PDA

View Full Version : Worst finish to a game ever

dukeENG2003
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Did anyone else see the Arizona-UAB game and/or highlights? This has got to be the worst finish to a game I've ever seen (worse than Webbers timeout by a MILE).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8OtV_-6ag&eurl=http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/msu-red-cedar-message-board/349961-arizona-basketball-vs-uab.html

Wow, I mean wow

This is WORSE than calling a time out you don't have. Its more like calling two timeouts you don't have, but even then, knowing the timeout total is one thing, knowing the SCORE is a little more important.

shadowfax336
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
just incredibly incredibly stupid.
The first one is excusable, he's a freshman in his first big game, and the play before happened really quick.
The second one is absolutely awful.

Ders24
11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure I would have believed this without seeing it.

bigj4194
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure I would have believed this without seeing it.

me neither...this was awful...and it should have been three FTs.

Edouble
11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I saw it. It was incredible. This is why Coach K practices so many end of game situations. I (thankfully) have a really hard time imagining a Duke team making two huge mistakes like that at the end of one game.

rthomas
11-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Arizona Black Soxs

dukebluelemur
11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
With all due respect to their freshman status, and any coaching communication failures... even a modicum of intelligence should have saved this from happening.

Makes me glad duke has at least somewhat higher admissions standards.

wilson
11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow. That is really bad. I can't for the life of me figure out what that second guy thought he was going to accomplish. Pretty weird.

Bluedog
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
The first foul actually worked out in Arizona's favor since he missed the front end of the one-and-one. The second foul was just complete idiocy. UAB almost idiotic too and nearly threw the ball out of bounds directly on the inbounds play.

hurleyfor3
11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
My nomination is still the 2002 Indiana game, in which at least four gaffes were committed in the last four-plus seconds: one by Indiana, two by us and one by the officials.

However, the two mistakes in last night's game were entirely game-situation related rather than skill or judgment-related.

vick
11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Wow. That is really bad. I can't for the life of me figure out what that second guy thought he was going to accomplish. Pretty weird.

They "might have had a play on" according to the announcer. I'd sure like to know what play that could possibly have been though...

devildeac
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
8 points in 17 seconds. worst ending. ever. this will also be one of my contributions on the best/worst thread later.

Billy Dat
11-19-2008, 01:56 PM
-Duke v Kentucky Regional Final, 1998.
-Duke v UConn Final Four, 2004
-Duke v Maryland, ACC Tourny Championship, 2004
-Duke v UNC, Dean Dome game, regular season finale, 2005

sagegrouse
11-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Not if you are Mike Davis and UAB.

Holy cow! The fact is, the same exact thing happened on the last two plays of the game. Wouldn't you like to have a tape of what went on in the Zona huddle after the first screw-up?

sagegrouse
'I wouldn't have believed it, but maybe Zona will miss old Lute'

'BTW, I like chaos, when my team is not involved -- so it makes me wildly happy'

hurleyfor3
11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Not if you are Mike Davis and UAB.

Oh crap! This game and my nomination (Duke vs. Indiana, 2002) were both against the same coach??!?!??!?!?!?!?!!!!!

MulletMan
11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I read this whole thread before the video loaded. Then I watched it. There is no way that I could have possibly predicted what was going to happen even after reading this thread because that was, quite possibly, the STUPIDEST play that I have ever seen.

Ever.

dukelifer
11-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. A least the Freshman slept okay after his mistake. That last foul defies explanation.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Check the Vegas books...

hurleyfor3
11-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Check the Vegas books...

Not an issue. Game went off at Arizona -4½. Over-under was 145 and final was under. (If the fix were on the "over" and the fouling were intended to cause more points to be scored the Zona kids would have better off letting overtime happen.)

gvtucker
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Check the Vegas books...

Arizona -4.5

gvtucker
11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Not an issue. Game went off at Arizona -4½. Over-under was 145 and final was under. (If the fix were on the "over" and the fouling were intended to cause more points to be scored the Zona kids would have better off letting overtime happen.)

Well, if you're really a conspiracy-minded person, you could envision it being an issue. If the game goes to OT (as looked likely) then Arizona could have covered. UAB hits a free throw, and no OT.

I don't buy that, but someone could.

Bluedog
11-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Horne (second person who fouled): "It obviously shows our immaturity on the floor, especially at crunch time....They [my teammates] told me it wasn't just that one play that lost the game. It was a collective effort."

