PDA

View Full Version : Do you root for UNC against non-ACC opponents?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
In the past, I always rooted for UNC when they played non-conference opponents, particularly big games. My position was was I'd rather see a win for the ACC. But I find as the years go by that I have a harder and harder time doing so. Really, I was hoping for a 0-0 tie the other night when they played UK. So, what's your poison?

Teton Jack
11-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd pull for the Russians, with Putin as coach, over UNC. Better Red than Pollution Blue

Teton Jack

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Hell no!! I second cniedringhaus.

roywhite
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes and no. I don't mind the Heels having a very good out-of-conference record, or even being undefeated out-of-conference; it's good for the league. But just in watching an individual game, I'll pull for Carolina's opponent and enjoy it very much if the Heels lose.

I do believe I'd root for UNC vs Connecticut, though.

PSurprise
11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Last time I checked it was Go to Hell, Carolina, not Go to Hell Connecticut. Argh!!

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
In the past, I always rooted for UNC when they played non-conference opponents, particularly big games. My position was was I'd rather see a win for the ACC. But I find as the years go by that I have a harder and harder time doing so. Really, I was hoping for a 0-0 tie the other night when they played UK. So, what's your poison?

I used to try to root for them out of conference but it was always difficult. In 1981 and '82 I actually went down to Chapel Hill to watch their NCAA championship games with the natives in their natural habitat. While I didn't actually root for them, it didn't really bother me in '82 when they won.

The turning point for me came in the 1991 Final Four. Before the game I convinced myself to root for UNC against Kansas because I thought a Duke/UNC final would be the best thing for Duke (I was worried that after the UNLV game Duke might come out flat against Kansas but there was no chance of that happening vs. the Heels).

The game started and I pulled it off for maybe 30 seconds. At which time I realized I just couldn't root for them and started screaming for Kansas. I knew then it was never going to happen. Not in a million, bzillion years.

Wander
11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
This is why I hate all this conference pride garbage (which happens to be reason number 45836745 on what's wrong with the BCS system in college football, but that's another story) .

It's reasonable to some extent, because you want to say Duke beat the best teams, and you want Duke's computer numbers to be as good as possible - and I'm right there with you rooting for Virginia to beat South Florida. But remember:

1. If Duke were to transfer to the Big East tomorrow, 99% of us would instantly switch our conference pride to the Big East, and we'd all be talking about how ridiculously tough the BE is this year.

2. Does it really matter how good the ACC is for us? It matters for Virginia Tech if they're on the bubble with an 8-8 ACC record and Syracuse is also on the bubble with an 8-8 Big East record. For Duke... maybe, maybe, maybe it's the difference between one seeding line. Maybe. Big freakin deal.

Again, I generally take pride in the ACC, but there's a line as to where it becomes unreasonable... and rooting for UNC crosses that line by a mile.

RepoMan
11-20-2008, 10:49 AM
For a Duke fan, I really believe that there is only one answer. You never root for UNC. Never.

hurleyfor3
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Never ever ever ever, and this extends to ALL conference teams except BC (my sister went there). Even if they're playing UConn... go Huskies. Their fans don't root for us, so why should we reciprocate?

Before instituting this policy I rooted for unc on three occasions. They won all three games.

mr. synellinden
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I root for them to get shut out every game.

As others have stated, I don't think there is any other reasonable answer. :rolleyes:

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I root for them to get shut out every game.

I once witnessed them being shut out for a half. I enjoyed it.

Cavlaw
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm in favor of UNC over highly ranked non-conference foes (unless UNC is itself ranked #1). I always cheer for an upset by mid-major against UNC. In conference, ABC. In the tournament, I give heavy support to all ACC schools until the Final Four. I just can't root for UNC to win a championship.

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Never ever ever ever, and this extends to ALL conference teams except BC (my sister went there). Even if they're playing UConn... go Huskies. Their fans don't root for us, so why should we reciprocate?

I disagree with this. I always root against UNC and I occasionally (but not very often) pull for Maryland's opponent, but if they're playing OOC, I pretty much root for every other ACC team. Except I have not yet developed an allegiance toward BC, because to me they're still sort of a Big East team.

And in the NCAA tournament, I root hard for *all* ACC teams except Carolina.

Acymetric
11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm in favor of UNC over highly ranked non-conference foes (unless UNC is itself ranked #1). I always cheer for an upset by mid-major against UNC. In conference, ABC. In the tournament, I give heavy support to all ACC schools until the Final Four. I just can't root for UNC to win a championship.

