PDA

View Full Version : The Jimmy Baron Award

fidel
11-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I have been thinking about what a performance this kid put on in this game.

It would be interesting to note who had the best game against Duke, at Duke, in any given year. Who stepped up to the crazies, played his heart out, and gave us everything he had.

Quite a feat.

Indoor66
11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
i have been thinking about what a performance this kid put on in this game.

It would be interesting to note who had the best game against duke, at duke, in any given year. Who stepped up to the crazies, played his heart out, and gave us everything he had.

Quite a feat.

Bootsy

Cicero
11-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Bootsy Thornton is the name that comes to mind first (St. John's game in 2000). I believe that was Duke's most recent nonconference home loss, too...

91devil
11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I have been thinking about what a performance this kid put on in this game.

It would be interesting to note who had the best game against Duke, at Duke, in any given year. Who stepped up to the crazies, played his heart out, and gave us everything he had.

Quite a feat.
Two words - Bootsy. Thornton.

I also recall the Cameron crowd collectively holding its breath every time Dennis Scott touched the ball in front court.

91_92_01_10_15
11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
1/25/1986

Player Min FG-FGA FT-FTA Pts

Bias * 39 14-20 13-13 41

roywhite
11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Bootsy Thornton is the name that comes to mind first (St. John's game in 2000). I believe that was Duke's most recent nonconference home loss, too...

Marvis Linwood Thornton III, aka Bootsy, was not a 1-game wonder against the Devils; he was a 2-game wonder.

He had 40 points and 12 rebounds in a narrow Duke win at MSG In 1999, and then 22 points/ 11 reb/ 6 ast in a St. Johns win at Cameron in 2000.

He is currently playing pro ball in Turkey.

...in the interest of full disclosure, that information is more from research than recall :)

trinity92
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Maryland's Walt Williams scored 39 points at Cameron on Jan. 22, 1992. I loved the way he wore his socks!

MChambers
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Walter Berry went off against Duke in a game in the 80s, but it may not have been in Cameron.

Edouble
11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I remember Mike Miller carrying Florida in 1998 in Cameron.

Rip Hamilton comes to mind as well, although that was not in Cameron.

Bootsy certainly had more points than either of those efforts, albeit his performance was not in Cameron either.

roywhite
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Walter Berry went off against Duke in a game in the 80s, but it may not have been in Cameron.

Also in MSG, in early season NIT in 1985. Yikes, along with Berry and Bootsy now I'm thinking of DeJuan Blair and the Pitt guys that played well against Duke in MSG last year. Hope that's not a bad omen for tonight and Friday. :(

JDev
11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Bootsy tops the list, especially because it ended in a rare non-conference home loss. I also remember Sean BigMac May had multiple 20 and 20 games against Duke, which is impressive. They all, however, did not end in Duke losses.

DukeDude
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd like to nominate Rodney Rogers for this award. Sadly, his heroic effort carried Wake to victory.

1993 Wake @ Duke (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19930213)

Devildog
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
"Maryland's Walt Williams scored 39 points at Cameron on Jan. 22, 1992. I loved the way he wore his socks! "

Then he went to the Hideaway with the home team and knocked back a few!

Gooch
11-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd like to nominate Rodney Rogers for this award. Sadly, his heroic effort carried Wake to victory.

1993 Wake @ Duke (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19930213)
I seem to recall Randolph Childress as a Duke killer from my days in Cameron (and the '95 ACC Tourney) He always seemed to play better against us than other teams....

wilson
11-20-2008, 02:36 PM

That was my first game ever in Cameron. I was 10. Grant Hill broke his foot and some kid named Chris Collins hit a couple of threes from absurd range to give us a glimmer of hope in the waning minutes.

Edouble
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Bootsy tops the list, especially because it ended in a rare non-conference home loss. I also remember Sean BigMac May had multiple 20 and 20 games against Duke, which is impressive. They all, however, did not end in Duke losses.

We won the game where Bootsy threw down 40.

I guess you guys are talking about the next year when he scored 22 in Cameron.

It's hard for me to think of that performance is being great when he had 40 against a much better team the year before. I'm sure they were both very good efforts though.

Billy Dat
11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Duke v West Virginia
3/22/08
Joe Mazzulla
Non Starter - G
31 minutes, 13 points, 11 rebounds (5 offensive), 8 assists

dukelifer
11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Bias's game in Cameron was a thing to behold- as impressive a performance as I have ever witnessed in person. He could shoot the ball from anywhere and was incredibly explosive. Coach K said in 2003 in “this is my 24th year at Duke and in that time there have been two opposing players who really stood out: Michael Jordan and Len Bias.”