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ariz&media=91679

Coach: "As far as game situation, I think they handled it very well...I was proud of them, I thought they fought hard...I think it's kind of a tale of two things. Kyle Fogg, we put him in when we were behind, and we stuck him in to protect Nick, who had four fouls. We put him in to foul. When he came up with the steal and scored, he just got excited, and lost track of what was going on. And I can understand that. He's sitting over there, he's a young kid, and he'll learn from that, and he felt horrible about it. I think Jamelle's was just the opposite. I believe it was Delany (sp?) that had the ball, and he was setting up the sideline, and Jamelle I don't think had a clock in his head. I think he thought Delany could get all the way to the rim. And he kinda got caught between a rock and a hard place. And instead of letting him go, he made a poor decision. And he's broken up about it. it was not a head's up play, but you know, we told him, we were 13-20 from the free throw line. We hit two more free throws we win...That play gets magnified and I understand that, but we had other opportunities to make good plays...One of the things he said is 'I didn't know what to do.' He was afraid the guy was going to get a layup, but again..."

"We always talk about the situation...You can put that on me. I didn't mention the score, but we had the basketball and we said we were playing for the last shot. Usually, when you're playing for the last shot..I guess you can be behind, but even then....I'll sit down with Jemelle tonight, right now was not the appropriate time."

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ariz&media=91614

weezie
11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Poor Arizona! This is terrible. Gosh, can they not catch any breaks at all?
J Hill, Nic Wise and, of course, Budinger are just snake bit. It's a shame that a program that travels, takes on big opponents and plays in a good conference just cannot get out from under the cloud of doom.
How awful to hear the home crowd booing at the end of that game....

sagegrouse
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Check the Vegas books...

When there is suspicion of deceit and treachery, I have learned that it is more often indolence and incompetence.

In this case I will go with incompetence.

sagegrouse

BlueintheFace
11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
In this case I will go with incompetence.

...well it certainly looked that way... twice

JasonEvans
11-19-2008, 03:54 PM
At every moment you think, "this cannot get any worse..." and then it does.

The idiotic intentional foul with the game tied
The missed front-end of a one-and-one (not that bad, it happens)
Arizona not holding for the last shot and taking a bad shot with too much time left on the clock
The intentional foul of the guy about to shoot from half-court for the win
With less than a second left and the lead, UAB almost throwing away the in-bounds pass when all they needed to do was have someone-- anyone-- touch the ball and the game is over. Heck, just roll it into the backcourt and you would win.

I mean... damn!! Can both of them be charged with a loss? Can we just put Davidson back into the Pre-NIT as a West Champion instead of letting either of these teams move on?

--Jason "I too am dying to know how 2 different players on Arizona could commit the same piece of idiocy in the final 25 seconds of the game" Evans

SMO
11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
At every moment you think, "this cannot get any worse..." and then it does.

The idiotic intentional foul with the game tied
The missed front-end of a one-and-one (not that bad, it happens)
Arizona not holding for the last shot and taking a bad shot with too much time left on the clock
The intentional foul of the guy about to shoot from half-court for the win
With less than a second left and the lead, UAB almost throwing away the in-bounds pass when all they needed to do was have someone-- anyone-- touch the ball and the game is over. Heck, just roll it into the backcourt and you would win.

I mean... damn!! Can both of them be charged with a loss? Can we just put Davidson back into the Pre-NIT as a West Champion instead of letting either of these teams move on?

--Jason "I too am dying to know how 2 different players on Arizona could commit the same piece of idiocy in the final 25 seconds of the game" Evans

The end of that game is the strongest argument against having games in November that I have ever seen.

ACCBBallFan
11-19-2008, 05:54 PM
me neither...this was awful...and it should have been three FTs. yep, the only positive thing that could be said is the Arizona guy was incredibly athletic to even dive and foul the gu.

Other than this being a less meaningful game, definitely trumps Chris Weber's time out with none left, fouling a guy in the act of shooting a desparation 3 from 3/4 length of the court. with the score tied.

Tappan Zee Devil
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
-Duke v Kentucky Regional Final, 1998.

painful, painful, painful.

The 2004 UCon game was close :(

mgtr
11-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Now if we didn't have Youtube or its equivalent, we couldn't see the replay, and we wouldn't know how crazy it really was.

Cell-R
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Now if we didn't have Youtube or its equivalent, we couldn't see the replay, and we wouldn't know how crazy it really was.

Without Youtube, I would never have believed this story.
I feel pretty bad for the guy who fouled UAB the second time.

Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to us! :eek:

ArnieMc
11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
He was intentionally fouled in the act of shooting a three. Shouldn't he get 3 free throws and the ball? And what happens if the shot goes in? Does he get another free throw and the ball? Need some help from one of you rules gurus.

blazindw
11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
He was intentionally fouled in the act of shooting a three. Shouldn't he get 3 free throws and the ball? And what happens if the shot goes in? Does he get another free throw and the ball? Need some help from one of you rules gurus.

I'm sure they called it an intentional foul on the floor, which means that it's 2 shots and the ball. The foul clearly occurred before the shot went up, so I see no problem with the 2 shots.