PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hot Sauce

blazindw
11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
In response to a query on another thread, what's your favorite hot sauce? Red Hot, Louisiana Hot Sauce, Texas Pete, Tabasco, Phillip "Hot Sauce" Champion, or another sauce?

I'm a Red Hot fan, but on the court, you can't beat Hot Sizzle. He'll take you fast or in slow motion.

CathyCA
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't put hot sauce on foods, but I do use Tabasco sauce occasionally when I'm cooking.

Tommac
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Don't know if they qualify as hot sauces, but John Boy and Billy grilling sauces are really good, and their hot one is really hot!

hurleyfor3
11-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Whenever I went down to Cackalacky I would get a big bottle of Texas Pete to take back home. I can't do that anymore thanks to the government's War on Liquids.

blazindw
11-21-2008, 03:00 PM
And for those of you who don't know who Phillip "Hot Sauce" Champion is, here he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zvnJyV_qk&feature=related

2535Miles
11-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Whenever I went down to Cackalacky I would get a big bottle of Texas Pete to take back home. I can't do that anymore thanks to the government's War on Liquids.
I order Texas Pete (and Duke's Mayo) and have it delivered. The Aunts and 'Rents are also kind enough to provide me with the goodies whenever I go back.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't really have any major preference, but I usually buy Texas Pete. He has a lasso, and lassos are cool.

CathyCA
11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I order Texas Pete (and Duke's Mayo) and have it delivered. The Aunts and 'Rents are also kind enough to provide me with the goodies whenever I go back.

I know how that is. I used to bring Duke's mayonnaise back to California in my suitcase. The TSA loved me. ;)

Acymetric
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I voted other. I usually use Texas Pete, but the last couple years I've been using my stash of "Belizean Heat" hot sauce that I got on a service trip to Belize a few years ago. It was a habanero based hot sauce, and it was great. Just a couple drops of it in a soup, or on a sandwich, or for whatever else you wanted to do with it, and you were set. I ran out a couple of months ago, how sad...

Indoor66
11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Check it out here (http://www.mohotta.com/category/26) for hot sauces. I have purchased several and they are all they are described!

wilson
11-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Tabasco is easily my favorite, but it's also really expensive. If it's not on special, I'll buy Texas Pete, Louisiana, Red Rooster, whatever. I think it's a bottle of Louisiana in my cabinet right now.

DukeUsul
11-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm using Cholula these days. It's pretty good.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 12:58 AM

Put the bottle in a sock and then stick it inside a running shoe and put it in your suitcase as checked luggage. Works with my favorite beverage and has for years;).

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm using Cholula these days. It's pretty good.
Tapatio is another sauce similar to Cholula. You should check it out.

YmoBeThere
11-22-2008, 07:39 AM
There are all kinds of hot sauces not listed here that are excellent. One in particular I remember was from Barbados, I don't remember what it was called. It was my father's favorite.

wilson
11-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I used to pick up a couple of bottles of some stuff called "Savage" when I'd go to Honduras.
It was aptly named.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Texas Pete. I don't get out much. I don't know many others:o.

ohioguy2
11-22-2008, 09:34 AM
There should be no debate on this. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce by Huy Fong Foods of Rosemont, CA. The big bottle with the rooster on the front. I pride myself with being a hot sauce expert--all that you have mentioned are anywhere from good to very good--this one is the best.:D

wilson
11-22-2008, 09:36 AM
There should be no debate on this. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce by Huy Fong Foods of Rosemont, CA. The big bottle with the rooster on the front. I pride myself with being a hot sauce expert--all that you have mentioned are anywhere from good to very good--this one is the best.:D

I can get with that...that stuff is indeed really good.

DukeUsul
11-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Yup, Huy Fong's (http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/features/rooster.htm) Sriracha is great. I tend to cook with Huy Fong's Tuong ot Toi (chili garlic sauce) much more often though. I use it in all my stir fry.

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 11:23 AM
This brings up a good point. There are different types of hot sauces. Sriracha (or Rooster Sauce as we call it) is an Asian style sauce while the others listed in the poll are American Louisiana sauces.