I follow a similar set of cheering rules, except that I'd like Carolina to lose every tournament game they play. I don't pull for them at all in the tournament.

dukestheheat
11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Nada. Nyet. No.

I do not like the Tarheels and many, many of their holier-than-thou fandom. I still have this vision of this about 80 year old lady in Carmichael waving some type of Carolina doll on a stick to the Tarheels as they trotted out of the locker room to play (somebody...I can't remember the opponent, but all I know is that lady looked catatonic BEFORE the team came out but she looked like she was plugged into the ELECTRICAL SOCKET after they did) and it all went down hill for me right then, waaaay back in the day in the early years of high school.

dth.

PS All that truth spoken, let me say my favorite Carolina player of all time is Hubert Davis; also, I don't want any player, ever, to get hurt and miss time on the floor, for any team.

CameronBornAndBred
Big Fat NO. ABC is my standing rule, always has been always will be.

Ibleedblue87
I would never pull for Carolina under any circumstances. I do not like the fact that their players are getting injured and would never wish that a player would get hurt, but I do not ever want to see them win, even if playing UCONN, RUSSIA, or whoever else.

P.S. Do you think Carolina fans or any other team fans are just sitting at home hoping Duke wins tonight or any night? I don't think so.

wilson
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I would root for Fleetwood Mac against the heels.

hurleyfor3
11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

That's all nice and good, but my solution doesn't require a frigging flowchart. :p I don't even watch unc anymore. This leaves me less-informed, I guess, but I'm not sure ignorance relating to unc basketball is a bad thing. Apparently they have some player who's the second coming of Christ, Tyler Hansjesus or something.

dukestheheat
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
hurleyforthree-

I'm with you in that I don't even watch the holes anymore. Woody always used to sound like to me he was in church singing some spiritual song when he was calling games for the holes. I don't like him, either.

dth.

Frybay
11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Never got that cold!

The Gordog
11-20-2008, 12:01 PM

I pretty much don't watch enough non-Duke basketball for this to be significant, so I am taking a very loose interpretation of the word "root" (I picked the third box.) I look at the paper the next day, and if Carolina won I say "good for the ACC" and move on. If they lost I say, "boo-hoo tar-holes" and grin. If that's rooting for them than I plead guilty.

vango
11-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Rarely cheer for them - unless I dislike the other team (like vs. KY or UCON(N)). I always cheer for them in the NCAA tournament as I do with all ACC teams. I have a ton of UNC fans - like to see them happy. Maybe I just need new friends.

"Dr. Rosenrosen" - great name. My screen name is VanGo, but I go by John Cocktostone - I'm with the Underhills.

roywhite
11-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?

davekay1971
11-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.

wilson
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Okay...how about UNC vs Nicholas Sparks (and clones or some of his fictional characters)?

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.

wilson
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Nicholas Sparks lives in coastal NC somewhere, so I guess there's a decent chance that he's a dadgum tarheel. Just another reason that he should suffer gratuitous pain.

Indeed, he lives in New Bern...Pepsi country. So that's another strike.

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I'd sooner drink diet Coke Vanilla than root for the holes.;)

slower
11-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Would that be with or without Stevie Nicks? They were actually really good before her era.

BTW, I would root for the "Axis of Evil" traveling all-stars, coached by Kim Jong-Il, against the Holes.

I can only think of one Hole that I truly like, and that's Brad Daugherty. He's a great guy.

ArnieMc
11-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I actually pulled for unc against Kansas in the 1957 finals. I've felt dirty ever since. Now I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All Stars against the eunuchs (the proper pronunciation of unc).

Cavlaw
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd sooner drink diet Coke Vanilla than root for the holes.;)
Hmm, but what about Coke II?

wilson
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Would that be with or without Stevie Nicks? They were actually really good before her era.

Nope, sorry. I'd rather just go on back to the Yardbirds. Plus, I have a reputation to uphold here. There is nothing good about Fleetwood Mac, ever.

bludvlman
11-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Only when the opposing teams starting center is Osama Bin Laden.

dukestheheat
11-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Put it like this, I cheered so loud for Kansas last year that my neighbors could hear me. I cried when Kansas won I was so happy to see the holes liquidated.

dukestheheat

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Indeed, he lives in New Bern...Pepsi country. So that's another strike.

And how many cents did it cost Ol' Roy to purchase a Coke?

Answer: a dime.

Have we forgotten that commercial?

