PDA

View Full Version : Just how many times do you Snooze?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
I hate doing it but I love it.

wilson
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Zero for me. It has taken some effort, and I have the occasional lapse where I fall back asleep and mess things up, but I generally turn off the alarm, take 3 minutes or so to collect myself, and then get out of bed. It's a really good habit to establish.

bigj4194
11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
way too many.

devildeac
11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
perhaps once a month-or less-on weekends only

hurleyfor3
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't even use an alarm, unless I have to catch a plane at 6am or something.

camion
11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
The alarm clock is on the other side of the room and once I'm up I'm awake.

bjornolf
11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't generally use an alarm. My wife FINALLY conditioned herself to get up at the first alarm when we had our first son. When we were dating, she used to set her alarm 50 minutes, that's right, 50 minutes!, before she had to get up so she could hit snooze like eight times. She didn't even register it until the fourth or fifth time. It was insane. I thank the Lord almost every day for THAT little change.

EarlJam
11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Zero. I have not used the alarm clock in more than six years. Just one of those things. I naturally wake up around 6:30 every morning and can tell myself, "sleep for 15 more minutes," and it works.

Six years and no oversleep yet.

-EarlJam

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I drive my wife insane with it. I set my clock for 6:30, and usually get out of bed about 7:30, with a 9 minute snooze rotation. Maybe bjornolf's wife is my long lost sister.

DukePA
11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I drive my wife insane with it. I set my clock for 6:30, and usually get out of bed about 7:30, with a 9 minute snooze rotation. Maybe bjornolf's wife is my long lost sister.

Perhaps the 3 of us are related. I'm just as bad. I set the alarm for 6 and get up around 7. I just hate getting up in the mornings. Mornings, blahhhhh

sue71, esq
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM

We must also be related. I have about the same rotation/times. :)

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2008, 04:35 PM
We must also be related. I have about the same rotation/times. :)
Hmmmmm...maybe our parents know each other better than we think.

2535Miles
11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
If I snooze, I hit it twice. Snoozing usually happens when it gets colder outside, rarely in the summer. I am part bear.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Hmmmmm...maybe our parents know each other better than we think.
Ooops, maybe Sue's and my parents DO know each other, but that was meant for DukePA's comment. Hell, my dad probably knows Sue's whole family, somehow he knows everybody I do.

rsvman
11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Zero.

I hate getting up in the morning as much as the next guy, probably more, which is why I NEVER hit the snooze button.

Think about it. It makes no sense at all:

Let's see. I'm a guy who hates being awakened in the morning by the $%%# alarm clock. So, to solve the problem, I'll do it over and over and over again. What?!?

The snooze button just magnifies the frustration of getting up in the morning. If you hit the snooze button, say, 4 times, and you have a 9-minute snooze, you just lost 36 minutes of good sleep. You get no good sleep after the first time the alarm goes off. AND, to top it off, you have to be jarred awake by the stinking alarm 4 times more frequently than is necessary.

(Full disclosure: Many years ago, I hit the snooze button 2-4 times every morning. I finally realized it was counterproductive. So, I'm a reformed snoozer. My sleep is much better now. Snoozers, do yourselves a favor: set your clock for the time you have to get up, and get right up out of bed, no matter how painful. Over time, it becomes much easier and your overall sleep is improved greatly.)

/soapbox

YmoBeThere
11-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Like others, I don't use an alarm clock.

bluebutton
11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I haven't used an alarmclock for several years and it's wonderful!

*But my husband says I should note that I am a morning person. So in a sense it's not fair. When I had to leave for work at 6, I did use an alarm.

BluDevilGal
11-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Until recently I had been hitting the snooze for at least 30-45 minutes every morning. I don't have as much leeway in my morning schedule now, so I'm down to 15 minutes or less of snooze time.

As for rsvman's comments, I don't hit the snooze because I want to but because I'm incapable of waking up. Hitting the snooze is definitely counterproductive. But I don't set the alarm earlier to accomodate my snooze time, I set it when I really need to get up, yet no matter how hard I try, I just don't reach full consciousness the first time the alarm goes off.

Mornings just don't agree with me.

CathyCA
11-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I hit it 4 times. The alarm goes off at 6:20, and I hit the snooze for an additional 20 minutes of snooze time.

I am NOT a morning person, so it takes some time for me to wake up.

DevilAlumna
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Technically, I don't hit snooze, I just have 4 different alarm times. (I use a pocket pc as my alarm clock.)

I just don't wake up enough on the first one; after the 2nd, I turn on a radio and gently wake up; I try and get up by the third; the 4th is more a "if you're not up and moving by now, you're REALLY going to be late" sort of warning.

I get some crazy dreams happening between the 1st and third, which I really love.

rsvman
11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
As for rsvman's comments, I don't hit the snooze because I want to but because I'm incapable of waking up. Hitting the snooze is definitely counterproductive. But I don't set the alarm earlier to accomodate my snooze time, I set it when I really need to get up, yet no matter how hard I try, I just don't reach full consciousness the first time the alarm goes off.

