PDA

View Full Version : More Duke Comments on Florida Possibly Repeating

BCGroup
03-31-2007, 08:21 AM
From the Charlotte Observer (registration may be required, I'm not sure)
http://charlotte.com/456/story/69483.html

Comments from Thomas Hill, Coach K, and Jay Bilas. Weirdest comment, though? Comparing Noah to Coach K:
On Friday, Noah sounded oddly like Krzyzewski talking about the legions of fans who cheer against Duke. Noah said he was stunned at the number of fans in St. Louis cheering for Xavier against No. 1 seed Ohio State in the tournament. "Everybody wants the upset," Noah said. "Everybody wants the underdog. So when you're the champion, everybody wants you to lose." That includes the guys reluctant to share the pedestal they stood on for Duke 15 years ago.

ikiru36
03-31-2007, 03:27 PM
From the Charlotte Observer (registration may be required, I'm not sure)
http://charlotte.com/456/story/69483.html

Comments from Thomas Hill, Coach K, and Jay Bilas. Weirdest comment, though? Comparing Noah to Coach K:
On Friday, Noah sounded oddly like Krzyzewski talking about the legions of fans who cheer against Duke. Noah said he was stunned at the number of fans in St. Louis cheering for Xavier against No. 1 seed Ohio State in the tournament. "Everybody wants the upset," Noah said. "Everybody wants the underdog. So when you're the champion, everybody wants you to lose." That includes the guys reluctant to share the pedestal they stood on for Duke 15 years ago.

I enjoyed the article, though I don't particularly agree with your "reluctant to share" comment, at least to the extent that it seems a bit accusatory. It would be very rare for any long-time record-holder not to (rightfully) enjoy their record status, and have a mild sadness were they to be tied or surpassed. Heck, those 1970's Dolphins guys encourage hoodoo against currently undefeated NFL teams and still get together every year to specifically celebrate when no undefeated teams remain. I actually think it's kinda cool that Coach K was willing to joke about it.

"Go UCLA," he said, laughing.

"We wish (Florida) well, but we don't wish them well."

(actually, it's a little weird as written (without inflection), or perhaps there is a "too" missing before the second "well")

Anyways, just seems honest and in no way un-naturally greedy. As far as I'm concerned, should UF pull it off, it takes nothing away from the former accomplishment.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCGroup
03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I agree, that was contradictory, but typical for the Charlotte Observer. I actually posted more toward the first of the comment, comparing Noah and Coach K (talking about the fans). Seemed like in terms of the whole article, the author wanted to point out that former Duke players were pulling against Florida, which I also think isn't necessarily true.

dukeisawesome
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Go UCLA! I never thought much of this, but now that Florida has a chance to repeat I find myself rooting hard against them.