PDA

View Full Version : JJ et al., 2007

DukieUGA
03-31-2007, 01:56 PM
I was slightly miffed by some dude who posted on DBR a while ago chiding us/JJ about JJ's apparent "under-production" asking if JJ had even scored this year. Well, at the begining of the year JJ didn't do much, injuries and all held him back in pre-season etc (much like Paulus, more later) but lately JJ has become an integral part of the Magic rotation as they are shaping up to be a playoff team. He has seen his shooting %s in all categories rise lately, as he started off quite slowly, as has his scoring. But the nice nugget for JJ has been that he has also produced well (for a dude who was chided for having "little athleticism") in assists, rebounds and steals as well as a positive Asst/TO ratio. I'll admit that he is not setting the NBA on fire with any of his stats but even the greatest of JJ haters has to admit now that he is at least playing well as a reserve off the bench.
Shelden Williams, is kinda the opposite story. He started off quite well, at least better than his detractors expected. He got lots of PT when Marvin Williams was out and produced quite well. Lately though, he's tapered off quite a bit, mostly due to reduced PT.
Daniel Ewing out there in LA has been getting more PT lately too, and has been playing well as a back-up PG/SG. He still doesn't score much but he has become a decent passer and has sported a nice Assst/TO ratio lately. I hope he's able to hang around the NBA, more so than W. Avery.
Back to Paulus, i think it's a very interesting parallel that both started hurt, worked hard to get back and (in Paulus's case) making an immensely important contribution to the team. Don't look now, but Paulus posted a FAR BETTER 3pt % this past year than JJ ever did at Duke. I'm not saying that Paulus is as good a shooter as JJ, but if Duke can get opposing teams to focus on other players as well, Greg should be able to put up very impressive shooting and scoring #s next year. The new info that came out, which was assumed by several posters over the season, that Greg's foot never "fully" healed and that he had surgery to correct it may be hopeful sign that Greg might make major strides in regaining some athleticism and quickness. I think Greg will surprise lots of people next year.