Note to Cavlaw: CokeZero?:eek::eek:

lifelongdevil
11-20-2008, 02:14 PM
ill gladly take the hit to the acc for UNC to hypothetically lose to a team like Weber St.

oh wait.....

KShip21
11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
No way!!!!! I've always said, my favorite team is Duke, and second favorite is whoever is playing carolina.

RainingThrees
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
When Carolina losses I dance. If I rooted for Carolina I would be happy they won and would be deprived of my dance.

SupaDave
11-20-2008, 03:19 PM
This is actually tougher for me.

As a person who moved away from his home state of North Carolina after college graduation, I had learned to support all things North Carolina. When living in the state of Texas just about the only thing you can find on it with the words "North Carolina" is something from that dang school.

It's good for the ACC too but I don't think the ACC needs that much help!

Thank God I moved back east. Now when I watch them it's more for scouting than anything else. I just DON'T ever believe in that team...

DukieInKansas
11-20-2008, 03:20 PM

I witnessed such a game also - but the score at halftime looked more like a football score than basketball. I always respected Dean Smith as a coach - but he was outcoached in that game - in my humble opinion.

RaineyDevil
11-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I never root for Carolina...under any circumstances. Wrong shade of blue...

Faustus
11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Um, No.

Cavlaw
11-20-2008, 03:35 PM
And how many cents did it cost Ol' Roy to purchase a Coke?

Answer: a dime.

Have we forgotten that commercial?

Note to Cavlaw: CokeZero?

No! Coke Zero isn't as good as Coke (although I like it okay, in cherry form), but you really don't remember Coke II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke)?

Dukiedevil
11-20-2008, 03:36 PM
I rooted for them the first time ever this week against KY. I live in Lexington, so you'd really have to be here to understand why. UK is probably the only school I'd marginally root for them against.

elvis14
11-20-2008, 03:49 PM
As others have said, NO WAY. I've lived in RTP since 1991 and have been on the east coast most of my life. Used to actually like UNC as I've been an ACC fan since the early 80's. Then I moved here and met the Tar Hole faithful. What a hatefull bunch of people with an incredibly unrealistic, disrespectful view of college basketball. The difference between Duke fans and UNC fans? Duke fans love our team and hate Carolina. But we mostly love our team. Carolina fans hate all things Duke and btw, they like their team some too. Big difference. I know UNC fans who wanted Team USA to lose and others who were very conflicted (got to hear "rat face" lots of times). Screw them. When Kansas beat Hansblahtravelflopper and the holes in the tournament I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted and all was suddenly right with the world. People were coming by my cube the next day to congradulate me! I would only have been happier had Duke been winning. I could type for another hour and still not portray how much I like to see them lose. I wasn't always this anti-UNC but after 17 years I just don't see the need to mask it anymore. I get seriously conflicted when they have injuries. I'd love nothing better than to see the ACC win every out of conference game.....except for the UNC games. 9F 9F 9F <---repeat 10000000000000000 times!

Why did North Carolina get UNC and Afganistan get the Taliban? They got first choice!

Wow, I feel better now :D

elvis14
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I rooted for them the first time ever this week against KY. I live in Lexington, so you'd really have to be here to understand why. UK is probably the only school I'd marginally root for them against.

A friend of mine lived in Ky for a couple of years. Their view of college basketball is just like UNC's....they are really really great and everyone else is a lesser program that should feel blessed if they get a chance to play them. As a Duke fan, my friend just got tired of trying to fix them. He also got tired of trying to explain to them the dominance of the ACC. Don't bother them with facts darn it, facts don't matter in Ky!

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 03:54 PM

We just moved here to Lexington.

We definitely pulled for the darker, ugly uniforms.;)

Cavlaw: Yeah, I remember the NEW COKE, but I didn't realize they renamed it Coke II. I was abroad at that time.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Devilsfan
11-20-2008, 04:04 PM
No. No. No. Didn't a presidential candidate play there. I wonder if he cursed them. Since then they have had two starters and a highly regarded sub go out with injuries.

Rudy
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I used to cheer for all ACC teams against all non-conference opponents. Even Maryland. I'll still favor UNC in that situation, usually, but my stance changed a bit when I attended a couple of ACC tournaments in North Carolina. UNC fans always cheer loudly against Duke when we play anyone else, including the newcomers BC and Miami. All other teams and players are treated with respect (witness the cheers for Sean Singletary when he left his last game last March) but not Duke's. I guess that's part of the rivalry, as this poll proves.

