PDA

View Full Version : Why Heroes sucks

JasonEvans
11-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Tim Kring says it is just too hard (http://www.syfyportal.com/news425586.html) to have a drama that knows where it is going. He wants to get away from long-term storylines and have more self-contained episodes. He says his show is the opposite of Lost.

Kring doesn't have an overall plan for the show, and there's no endgame that he's trying to reach.

"We didn't have an island to get off," he said.

I have 4 or 5 episodes stored up on my DVR since I "gave up" on the show. I may watch them just to enjoy the train wreck that this show has become. Frankly, there is little other stuff on TV worth a damn right now (aside from comedies like HIMYM, Office, 30 Rock, and BBT). While I wait for 24 and Lost to come back, I am considering catching up on Heroes.

--Jason "Heroes has hit a ratings low (http://www.syfyportal.com/news425587.html)" Evans

Cavlaw
11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Tim Kring says it is just too hard (http://www.syfyportal.com/news425586.html) to have a drama that knows where it is going. He wants to get away from long-term storylines and have more self-contained episodes. He says his show is the opposite of Lost.

I have 4 or 5 episodes stored up on my DVR since I "gave up" on the show. I may watch them just to enjoy the train wreck that this show has become. Frankly, there is little other stuff on TV worth a damn right now (aside from comedies like HIMYM, Office, 30 Rock, and BBT). While I wait for 24 and Lost to come back, I am considering catching up on Heroes.

--Jason "Heroes has hit a ratings low (http://www.syfyportal.com/news425587.html)" Evans
Wow. Glad I never got into this show.

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can get so much money to produce a show or a movie by pitching a "concept", with no eartly idea how the story is supposed to develop.

Writers get rejection letters from real publishers if they can't put together a compelling plot the actually takes the reader somewhere. Apparently they should be sending their manuscripts to NBC, instead.

riverside6
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
This season has been really bad.

It take a lot for me to abandon a show (I watched Studio 60 until the end), and I'm done with Heroes now.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I actually thought the last episode was better than the first few this season. Not that that is saying much.

YmoBeThere
11-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I like 3 of the 4 comedies that you listed. Haven't been able to get into 30 Rock.

JasonEvans
11-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I like 3 of the 4 comedies that you listed. Haven't been able to get into 30 Rock.

I think it is a bit more frantic and fast paced comedy than the others. Still, I strongly suggest checking it out. It reminds me a great deal of Arrested Development in that it has some truly insane characters on it but it is the main character, who is supposed to be the one who is really grounded, who seems to get in the most "trouble."

--Jason "I will post more in the recent 30 Rock thread..." Evans

EarlJam
11-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Man, when I first saw the title of this thread, I honestly thought it read, "Why Horses suck."

And I was like, "Man, why is Jason hating on horses?"

Then I looked closer and saw that it was "Heroes."

I then thought, "Wow, I'm really glad Jason doesn't hate horses."

Horses are cool.

-EarlJam

ForeverBlowingBubbles
11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
californiacation has become very interesting as of late.

Exiled_Devil
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM

That's all that's needed to be said.

I'm going to say that Kring just wussed out. The first season had potential, but then became a bad comic impression at the end. By now, it isn't even up to the standard of bad comic book. Evidently, Kring feels that both internal consistency and plots are overrated. This show is doomed. All of the non-serial series that last rely on strong characters that evolve over time. This isn't the 70's anymore. We expect characters to be complex and stories form last season to matter. Heck, HIMYM has more internal consistency than heroes, and its a sitcom.

I just hope that they finish it off boldly - lots of characters dying and maybe some world destruction..

JasonEvans
11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I just hope that they finish it off boldly - lots of characters dying and maybe some world destruction..

Ummm, who cares if the characters die? They have brought at least a half dozen characters back from the dead in the past year or so. Death means nothing on this show.

--Jason "when Ali Larter's triplet showed up at the start of this season, that may have been my final straw on the show" Evans

YmoBeThere
12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Back to Heroes, the whole Arthur Petrelli has every power and strips everyone of their's storyline is getting very old. But I may be the only one still watching this show.

Haven't gotten to 30 Rock yet.

JasonEvans
12-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Back to Heroes, the whole Arthur Petrelli has every power and strips everyone of their's storyline is getting very old. But I may be the only one still watching this show.

It still sits on my DVR... calling to me. I have a bad feeling I am going to watch it again over the Xmas break.

