PDA

View Full Version : Wake is HUGE

Olympic Fan
11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
A friend had an extra ticket and invited me to last night's Wake Forest-UNC Wilmington game ... a chance to see a promising young team. I got to see Wake score 120 -- the highest scoring ACC game since last year's Duke opener, when the Devils laid 121 on NCCU.

What struck me about Wake is their size -- they start 7-0, 240 Chas McFarland, 6-9, 245 James Johnson and 6-9, 220 Al-Faouq Aminu up front. They bring 6-11, 240 David Weaver and 6-11, 245 Tony Woods off the bench. Sometimes they play Johnson in the backcourt, giving them four big guys on the floor at one time.

With all that size and muscle, is it any wonder they don't have many minutes for 7-0, 220 Ty Walker? The gossip at Lawrence Joel is that the coaches tried to redshirt him, but he refused -- even though they warned him that he's not going to play much.

In addition, they are scheduled to add 6-8, 250 Jamie Skeen after first semester, although the Joel gossip was that he might transfer.

You guys saw McFarland, Weaver and Johnson last year. Aminu is a stud, although he missed a lot of chippie shots last night. He has the handle to be a small forward and the hops to be a power forward. Last night, he had a double-double and let the team with five assists. Except for the fact that he has no jump shot (or at least didn't show one last night), he's a prototype NBA small forward.

But I expected Aminu to be good. Woods was the big surprise -- he's physically gifted -- a great explosive leaper with quickness and good hands. Moreover he looks like an old-style post player -- a guy anxious to attack the basket in the paint and not trying to play on the perimeter. I absolutely loved his game.

That said, it's too bad for the Deacs that the ACC doesn't allow trades, because if the Deacons could deal a couple of excess big men to Maryland or Boston College for a quality guard, I could see Wake making a Final Four run.

Don't get me wrong, Teague is terrific. Ish Smith should be back in the lineup soon after missing the first few games with an injury.

But while Smith is quick as lightning, he can't shoot and that's what Wake needs more than anything. L.D. Williams, Harvey Hale and Gary Clark are not the answer -- but they are the only guard options Gaudio has.

Defensively, they didn't play especially well against a team that was employing the Loyola-Marymount style. It's not like Wilmington asked Wake to play defense for more than 10 seconds at a stretch ...

I think Wake will be very good this season ... a definite NCAA team. But there will be nights when the lack of perimeter shooting and defensive lapses (although those could be fixed easier than the lack of shooting) will cost the Deacs.

BTW: I think it will be interesting to watch Johnson/Teague this season in comparison with Singler/Nolan Smith. Two very similar forward/guard combinations, who had similar production as freshman (Johnson and Teague actually combined for slightly better numbers than the Duke duo).

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
BTW: I think it will be interesting to watch Johnson/Teague this season in comparison with Singler/Nolan Smith. Two very similar forward/guard combinations, who had similar production as freshman (Johnson and Teague actually combined for slightly better numbers than the Duke duo).

I think Wake has a shot at the Final Four even with the team they have. That said, and I understand you're matching up all sophomores, but if you want to compare duos, wouldn't it be Johnson/Teague against Singler/Scheyer? Nolan will probably be matching up in a Smith cage match with Ish.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I have seen him too. Aminu will be Rookie of the Year in the ACC... take it to the bank.

roywhite
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Wake has a shot at the Final Four even with the team they have. That said, and I understand you're matching up all sophomores, but if you want to compare duos, wouldn't it be Johnson/Teague against Singler/Scheyer? Nolan will probably be matching up in a Smith cage match with Ish.

Wake will be a tough out, but doubt they reach the Final Four or a similar national ranking. Remember, with Ish, you've got a primary ball-handler who shot 29% from the FT line. And Teague is really the only decent outside shooter they have; he shot 39.5% from 3-pt last year and nobody else was near that.

UrinalCake
11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
They couldn't make the final four with TIM DUNCAN due to their lack of guards. I'm not saying it's impossible this year, but highly unlikely. As far as matching up against Duke, their size will be an issue for us but our quickness and perimeter play will be an even bigger issue for them.

gw67
11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Olympic - As I recall, we compared Teague/Johnson with Smith/Singler late last year and concluded that the Wake duo had slightly better freshmen years. What makes it interesting is that they are similar type players. Both Teague and Smith are outstanding offensive players and above average defensive players. The difference as I see it is that Smith is more of an off guard playing the point whereas Teague is a point guard playing the off guard when Ish Smith is available. IMO, Teagus is the superior playmaking guard betweeen the two.

IMO, Johnson's and Singler's freshmen years were comparable. Both are excellent inside-outside players who are tough rebounders. Both are decent defenders although Singler was required to do more last year. Singler was the better passer last year but it appears the Johnson has improved in this area.