Matches
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
If UNC ever squares off against Nazi Germany or Rosie O'Donnell, I will *consider* rooting for them.

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2008, 05:34 PM
If UNC ever squares off against Nazi Germany or Rosie O'Donnell, I will *consider* rooting for them.
They wouldn't have any healthy players left after facing Rosie. They'd have to call off the season due to injuriy.

slower
11-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Nope, sorry. I'd rather just go on back to the Yardbirds. Plus, I have a reputation to uphold here. There is nothing good about Fleetwood Mac, ever.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. To me, pre-Nicks Fleetwood Mac is a totally different animal.

bjornolf
11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I would pull for them if I really hated the other team, but not if it meant something. Like if it was a tourney game or something, then I'll pull for the meteor. ;)

AtlDuke72
11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I actually pulled for unc against Kansas in the 1957 finals. I've felt dirty ever since. Now I'd pull for the Al Qaeda All Stars against the eunuchs (the proper pronunciation of unc).

The eunuchs - too funny! I tried to root for the Heels in 1994 at the Super Dome in the final game against the Fab Five. Could not do it - ended up screaming at Chris Webber.

throatybeard
11-20-2008, 05:53 PM
My recent solution is simply not to watch Carolina's high-stakes games. Problem solved. Didn't watch the 2005 Final.

Kedsy
11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
The eunuchs - too funny! I tried to root for the Heels in 1994 at the Super Dome in the final game against the Fab Five. Could not do it - ended up screaming at Chris Webber.

It was 1993, and I considered rooting for them but decided against it.

CameronBlue
11-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Imagine this:

Carolina's starting 5: Hanstravel, Dancin' Danny Green, "John" Wayne "The Duke" Ellington (calling Mr. Berman), Tywon "Break the drivin'" Lawson, and "Celine" Deon Thompson.

Opposing starting 5: Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Osama Bin Ladin, Idi Amin, and, playing center, The Anti-Christ.

It's a tough call, but I'm still leaning against Carolina.

I conjured up a similar starting five when this thread was 4 posts long but scrapped it because I thought the post was too puerile. Now I hope I can live up to the thread's standards.

My starting five was: Adolf "I invented the fastbreak" Hitler, Grigory "Never Say Die" Rasputin, Hannibal "the organ grinder" Lecter, Sean "I will possess your soul" Hannity and the Penguin, with Satan coaching, and Hannibal eating the organs of orphans on the sidelines during timeouts (with a nice Chianti, they are the wine and cheese crowd after all.) Got to go with Satan and the boys from down under on this one. And I have a degree from UNC, MSPH as I recall. I think I lost it during a move 3 years ago...but I don't really care.

This thread has taken on a disturbing Dante-esque quality.

topps coach
11-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Never have never will. I woulld root for the Taliban before tje tarholes

dairedevil
11-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Even when I feel like I "ought" to, because I should support the ACC, I Can't do it emotionally. For example, as much as I disliked Michigan's Fab Five, it broke my heart when Chris Webber called that timeout and gave UNC the championship.

mapei
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I absolutely rooted for UNC against that Michaigan team, which I couldn't stand. And now I always root for them against Maryland, because it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.

Capn Poptart
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh please.

Next question.

DukePA
11-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I conjured up a similar starting five when this thread was 4 posts long but scrapped it because I thought the post was too puerile. Now I hope I can live up to the thread's standards.

My starting five was: Adolf "I invented the fastbreak" Hitler, Grigory "Never Say Die" Rasputin, Hannibal "the organ grinder" Lecter, Sean "I will possess your soul" Hannity and the Penguin, with Satan coaching, and Hannibal eating the organs of orphans on the sidelines during timeouts (with a nice Chianti, they are the wine and cheese crowd after all.) Got to go with Satan and the boys from down under on this one. And I have a degree from UNC, MSPH as I recall. I think I lost it during a move 3 years ago...but I don't really care.

This thread has taken on a disturbing Dante-esque quality.

The Devil made us do it ;)

wilson
11-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I absolutely rooted for UNC against that Michaigan team, which I couldn't stand. And now I always root for them against Maryland, because it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.

This is probably the only scenario under which I can support a Duke fan's choice to root for kuralonna. However, I do not envy you. Godspeed.

weezie
11-20-2008, 11:03 PM

:D:D:D You just go your own way wilson, baby!

RelativeWays
11-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Against Uconn, yes. Against anyone else, no. At best, I can feign indifference.

superdave
11-21-2008, 12:05 AM
You're either on the bus, or your off the bus.

