PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match v. SIU

Cavlaw
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Who was the Man of the Match against SIU?

CameronCrazy'11
11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Brian Zoubek, for keeping us in the game in the first half. Henderson was probably a better player, but Zoubek really stepped it up.

Acymetric
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Who was the Man of the Match against SIU?

Where's my poll? I'm going to give it to Z, though G could make a good case too.

mapei
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Hmmmm, I don't see the poll. I'm casting a virtual vote for Gerald, with big props to Zoubs in the first half and Singler in the second.

pamtar
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I almost voted for Nolan because of the dunk but Z earned it...

dukestheheat
G man wins it, but mighty proud of Zoubek. By far, this was his best game in his career at Duke!

dth.

Cicero
Who voted for "Gerlad Henderson"--we don't even have a player with that name!

loran16
Voted for zoo. He kept us in the game, and then the other guys took over when SIU basically fouled out.

dyedwab
11-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Zoubek kept us in the game in the first half with good D, good rebounding, and clutch FT shooting

Cavlaw
Sorry, the poll took me a minute to add, as I was just typing in the whole roster. I got the first 12 guys in and then it wouldn't let me add any more options, so I had to rearrange things.

throatybeard
Robert Montgomery Knight.

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Zoubek got my vote. Henderson had the points for a MOTM game, but they were all in the second half and I'm looking at the whole picture. Zoubs had the most complete game of everyone for the span of both halves. I hope this was the start of a great season for him.

Cavlaw
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Who voted for "Gerlad Henderson"--we don't even have a player with that name!
My bad. I was flustered by the most intense defense I've ever faced, and made a typo. Fixed now, hopefully the only one.

wallyman
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
voted for him thinking gerald would be the people's choice. was pleasantly surprised to see so much love for Z. Definitely his best game. A great sign.:)

Wander
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Beat me to it, throaty.

Not a MOTM, by a shout out to Lance for going 6-6 on free throws.

JDev
11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Voted for G just because of my glee in seeing his 2008 breakout performance. Zoubek kept us in control in the first half though. Coach K also deserves some kind of kudos for getting Duke to value the ball in the second half and basically look like a completely different team.

mgtr
11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Always happy to see other players step up and filll the void. You could spread the honors around a good bit tonight. Singler of course, but happy to see G and Zoubs have great nights. I voted for G, but that is because I had to choose just one. And, yes, Singler is iron.

dukebluelemur
11-20-2008, 09:41 PM
My bad. I was flustered by the most intense defense I've ever faced, and made a typo. Fixed now, hopefully the only one.

Touch of the saluki hangover there?

wilson
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I voted for Gerald, because in tonight's second half, he was the closest to unstoppable as anyone has been for us this season. Obviously, Zoobs gets a piece of my vote too. Boy, did he play with confidence and assertion (though he was clearly better in the first half). Performances like that from him will always be good omens with regard to our overall performance. Hope he's feeling great about a career night tonight, and ready to do that again!

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
G. Amazing 2nd half where he demonstarted his improved range, and some vintage G with the posterization!

DukeDevilDeb
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
G. Amazing 2nd half where he demonstarted his improved range, and some vintage G with the posterization!

Admittedly, without Gerald's second half performance, we don't win the game. But that kind of play is exactly what we have come to expect from him and it has been missing earlier in the season.

My vote is for Zoubek who so far exceeded my expectations that I was ready to call Obama and ask him to appoint Zoubek as ambassador of basketball! :D
He moved well; he was agressive without fouling out in the first three minutes; his free throw shooting was superb; and his defense was positive. We aren't still IN the game for Gerald to save without Zoubs' performance in the first half. He seemed to be the only player who showed up to play!

Never thought I would say it, but Zoubek was the man tonight!

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chapel Where?:p

jipops
11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Going with Gerald but major props to Zoubs. Let's not forget that guys like Scheyer and Singler setup Gerald quite well for those wide open 3's.

Singler also had an excellent 2nd half and though he didn't shoot well overall, he led in boards and assists.

Scheyer was excellent as always going 4-8 with 6 boards. Loved that beautiful turnaround midrange fade-away he had in the 2nd.

Saratoga2
11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
How often will we be able to for him. Of course Henderson had a great secoond half, but my sentimental vote goes to big Z.

Dukiedevil
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
voted for Gerald, but could have easily gone with Zoubs... Wish I could split the vote.

DukeUsul
11-20-2008, 10:15 PM
How often will we be able to for him. Of course Henderson had a great secoond half, but my sentimental vote goes to big Z.

