PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Virginia Tech

Acymetric
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I looked around and it didn't look like someone had started one yet, feel free to merge if I missed something.

Even though we've had some pretty major personnel losses recently, I'm still looking forward to watching this game. I don't give us much of a chance, and if we do stay in the game I expect it to be mostly due to the play of special teams and defense.

I think Asack will play better than he did against Clemson, but I'm not sure how much. I know Jabari looked like he got hurt last weekend, but I haven't seen an injury report with him listed, so is he in good shape to play? We really can't handle any more injuries to our DBs.

wilson
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be honest: I'm really not looking forward to watching this game. I'm really proud of the team's overall progress this season, but they are really beaten up at this point, and we've always been outclassed athletically by the Hokies. Historically, they've kicked our butts up and down the field over and over, and I expect largely more of the same this time. I'll be pleased if we can hold the final margin to 20 or so (I'd feel somewhat differently if the game were in Durham). We're very much headed in the right direction, but I think we've still got a ways to go before we can feel good about our chances coming into a game like this.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I think Asack will play better than he did against Clemson, but I'm not sure how much.
At least Zack has had a full week of reps with the first team, so that HAS to help. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst, going against a very good team in their house, and we are banged up as we could possibly be. They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and have an INT or two. If we can force ANY turnovers that would be a big boost, we haven't done so hot in that department lately, but we were doing a very good job of it early on.

Acymetric
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
At least Zack has had a full week of reps with the first team, so that HAS to help. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst, going against a very good team in their house, and we are banged up as we could possibly be. They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and have an INT or two. If we can force ANY turnovers that would be a big boost, we haven't done so hot in that department lately, but we were doing a very good job of it early on.

Another thing thing worth remembering was that it was extremely windy at Clemson. I don't think its supposed to be that windy at VT, thought its going to be really cold, which could cause problems.

I think I remember some confusion about the start time (some people thought 5:30, some 7:30). Pretty sure its at 5:30 though. Just in case someone didn't know.

wilson
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I think I remember some confusion about the start time (some people thought 5:30, some 7:30). Pretty sure its at 5:30 though. Just in case someone didn't know.

ESPN, who is broadcasting the game (on 'the U'), lists the start time as 5:30.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Time for the boys to dig in and fight.

There's no question this is the toughest battle of the year so far. But Cut will have a plan, and the guys gotta bring the heart.

We can do this.

-- OPK

killerleft
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Good luck, Devils!

Yeah, we're beaten up in all the wrong places, it seems. Whe owe them big time.

Wish Thad had the chance to give 'em hell for the late hits our last time up there.

Go Duke!

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Couple hours until gametime...so far all the games I've followed went the right way. I hated Michigan before Rich Rod, and doubly so now that he's there, so seeing them get crushed was nice (I'm not an Ohio State fan, but my OSU friends have convinced me to at least hate Michigan). NC State stomped Carolina.

Wait, I take that back, I wanted Virginia to beat Clemson. Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, as they say.

CameronBornAndBred
11-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Kick off temp should be about 35, will be in 20's by game end, brrr.
Heading to DukePA's shortly to watch it. We'll be sending good NC beach vibes to the VA mountains. Bringin' my laptop, hoping to snrubchat!

Indoor66
11-22-2008, 03:42 PM
The game is televised over the internet (I think) here: http://channelsurfing.net/

Wander
11-22-2008, 03:47 PM
They will attack the hell out of our corners, but who knows.

Luckily VT's quarterbacks suck. But I don't think we can get the offense we need for a win without Thad.

ChrisP
11-22-2008, 06:30 PM
In the first quarter and a quarter, we've gotten 4 VT turnovers but....only 3 points. What is UP with this offense? Can Asack not throw a 3-4 yard pass? How many times are we going to run it on first down???!!!

grossbus
11-22-2008, 06:33 PM
i have watched only about half the game, but i don't think i have seen zack hand it off once. he does realize that Option implies that a handoff is possible, right?

wolfpackdevil
11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
It has been a great game so far.

