the floor. It's nice to see him healthy this year. Pretty cool post, Diddy.

wallyman
11-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Hard to imagine anyone ever being down on McClure. Not much offense, but, when healthy, he's always been an incredibly smart, classy and productive player and a pleasure to watch. A huge shame he's had the injury problems, but here's hoping for a healthy senior year. He could be a big part of the puzzle.

footballfan2
11-22-2008, 07:49 AM
McClure has always been a solid role player. However he was an offensive liability. Defenders knew he would never shoot the ball or look for a shot. Thus they could cheat off of him and help double team. Perhaps now McClure is being a bit more assertive... that will and should change.

I've always said: if McClure could develop a solid 15-18' jump shot... he would be a very good player.

4decadedukie
11-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Diddy and BlueDevilDeb: Thank you; your posts personify why DBR -- and in a larger sense the aggregate Duke community -- is such a special place. Diddy, it take a lot to apologize TO A COMMUNITY for perceived slights. Deb, thank you for again articulating that there are many things about every Dukie (and especially those currently enrolled) that supersede athletic ability: character, integrity, work-ethic, congestive abilities, teamwork, and so forth.

LetItBD08
11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I have known Dave since he was a freshman, had him in 3 classes, and worked with him on an independent study. He is the nicest and most honorable guy in the world. He has worked so hard trying to come back from the injuries. For those of you who haven't had the chance to know Dave personally, let me tell you he is a super kid and makes every effort that is positive for the team and for Duke.

Go Devils!

Right after Dave made that rather assertive dunk yesterday, I turned to my grad school roommate and said, "You see that guy right there - I sat next to him for the semester freshman year in a sub-atomic physics seminar class."

(Yes, I know, for people in the know, it was Moo's class and not as demanding as the subject matter would indicate...but it still was a pretty cool juxtaposition to make. Just one of those things that makes Duke great in my opinion.)

SupaDave
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
If he hits that three yesterday - he immediately would have become something more to tangle with. However, that shot was dead on and just the simple fact that he put up a three was a VERY positive thing for me to see. That lets me know this team has a totally different personality.

A personality that reminds me of the old days when Melchionni felt he had the green light no matter what. When he hit his shots we broke team's backs.

Imagine if McClure becomes a Melchionni type player. But with stellar defense. That would be huge and has me thinking good thoughts.

zingit
11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Don't know if y'all saw this already, but here's a nice article (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1302270.html) on Dave.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
A friend of mine knows Dave and his mom fairly well and I am quite happy that DM is now healthy and looks like he is ready to contribute significantly this year.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I've been a big fan of Dave's his entire career. Its really a shame that he had such injuries. Much like Grant Hill's NBA career, we'll never know what could have been without all the injuries.

Devilsfan
11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
He also started out in K's dog house after he defided JJ in the Garden and I thought K was going to punch him out after he threw him down on a chair.
He is the kind of player every team needs. He arguably plays the best defense on the team.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 04:27 PM
He also started out in K's dog house after he defided JJ in the Garden and I thought K was going to punch him out after he threw him down on a chair.
He is the kind of player every team needs. He arguably plays the best defense on the team.

I forgot all about that? I don't remember exactly what happened, but I do remember it vaguely. Glad Dave learned his lesson, and glad K has moved on too. He's going to be a big asset to this team.

Kimist
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
...after he defided JJ in the Garden...

I've always thought McClure showed extremely good court savvy and fundamental skills. It was a disappointment to see him endure so many injuries each year.

Perhaps now it is his chance to shine, in his own special way.

I enjoyed the comments from those who know him through on-campus activities other than the basketball court.

Oh yes: a classy post, Diddy!!

k

gumbomoop
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks so much for this thread. I've been a big supporter of DMc, and have pumped for more minutes for him. Still, I can see that with this year's depth, he's likely to be a situation player. I think it was Shulman who commented that K said DMc might play 4 minutes one game, 24 the next, and "he's all right with that." Fair enough.

DMc best defender? I've opined on previous threads that he can guard anyone but fastest of point guards and really tall 5s. (Admittedly I didn't see the RI game, so if he was on Baron for any stretch......) In my pro-DMc-fanaticism, I've urged folks to review the W Va tape to watch his defense on Joe Alexander, but I can see that thinking back to that game is too painful. Anyhow, his defensive footwork is excellent, ditto his blocking out (not a strength of Duke teams in recent years), he's an unobtrusively clever passer at times, moves to the right spot, and, I swear, a good shotblocker.

That he's a fellow of first-rate character is great to hear, as well.

ncexnyc
11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow, that seems like a very long time ago and I don't recall it having anything to do with JJ. I seem to recall a game against the Cavaliers and I want to say it was during an ACC tournament game, which was played on a Friday night. I believe David picked-up a really stupid foul, in fact I believe it was a technical and that was the last time we saw David for the season if my memory is correct.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, that seems like a very long time ago and I don't recall it having anything to do with JJ. I seem to recall a game against the Cavaliers and I want to say it was during an ACC tournament game, which was played on a Friday night. I believe David picked-up a really stupid foul, in fact I believe it was a technical and that was the last time we saw David for the season if my memory is correct.

No, there was a time when JJ was telling Dave to do something during a game, Dave blew him off, and coach K really got into him. I have no details on when it happened, but pretty sure it was his freshman year.

greybeard
11-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I thought he had a terrific sophomore year. Seems like he's the type of guy that if he walks on the court and stands next to you indicating that he will be guarding you, you know that it is not your day.

His sophomore year K had him switching onto the ball, or staying with the ball, on all screens/weaves. In other words, if you had or got the ball out front, he was guarding you. Have never seen that before or since. He did an extraordinary job. He and McRob WERE the anchors to the defense, with Nelson playing rover back. One of the more memorable defensive teams, especially with the run-the-clock offense, I've seen from Duke.

The second half last night Duke switched on everything. Michigan has a great offensive coach; they looked ugly that half, even when they were scoring.

If you can play defense the way David can, you have to see the game very, very well. Think we're seeing signs that he is putting that savy to use on the offensive end too. Terrific player in the tradition of Davis, Carawell. Very brave.

ACCBBallFan
11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Besides his character that Deb attested to, perhaps Dave's best attribute is how he boxes out to garner defensive rebounds. IMO, Dave should be Duke's thrid string post defender behind Z and Miles, freeing Lance up to back up Kyle.

This would not be Dave's only role since as others have stated Dave can play great defense on any SG, WF and most PFs too.

Dave is a valuable guy to have on the floor when playing not to lose, ie. protect a lead, not so much when playing to win or having to come from behind.

Very happy for Dave to see him have success after having to rehab from multiple knee surgeries.