Hopefully a lot more. :D

ACCBBallFan
11-20-2008, 10:21 PM
As others have said if it were relative to expectations, Zoubek, but overall Gerald. As I try to facottr all the stats from cbssportsline.com since ESPN did not have them all:

Rating Player
74 Gerald Henderson, G-F
70 Jon Scheyer, G
68 Kevin Dillard, G
62 Kyle Singler, F
59 Carlton Fay, F
58 Brian Zoubek, C
52 TOTALS-Duke
45 Lance Thomas, F
43 Nolan Smith, G
40 TOTALS-SIU
40 Nick Evans, C
38 Elliot Williams, G
34 Ryan Hare, G
34 Bryan Mullins, G
24 Wesley Clemmons, G
23 Tony Boyle, F
21 Justin Bocot, G
21 Greg Paulus, G
15 Christian Cornelius, G
14 Martynas Pocius, G
10 David McClure, F
5 Miles Plumlee, F
2 Anthony Booker, F
1 Olek Czyz, F

wisteria
11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Zoubs, without whom we'd been done by the halftime.

Cicero
11-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I voted for Zoubek because I think his contribution was more important to helping the team win tonight. Without him keeping us competitive in the first half (points and rebounds), who knows if G would ever have gotten the opportunity to explode in the second half once we were pulling away. In other words, I think that Z's contributions came at a more crucial time in the game.

At the same time, I'm excited that G finally looked assertive, and I really loved the exchange where he stepped across the lane to take the charge, then came down to the other end and threw down a thunderous jam. Good stuff, and I hope tonight's success helps him relax and play well.

rsvman
11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Zoubs was the man!

greybeard
11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Zoubs made great catches, got their two bigs in foul troubles, played smart and effectively, and scored the ball from the field and the line. Without him, they maybe don't win. POFG.

weezie
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Going with Gerald but major props to Zoubs. Let's not forget that guys like Scheyer and Singler setup Gerald quite well for those wide open 3's.

Singler also had an excellent 2nd half and though he didn't shoot well overall, he led in boards and assists.

Scheyer was excellent as always going 4-8 with 6 boards. Loved that beautiful turnaround midrange fade-away he had in the 2nd.

Scheyer played pretty good defense tonight, too. Interesting to see the Salukis
drape themselves on him. He responded well.

Edouble
11-21-2008, 01:23 AM
I voted for Zoubek because I think his contribution was more important to helping the team win tonight. Without him keeping us competitive in the first half (points and rebounds), who knows if G would ever have gotten the opportunity to explode in the second half once we were pulling away. In other words, I think that Z's contributions came at a more crucial time in the game.

At the same time, I'm excited that G finally looked assertive, and I really loved the exchange where he stepped across the lane to take the charge, then came down to the other end and threw down a thunderous jam. Good stuff, and I hope tonight's success helps him relax and play well.

Ditto. Z kept us in the game in the first half when we threw the ball away a few too many times. Kyle had an easier time getting the ball down low in the second half because Zoubs had earned the Salukis repsect. G hit some great 3s, but he's still not showing enough of his attacking ability for me to give him my vote.

Big props to the team for earning it at the line!

dukemomLA
11-21-2008, 01:31 AM
I voted for Lance to give him some well deserved love at improving his FT shooting! Yikes! Very cool. (And for that matter for the whole team). If they keep that up it will be HUGE as the season progresses.

My other vote would be for ZOUB!!! Stepping up big time and gaining more confidence and skills with each game. ....looks like an interesting season ahead. I LIKE that there have been struggles so far. I think it bodes well for March.

My hope is the Coach K will learn from his Olympic experience and play a 10-12 player rotation. He's got the talent to do that. Fingers crossed. I know that's not been his normal.... but this is the year to switch things around.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-21-2008, 01:54 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZoubek!

juise
11-21-2008, 02:02 AM
I voted for Zoubek because I think his contribution was more important to helping the team win tonight. Without him keeping us competitive in the first half (points and rebounds)...

My thoughts exactly.

bluedev_92
11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Zoubek - great poise, freethrow shooting, rebounding. Was very happy for him. He kept us in the game.

elvis14
11-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I voted for Z, he didn't just play well in the first half, he actually dominated in the paint. Z dominated....wow how cool is that? G, Jon, Kyle were great as well but Z was THE MAN last night.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Glad to see Zoubek pulling away on this one. Henderson had a great second half, and I hope he's ready to explode for the rest of the season. But Z carried us when everyone was struggling and played perhaps the best stretch of basketball I have seen from him -- and on a major stage no less.

Go get 'em, Z. We need you.

jv001
11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I voted for Zoubs because he kept us in the game in the first half. Gerald played an excellent 2nd half and that was great to see. Kyle Singler is one tough player. Kind of reminds me of Nate in his playing days. Jon is an underrated player. He is probably the best off the ball defender on the team and his on the ball defense is not bad either. He can put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket with the best of them. He is the glue to this team. Go Duke!

Jeffrey
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi,

Jon Scheyer earned my vote because he played at a consistently high level throughout the majority of the game and was the key factor (speaking players, not coaches) in stabilizing a very inconsistent team. Brian had a great first half and Gerald had a great second half, but this is a 40 minute game.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

PumpkinFunk
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Zoubek or Scheyer would have to be the two, because they kept us in. But overall, Zoubek exceeded expectations and did what we need him to do every game from here on out. So he gets it.