As this is a 'favorite poll', not 'best' poll, I don't think there's any wrong answer. If you were going to do a 'best' poll I believe you'd have to have separate categories for the styles of sauces.

mehmattski
11-23-2008, 03:39 PM
My favorite hot sauce is Matouk's (http://carolinasauce.stores.yahoo.net/hot-sauces-matouk-s.html) which hails from Trinidad and Tobago. It's not runny like tabasco and Texas Pete... it's a thick, hearty sauce that glides into your chili or jambalaya. My dad brought some back from New Orleans a while ago and I've been hooked. It can be tough to find around Durham-- I used to get it at Fowler's before they went out of business, but I've been lucky in the specialty foods section of Kroger!

This stuff is powerful too, one small gob will spice up your bowl of chili! And it's not one of those "so hot it's painful" kind of burns, either, it's actually packed with tons of flavor-- which can't be said for some of those runny hot sauces out there.

willywoody
11-23-2008, 04:42 PM
El Yucateca, both the green and the red are really good and give a good deal more heat than Tabasco, but without giving up flavor. I find it at Food Lion down here in SC.

Cavlaw
11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Cholula.

2535Miles
11-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Cholula.
Good stuff.

UVaAmbassador
11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Anyone skilled in the creation of their own hot sauce? I love heat. I make a chili (which I keep meaning to post to the recipe thread) which is very flavorful but can take the paint off your walls (it gave one person a nose bleed). I'm getting some Bhut Jolokia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper) seeds for Christmas, and would like to create my own sauce using the peppers I grow. Anyone wise in the ways of liquid fire creation?

2535Miles
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Anyone skilled in the creation of their own hot sauce? I love heat. I make a chili (which I keep meaning to post to the recipe thread) which is very flavorful but can take the paint off your walls (it gave one person a nose bleed). I'm getting some Bhut Jolokia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper) seeds for Christmas, and would like to create my own sauce using the peppers I grow. Anyone wise in the ways of liquid fire creation?
I never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it I am intrigued. I make plenty of different dry rubs for grilling and barbecuing but have never added liquid.

Any tips?

DukeUsul
11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it I am intrigued. I make plenty of different dry rubs for grilling and barbecuing but have never added liquid.

Any tips?

I've never done it, but I've got to think you take the chiles and probably cook them first (roasted or dried perhaps). Then add to cuisinart with vinegar and salt. Not sure of the ratio.

Johnboy
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I voted Texas Pete, because I use it almost daily, but there are lots of others I really like. Off the top of my head, I like these a whole lot:
Lizano Salsa from Costa Rica (http://www.gourmetmikes.com/lizanohotsauce.html)
and Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce (http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/pepper_sauce/chipotle_pepper_sauce.cfm).

I'm not a big fan of the super-hot sauces except to cook with.

Turk
11-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh my, could we do an "mmm... hot sauce" thread? I used to work with a bunch of pepperheads and every so often we'd all pitch in and get enough for a discount of one kind or another from here:

https://hotpeppersauceshopping.com/cube/index.php

and then anyone in the office could sample a sauce on whatever sandwiches or hoagies they were eating...

rasputin
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I have plugged www.3gatosfireandrice.com before on this site. They are on the internet and have a bricks and mortar place in Hillsborough. Unfortunately, the bad economy is doing them in. They are closing as of year's end. Check'em out before then; lots of variety and good quality stuff.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
adam scotts

UVaAmbassador
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Bump. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

2535Miles
11-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Bump. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
A little Googling around confirms DukeUsul's approach. Roast the peppers, peel, add to food processor with garlic and spices, slowly add vinegar to running mixer until well-blended.

Here's a starting ratio:
20 Large Fresh tabasco chiles
2 Cloves Garlic, cut in half
1/2 Cup Vinegar
Salt to taste

Ymmmm Hot Sauce.

DukeUsul
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
A little Googling around confirms DukeUsul's approach. Roast the peppers, peel, add to food processor with garlic and spices, slowly add vinegar to running mixer until well-blended.

Here's a starting ratio:
20 Large Fresh tabasco chiles
2 Cloves Garlic, cut in half
1/2 Cup Vinegar
Salt to taste

Ymmmm Hot Sauce.