--Jason "I won't watch to enjoy it, but to mock it"

El_Diablo
12-15-2008, 08:24 AM
It still sits on my DVR... calling to me. I have a bad feeling I am going to watch it again over the Xmas break.

--Jason "I won't watch to enjoy it, but to mock it"

You could rent Mad Men if you haven't seen it already. It's not mentioned that much, but it's quite good.

JasonEvans
12-15-2008, 12:11 PM
You could rent Mad Men if you haven't seen it already. It's not mentioned that much, but it's quite good.

I just got the entire series of The Wire. I may pick that up over the holidays.

--Jason "everyone raves about Mad Men... I'll pick it up at some point" Evans

elvis14
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
It's just sad the path this show has taken. I'm also fed up with the Arthur Patreli character. I feel like I watch it not because it's good but because I foolishly hope they'll get it back to what it could have been. Hmmmm...who's the idiot here? :D

I have recently started to DVR and watch "30 Rock" it's fun stuff I'm glad I started catching it.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I just got the entire series of The Wire. I may pick that up over the holidays.

--Jason "everyone raves about Mad Men... I'll pick it up at some point" Evans

Aw man, if you havn't seen The Wire, your in for a treat.

YmoBeThere
12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I didn't see the end of last week's episode...my DVR cut it off for some reason. I did see Arthur get shot. Sylar is getting a little powerful also, IMHO.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2008, 09:47 AM
I didn't see the end of last week's episode...my DVR cut it off for some reason. I did see Arthur get shot. Sylar is getting a little powerful also, IMHO.

My DVR missed the very end also. NBC must have been running late last week. But I watched it last night just before last night's episode started, so I don't think we missed anything important that I could tell.

I liked the last two episodes. Maybe because stuff happened and they wrapped up the story lines at the end of the "chapter". They certainly killed off a lot of characters.

Interesting power that Ando has now. Hiro doesn't have any now, right? Or do you think they might just be diminished/suppressed, just the thing that Ando can help him with?

YmoBeThere
02-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Am I the only one still watching the show? Do my NBC/GE loyalties keep me watching something beyond its useful life?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Am I the only one still watching the show? Do my NBC/GE loyalties keep me watching something beyond its useful life?
I'm watching. Sort of enjoyed last week's show, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

YmoBeThere
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I definitely think it has gotten better with the elder Petrelli out of the way...

JulesInLA
02-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Just watched this week's episode on TiVo and was amused to see our local 'hood represented!

[This is a fun hobby when you live in LA!]

When Claire rescues Alex from the comic book store -- the store fronts, baseball field (renamed in the scene) and ocean boulevard are all very close to us.

As they rush out of the comic book store, you can see "The Shack" which is an actual local burger joint where we picked up the kids after cross country practice after beach runs during junior high.

The ball field, which they drive past, is actually our local Little League's "Del Rey Field" where my two boys played for years. Did a lot of snack stand duty there too! It's just across the street from the sand dunes and could get quite chilly when the winds came in over the ocean during the early evening.

Pretty cool place to place baseball!

YmoBeThere
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
This week's episode is still sitting on my DVR, but I will take note of what you have mentioned above.

Highlander
02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm still watching. This season is definitely much, much better than last season. It wouldn't be Heroes without serious plot holes, like "Let's just forget about the whole eclipse, angle, accept that Peter does have powers now, but Hiro does not, and that Micah and all the kids with powers just disappeared.

The formula is pretty similar to the first season now, which is secret group tracking/bagging/tagging Heroes, although this time the Heroes are a lot more organized and are starting to fight back. The scenes with Sylar are pretty effective, as he's become a definite bad a**, and is essentially indestructable.

I liked the ending to this past week's episode. Slight Spoilers below:

That being said, I heard a rumor that next week we find out that another US City is going to be destroyed in the future. I really hope that isn't true, b/c they've already done that angle twice now.

I'm also interested to see what will happen to Nathan once mercenary dude figures out that he's got powers just like everyone he's trying to lock up.

Oh, and if Marvel isn't getting some serious royalties in all of this, something is very wrong. Peter=Rogue, Claire=Wolverine, Twin#2=Iceman, young kid=Pyro, Parkman=Professor X, Nathan=Stryker. Now new kid is Aquaman, so at least they've moved on to start ripping off DC charaters now.