There's really no choice. And if you ever waver, just talk to a carolina fan for 2 minutes.

moonpie23
11-21-2008, 12:25 AM
i would pull for the taliban against UNC....

4decadedukie
11-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Bless me father for I have sinned . . .

I must admit that I have – infrequently – rooted for UNC “in conference” when they play Maryland, only because I despise the “Fear the Classroom” crowd so deeply.

wilko
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
For a Duke fan, I really believe that there is only one answer. You never root for UNC. Never.

What he said.... It shows remarkable restraint.
I'd have peppered it with much more vitriol and mindless hatred if I had to say it myself.

To even ASK the question calls your character into question...

OldPhiKap
11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Easiest question ever.

Hell, no!

Jderf
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Personally, I root for them in early-season OOC games because I want them to be as self-deluded as possible going into the ACC season. Never root for them in the tournament.

G man
11-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I cheer for ACC schools through the tournament (because it makes the conference look better), but I would never cheer for UNC. Personally I want them to get a dozen McDonalds all Americans and then get blown out every game by fifty for the rest of eternity. So it shows how crappy of a coach Williams is. OK they may have been over the top, but the answer is never!!!

DevilHorns
11-08-2010, 10:35 PM
The only scenario where I would hesitate for a millisecond regarding rooting against UNC would be if they were playing UK under the helm of Coach Cal. But even in that scenario, I would still have to root against UNC.

It's in the blood.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-08-2010, 10:49 PM
One of the DBR Founding Fathers started the Air-ball chant at that game. True story. 7 - 0 is my all time favorite halftime basketball score!

I have rooted for the Russians against unc.

Dukeface88
11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
The only time I could consider it is if they were one game away from playing us in the tourney (a la '91). There's a chance that my inner basketball fan could persuade my inner Duke fan that the epicness would be worth the delayed gratification of beating them personally. Maybe. He'd have to make one hell of a good argument.

I would have to buy a pressure washer to get rid of the stench afterward though.

Kedsy
11-08-2010, 11:36 PM
One of the DBR Founding Fathers started the Air-ball chant at that game. True story. 7 - 0 is my all time favorite halftime basketball score!

James and I were classmates at Duke. I accompanied him on a couple of ACC road trips. And I know he takes credit for the airball chant, but I wasn't sitting near enough to him to know if it's really true (it's certainly true that the entire stadium chanted it that day, every time Chick Yonakor touched the ball after his ill-fated first half shot attempt). At the time (and maybe now; for all I know it's true) James also claimed to be a direct descendant of George Washington. FWIW.

Kedsy
11-08-2010, 11:38 PM
The only time I could consider it is if they were one game away from playing us in the tourney (a la '91). There's a chance that my inner basketball fan could persuade my inner Duke fan that the epicness would be worth the delayed gratification of beating them personally. Maybe. He'd have to make one hell of a good argument.

That was the day I tried to root for them (Final Four, 1991). Just after the jump ball I realized I couldn't do it.

gumbomoop
11-08-2010, 11:43 PM
.... it's the fan base of UMCP that is most obnoxious where I live. If I lived in NC, I probably would reverse that.

It's taken this old, now-revived, thread to get me to fully understand the degrees of hatred of UNC. It's possible that those of us who do not now live, and have not much in the past lived, among UNC [or Md] fans, can't fully understand how obnoxious those fanbases are.

Now maybe the intensity of the "What a dumb question" responses has little to do with proximity to Heeldom [or Terpdom]. But a fair number of responses have at least noted this factor as significant, maybe determinative.

Never having had to deal with UNC/Md/UK fanatics in numbers, at work, wherever, my own 9F 9F 9F is, maybe, tempered by this "innocence," this naivete. Knowing what a great university is UNCCH, admiring its academic excellence, and remembering Dean Smith as a superb [albeit irritating] coach, yet, as I now see, not knowing the everyday awfulness of the idiotic fanbase, I appreciate the fierceness of so many of the posts in this thread.

I sort of understood this phenomenon by virtue of my intermittent visits to I[diot]C. But this thread spills and spells out some powerful stuff.

DukeSean
11-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I employ a ranking system of teams I dislike the most, with UNC being at the top. Based upon those rankings, I would not exactly cheer, but at least pull for those teams with "lower seed."

In other words, I never ever root/pull for UNC because no other team is higher on the dislike scale. If UK were to play UConn, I would sorta pull for UConn to win ugly cause I dislike UK more.

Or I just watch something else on TV.