Our defense has been supurb, and zack is running pretty well.

Now, VT has 5 turnovers, and we have the ball.

I would like to see some 4 or 5 yard screen passes, like Thad always does. If our defense keeps playing like this, next week will be for a bowl game.

Gunnar Kaufman
11-22-2008, 06:41 PM
If this doesn't put to rest the "Asack is better than Lewis" talk, nothing will.

We have forced 5 million turnovers, and scored three points, and converted zero 3rd downs.

ChrisP
11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
It has been a great game so far.

Our defense has been supurb, and zack is running pretty well.

Now, VT has 5 turnovers, and we have the ball.

I would like to see some 4 or 5 yard screen passes, like Thad always does. If our defense keeps playing like this, next week will be for a bowl game.

From a defensive standpoint, it's been a great game. Offensively...horrible. Unimaginative, predictable and most important, completely ineffective.

wilson
11-22-2008, 06:48 PM
If this doesn't put to rest the "Asack is better than Lewis" talk, nothing will.

We have forced 5 million turnovers, and scored three points, and converted zero 3rd downs.

But Thad is just so short...

On a lighter note, the phrase "Zack Attack" does recall several outstanding 'Saved By The Bell' episodes.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I have never in my life seen such great opportunities created by a defense so completely wasted. Our O is a joke. No creativity, no passing at all, no reason for VT to expect anything but to watch Zack keep the ball, run 1-2 yards, and get tackled. My heart breaks for our D. Those guys have come out with a truly amazing performance and we're completely trashing it.:mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Say what you want about our offense, this game is much closer than most expected, especially the folk in Blacksburg. Our defense is playing a great game. Keep it up guys! I love the intensity our guys are showing tonight. It's so cold in Blacksburg, maybe the proverbial freeze over in Hades is about to set up!
Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke! Let's Go Duke!

grossbus
11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
"Our defense is playing a great game. "

but, unless the offense can stay on the field and DO something, they will eventually wear down, just like in other games this season.

grossbus
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
biggest upgrade priority has to be O line.

Bob Green
11-22-2008, 07:31 PM
As usual, I'm listening to the game on the radio. Bob Harris has described several punts as "tail draggers." I've watched/listened to football games for many years but I am unfamiliar with this term. Is he saying the ball didn't turn over in flight?

DownEastDevil
11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Worst case of play calling I have ever seen. Why not try some short passes? There is no way you can run the ball with zero passing. If he keeps sending Asack up the mddle we will be down to the 3rd string QB

Gunnar Kaufman
11-22-2008, 08:00 PM
This is abysmal. The refs should call it, friendos.

Sixthman
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Worst case of play calling I have ever seen. Why not try some short passes? There is no way you can run the ball with zero passing. If he keeps sending Asack up the mddle we will be down to the 3rd string QB

Cutcliff promised we would see him always play to win when it comes to play calling. It's time to make good on that promise and win this game!

grossbus
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
would zero yards passing be a record?

ChrisP
11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I have never played a down of organized football but...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result when it has NOT worked is unbelievable. I'd rather lose by 42 points than this mess. I agree that it doesn't seem that the coaching staff is playing this one to win. It looks like we're trying not to lose by too many points. I don't get it...I just don't...

El_Diablo
11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Zack completed a pass finally. But it was short of the first down marker, making it 4th and 3...

throatybeard
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Zack completed a pass finally. But it was short of the first down marker, making it 4th and 3...

Nice, a four yard route on 3rd and 8 and that's our first completion

I think our only hope is a pick-6.

VaDukie
11-22-2008, 08:16 PM
The only way this play calling makes sense is if we are setting up for the most epic play action pass of all time.

Sixthman
11-22-2008, 08:18 PM
The only way this play calling makes sense is if we are setting up for the most epic play action pass of all time.

