PDA

View Full Version : UCLA vs. Michigan

taiw93
11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Who are you guys rooting for? I, for one, am rooting my behind off for UCLA, since we play Michigan in a few weeks anyway, and, having been lucky enough to score tix, I would love to see the "sexier" matchup of two top-10 teams. Thoughts?

WojoSay?
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
UCLA hands down!

FireOgilvie
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm rooting for as many close-ups of the UCLA cheerleaders as possible. Wow.

I really dislike both teams.

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Manny Harris is an amazing player. Where did he come from? Never heard of him till this season.

CameronCrazy'11
11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
UCLA, but it would be awesome if Michigan pulled off the upset.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm rooting for overtime.

FireOgilvie
11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
We're going to have our hands full between Collison and Holiday. They're both lightning quick.

ugadevil
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
UCLA. As a college basketball fan, it's always fun to see two heavyweights go at it.

WojoSay?
11-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm rooting for overtime.

Nice!

taiw93
11-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Whoa! Just checked the score and UCLA is winning by only one point (20-19). This could mean that either a) we have a potential upset on our hands or b) UCLA's playing almost as bad of a first have as we did.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Whoa! Just checked the score and UCLA is winning by only one point (20-19). This could mean that either a) we have a potential upset on our hands or b) UCLA's playing almost as bad of a first have as we did.

Their offense has been anemic in all of their games this season, but their Defense has been stellar.

taiw93
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Their offense has been anemic in all of their games this season, but their Defense has been stellar.

Hmmm....sounds a bit like us (with the exeption of the second half tonight, of course). ;)

jacone21
11-20-2008, 10:42 PM
It's really cool to see two teams wearing nice, traditional, men's basketball uniforms.

Cell-R
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
To be honest, I don't care that much who wins.

If UCLA wins, we have a great chance to upset a top 10 team, and make a name for this Duke team.

If Michigan wins, it might be another hard fought game, most likely easier than against UCLA but it will give us another game to get our offense working.

Acymetric
11-20-2008, 11:19 PM
So why are the lower seeds wearing whites in this tournament? Its a big deal or anything, just curious.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm seeing the score as Michigan up with 2 minutes left.. is that right???

Come on UCLA

CameronCrazy'11
11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
yup. by 3 actually, and michigan may or may not stil have the ball.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 11:32 PM
uh oh...

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Cameron Square Garden crowd is pulling for the upset.

Acymetric
There is a part of me that would almost rather play Michigan, even though we would play them again soon. Teams that play above expectations are the teams that we've had trouble with in March, so I like playing them now too. We'll play top tier teams later in the season. As a side note, I'm not even remotely convinced that was a foul on Michigan at the 56 second mark. Almost thought it was a foul on UCLA...

Exiled_Devil
56 seconds...Michigan 51 UCLA 49

So, how do beat the 1-3-1?

CameronCrazy'11
11-20-2008, 11:36 PM
now up by four with the ball, 14 seconds. #4 in the country my (posterior)

jacone21
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
We need to work on beating the 1-3-1. Wow!

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 11:38 PM
This stinks... I wanted Duke to be the team to expose them. Crud.

Acymetric
11-20-2008, 11:39 PM
We need to work on beating the 1-3-1. Wow!

I have almost no knowledge of zone defenses, would a 1-3-1 be effective against our style of play? Is that something Michigan has been doing this year, or is it a specific gameplan for UCLA?

loran16
11-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I have almost no knowledge of zone defenses, would a 1-3-1 be effective against our style of play? Is that something Michigan has been doing this year, or is it a specific gameplan for UCLA?

It's something Belein, Michigan's coach does throughout his career.

So it's not just for UCLA.

And honestly, i think it'd be terrible against us. it basically has one guy address the point guard, but anyone else is basically gonna be open for 3.

Also the diamond like formation allows people to drive down the middle, which i think gerald and singler can exploit. It might hurt us passing to a big man inside.....but we don't excel there anyhow.

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
This stinks... I wanted Duke to be the team to expose them. Crud.
They were already exposed before tonight. They barely got past Miami of Ohio.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
This is lame... when was the last time we had two games against a non-con team in the same year... 2001 Temple?

jacone21
11-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Generally, you beat the 1-3-1 by exploiting that guy on the base line and attacking down low. Sounds pretty good for Singler to get in those weak side openings and attack the rim. I'm sure at least 3 Duke coaches are working on a strategy as I type.