Both Teague and Johnson got off the great starts and both are shooting well and averaging over 20 ppg. In addition, Johnson is averaging 9.7 rpg and Teague is averaging 4 apg. I don't expect them to keep this up as the competition improves but both are very good players and it will be interesting how the two sets of sophomores stack up as the season progresses.

gw67

roywhite
11-20-2008, 01:15 PM
gw and Olympic make good points about Wake and their talent level.

I'm skeptical that they have the mindset and maturity to go from being a talented, dangerous team to being a legitimate championship contender. Their victory over Duke last year made their season; yes, it was a great game, but celebrating in February doesn't compare to achievements in March or April.

They'll need steady leadership and coaching to get to the next level. I don't see either as a strong point for Wake, at least not yet. (I live in the W-S area, and follow the team fairly closely).

I could be wrong, but I see them as about 4th in the conference and not making much noise in the post-season.

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
They couldn't make the final four with TIM DUNCAN due to their lack of guards. I'm not saying it's impossible this year, but highly unlikely. As far as matching up against Duke, their size will be an issue for us but our quickness and perimeter play will be an even bigger issue for them.

Wake's guards are certainly an issue, but whatever they lack on the perimeter, it's not quickness. I don't think they'll feel overmatched defending our guards.

I also don't understand why we casually accept that Nolan and Lance can make major improvements to their game over the summer but won't really entertain the notion that guys like Ish Smith might make similar improvement. If Ish Smith has added a little control to his game, cut down on his turnovers, and perhaps seen a shrink about his free throw shooting, he'll be a more than adequate perimeter player for them. He's a career 35% shooter from 3-point land, so it's not like he can't shoot at all.

As far as Tim Duncan is concerned, he had Randolph Childress on his team, who was a pretty good guard. They were a number one seed at least a couple times with Duncan -- they were good enough to make it, they just didn't do it. Also, what does Tim Duncan's success or failure have to do with this year? It's not like this Wake team has anything to do with that one other than the players attend the same school. Besides, I'm not saying Wake will make it this year; I'm saying they're talented enough that they could make it. Just like Duke.

jimsumner
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
"I have seen him too. Aminu will be Rookie of the Year in the ACC... take it to the bank."

Maybe. But take a look at the early returns on Landesberg at UVA. And I suspect Virginia needs him to be a stud more than Wake needs Aminu to be a stud so Landesberg is going to get lots of touches.

Wander
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I could be wrong, but I see them as about 4th in the conference and not making much noise in the post-season.

Who's ahead of them other than UNC and Duke? I think they're a pretty clear-cut third.

roywhite
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Who's ahead of them other than UNC and Duke? I think they're a pretty clear-cut third.

Miami is my early season choice for 3rd.

Diddy
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM

I think that Miami is at least in the discussion with WF, and Duke, for the slots of 2-4. UNC is going to be hard to beat by anyone, but I can see the next three being a game of pick'em.

WFU is good, but they are going to have to have a good game on the road for me to really beleive. And Ish Smith had surgery on his foot, so he may or may not be at full strength soon. Who knows.

Until all these teams begin playing real opponents, nobody knows how this season will shake out. Duke starts playing real teams tonight, and WFU starts next week.

Oh, and I agree about the Frosh at UVA. He is the go to guy, albeit on a horrendous team. He will get numbers. If, and only if, WFU pushes to No. 2 in the Conf, and Aminu puts up solid numbers, he mighte get the rookie of the year. I think the UVA kid gets insano numbers this year.

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Much Respect to the Wake players for staying after Prosser died, and props to Dino.

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
If Zeller was still healthy the Wake-UNC game would be a battle of the bigs and i think the Wake bigs would win. Hansbrough has always had trouble agaisnt athletic big men. I would even say he has been so succesful in the ACC because these four years the ACC has been lacking NBA level big men. Without this lack of quality big men Hansbrough numbers would be much lower, see the Kansas game.

shadowfax336
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
If Zeller was still healthy the Wake-UNC game would be a battle of the bigs and i think the Wake bigs would win. Hansbrough has always had trouble agaisnt athletic big men. I would even say he has been so succesful in the ACC because these four years the ACC has been lacking NBA level big men. Without this lack of quality big men Hansbrough numbers would be much lower, see the Kansas game.

So I initially thought that this post was ridiculous and went to look for the numbers that could disprove it, but after looking there seemed to be some truth here.

The 3 best bigs Hansbrough faced in the regular season last year were (arguably) Patrick Patterson, Kosta Koufos (I did say arguably), and whoever Clemson threw at him.

The argument started out well, 13 points against Kentucky, 14 vs OSU, 12 against Clemson the first time. But he scored 39 in the second Clemson game.... and thats when I remembered that he's just really good.