There is no excuse here for not either scoring a touchdown or throwing an interception. I will support play calling that leads to either.

Sixthman
11-22-2008, 08:23 PM
We went for it. That's good enough for me.

grossbus
11-22-2008, 08:25 PM
"There is no excuse here for not either scoring a touchdown or throwing an interception. I will support play calling that leads to either."

you got it!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-22-2008, 08:28 PM
this has been hard to watch. He should've paced the sideline asking HAS ANYBODY EVER PLAYED QB? IF SO YOUR ARSE IS GOING IN. Heck put Tauilli (sp?) in @ QB, at least I know he would give 110%

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Please don't ever tell us again that Zack Asack should be our starting quarterback. Hopefully he'll change positions next year and be a contributing running back, allowing Lewis and Renfree to be our QB's. This is not a personal knock on Zack, he's just not much of a passer.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
I am so proud of our defense. I am not going to say anything else because I think I'd regret it later on. Congrats D, you played your heart out for four quarters and should have an easy/blowout win to show for it. We're all so proud of your effort, heart, and execution.

DukeCO2009
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
2/9, 20 yards, 4 picks

Yikes.

gep
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
6 for 9 passing... problem was... 2 to Duke, 4 to VT:(

DownEastDevil
11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I guess I know now why the game plan was so bad. It was the best he could come up with knowing our QB could't pass.

wilson
11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I am so proud of our defense. I am not going to say anything else because I think I'd regret it later on. Congrats D, you played your heart out for four quarters and should have an easy/blowout win to show for it. We're all so proud of your effort, heart, and execution.

Amen. Kudos to the ground game too...about 150 yards tonight, a solid improvment over some early-season performances.
But still...incomplete performances leading to "coulda, woulda, shoulda" grow old.

Highlander
11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Well, FDA got what he wanted. Zack completed five passes the entire game. The only problem was that four of them were to VTech defenders. Think about that stat for a moment. Four interceptions to only one completion. I'd love to hear his defense about how Asack should be starting over Lewis. Thad had better numbers than that against GTech and Miami, teams I'd put in the same league as VTech, and he's never had four picks in a game this year. It's no wonder the coaches opted to run the ball every down. That's pretty much all Asack was capable of tonight.

I'll give the coaches credit, however. Their strategy was decent. Consider that we were only down four points with the ball and under two minutes to go in the game. I would have taken that if you'd given it to me before the game. We opted to shorten the game and hope for a mistake on D and a big play on Offense. We got the mistakes, but no big plays. We did well to even be in the game.

The reason we were in the game was our Defense. They were awesome. They pretty much shut down VTech's offense all night, yielding only one drive for points the entire game. Their effort was absolutely incredible, and they singlehandedly kept us in the game. They forced 5 turnovers in the first 20 minutes of the game. My hat's off to them.

It's sad, because a halfway decent Offense would have buried VTech by 2 or 3 TDs in the first half. Unfortunately, our injuries to RB and QB pretty much left us with no options tonite.

If Lewis is back next week, we should have a shot against UNC if our D plays like that.

wolfpackdevil
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I am ashamed at our coach tonight. David Cutcliffe had the worst play calling I have seen in a long time.

Zack Asack is very capable of throwing 5 or 6 yard passes consistantly, but he had to run the ball from the shotgun every time.

Duke SHOULD have won this game. 5 first half turnovers by VT, and they started in VT territory 4 times in the first half, and scored 1 field goal. They did horrible calling plays, and thats about it.

Other than the play calling they played great. The defense was magnificent.

But in a game that was a must win for bowl eligibility, Coach Cutcliffe did not play for a win. He played hoping VT would turn the ball over again.

Not a lot of momentum heading in to the battle for the Victory Bell.

FireOgilvie
That was the ugliest game I've ever seen.

Congratulations to the defense for holding VT to 7.

The offense was outscored 7-3. Not great.

Asack completed 6/9 passes! Of course 4 of those were caught by VT players...