Windsor
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Never. Ever. EVER. If they are playing an exceptionally despicable team I root for a meteor strike.

Devilsfan
11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Moonpie, I thought they were the taliban.

PADukeMom
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh Lord no, no way EVER! Even when they play against Kentucky it would be like comparing the Germans to the Japanese during WWII.
I know, typical arrogant Duke fan, I want UNC to lose very game they play.

whereinthehellami
11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I tape all of the UNC basketball and football games but only watch them if they are losing. If they start winning I hit fast forward. Lets just say i watched alot of UNC basketball last year, so in a way I was a fan.

jdj4duke
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Never. Ever. Not once. Not against anyone. Not in any sport, competition, or academic or any other ranking. Not until (and probably not even when) I hear one single UNC alum or fan says something positive about Duke without a backhanded, smug or condescending qualifier appended to the comment.

True story from about 3 months ago- My favorite recent overheard comment from a UNC grad was that, despite a problematic and persistent medical issue, he would not go to the Duke Medical Center because it was, you know, at Duke and he would take his chances at another hospital, thereby also eliminating the off-chance that he might run into some Duke players doing visits. Certainly not representative of most UNC folks to be sure, but I would wager that we can all come up with something similar.

Of course we always demonstrate excruciating circumspection and ultimate good sportsmanship about UNC's accomplishments and shortfalls. Seriously, after congratulating my UNC alum brother-in-law after their 09 championship, I got the usual call from him at the end of the Butler game- easy draw, refs in the pocket, lucky, K does all manner of poor and illegal things, next year UNC will rule and all that . So- 9F a million times till the end of time.

guybrush
11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Never. Never. Never.

ArnieMc
11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Never. Never. Never.I wish you were around in 1957. I actually pulled for unc against Kansas. I've felt dirty ever since. That's why my .sig is so meaningful to me. Don't do it, just don't do it. You'll regret it for life.

dukeballboy88
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I used to say id pull for Hell before id pull for the heels but now that i own a restaurant ive almost changed my thought process. Our business sucks when unc sucks, you cant find a unc fan within a 50 mile radius when they are not good. Our best 2 years in business were 05 and 09 by far and that is not a joke, i got numbers to prove it. Last year was my worst year since we opened in 04 and it was really bad. It was so bad I almost want UNC to only loose 4 times, Duke twice in the regular season, Duke in the ACC tourney final and to Duke in the NCAA final.

dukebballcamper90-91
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
No, nor do I pull against them. I only root for Duke basketball.
I almost found myself pulling for the holes their last nat champ game vs MSU. I was in a pub on vacation with my fam in Orlando and it was mostly MSU fans and they were acting like NC was a redneck hillbilly type place and I started getting ticked off. I told my wife lets go so I don't have to pull for the holes.

Rogue
11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
No, can't root for them ..

There was a time when I might have,, back in the late 60's early 70's when UCLA was beating everyone , I "might" have,, ( nah ),,

Another thought for me is,, There is no better wins than Duke wins over unc-ch, An ACC Championship Win, and of coarse and NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP WIN for DUKE..

But there are times I get more joy out of a unc-ch loss than a regular season Duke win.
They lose and I'm just happy inside.

MrBisonDevil
11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Watching UNC lose is great comedy; but secretly, I'd rather see Duke beat a strong UNC team and a weak one.

I would love to see Duke beat UNC 4x in one season (ACC Tourney Championship + NCAA Championship).

I respect UNC. I do not respect UMD (mostly b/c of the fans/students).

dukelifer
11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Hard to root for them against anyone. Maybe just a little easier when they play against Kentucky. But usually it is not rooting for them as much as not rooting against. But that said, if ever you do pull for them- you definitely do not feel all that bad if they lose.

theAlaskanBear
11-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Hard to root for them against anyone. Maybe just a little easier when they play against Kentucky. But usually it is not rooting for them as much as not rooting against. But that said, if ever you do pull for them- you definitely do not feel all that bad if they lose.

If the fate of earth was determined by a UNC-CH basketball game, a would quickly become nihilistic and root for defeat and annihilation.

Indoor66
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
If the fate of earth was determined by a UNC-CH basketball game, a would quickly become nihilistic and root for defeat and annihilation.

IMO, you are FAR too GENEROUS in your support of UNC! "Quickly" is too slow. "Always" is more appropriate. :D

78Devil
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I used to root for UNC when they played non-conference, as a matter of ACC pride. But I hate Roy Williams, and have felt that way since his earliest Kansas days. And the minute UNC hired that smarmy guy, I have rooted for them to lose every game. I can't quite put a finger on why I can't stand him, but I do and I have felt that way about very few coaches.

