PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports NCAA Basketball 09

Cavlaw
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
I picked this up yesterday and I'm already hooked. I'm kind of terrible at this point, since I haven't played a basketball videogame since Bulls v. Lakers on the Sega Genesis, but I'm having a lot of fun. Anyone else planning on getting this one?

wilson
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I picked this up yesterday and I'm already hooked. I'm kind of terrible at this point, since I haven't played a basketball videogame since Bulls v. Lakers on the Sega Genesis, but I'm having a lot of fun. Anyone else planning on getting this one?

You're an Xbox kid, right?
I'm kind of on the lookout for a couple of new Wii games that I can enjoy during next month's "sit on my [bum] and get dumber for a couple of weeks" phase.

CameronBornAndBred
11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Saw the ads for that last night while watching the holes. Looks really good, I've got a Wii, would be interesting using numchucks. I'm like you, haven't played a basketball game in years.

colchar
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm kind of on the lookout for a couple of new Wii games that I can enjoy during next month's "sit on my [bum] and get dumber for a couple of weeks" phase.

Looks like somebody is about to be ABD...

Grab yourself a cheap PS2 or something like that. You just can't beat the feeling of being post comps and lazing around on the couch all day playing Madden, Nascar, NHL, Tiger Woods, and any shooter you fancy. Not getting off the couch for hours on end has its benefits.

Cavlaw
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
You're an Xbox kid, right?
I have both systems. I picked up the 360 version so I could send my brother a copy for christmas and kick his tarheel butt.

wilson
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Looks like somebody is about to be ABD...

Not quite, but after this semester, exams are basically all that's left between me and dissertationland. After feeling totally in the weeds for a while, I've had a good couple of weeks, and things are looking up. I definitely don't expect to get much done over the holidays.
I don't really need the PS3, because I have a Wii and my brother has an Xbox 360. I'm just trying to decide how to disburse my limited budget so as to maximize gaming enjoyment.
Mario Kart Wii is a must...I think/hope Santa Bro is bringing that. Besides that, I dunno what I'll do.

pfrduke
11-19-2008, 11:04 AM

I've been a 2ksports fan (have purchased each of the last four seasons), and had always disliked EA's basketball interface, but 2ksports isn't releasing a college hoops game this year, so I may have to cave and get the one from EA. Going a year w/o a new college hoops game seems like too much to ask, particularly when this and college football is essentially all that I use my xbox for.

colchar
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Saw the ads for that last night while watching the holes.

Watching the holes?!? You're banished.

Cavlaw
11-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I just finished entering the rosters of every team in the ACC. I'm pretty psyched.

It's kind of cool to play in a virtual Cameron and hear the crowd start up with LGD!

Bostondevil
11-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Watched the holes to root for Kentucky (what!?!), it's true. Love seeing the Hansborough in street clothes. The more that happens the safer JJ's record is.

Oldest son, when asked if he wanted Santa to bring him anything this year, said he wants this game. Will it be hard to find, do you think? Should I go out and try to buy it right now?

riverside6
11-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Got it for the PS3 yesterday, need to find someone who has the rosters though before I start a Dynasty.

The game is pretty fun, but like pfr, I miss the 2k series.

blazindw
11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
My plan is to get it sometime next weekend when I purchase an Xbox 360. I have to get everyone's Xbox names so as I build up my collection, I can play live competition!

CLT Devil
11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I had the EA version a few years back for the PS2 and wasn't too thrilled. I bought the 2K version for the 360 last year and it was a much better game than the EA version on the same console. One thing about the college version of these games is that they are very slow....hard to get a break going and lucky to get a single dunk in a game. I got the NBA 2K for the 360 this year and the gameplay is head and shoulders above the college version of the games...lots of fastbreak dunks, alley oops, 3's...basically all the things that are fun to me. It seems in the college version they slow it down to mimick the real games. Even though I never could watch an entire NBA game the video game is very addicting.

Cavlaw
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I had the EA version a few years back for the PS2 and wasn't too thrilled. I bought the 2K version for the 360 last year and it was a much better game than the EA version on the same console. One thing about the college version of these games is that they are very slow....hard to get a break going and lucky to get a single dunk in a game. I got the NBA 2K for the 360 this year and the gameplay is head and shoulders above the college version of the games...lots of fastbreak dunks, alley oops, 3's...basically all the things that are fun to me. It seems in the college version they slow it down to mimick the real games. Even though I never could watch an entire NBA game the video game is very addicting.
I've had a very different experience with EA. Perhaps they just made improvements for this version, as I haven't played the previous installations in the series.

I've played about a half a dozen games so far, and regularly get alley-oops (there is actually a button combination to do it, which basically costs a turnover if your breaker isn't clear to the hoop) and fast breaks off the steal or long rebound. There is also a button combination for "ankle-breaker" moves, which lets guards beat their man and drive to the basket.

Regarding 3's, I had Scheyer and Paulus hitting them consistently when open or off of good head fakes or ankle-breakers. As far as dunking goes, in my last game (against UVA) Zoubek was the player of the game with 16 points (3 dunks, 4 off post moves in the paint, and a pair of free throws), a ton of boards, 2 assists and a steal.

I'm very pleased with the game, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing with 2K.

CLT Devil
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Sounds like they have made it better. I don't plan to buy a college game this year but would like to check this one out.

riverside6
11-20-2008, 08:19 AM
tempo is the focus of this year's game, and I think they really did a good job with it.

riverside6
11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Anyone on PS3 found good rosters yet? I've been waiting on the group at OperationSports.com which is taking forever!

Cavlaw
11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Anyone on PS3 found good rosters yet? I've been waiting on the group at OperationSports.com which is taking forever!
It's pretty quick and easy to just enter the rosters yourself. It took me about 30 minutes to do the entire ACC.

riverside6
11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I know, I've done in past years, I'm just lazy, plus with a couple kids, I need to reserve all of my "game-time" for playing the game.

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Got it for the PS3 yesterday, need to find someone who has the rosters though before I start a Dynasty.

The game is pretty fun, but like pfr, I miss the 2k series.
Here, let me Google that for you (http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=EA+Sports+NCAA+Basketball+09+Roster). ;):D

riverside6
11-22-2008, 05:12 PM
The operationsports.com forums just finished them early this morning. :)