You can either roast the pepper in the oven on high heat or on the stovetop (if you have gas). I like to throw the chile right on the grate over the fire with a pair of tongs. Rotate every few minutes. Once fully blackened, throw the chile in a ziploc bag and seal. Give it a few minutes. The steam will collect in the bag and loosen the charred skin. Once it's cooled a bit, you can pull the skin right off. The more blackened the skin the easier it is to peel.

ETA: Oh and if you're dealing with really tiny chiles, in the oven is probably better. I'd throw a tray right under the broiler.

rasputin
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
You can either roast the pepper in the oven on high heat or on the stovetop (if you have gas). I like to throw the chile right on the grate over the fire with a pair of tongs. Rotate every few minutes. Once fully blackened, throw the chile in a ziploc bag and seal. Give it a few minutes. The steam will collect in the bag and loosen the charred skin. Once it's cooled a bit, you can pull the skin right off. The more blackened the skin the easier it is to peel.

ETA: Oh and if you're dealing with really tiny chiles, in the oven is probably better. I'd throw a tray right under the broiler.

I use a paper bag, not ziploc. Just roll the bag up. Also, if you're getting the skin and/or seeds out of a roasted pepper, don't take the easy way out by rinsing in water, because by doing so, you're rinsing away the good stuff.

Cormac
12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I was thinking about starting a thread about hot sauces, so I'm glad someone beat me to it. Besides Cholula and Tabasco, I'm a BIG fan of the Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce. Its all about flavor, but it lacks the heat of just regular Tabasco. I love it though. Highly recommend it. Also, just bought a bottle of Texas Pete and a bottle of Tapatio off of recommendations in this thread, so keep them coming!!! :D Haven't tried them yet, but I'll let people know what I think!!

jimbonelson
12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I like crystal hot sauce also i have been using scorned women wich is very good

bigj4194
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM

i'm glad other people know about this...by far my favorite hot sauce....i've been known to go through many bottles of this stuff in rapid succession...first time i had it was at a summer camp when my counselor brought 3 bottles of it to a 3 week session...we (the cabin of 8 and 2 counselors) finished his 3 bottles in less than 10 days.

Sriracha is far and away the best hot sauce

Cormac
12-05-2008, 09:05 AM
i'm glad other people know about this...by far my favorite hot sauce....i've been known to go through many bottles of this stuff in rapid succession...first time i had it was at a summer camp when my counselor brought 3 bottles of it to a 3 week session...we (the cabin of 8 and 2 counselors) finished his 3 bottles in less than 10 days.

Sriracha is far and away the best hot sauce

I tried Sriracha and couldn't really get into it. Maybe I need to give it another whirl/try it on different foods. Suggestions on how to use it? It seems to be quite popular on the board. Also, I tried Texas Pete and liked it. I haven't uncorked my bottle of Tapatio yet.

2535Miles
12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I tried Sriracha and couldn't really get into it. Maybe I need to give it another whirl/try it on different foods. Suggestions on how to use it? It seems to be quite popular on the board. Also, I tried Texas Pete and liked it. I haven't uncorked my bottle of Tapatio yet.
Rooster Sauce goes great with Asian and Pacific Island cuisines. My ex is Puerto Rican and her family put Rooster Sauce on everything. I did too and loved it! It's also a great addition to cocktail sauce and other seafood dipping sauces that need a little zing. I'd suggest using it with foods where a vinegar based sauce would destroy the flavor. You won't see me putting Rooster Sauce on my BBQ, and you won't see me putting Texas Pete in a stir-fry either.

Olympic Fan
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Sorry I'm a late comer to this thread ... but I have a strong favorite that only one other person has mentioned -- Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce.

It's a cayanne based sauce that's been manufactured in New Orleans since 1923 (until Katrina ... now they have a new plant in Reserve, La.). It's been the best-selling hot sauce in Louisiana for years. The last time I saw the New Orleans Times-Picayune run a poll on the subject, it was voted far and away the favorite hot sauce of the newspaper's readers.

I like it because it has real heat initially, but without the lingering burn of other hot sauces. It's great to cook with. And it's cheap ... remarkably cheap.