I know alot of folks on this BB will disagree, but I always respected Dean Smith, and had a kind of perverse pride when he did well against non-ACC opponents.

Poincaré
11-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Someone please hack DBR to find the names of the 73 people who think that rooting for UNC is acceptable. We must shame them publicly. Okay maybe just the 10 who believe this "good for the ACC" junk. The other 63 probably just haven't thought about it long enough yet. I really hope that those 10 are UNC fans, and not Duke fans.

To even start a poll like this is kind of insulting. Asking this question is somewhat like asking if the holocaust really occurred. We should not validate such a question by asking it.

Actually, maybe we should ask this question every time someone tries to post. Kind of like the old SBBS system asked for codes... If you answer anything other than "Hell no!" then your post should be rejected. Someone contact James and make it happen.

Poincaré
11-12-2010, 01:28 AM
By the way, I would like to warn all of you. The last time such a question was discussed was probably during the Doh years. We had an embarrassment of riches back then and got arrogant. We felt like we were doing well enough to go easy on Carolina.

For that we were punished with a couple seasons in the desert and a pair of Carolina titles.

Never, EVER, let down your guard my friends. The Tar Holes are always lurking. They are like bed bugs. We must eradicate them completely or they WILL come back.

SmartDevil
11-12-2010, 01:40 AM
My late father was a UNC grad and longtime fan. He was quite fond of Dean Smith.

When togehether, we'd watch basketball games on tv or go to football games, and it was natural for us to each want to see our respective alma maters edge out the other's but when Duke and UNC weren't playing we each mildy rooted for the other's team.

Then Roy Williams came to town. And within a few years, Dad substantially scaled back his general rooting for the Heels. He thought Williams was an embarrassment to the UNC program and to UNC generally because of his in-game antics; what Dad saw as a lack of respect for his own players; and his demeanor in interacting with the press as well as the nonsense he often spouted to them. I think he saw Ol' Roy as a combination crybaby and small-time con man. And in his eyes, that brought disgrace on UNC.

Dad was no fan of their AD either for multiple reasons.

Without malice toward UNC as an institution, today, with Dad gone, I do not root for the Tar Heels in any sports way to any extent whatsoever, gamewise or re: recruiting.

Devilsfan
11-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Ever root for the heels? Speaking their southern language, "HALE" NO!

BD80
11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Ever root for the heels? Speaking their southern language, "HALE" NO!

Well, actually, in kerlina vernacular, that phrase has between seven and seventeen syllables.

Gthoma2a
11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Let's go Lipscomb!

Devilsfan
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I actually hope ol'roy and his band of heels show remarked improvement and win the NIT this year. Good luck roy on your quest for the banner you came so close to winning last year.

moonpie23
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM
i hate writing this....most of you know how much i hate the holes, but i am getting an uncomfortable feeling reading so much glee in our posts about unc's UPCOMING season.

we really enjoyed the unc train wreck of last season, and it was magnified many times over by our team's amazing success, but our season is beginning tomorrow and i just feel like we might should tone down the smack about THEIR team and just move that energy into supporting Duke.

I'm not saying we can't enjoy some negative aspects of their season as we move along, but i for one HATE eating words....all it takes is an off night for us, and an upset win for them, to make us all feel like the State of The Sinking Feeling again....rememeber, they've got two (or more) opportunities to pay us back for 82-50.

My euphoria from last season is just that.....LAST SEASON....as coach K said, we are going to pursue.....so let's enjoy our season and if possible, beat them like a rented donkey every time we play them..

mods lock me up if this is out of order and spoiling everyone's fun...i appreciate the NICE pitchfork comments i got the other day when i whined, (according to some) so y'all can just jump all over that little comment box...

ps...mis-typed the title.....moratorium ON smack...duh...

oldnavy
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
i hate writing this....most of you know how much i hate the holes, but i am getting an uncomfortable feeling reading so much glee in our posts about unc's UPCOMING season.

we really enjoyed the unc train wreck of last season, and it was magnified many times over by our team's amazing success, but our season is beginning tomorrow and i just feel like we might should tone down the smack about THEIR team and just move that energy into supporting Duke.

I'm not saying we can't enjoy some negative aspects of their season as we move along, but i for one HATE eating words....all it takes is an off night for us, and an upset win for them, to make us all feel like the State of The Sinking Feeling again....rememeber, they've got two (or more) opportunities to pay us back for 82-50.