How many times in the history of college football has someone thrown twice as many interceptions as completions?

Acymetric

This is so true. I think its really sad that this solid defensive unit is going to waste this year. They've had a couple bad games, but have been playing really well most of the time. I hope the seniors know how much we appreciate their hard work and that they're proud of themselves.

doctorhook
Sushi,

Unfortunately, we do not have a third string quaterback, seriously. Cliff Harris was probably next up.

loran16
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=172902

ESPN lists today's performance as worth a -43 Passer rating. -43.00.

Thad and Renfree from here on out the next couple of years please.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 08:47 PM

So you CAN get a negative rating! Or maybe ESPN is changing the system just for that game.

RelativeWays
11-22-2008, 08:47 PM
D was great in this game and really has been underrated this year. I think alot of the TDS they gave up this year came in the 4th quarter when they were tired and got no help from the offense with tons of 3 and outs. The bad thing is our D has a lot of seniors on it. I'm still looking forward to next season.

doctorhook
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Wolfpackdevil,

What makes you think Asack is capable of that 5/6? Hey, before the game, if I had told you we had the ball on the last posession to win the game at VaTech ( forget the score ), would you have been happy?

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Oh, but look at his rating from the Wake game! 446! He should win the Heisman!

Seriously though, the Thad v. Renfree debate is one that I think will actually have merit. Renfree is supposed to be the real deal. That said, I'll be shocked if Thad doesn't start next year. Renfree will probably get some snaps, but Thad will be Duke's QB. I feel pretty confident saying that.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Our defense played great for all four quarters. 3 picks, 2 fumble recoveries, Tauiliili, Rey and Oghobaase all around double digit tackles (I think Rey had 12), excellent coverage by our DB's, just a superlative night by those guys. We just had no offense other than Asack running the ball. Might have been nice to see a reverse to Riley, just so he could have touched the ball once.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Our defense played great for all four quarters. 3 picks, 2 fumble recoveries, Tauiliili, Rey and Oghobaase all around double digit tackles (I think Rey had 12), excellent coverage by our DB's, just a superlative night by those guys. We just had no offense other than Asack running the ball. Might have been nice to see a reverse to Riley, just so he could have touched the ball once.

I maintain that Riley should have been back catching punts if we weren't going to pass it to him. I don't want him returning when he's going to be involved as a receiver, don't want to risk getting him hurt or tired, but when he's not getting touches, put him in to return punts.

Carolina did that with Steve Smith years ago in the game that Jake Delhomme basically gave away (he had like 4 or 6 ints) so that he could get a touch and he ran it back for a TD. Not that Riley is Steve Smith, but you get my point.

RelativeWays
Thad will be a senior and despite what a few detractors say, he's a competent QB with flashes of excellence. His key to success is going to be how well the line prtects him and if we can get a solid and consistent running attack. Renfree will be in his 1st year as a player so he should ideally get snaps in games that have already been decided (hopefully in Dukes favor). After all, he'll be the man in 2010.

wolfpackdevil
Wolfpackdevil,

What makes you think Asack is capable of that 5/6? Hey, before the game, if I had told you we had the ball on the last posession to win the game at VaTech ( forget the score ), would you have been happy?

Yes I would have been happy.

But ill tell you somethin, I would have rather the offense TRY to win the game, and lose by 20, than not try to win the game and lose by what should have been 4.

They could have at least tried to pass the ball, or get it in the hands of Riley or Williams.

And, dont tell me hes not capable of throwing 5/6! You can't be an ACC QB without being able to throw the ball. We should have at least tried something, not do the following: Run, Run, Try to run, Punt.

Every time

Credit Tauililili, Oghobasse, and Gainey for having a hell of a game

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes I would have been happy.

But ill tell you somethin, I would have rather the offense TRY to win the game, and lose by 20, than not try to win the game and lose by what should have been 4.

They could have at least tried to pass the ball, or get it in the hands of Riley or Williams.