DU Band Prez 88
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
1/25/1986

Player Min FG-FGA FT-FTA Pts

Bias * 39 14-20 13-13 41

Absolutely. Not to mention, this was against Duke's great 37-3 National Finalist/ACC Champion team. Without a doubt the greatest performance by an individual basketball player I have ever seen in person, and I'm sure that there are many, many more people who attended this game who would agree.

Lord Ash
11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Actually, I've been wondering about keeping track of how often a player has a season high or a career high against Duke... I feel like that happens EVERY game against us, and I'd love to keep track of how often it happens.

topps coach
11-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Off topic but please do not send any more JJ tapes to anyone

Cameron
11-20-2008, 06:54 PM
He didn't necessarily put up amazing numbers, but, similarly to Baron, Butler's Darnell Archey hit three or four shots out near the center circle in a game in Cameron back in 2003. I remember one in particular where the Bulldogs, who later went on to reach the NCAAs Sweet 16 as that year's Cinderella, ran the pickett fence out top, hit Archey about four sequences in, and a 35-foot rainbow dropped through the net.

I will never forget that game.

throatybeard
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM

I guess you guys are talking about the next year when he scored 22 in Cameron.

It's hard for me to think of that performance is being great when he had 40 against a much better team the year before. I'm sure they were both very good efforts though.

This is the whole thing. The Bootsy thing has achieved a [mindless] bulletin board cachet that has little to do with reality. Further, Bootsy sort of came out of nowhere as a 40-pt guy in 1999. People on the board screech about Bootsy anytime anyone scores over 20 against us, even if it's the other team's best player and their player most likely to score over 20. Bootsy was not a guy who you'd expect to hang 40 on us. Now a guy who scores 20 a game hangs 26 on us and we're all screeching about Bootsy. It's inane.

Edouble
11-21-2008, 01:14 AM
This is the whole thing. The Bootsy thing has achieved a [mindless] bulletin board cachet that has little to do with reality. Further, Bootsy sort of came out of nowhere as a 40-pt guy in 1999. People on the board screech about Bootsy anytime anyone scores over 20 against us, even if it's the other team's best player and their player most likely to score over 20. Bootsy was not a guy who you'd expect to hang 40 on us. Now a guy who scores 20 a game hangs 26 on us and we're all screeching about Bootsy. It's inane.

It's true that Bootsy's 40 in NYC were very unexpected. That was a great and very weird game where our best players fouled out and we were lucky to win.

From what I've read it sounds like Baron had a hand in his face on a lot of the shots he took and nothing we did could stop them from falling (didn't see the game, no ESPNU). Anyone who shoots 8-10 for three in a half is also doing something very unexpected. Even if JJ did that it would be talked about as a career highlight.

This was not a case of a guy, Baron, just putting in a regular day's work on the court.

billybreen
11-21-2008, 01:34 AM

Don't hate. It's just fun to say Bootsy. I want to see you in snrub as Bootsybeard tomorrow night.

devildeac
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Jack Givens-41 points in the 1978 NCAA Championship game.

Or, you've been "Goosed":(

davekay1971
11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I seem to recall Randolph Childress as a Duke killer from my days in Cameron (and the '95 ACC Tourney) He always seemed to play better against us than other teams....

Randolph also came to play against Carolina. I'll always remember him catching fire in the Dean Dome and almost singlehandledly turning a WFU deficit into a huge lead. A Reggie Miller-vs.-Spike Lee and the Knicks type moment.

The best opposing player performance I saw personally in Cameron was Dennis Scott in his last game there. He'd trimmed down in the offseason, so we threw Twinkies at him in the warmup shootaround. He ate one of the twinkies, dropped some 35 footers in, then came out and scored something like 34 or 36 points on us. Awesome.

jacone21
11-21-2008, 09:22 AM
...screeching about Bootsy. It's inane.

Ahh... The Name Is Bootsy, Baby!
http://www.funky-stuff.com/bootsy/Gallery/bootsy017.jpg

captmojo
11-21-2008, 09:25 AM
ahh... The name is bootsy, baby!
http://www.funky-stuff.com/bootsy/gallery/bootsy017.jpg

yabba dabba baby!

wilson
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
He ate one of the twinkies, dropped some 35 footers in, then came out and scored something like 34 or 36 points on us. Awesome.

I remember that one too. Even though it came from an opponent, I have to say that moment was pretty awesome.