My euphoria from last season is just that.....LAST SEASON....as coach K said, we are going to pursue.....so let's enjoy our season and if possible, beat them like a rented donkey every time we play them..

mods lock me up if this is out of order and spoiling everyone's fun...i appreciate the NICE pitchfork comments i got the other day when i whined, (according to some) so y'all can just jump all over that little comment box...

Moon Pie, bashing UNC is one of the few vices I have left!!

I do get what you are saying, and I think that once we tip it off a lot more focus will be on the blue devils. BUT, I have to reserve the right to bash Roy as often as I can. It may be a little twisted, but I almost get as much pleasure out of their disappointments as I do out of our successes.

roywhite
11-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Moon Pie, bashing UNC is one of the few vices I have left!!

I do get what you are saying, and I think that once we tip it off a lot more focus will be on the blue devils. BUT, I have to reserve the right to bash Roy as often as I can. It may be a little twisted, but I almost get as much pleasure out of their disappointments as I do out of our successes.

Yeah, bashing our rivals is IMO an intrinsic part of being a Duke basketball fan.

Maybe a consolidation of such threads would be in order?

CharlestonDevil
11-13-2010, 09:52 AM
You can't defend and NIT title you've already lost.

It's a new season fellas. Here's to rooting for UNC to fail at life for another year!

sandinmyshoes
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been saying something along these lines for a while. It's not so much that it's not fun to watch them lose, it is. But the childishness of some of the posts, and the poor logic of others just seems to devalue the quality of serious discussion, imo. As I said before, I'd hate for this place to become TDD-lite.

cbros
11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
This post is the difference between Duke fans and unc fans. I have friends who root for the baby blue and they still bring up the bad Duke years or hansboro. While Duke fans (case in point this post) get hesitant to bring up the past and would rather focus on the her and now. As far as I can see Duke fans have the edge over any unc fan until a new champion is crowned. I totally agree with everything you guys are saying; it's fun to root for whoever carolina is playing but I am more interested on how Duke comes out against Princeton. carolina fans can't see that, instead they pick and choose what history they like to retell and leave things like the nit year out of the conversation.

I say, we as Duke fans, can do both. We can gloat and bask in last years success and STILL make fun of carolina fans for last year AND this year. I mean c'mon I watched the Lipscomb game last night, unc did not look like a top 10 team. I'm sure they'll get better as the year progresses but who knows. That is the same thing people were saying last year and look how that turned out.

oldnavy
11-13-2010, 10:50 AM
This post is the difference between Duke fans and unc fans. I have friends who root for the baby blue and they still bring up the bad Duke years or hansboro. While Duke fans (case in point this post) get hesitant to bring up the past and would rather focus on the her and now. As far as I can see Duke fans have the edge over any unc fan until a new champion is crowned. I totally agree with everything you guys are saying; it's fun to root for whoever carolina is playing but I am more interested on how Duke comes out against Princeton. carolina fans can't see that, instead they pick and choose what history they like to retell and leave things like the nit year out of the conversation.

I say, we as Duke fans, can do both. We can gloat and bask in last years success and STILL make fun of carolina fans for last year AND this year. I mean c'mon I watched the Lipscomb game last night, unc did not look like a top 10 team. I'm sure they'll get better as the year progresses but who knows. That is the same thing people were saying last year and look how that turned out.

I love the fact that I still hear trash from UNC fans about Duke's "easy" path to the title. Keep in mind, the trash talk is coming not from a perspective of thinking they had an unfair disadvantage and tougher path, but from fans whose team wasn't even in the TOURNAMENT!! That really does amaze me!

Indoor66
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM

I always focus on the her and now! :D

Lord Ash
11-13-2010, 11:03 AM
While smack talk is fun, it might be wise to limit it to one general thread... if our recruiting for the year gets one thread, not sure Carolina deserves more!:)

dukeimac
11-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Men rise above it, boys don't!

If this is your only vice, to make smack of UNC, you live a very very shallow life.

Remember, you only talk about the ones you fear. The more you talk about UNC the more it shows you fear them. No matter what you say, you fear them.

To listen to my UNC friends talk about Duke, it makes me smile and they just hate that. When asked I reply, you only spend time talking about those who you fear. ANd they agree!

So talk all you want, it is only going to be about those who you FEAR!

-jk
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM

You're right. And we're getting too many UNC threads going, too. There's more college hoops out there...

-jk