And, dont tell me hes not capable of throwing 5/6! You can't be an ACC QB without being able to throw the ball. We should have at least tried something, not do the following: Run, Run, Try to run, Punt.

Every time

Credit Tauililili, Oghobasse, and Gainey for having a hell of a game

I think there could be an argument made that Zach can't be a QB in the ACC. He's clearly lost something since is freshman year. Confidence? Maybe. Game experience after sitting out 3 years? Good chance. But he doesn't have it any more. I'm hoping he switches to another position, he's a good athlete, I feel like he could contribute more in another position, and I've said that most of the season.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-22-2008, 09:01 PM

I agree with your agreement. Those numbers are jaw-dropping, especially given how frustrated they must have been at the end. I'm really going to miss watching those guys...

...on Saturdays. I expect we'll have a chance to cheer for quite a few Devils on Sundays starting next Fall. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm hoping he switches to another position, he's a good athlete, I feel like he could contribute more in another position, and I've said that most of the season.

Like I said in another post here, next year he's a running back. Hollingsworth, Jackson, Asack and any redshirt freshman who can contribute. That's a lot of running talent to go with two good quarterbacks.

Lavabe
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
So you CAN get a negative rating! Or maybe ESPN is changing the system just for that game.

A HA!!! I thought so!!

Note: I didn't really think so when I asked this in the Snrub, but I began wondering.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree with your agreement. Those numbers are jaw-dropping, especially given how frustrated they must have been at the end. I'm really going to miss watching those guys...

...on Saturdays. I expect we'll have a chance to cheer for quite a few Devils on Sundays starting next Fall. :D

I hope that isn't true...the only senior I expect to do much is Mike T. The other two guys (the two Vinces) are juniors, so I hope they're back for us to watch on Saturday.

Its possible that Eron could make a roster, but I doubt he'll be a big contributor right away. I've heard at some point that some scouts like one of our senior O-lineman, but I find that hard to believe. Oh, Teilor Robinson should probably find a spot in the NFL too. Not too sure if anyone else is going to have a real shot out of this senior class. Next year I think we'll have a couple guys drafted.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Only Tauiliili is a senior. Rey and Oghobaase can be back next year. I sure hope that both Vince's choose to stay and play at Duke (Ogho redshirted his freshman year due to his leg injury, Rey is only a junior this year.)

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Like I said in another post here, next year he's a running back. Hollingsworth, Jackson, Asack and any redshirt freshman who can contribute. That's a lot of running talent to go with two good quarterbacks.

Don't forget Boyette! Pretty sure he'll be back next year at least...and I'm not sure whether Desmond Scott will redshirt or not (be great if we could, but if he's a real player we may not want to). Though some people say Scott might play WR more than RB.

I agree he could be a good RB, but could he fill any holes on defense? He's probably a little undersized for TE, I guess. He's a good athlete, we need to find a way to use him next year, and QB is not it.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Don't forget Boyette! Pretty sure he'll be back next year at least...and I'm not sure whether Desmond Scott will redshirt or not (be great if we could, but if he's a real player we may not want to). Though some people say Scott might play WR more than RB.

I agree he could be a good RB, but could he fill any holes on defense? He's probably a little undersized for TE, I guess. He's a good athlete, we need to find a way to use him next year, and QB is not it.

I did forget about Boyette. I'm hoping they can redshirt Scott, but if he's head and shoulders above the other guys, then we'll play him ... a lot.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I hope you're right re:Vince. We'll see after the season ends. I do think that whoever goes this year will be the vanguard for a succession of Devils for the next several seasons (at least). I'm out of my depth as soon as I step in the pool regarding football, but it seems like we've got a good number of guys who will/may end out in the League eventually.

I also agree with you re: Asack. Lots of physical tools that could be useful doing things that don't involve passing. Hope the coaches can find the right role for him going forward.

