PDA

View Full Version : What type of mustard?

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 05:41 PM
To continue the condiment theme for the day, what type of mustard do you go for?

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm a dijon guy, love the heavy seeds. I will do spicy brown when the dijon is gone, and only go for the yellow as a last resort. On a whim, I bought some habanero mustard that I tried once. It's still in my fridge waiting for a legitimate reason for a second try.

devildeac
11-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm a dijon guy, love the heavy seeds. I will do spicy brown when the dijon is gone, and only go for the yellow as a last resort. On a whim, I bought some habenero mustard that I tried once. It's still in my fridge waiting for a legitimate reason for a second try.

maybe on one of your red hots:o?

wilson
11-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I voted "other," because I love mustard, and I believe there is room in the world for many different kinds. Right now in my refrigerator, you can find a bottle of regular old yellow and jars of Gulden's brown deli mustard, Grey Poupon dijon, grain mustard, honey grain mustard, horseradish dijon, and regular honey mustard. So I guess that's six?

devildeac
11-21-2008, 05:48 PM
perhaps yellow on a hot pretzel, but in all other cases, spicy brown is my choice.

devildeac
11-21-2008, 05:49 PM
do we need a relish poll, too?:o

devildeac
11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
probably oughta have a sauerkraut poll, too:eek::o

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
maybe on one of your red hots:o?
Suicide is not on my lunch menu

Acymetric
11-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Just plain old yellow for me. I can't really say I've given the other types much of a chance though...I think I had dijon and brown when I was a kid and hated both. I should give them a shot sometime, I'm usually pretty adventurous with food, but yellow mustard works so well for me I figure why mess with a good thing?

DukieInKansas
11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I went with other. It depends on the use of the mustard. I love Mom's Kitchen Mustard from Idaho. They have a lemon dill that is great for making deviled eggs.

I bought a blueberry mustard on vacatioin to try as a pretzel dip. Haven't opened it yet.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Where's the option for "I'm a Communist- I don't like mustard"? :D

2535Miles
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Your taste in food is baffling. You love the rich, flavorful, yumminess of Bubbies, but then scoff at the Mustard.

wilson
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM

No, seriously...off with your head.

Lavabe
11-21-2008, 06:18 PM
probably oughta have a sauerkraut poll, too:eek::o

Syrup poll?

Mrs. Butterworth's
Log Cabin
Aunt Jemima
Any brand from Vermont
Other

wilson
11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Syrup poll?

Mrs. Butterworth's
Log Cabin
Aunt Jemima
Any brand from Vermont
Other

I very rarely consume syrup-related products, so I rarely require syrup itself. Usually, when I eat such a meal, it's in a restaurant, so I just partake of the House Blend.
My mother does make heavenly homemade waffles, and she always serves them with Aunt Jemima. That's also what we always had around when I was a kid. If ever I were to purchase some syrup, it would be Aunt Jemima.
I've always thought Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben would be a really good couple's Halloween costume, but of course, lots of folks couldn't quite get away with that...

Acymetric
11-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Syrup poll?

Mrs. Butterworth's
Log Cabin
Aunt Jemima
Any brand from Vermont
Other

I've never spent any amount of time trying out and comparing different syrups, and I'm sure they're all good enough, but Aunt Jemima has been the family choice my entire life and its done me well, I see no reason to try anything new now.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Your taste in food is baffling. You love the rich, flavorful, yumminess of Bubbies, but then scoff at the Mustard.

Yes.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
No, seriously...off with your head.

Fix your powder first. (Ducking.)

wilson
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Fix your powder first. (Ducking.)

No, the powder is just for when I hold court. For off with your head, I wear a hood.

2535Miles
11-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Syrup poll?

Mrs. Butterworth's
Log Cabin
Aunt Jemima
Any brand from Vermont
Other
Aunt Jemima. Quadruple the butter.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 07:00 PM
No, the powder is just for when I hold court. For off with your head, I wear a hood.