I was turned on to Crystal in 1993. I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and was able to attend a small, private cooking demonstration by Paul Prudhomme and he recommeded it (insisting that he didn't get a promotional cut from the manufacterer). A few years later, when I first saw Emirl Lagasse on the food network, he was using Crystal too (although now he uses his own brand-name hit sauce ... which is good, but overpriced).

Sometimes you have to scramble to find it ... I have to prod my local Kroger's at times. It's on their master list of products, but not on their automatic order list.

But try it -- as I say, it's cheap ... but's the best Lousiana-style hot sauce out there.

Cormac
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Rooster Sauce goes great with Asian and Pacific Island cuisines. My ex is Puerto Rican and her family put Rooster Sauce on everything. I did too and loved it! It's also a great addition to cocktail sauce and other seafood dipping sauces that need a little zing. I'd suggest using it with foods where a vinegar based sauce would destroy the flavor. You won't see me putting Rooster Sauce on my BBQ, and you won't see me putting Texas Pete in a stir-fry either.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to buy another bottle of the Rooster and give it a whirl.

Sorry I'm a late comer to this thread ... but I have a strong favorite that only one other person has mentioned -- Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce.

It's a cayanne based sauce that's been manufactured in New Orleans since 1923 (until Katrina ... now they have a new plant in Reserve, La.). It's been the best-selling hot sauce in Louisiana for years. The last time I saw the New Orleans Times-Picayune run a poll on the subject, it was voted far and away the favorite hot sauce of the newspaper's readers.

I like it because it has real heat initially, but without the lingering burn of other hot sauces. It's great to cook with. And it's cheap ... remarkably cheap.

I was turned on to Crystal in 1993. I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and was able to attend a small, private cooking demonstration by Paul Prudhomme and he recommeded it (insisting that he didn't get a promotional cut from the manufacterer). A few years later, when I first saw Emirl Lagasse on the food network, he was using Crystal too (although now he uses his own brand-name hit sauce ... which is good, but overpriced).

Sometimes you have to scramble to find it ... I have to prod my local Kroger's at times. It's on their master list of products, but not on their automatic order list.

But try it -- as I say, it's cheap ... but's the best Lousiana-style hot sauce out there.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a bottle of the Crystal Hot Sauce. Hopefully I enjoy it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to buy another bottle of the Rooster and give it a whirl.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a bottle of the Crystal Hot Sauce. Hopefully I enjoy it!
Crystal sponsored the Cajun cook off in Saint Louis over the weekend. Did anyone attend?

Cormac
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Sauces that I like (in no particular order):
Tobasco, Tobasco Chipotle (really like this one), Frank's Red Hot (I have their Wing Sauce too, but haven't tried it), Cholula (a personal fav), and Tapatio. I guess to this point Cholula and Tobasco Chipotle are my favorites. I do like the original Tobasco on pizza though!

I haven't tried the Crystal Hot Sauce I bought yet and honestly, I'm not a big fan of Texas Pete. Not sure why, just an ok sauce to me. Also, I'm still planning on purchasing some Rooster sauce this weekend and trying it again!

2535Miles
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Sauces that I like (in no particular order):
Tobasco, Tobasco Chipotle (really like this one), Frank's Red Hot (I have their Wing Sauce too, but haven't tried it), Cholula (a personal fav), and Tapatio. I guess to this point Cholula and Tobasco Chipotle are my favorites. I do like the original Tobasco on pizza though!

I haven't tried the Crystal Hot Sauce I bought yet and honestly, I'm not a big fan of Texas Pete. Not sure why, just an ok sauce to me. Also, I'm still planning on purchasing some Rooster sauce this weekend and trying it again!
I was just gonna ask if you've had a chance to sample the Rooster sauce. Let us know how you like it!

Cormac
02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I was just gonna ask if you've had a chance to sample the Rooster sauce. Let us know how you like it!

I just bought another bottle of the Rooster sauce, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still taking suggestions on what to put it on/uses! :D

Channing
02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.trinidadcharlie.com/hot-sauce.htm

Trinidad Charlie's Pumpkin hot sauce is awesome. Whenever I hear of someone heading off to the USVI, I ask them to bring me back some.

ohioguy2
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I just bought another bottle of the Rooster sauce, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still taking suggestions on what to put it on/uses!
:D

I use it on soups and stews. I have also put it on scrambled eggs and omelets. It was good on asian foods. Heck, anyplace you would use hot sauce would range from great to good.