DownEastDevil
11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I really think you would have seen a different game plan if we were down by 2 TD's or more. As long as we were down by 4 he was not going to allow Asack to lose the game. He was going to continue trying to punch it down field with the hope someone could break one. I really would have loved to see some short passes or screens but in reality we did not have the personnel to do it. On that interception on the sideline you could see that he just doesn't have a very strong arm.The long pass with 3 minutes to go was his big play call and VT had it covered well and it was just not a good pass. Just like everyone said, the defense was aswsome and I'm very proud of them.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I did forget about Boyette. I'm hoping they can redshirt Scott, but if he's head and shoulders above the other guys, then we'll play him ... a lot.

I'm so excited about our running game next year, I really hope our O-line is solid. We have SERIOUS depth at RB, and if the line opens up some good holes our offense is really going to thrive as a relentless combination of running and passing. Not only will we be stacked at RB, I think we'll have a lot of talent at QB, and even though we lose Eron we'll have a ton of talented young receivers. I'm so excited for next year. But first things first: I'm still excited about NEXT WEEKEND! 9F!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
But first things first: I'm still excited about NEXT WEEKEND! 9F!

I'll be a lot more excited about next week if Thad Lewis is healthy enough to play and play well.

That said, 9F!

CameronBornAndBred
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I've seen tonight's game as a movie before. It was called Forrest Gump.

I really hope we have Lewis ready next week, in fact I'll take Thad on crutches. Kudos to the defense for an amazing game, and especially to MT#34. Great outing, he should be considered for All-American status.

DownEastDevil
11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I'll be a lot more excited about next week if Thad Lewis is healthy enough to play and play well.

That said, 9F!

AMEN! It will be a long ride for me to see that kind of offense again!

SushiChef
11-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Sushi,

Unfortunately, we do not have a third string quaterback, seriously. Cliff Harris was probably next up.

Too bad he was injured, cause I'm sure he could have done a better job passing. It skipped my mind that Renfree is a redshirt.

jimsumner
11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Mike Cappetto is the next in line at QB. Red-shirted last year and hasn't played this year. Cut indicated earlier in the week that Mike was working with the second unit in practice. Evidently, Cut thought that Cappetto wasn't ready. He's not especially mobile, so that may have been a consideration, given VT's pass pressure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke give Zack a look at WR in the spring. Riley and Chestnutt graduate and Bell and Ringfield haven't impressed. That leaves Williams, Kelly, and a lot of question marks. Remember Jon Jensen? Made a pretty successful QB to WR transition.

But for now, Zack may be Duke's starting QB next week. He did have some success as a true freshman, including a 328-yard passing performance at Clemson, so it's not like he doesn't have some ability. So, here's hoping for a good week in practice.

Cavlaw
11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
It's fair to call a spade a spade, and clearly our offense didn't perform today.

That said, destructive negativity infractions apply to posts about the football team as well as every other sport at Duke (and, frankly, elsewhere), not just basketball.

Please keep that in mind when presenting your views on the game. If you can't keep it civil and avoid tearing into college kids, then consider sharing your feelings with your dog instead of the board.

Acymetric
11-22-2008, 10:16 PM
It's fair to call a spade a spade, and clearly our offense didn't perform today.

That said, destructive negativity infractions apply to posts about the football team as well as every other sport at Duke (and, frankly, elsewhere), not just basketball.

Please keep that in mind when presenting your views on the game. If you can't keep it civil and avoid tearing into college kids, then consider sharing your feelings with your dog instead of the board.

Speaking of destructive negativity, I have a feeling Asack is going to be the butt of a lot of jokes in sportscasting tomorrow and possibly beyond. I hope I'm wrong, because I hate to see kids from any school get trashed in the media. Everyone who knows anything about the game knows he didn't play well, including himself, I'm sure he doesn't want his failure paraded around the news for friends, family, and himself to see. I hope that if he plays against Carolina that he puts together a solid game (though my preference is still that Lewis recover enough to play). And next year I hope we find a way to use his talents at a position other than QB, because he's obviously a good athlete.