And elf with a powdered wig and a hood. Interesting.

wilson
11-21-2008, 07:02 PM
And elf with a powdered wig and a hood. Interesting.

Noooo...for elfing, I wear a pointed hat, and as Chief of Grammar Police I wear a big nickel-plated six-point star badge and a ten-gallon hat. When I'm with the Atlanta Mafia, I slick back my hair and wear velour tracksuits.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Noooo...for elfing, I wear a pointed hat, and as Chief of Grammar Police I wear a big nickel-plated six-point star badge and a ten-gallon hat. When I'm with the Atlanta Mafia, I slick back my hair and wear velour tracksuits.

ROFL! Velour tracksuit...

We've seen you as a pirate... can we see pics of these too?

wilson
11-21-2008, 07:25 PM
ROFL! Velour tracksuit...

We've seen you as a pirate... can we see pics of these too?

Funny, but true story: I actually do own a velour tracksuit. Dior, maroon with gray piping. I'm pretty sure it's older than I am. I purchase it at the now closed, greatest thrift store there ever was, Value Village, for $4.29. It's really warm and comfy, and it's utterly ridiculous. I'll throw it on and post some pics soon.

devildeac
11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Aunt Jemima. Quadruple the butter.

Pure maple

YmoBeThere
11-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Back to mustards, depends upon the food. Smoked sausage requires dijon, regular dogs need French's, sushi has its own mustard requirements, etc., etc.

CathyCA
11-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I like honey mustard, but I also keep a container of plain old French's mustard in the fridge.

Mustard probably doesn't need to be refrigerated, but that's where I keep it. I am reminded of the butter thread. I'm still astonished that some of you don't refrigerate your butter.

DukeUsul
11-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm with Sue. Mustard is gross.

So is ketchup.

So is mayo.

I know, I'm weird.

wilson
11-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm with Sue. Mustard is gross.

So is ketchup.

So is mayo.

I know, I'm weird.

Off with your head.

sue71, esq
11-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Funny, but true story: I actually do own a velour tracksuit. Dior, maroon with gray piping. I'm pretty sure it's older than I am. I purchase it at the now closed, greatest thrift store there ever was, Value Village, for $4.29. It's really warm and comfy, and it's utterly ridiculous. I'll throw it on and post some pics soon.

Please do post a pic. The only thing that would seem to be missing is the terry headband. ;)

devildeac
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
The Carnegie Deli makes their own mustard (brown, grainy and spicy) and always sends a small plastic container with their take-out sammiches when we transport them across state lines:D.

DevilAlumna
11-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I voted "other," because I love mustard, and I believe there is room in the world for many different kinds.

Word life.

I've got yellow, brown, dijon and honey mustards in the fridge. I also have ground mustard in the spice cabinet.

I like to throw a little yellow mustard in with the mayo of my tuna salad.

What's with the food fascination around here today? What next, how one prefers one's eggs?

devildeac
11-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Word life.

I've got yellow, brown, dijon and honey mustards in the fridge. I also have ground mustard in the spice cabinet.

I like to throw a little yellow mustard in with the mayo of my tuna salad.

What's with the food fascination around here today? What next, how one prefers one's eggs?

Eggs? DEVILed, of course:D.

I smell a poll here:rolleyes:.

dukemomLA
11-22-2008, 01:30 AM
As a person, and a family, who loves mustard, we have all kinds. We enjoy dijon, French's yellow, honey, etc. BUT THE CREAM OF THE CROP is Silver Springs Deli Mustard -- and in fact all of their other products.

Years ago I called them to have them send stuff to me, as my local grocery store had it for a while and then decided.... whatever.

So...if you've got a chance to try their products, good for you! (And no, I have no connection to their company, I own no stock, I just love their products).

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 03:14 AM
There are just too many varieties of mustard, and too many situations that call for a specific mustard for me to pick a favorite. It's unfair to the mustards of the world. Some of my favorite applications of mustard include:
- Yellow mustard on a hot dog at the ball park
- Cedar plank salmon (Dijon)
- Those yummy Christmas baskets with salami and brown mustard
- It's ghetto, but chicken strips and honey mustard
- Herbed mustard on cornish game hens

Damn. All of a sudden I hate this thread.

