PDA

View Full Version : Our Schedule Looks Tough!

Faison1
11-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Since I have not been able to see any of our games yet, I do not have anything to gauge our progress against, but I have seen 4 of our highly ranked opponents (bits and pieces).

In the span of 2 days, I have glimpsed Purdue, Georgetown, Davidson, and UNC, and I gotta say, they all look pretty tough. I know none of their opponents play our brand of defense, but they seem to have reached midseason form, while we have struggled a bit (depends on who you talk to).

Is anyone else a bit intimidated by some of our upcoming games? Maybe intimidated is the wrong word.....maybe concerned is better.

Billy Dat
11-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Those games are what it's all about, no? I wish we could play every team in the top 20 at least once, every year...which is basically how Tom Izzo used to schedule a few years ago. Bring 'em on!!!!

bigj4194
11-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Also forgot the potential to play UCLA. I'm excited for these games. They will be good tests of how good our team actually is. I agree that these games could pose some challenges, but I am optimistic for these games and for our team.

Wander
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm excited it about it, our schedule looks excellent, especially with Purdue on the road and UCLA, SIU, and Xavier on neutral courts.

I'm also sick of this nonsense about UNC being awesome for scheduling Kentucky, as Duke's non-conference schedule is clearly better this year.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I think it's a great early test for us to play so many strong teams. Instead of playing 1 or 2 tough games before ACC play starts as has often happened in the past, we will likely have played 6 tough ones - URI, SIU, UCLA, Purdue, Xavier and Davidson. What a great way to measure where we're at. I think those are the kind of games that help the team grow more quickly and become better prepared for tough conference and tournament games.

mr. synellinden
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Hopefully we can keep this in mind and not collectively lose our minds (on this board) and fall into sky is falling mentality should we lose one or more of these games.

Wander
11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Hopefully we can keep this in mind and not collectively lose our minds (on this board) and fall into sky is falling mentality should we lose one or more of these games.

Agreed. I'd actually be surprised if we didn't lose or two.

davekay1971
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I love the schedule. The cupcakes are useful to ease the freshmen into college game-time experience, but ultimately we need to play tough opponents away from Cameron to be ready for March. Some of our best years (the late 80s and 90 and 91) Duke lost early season games and went into the NCAA tournament with 5, 6, 7 losses on the ledger. Too many losses would hurt in March if it killed our seeding for the tournament, but otherwise, the more tough games (whether they end in a W or L, doesn't matter) we play early on, the better.

Can't wait to see what we do the next two nights!

dukelifer
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Since I have not been able to see any of our games yet, I do not have anything to gauge our progress against, but I have seen 4 of our highly ranked opponents (bits and pieces).

In the span of 2 days, I have glimpsed Purdue, Georgetown, Davidson, and UNC, and I gotta say, they all look pretty tough. I know none of their opponents play our brand of defense, but they seem to have reached midseason form, while we have struggled a bit (depends on who you talk to).

Is anyone else a bit intimidated by some of our upcoming games? Maybe intimidated is the wrong word.....maybe concerned is better.

I am sure if you asked Roy Williams yesterday- he would say his team struggled as well. You just don't know until you play them. This schedule will test the team. Everyone says it is all about how you play at the end and not the beginning of the season.

dukemomLA
11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Tough schedule! Bring it on! What matters most is March/April madness. Let's give our guys all the support we can, and know that a brutal early schedule will better prepare them. GO DUKE.

Faison1
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I agree that it's a much more entertaining season when we have tough schedules, circa late '80's and '90's. And it's always better to challenge yourself throughout life, etc, etc.

Was it Chris Paul's freshman year (or Josh Howard's team) when WFU and UNC went to triple overtime early in the season? I can remember watching that game, and feeling the same way I do now, which is: "Man, those teams look good, and they move really fast....I hope we can keep up with them."

So, with anything, I think it's good to be a little nervous.....that way you make sure you are totally prepared.

gotham devil
11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
The Big East teams have to run a gauntlet this year. By comparison, the ACC seems relatively comfortable.

BlueintheFace
11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
The Big East teams have to run a gauntlet this year. By comparison, the ACC seems relatively comfortable.

I keep hearing this, but I have a suspicion that two tiers will emerge rather than the large 9-10 team ball of talented teams that the analysts seem to believe will all be very good.... I guess we will see.

JDev
11-19-2008, 10:03 PM
This SIU game tomorrow, and potentially UCLA the day after are both solid games against tournament-good teams (SIU is the type of team Duke might see somewhere about the second round, and UCLA the type you have to beat for a Final Four trip, or even in the Final Four). This will be a nice two-day test for these Devils. Those other games down the line look good too. This should certainly be a battle-tested Duke team come March. The ACC provides really tough games night-in and night-out, but these non-conference testers are great to see. I can't wait until tomorrow and (hopefully) Friday!

Bob Green
11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
This will be a nice two-day test for these Devils.

The NCAA Tournament is really three two-day tournaments. This weekend's Coaches vs. Cancer event at MSG will be great preparation for March. I'm giddy over all the potentially tough teams we will face this season. Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Bring on the competition!

JDev
11-19-2008, 10:29 PM
The NCAA Tournament is really three two-day tournaments. This weekend's Coaches vs. Cancer event at MSG will be great preparation for March. I'm giddy over all the potentially tough teams we will face this season. Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Bring on the competition!

Absolutely right! Duke needs to be able to beat a good team and then turn around and beat an even better team, and when is a better time to start practicing that than right now?