Really tough game to watch, I really feel for our defense, they've played their guts out all year. I really hope something is done at the end of the season to show the seniors how much we appreciate the work they've done laying the groundwork for our future success.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Speaking of destructive negativity, I have a feeling Asack is going to be the butt of a lot of jokes in sportscasting tomorrow and possibly beyond. I hope I'm wrong, because I hate to see kids from any school get trashed in the media. Everyone who knows anything about the game knows he didn't play well, including himself, I'm sure he doesn't want his failure paraded around the news for friends, family, and himself to see. I hope that if he plays against Carolina that he puts together a solid game (though my preference is still that Lewis recover enough to play). And next year I hope we find a way to use his talents at a position other than QB, because he's obviously a good athlete.

Really tough game to watch, I really feel for our defense, they've played their guts out all year. I really hope something is done at the end of the season to show the seniors how much we appreciate the work they've done laying the groundwork for our future success.

Oooh, can we give out infraction points to espn if they do that:rolleyes::o?

heyman25
11-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Horrible and inept offense. Asack 2 for 9 and 4 interceptions. I guess the year watching Tom Brady did not register in his head.

godukecom
11-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Tom brady, torn ACL and all, would not get a passer rating of -43...

Scorp4me
11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
First off I have to whole heartedly agree with Highlander and disagree with wolfpackdevil. I wouldn't have thought it but being down only 4 with the last possesion shows me it was a good game plan. The few passes made also show me it was perhaps the only game plan.

I was surprised by how much Azack has digressed and several theories have been mentioned, all with merit. But I'm also pleased to see how much support he has gotten and also hope we are able to find a position where he can contribute. He did I think the best he could and we had a chance at the end..well, mathmatically at least.

Would have been nice to see how we could have done if we weren't so banged up.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I look at this game a bit differently than many of you guys.

In only one other game this year has Virginia Tech scored only 14 points and in that game Miami outscored them 16 to 14. Considering the sort of seasons Duke has had for some time, playing the Hokies this close is an accomplishment despite being such a frustrating ending. For fans to be extremely disappointed and demanding better is as big a turn around as the improvements which have taken place on the field this season.

After the game Coach Cutcliffe talked about how unselfish this team is and how enthusiastically they've thrown themselves into the new system. He described how after the late bus ride back to Durham, they'll get up tomorrow and do their weight lifting.... with energy and enthusiasm no less.... and get on with preparing for our arch rival Carolina! He talked about how close they've come to being bowl eligible this year..... unheard in these parts for years (except for Coach Roof's predictions after the football summit). Coach Cutcliffe talked about the great year Michael Tauiliili is having, so good he should be on the All America list.

What a great leap from a series of one win seasons!

willywoody
11-23-2008, 12:37 AM
What a great leap from a series of one win seasons!

agreed! more depth and this team would be bowl bound. keep up the good work guys.

6th Man
11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I was able to attend the game. No doubt in my mind if Thad Lewis played we would have won that ballgame. Duke was great on D and Va. Tech was terrible on offense. I have seen a lot of criticism of Coach Cut's plan. I have to disagree with the negativity. We still had a chance at the end of the ballgame. When Zack threw the ball he threw to the other team 2 more times than our own guys. Why would anyone argue that he should have thrown the ball more???? Strangely enough I came away feeling OK. We lost this game because we had no option at QB. That will change next season. Please though.....PLEASE someone tell me Thad will be back for UNC. He has all offseason to get better!!!!

jv001
11-23-2008, 01:38 AM
It was evident by the play calling in this game that the coaches knew Zacks limitations and did not want him to lose the game with his arm. Well VT figured out that he could not throw the football. What I don't don't understand is how we ended up with Zack as backup QB if the coaches knew he was this bad. Like some of you I hope Zack can switch to WR next year, because he in not a Div 1 QB. Go Duke!

heyman25
11-23-2008, 05:40 AM
It is too bad the offense can't execute. The defense was outstanding but they are going to get worn out by Carolina if the offense can not get make a few 1st downs much less put any points on the board.

johnb
11-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I have nothing to add, though if I thought it painful to watch our offense, I wonder what Coach Cutcliffe must have been thinking.