Cameron
11-20-2008, 11:51 PM
This is lame... when was the last time we had two games against a non-con team in the same year... 2001 Temple?

Yes, I think so.

I believe we won our first matchup with the Owls like 63-61 or something very close, and then blew the doors off Chaney's club in game number two.

Here's to the latter both times against the Wolverines. (And I have tickets to game number two in Ann Arbor!)

juise
11-21-2008, 02:31 AM
So, how do beat the 1-3-1?

Coach Rudy can walk you through it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5TtaqpJ9w)

Something that may actually be helpful. (http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2008/11/michigans-1-3-1-zone-what-it-looks-like.html)

The Wolverine perspective. (http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/1-3-1-zone.html)

juise
11-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Yes, I think so.

I believe we won our first matchup with the Owls like 63-61 or something very close, and then blew the doors off Chaney's club in game number two.

Here's to the latter both times against the Wolverines. (And I have tickets to game number two in Ann Arbor!)

Good memory. The first was the Preseason NIT final at MSG. The second was a 93-68 whooping in Philly.

throatybeard
11-21-2008, 03:06 AM
We also got a third game versus Georgia Tech in an oddly-nonconference fashion in 1994-95 in...was it Hawaii? So 13-18 that year and two wins in three games versus GT. Nonconference win, loss at ATL, win in Durham.

brumby041
11-21-2008, 08:30 AM

To add to others' points on the 1-3-1: this is a trapping defense that requires HIGH energy. If you don't trap out of it, the lone man down low will get killed because the baseline will be wide open on one side. When you get tired, the traps come late, and the D falls apart. I'm wondering if back-to-back games will affect the energy level of the defense and lead to a) Duke blowout or b) M having to play a defense that is not their preferred one.

wilson
11-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Anybody else a little disappointed by Michigan's W last night?
Generally speaking, I don't mind Michigan's program, so I suppose it's good to see them perhaps getting back on track (not getting "untracked";)). But I was actually really looking forward to seeing how we'd stack up against a team like UCLA, even if they haven't yet looked as good as advertised.
As for Michigan, our two-game series with them suddenly looks really interesting, with potentially yet another really good test thrown into our non-conference docket. When I initially saw Michigan on the sked, I regarded them as essentially the same relative lightweight they've been throughout most of the '00s. Now things are different, though. Last night's win serves a bit of notice for potential progress, and there's also this: While I'm of course rooting for us to bring it home tonight, but you can bet a W in the Garden would make the Dec. 6 trip to Ann Arbor none too friendly.

On a related note, we will play Michigan twice this season, but N.C. State only once (potential ACC Tourney matchups notwithstanding). That should be illegal.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Anybody else a little disappointed by Michigan's W last night?
Generally speaking, I don't mind Michigan's program, so I suppose it's good to see them perhaps getting back on track (not getting "untracked";)). But I was actually really looking forward to seeing how we'd stack up against a team like UCLA, even if they haven't yet looked as good as advertised.
As I said in another thread, we will be facing the better team. Michigan will be a very good test for us, even though they aren't ranked (but soon will be).

wilson
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
As I said in another thread, we will be facing the better team. Michigan will be a very good test for us, even though they aren't ranked (but soon will be).

Last night, yes, Michigan was the better team (although that was one ugly game). But over the course of the season, I believe UCLA will prove to be clearly the stronger team. That's mainly what I meant.

Diddy
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
And I say that with no acrimony towards UCLA. They were given the benefit of the doubt based on the talent present combined with the recent success of the coach. But they are a young, inexperienced team that suffered devastating personell losses.

Maybe Gary was right to question why they didn't drop after their own recent close call.

Heck, even Dickie V questioned their ranking, and he never does that. UCLA has holes in the middle, and the are really dependant on young players from a class that was weak, nationally.

There are so few elite teams this year that it is scary.

Olympic Fan
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Too bad Duke doesn't get to test itself against a top 10 team (even a bogus one such as UCLA), but two games in two weeks against Michigan -- the latter on their home floor -- will be a good test.

If you want a legit test against a top 10 team just wait until December 2 -- Duke at Purdue in the ACC-Big Ten challenge. Unlike the Bruins, the Boilermakers deserve their ranking.

PS Duke may or may not have offensive trouble against the Wolverines, just because Duke's offense is pretty erratic at this point in the season. But if the Devils struggle, it won't be because of the 1-3-1 zone.