Mornings just don't agree with me.
You might want to try setting your alarm to coincide with your natural sleep cycles. It's much easier to awaken when you're in light sleep than deep. A typical sleep cycle lasts about 90 minutes or so. If you set your alarm for about 7.5 hours after you'll actually be asleep (so about 8 hours or so after you hit the sack), you might find it much easier to get up when the alarm rings, because (at least in theory) you'll be in stage 1 sleep rather than stage 3 or 4 when it goes off.

It's just an idea. It works for some people.

aimo
11-19-2008, 08:40 AM
If I need to get up earlier, I set my alarm earlier and still hit the snooze. Unless it's the weekend. Then I wake up early when I don't want to. Drives me nuts.

When I was in college, I would set my alarm to a turbo-Christian station that always had a guy preaching fire and brimstone in the morning. If that's not incentive to get up and shut off the alarm for good, I don't know what would be.

EarlJam
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I hit it 4 times. The alarm goes off at 6:20, and I hit the snooze for an additional 20 minutes of snooze time.

I am NOT a morning person, so it takes some time for me to wake up.

Back in the day, I loved to hit it. I'd hit it as often as possible; fall asleep; wake up and hit it again. Hitting it in the morning is awesome.

Alas, I stopped using my alarm clock years ago.

-EarlJam

DukieInKansas
11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't even remember hitting snooze most mornings. I leave my alarm set at the same time as I have to get up at 6am one morning and can sleep to 7am the others. I don't even realize I have hit snooze on the 7am mornings.

I have no problem waking up early without an alarm when I'm on vacation.

The best alarm I had was in college - it was so obnoxious, I woke up when it clicked to turn on and would shut it off before Oscar the Grouch got his first word out. Unfortunately, Oscar developed laryngitis one summer in storage and didn't talk again.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Back in the day, I loved to hit it. I'd hit it as often as possible; fall asleep; wake up and hit it again. Hitting it in the morning is awesome.

Alas, I stopped using my alarm clock years ago.

-EarlJam

so it is true that if you don't use it, you lose it?

rsvman
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
I get some crazy dreams happening between the 1st and third, which I really love.

Technically, those aren't dreams. They're "hypnogogic hallucinations." They happen to people when they are just beginning to fall asleep. By contrast, dreams occur after deep sleep has been entered. Having those "dreams" proves that you're getting no useful sleep after the alarm sounds the first time.

DukieInKansas
11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Technically, those aren't dreams. They're "hypnogogic hallucinations." They happen to people when they are just beginning to fall asleep. By contrast, dreams occur after deep sleep has been entered. Having those "dreams" proves that you're getting no useful sleep after the alarm sounds the first time.

I haven't had any dreams or "hypnogogic hallucinations" that I can remember upon waking in more time than I can remember. Is that unusual? What can I do to remember the dreams when I wake up? I assume that I dream and just can't remember them but is it possible to not dream at all?

DevilAlumna
11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Good to know! I had one memorable "hallucination" that involved a friend from high school. We were hanging out, then he began talking to me about something involving art in vending machines that had previously sold cigarette packages.

Well, I was waking up with the Durham NPR station on in the background, and my friend was, unbeknownst to me, a reporter at the Wake Forest University radio station and was doing a local interest story - the art in vending machines was true. I always thought it was weird that his voice was so distinctive that it could even translate through my sleep (or lack thereof) and manifest as a vision in my head.

2535Miles
11-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Good to know! I had one memorable "hallucination" that involved a friend from high school. We were hanging out, then he began talking to me about something involving art in vending machines that had previously sold cigarette packages.

Well, I was waking up with the Durham NPR station on in the background, and my friend was, unbeknownst to me, a reporter at the Wake Forest University radio station and was doing a local interest story - the art in vending machines was true. I always thought it was weird that his voice was so distinctive that it could even translate through my sleep (or lack thereof) and manifest as a vision in my head.
The art/cigarette machines are so cool! There is one near me in Oceanside. You can read more about the machines and where to find one close to you here (http://www.artomat.org/).

aimo
11-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Art-o-mat is so cool! I know someone who sells stuff through it. Haven't ever seen one in person, though.

Jfrosh
11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I hit it, but I usually get up before it sounds again, however I leave it going for my wife who usually hits it two more times before she ends up getting up.

rsvman
11-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I haven't had any dreams or "hypnogogic hallucinations" that I can remember upon waking in more time than I can remember. Is that unusual? What can I do to remember the dreams when I wake up? I assume that I dream and just can't remember them but is it possible to not dream at all?

It's not possible to not dream at all. Everybody dreams. I don't think anybody knows why some people seem to remember their dreams almost every day and others virtually never do.

I think if you you thought about remembering your dreams (BEFORE you go to sleep at night) and continue making this conscious effort on a daily basis, you might be able to remember more of your dreams.

DukieInKansas
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
It's not possible to not dream at all. Everybody dreams. I don't think anybody knows why some people seem to remember their dreams almost every day and others virtually never do.

I think if you you thought about remembering your dreams (BEFORE you go to sleep at night) and continue making this conscious effort on a daily basis, you might be able to remember more of your dreams.

Thanks - I'll try that and report back. Do I pay you for a house call?