The announcers were, I thought, kind to Zack, particularly during the first half. Surely he can throw a 5 or 10 yard pass with some accuracy--he did get recruited as a qb--but he sure didn't show it in the game. Where's ol' FDA to defend his guy? Having said that, Zack was quite gutsy and athletic--few of us would have liked to run over and over into the center of the field, where he knew he was going to get crunched by the Tech linebackers, and I bet he's a bruised young man this morning.

I turned from our game to the OU-Texas Tech game (a Saturday well spent), and, suddenly, offensive football transformed like Kansas to Oz, multicolored and beautiful, though I might not have felt that way if I hadn't grown up an ardent OU football fan (paving the way for my Duke basketball addiction).

Just to underline what others have said: our defense looked terrific. Athletic, sturdy, fearless. While we haven't been racking up the conference wins, I'm confident that the other ACC teams have developed a respect for Duke that they haven't had for many years.

formerdukeathlete
11-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I have nothing to add, though if I thought it painful to watch our offense, I wonder what Coach Cutcliffe must have been thinking.

The announcers were, I thought, kind to Zack, particularly during the first half. Surely he can throw a 5 or 10 yard pass with some accuracy--he did get recruited as a qb--but he sure didn't show it in the game. Where's ol' FDA to defend his guy? Having said that, Zack was quite gutsy and athletic--few of us would have liked to run over and over into the center of the field, where he knew he was going to get crunched by the Tech linebackers, and I bet he's a bruised young man this morning.

reading some of the posts on other message boards by guys who played Football for Duke...a few things seem to resonate:

Asack can throw a nice 5 or 10 yard pass...that pass to Huffman for 5 yards was right on the money...

the gameplan was horrendous...24 qb keepers........many more short routes were warranted...option pass plays.....

Asack looked a lot better as a freshman - won freshman all american honorable mention, and outplayed last spring and in about half of fall camp....this suggests a problem with playcalling, gameplan.

Virtually all of us like Cut, but Saturday's game was not well-called offensively.

CameronBornAndBred
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Asack can throw a nice 5 or 10 yard pass...that pass to Huffman for 5 yards was right on the money....
That pass was only one of two he completed, on a third down play. Unfortunately we needed 8 yards to get the first down. And I agree on the gameplan. Asack at least tried to do what was asked of him. The coaching was horrible.

Scorp4me
11-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Sometimes it's just better to admit you're wrong :confused:

pbc2
11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree with others here. I felt like the coaching staff did not even give this team a chance to win the game. We didn't even attempt a simple screen pass to try and get Eron or our other playmakers the ball.

Asack was not put in a position to succeed. The playcalling showed that the coaches had no confidence in his ability. When he was finally called on to make a throw late in the game, he did what was expected - he failed.

This was an especially disappointing loss, given that they had a week to prepare the offense and the defense deserved to win.

hughgs
11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Asack was not put in a position to succeed. The playcalling showed that the coaches had no confidence in his ability. When he was finally called on to make a throw late in the game, he did what was expected - he failed.

I don't understand this logic. When the coach's asked Asack to throw he performed in a sub-standard manner, but because he was expected to fail (as evidenced by the play-calling) then Asack's failure is the coach's fault?

How would the coaching staff put Asack in a position to succeed? Ask him to throw more? Do you think the statistics from the game support that argument? If not, then don't you think that the coaching staff has seen more passes thrown by Asack during non-pressure situations and would be a better evaluator of his ability to perform?

How about a more straightforward explanation? Asack is not capable, at this time, to consistently throw the type of passes required of an ACC level quarterback?