YmoBeThere
11-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Silver Springs

Silver Springs...wasn't that a Fleetwood Muck song?

captmojo
11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I vote for Gulden's brown but this stuff is excellent and cheap!
http://www.epinions.com/review/Kosciusko_Spicy_Brown_Mustard_9_oz/content_408886021764

devildeac
11-22-2008, 12:51 PM
A mustard-horseradish blend is tasty with some foods also.

Indoor66
11-22-2008, 12:53 PM
A mustard-horseradish blend is tasty with some foods also.

Horseradish is nectar.

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Horseradish is nectar.
Mmmmm it is! Horseradish and rib eye. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Horseradish is nectar.

But it has nothing to do with horses or radishes:confused::rolleyes:.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Horseradish is nectar.

I had some homemade horseradish several years ago with polish sausage and it was outrageously potent and delicious. I didn't have any friends (or a spouse) for days however:eek::o.

YmoBeThere
11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I didn't have any friends (or a spouse) for days however:eek::o.

Oh that's right, you are happily married.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh that's right, you are happily married.

Not for a day or two after the horseradish I wasn't:o. I think she has forgiven me now.

ohioguy2
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
The Ball Park mustard from Cleveland is great on hot dogs.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
The Ball Park mustard from Cleveland is great on hot dogs.

Also on pretzels and other sausages:D. I had forgotten the name of that product. A friend and I used to have beer samplings and mustard samplings with various pretzels and sausages as our palate cleansers;).

YmoBeThere
11-22-2008, 04:21 PM
The Germans had a mustard called "Feuer(sp) Senf". Not sure if it was a brand, type, or whatever. I just know that I dabbed the wurst in it. I was 8 at the time.

ohioguy2
11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Also on pretzels and other sausages:D. I had forgotten the name of that product. A friend and I used to have beer samplings and mustard samplings with various pretzels and sausages as our palate cleansers;).

Now that sounds like a great idea.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Now that sounds like a great idea.

Thanks. Nice avatar:D.

pamtar
11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
I cant believe there are three pages of replies on this topic.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I cant believe there are three pages of replies on this topic.
Chinese spicy mustard...the Chinese would not let the Mexican's grab all the spice glory. Never bought any of it, but I love dipping my egg roll in it when we eat out.

Lavabe
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Three pages before any discussion of the luscious stone-ground varieties out there?:eek:

pamtar
11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Sausage wrap with cheese and French's. Bread has to be white or its unhealthy.

2535Miles
11-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Sausage wrap with cheese and French's. Bread has to be white or its unhealthy.
Mmmmm, I'll take mine with Colman's.

aimo
11-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I never liked Dijon mustard. Then I spent almost four months in Dijon, France. Then, I REALLY didn't like Dijon mustard. It's in EVERYTHING over there. On all sandwiches, in all salad dressings. Everywhere you go. You cannot escape it.

And, while I love hot stuff (ie hot sauces, hot peppers, etc) I cannot do horseradish. I just can't. I'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking of it. YAHHHH!!!!!

When we do ham, I like to mix yellow mustard with a little brown sugar for dipping. Yum!

Cormac
11-25-2008, 09:52 AM
My great-grandfather got me addicted to this when I was uber young. Best condiment ever.

/end of discussion :D

2535Miles
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
My great-grandfather got me addicted to this when I was uber young. Best condiment ever.

/end of discussion :D
<discussion>
Mustards, ketchups, steak sauces are often lumped into the condiment discussion, pushing out more "unconventional" condiments. Condiments include herbs, spices, rubs, and many other sauces. If I were going to have to pick the best condiment ever, it would be salt. But I do love Gulden's Spicy Brown.
</discussion>

rasputin
11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
We usually have 6 or 7 different ones in our fridge. I generally like the hot ones.