PDA

View Full Version : SI/Luke Winn Article - Duke/SIU

slower
11-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's a link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/11/21/southern.illinois/index.html

Here's my favorite passage:

"They were shown video clips, ad nauseam, of Duke finding ways to tip balls on the offensive glass, Duke rebounding missed free throws, Duke hustling to save long caroms on three-point attempts. "You see those guys?" Lowery said at one point, making sure his team took note of the Blue Devils' hustle. "Animals. They're f----- animals." Added Watson after a clip from the Georgia Southern game, "They're up 40 and they're still doing this!"

Love it!

77devil
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Rarely in the Coach Bubas or K era was a Duke team out hustled.

roywhite
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Rarely in the Coach Bubas or K era was a Duke team out hustled.

I agree with that. Unfortunately, in the last 3 NCAA Tournament games (vs VCU in 2007, Belmont and West Virginia in 2008), I don't think it was true.

Jaymf7
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I like how their strategy was to keep us out of the lane. Despite their best efforts, we seemed to get to the paint quite frequently last night (except for when they held us and we went to the line instead).

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I like how their strategy was to keep us out of the lane. Despite their best efforts, we seemed to get to the paint quite frequently last night (except for when they held us and we went to the line instead).

I thought it was interesting that SIU was grabbing so much that they never really had the chance to even try to play helpside D.

One of the things I was most impressed with about Duke last night was their help defense. How many times did their PG drive from the wing only to get cut off at the lane by Zoubek, Plumlee, Singler? And they maintained good defensive position so as not to give up the easy dish inside. This gave Smith, Scheyer and Paulus time to recover on those wing penetrations. It was awesome!

BlueintheFace
11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Here is an article on Lowery of SIU preparing for Duke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/11/21/southern.illinois/index.html

Here is a truly awesome quote from the article.

The next point on Watson's sheet -- before he launched into a detailed rundown of each player -- was "limit their second chances." They were shown video clips, ad nauseam, of Duke finding ways to tip balls on the offensive glass, Duke rebounding missed free throws, Duke hustling to save long caroms on three-point attempts. "You see those guys?" Lowery said at one point, making sure his team took note of the Blue Devils' hustle. "Animals. They're f----- animals." Added Watson after a clip from the Georgia Southern game, "They're up 40 and they're still doing this!"

Cell-R
11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm impressed by all of the practice and thought they put into the game.
I have no idea how college basketball works, but does everybody prepare that much for every team? Or only big games?

"Animals. They're f----- animals." Added Watson after a clip from the Georgia Southern game, "They're up 40 and they're still doing this!"

That is possibly one of my favorite quotes of all time now :D
That's a pretty big compliment.