PDA

View Full Version : USA Today:College athletes studies guided toward 'major in eligibility'

gotham devil
11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2008-11-18-majors-cover_N.htm

•83% of the schools (118 of 142) had at least one team in which at least 25% of the juniors and seniors majored in the same thing. For example, seven of the 19 players on Stanford's baseball team majored in sociology.

Bluedog
11-19-2008, 05:48 PM

•83% of the schools (118 of 142) had at least one team in which at least 25% of the juniors and seniors majored in the same thing. For example, seven of the 19 players on Stanford's baseball team majored in sociology.

Hmm, interesting, but not really surprising. Let's see our b-ball players' majors:

Davidson: Psychology
Henderson: psychology
McClure: I can't find
Paulus: political science
Pocius: international comparative studies
Scheyer: history
Thomas: visual arts
Zoubek: History

Small sample size though. From previous years, it seems like the most popular majors are history, sociology, and African and African American studies. No sociology majors this year though. A lot of state schools have kinesiology, sports management, general studies, interdisciplinary studies, humanities, social sciences, or another relatively generic major that are very popular among football/b-ball players.

LetItBD08
11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
McClure: I can't find

I believe Dave's a history major, and since he has a 5th year in college, he's going for another degree as well now. Don't hold me to that. He mentioned something along those lines to me in May at the Crazies Who Care banquet.

Tappan Zee Devil
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Wasn't there a big to-do several years ago about how many Duke athletes had the same major? (Also wasn't it sociology?)
Also, if i remember correctly, that was one of the things that the Stanford fans threw at Duke in their claim that we are not really an elite, selective school

Jim
T '70 (physics)

gotham devil
11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Wasn't there a big to-do several years ago about how many Duke athletes had the same major? (Also wasn't it sociology?)
Also, if i remember correctly, that was one of the things that the Stanford fans threw at Duke in their claim that we are not really an elite, selective school

Jim
T '70 (physics)

Exactly, Tappan Zee. There are plenty of broken glasses in that house.

This came after the Outside The Lines program done by ESPN, the channel that Kentucky fans are convinced is working a conspiracy in our favor.

Ders24
11-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Not sure how much of a difference it would make regarding out players, but I think at least one is also pursuing a certificate in addition to a major.

BlueintheFace
11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
... it's worth mentioning that Paulus has a 3.3 GPA in arguably the most difficult non-science (chem, bio, etc...) department in Trinity, Political Science.