Cormac
02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I finally cracked open a bottle of Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce and a bottle of Sriracha. I tried them both on tacos and I enjoyed both. The Crystal reminded me a lot of Tobasco (which makes sense, duh). I just used a little of the Rooster sauce on one taco and I enjoyed it. I think my beef with it is that it is so different in taste and texture from other hot sauces that I'm still just trying to figure it out.

rsvman
02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I went to school at Tulane and tried a bunch of hot sauces there. I like Crystal better than Tabasco, but I really think Texas Pete is better than either one.

Texas Pete is my go-to hot sauce now and has been for several years.

Cormac
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I went to school at Tulane and tried a bunch of hot sauces there. I like Crystal better than Tabasco, but I really think Texas Pete is better than either one.

Texas Pete is my go-to hot sauce now and has been for several years.

I just can't get into Texas Pete for some reason. I just finished a bottle and it seemed......bland to me. I don't know what it is, but I don't think I'll be buying another bottle anytime soon. Tabasco, on the other hand, I like a lot. Their Chipotle hot sauce is really good I think. Not as hot as the original but much more flavor.

devildeac
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
I just can't get into Texas Pete for some reason. I just finished a bottle and it seemed......bland to me. I don't know what it is, but I don't think I'll be buying another bottle anytime soon. Tabasco, on the other hand, I like a lot. Their Chipotle hot sauce is really good I think. Not as hot as the original but much more flavor.

A few dashes of Texas Pete on the nachos along with a few jalapenos will always bring out a few beads of perspiration on the temples and back of my neck. Ymm, hot sauce (in small quantities, of course)...

Cormac
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Has anyone tried the new flavors Tobasco offers? They have a garlic sauce as well as a sweet & spicy (which is supposed to be a blend of Asian flavors). I'm thinking about buying their 6 sauce caddy they offer and just trying all of the ones I haven't had so far.

DukeCO2009
02-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Texas Pete, and it's not even close. I put it on absolutely everything--burgers, chicken, eggs, pizza, tacos, barbecue, fries, hot dogs, steak, etc. It's the perfect balance between spicy and flavorful. Love the sutff. For extra kick, I go with Dave's Insanity or Blair's Death Sauce, but that's only for when I'm cooking fairly large amounts--a little goes a LONG way.

DukeDevil
02-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Blair's 16 million reserve.

mmmmmmm

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

I'm actually scared of it.

With the sraicha (sp?) hot sauce, I find it's best for cooking with rather than just adding straight to food. I used to just go for the hottest sauces I could get my hands on but I realized that a lot of times these sauces trade flavor for heat. I find that texas pete and crystal are both very mild but contain lots of flavor that complements foods that you'd adding them to. Tabasco is a tad bit hotter but also has plenty of flavor.

Cormac
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I put some Rooster sauce on white rice last night that I had with some orange chicken. I tend to mix everything together so while I didn't notice any added flavor (the orange sauce wiped out the taste of the Rooster sauce), I did notice and enjoy the added heat. So I have found at least one way to use it in which I will continue to do in the future!

2535Miles
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I put some Rooster sauce on white rice last night that I had with some orange chicken. I tend to mix everything together so while I didn't notice any added flavor (the orange sauce wiped out the taste of the Rooster sauce), I did notice and enjoy the added heat. So I have found at least one way to use it in which I will continue to do in the future!
I think this is one of the best attributes of Rooster sauce. It has a great chili flavor, and the heat spreads well through the dish without overpowering the meal, whereas the Louisiana-style sauces must be carefully measured against the other ingredients. Try adding the Rooster sauce to tomato-based seafood dips. Mmmmmmmmmm.

hc5duke
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
man you missed both of my top two (and only sauces I request at restaurants):

sriracha (rooster) sauce
cholula

chi
03-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Maggi Chilli Sauce -- has a little sweetness in it
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Maggi-Chilli-Sauce.html

Thai or Vietnamese Chilli cause are pretty good too, but I don't have a specific brand in mind ...