PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ACC Stats after First Week

gw67
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I like to check the ACC site the Monday after each week to see how players/teams have fared. The ACC site has not compiled the stats so I looked at the ESPN stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/statistics?conf=2). The ACC is 16-0 after the first week and the following are listings of newcomers who have gotten of to good starts, returnees who have done the same and a couple of surprising stats for players who haven't made a mark up to now.

Impressive Debuts
• Landesburg (Va) 28 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists
• Aminu (Wake) 21 points, 10 rebounds
• Trapani (BC) 13 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists
• Singleton (FS) 12 points, 17 rebounds
• Zeller (UNC) 18 points
• Davis (UNC) 10 points, 14 rebounds
• Zeglinski (Va) 11 points, 6 assists

Good Starts by Returnees
• Booker (Clem) 13.7 rpg (3 games)
• Singler (Duke) 19.7 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 3.0 apg (3 games)
• Miller (GT) 17 points, 7 rebounds, 10 assists
• Lawal (GT) 18 points, 12 rebounds
• Vasquez (Md) 13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists
• Collins (Miami) 18 points, 16 rebounds
• Thompson (UNC) 17 points, 7 rebounds
• Costner (NCS) 19 points, 7 rebounds
• Scott (Va) 26 points 18 rebounds
• Vassallo (VT) 19 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists
• Allen (VT) 19 points, 9 rebounds
• Johnson (Wake) 18 points, 10 rebounds

Unexpected Performance
• Sheehan (GT) 10 points, 6 rebounds
• Rios (Miami) 17 points

Rios got some playing time last year but Sheehan, a 6-10 center scored a total of 11 points in his freshman year. Clemson has gotten off to a good start (3-0) but it doesn't appear that it was due to stellar play by their backcourt. The team has averaged 11.7 assists to 21.0 turnovers and Stitt/Oglesby have been the biggest culprits.

gw67

ryan
11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Penn isn't Duke by any means, but Zeller (18 pts), Thompson (17 pts, 7 reb), and Davis (10 pts, 14 reb) show me that we're really going to need some big games from Lance, Miles, and Zoubek.

mo.st.dukie
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Penn isn't Duke by any means, but Zeller (18 pts), Thompson (17 pts, 7 reb), and Davis (10 pts, 14 reb) show me that we're really going to need some big games from Lance, Miles, and Zoubek.

Don't forget we also have Kyle down low as well.

ryan
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Don't forget we also have Kyle down low as well.

oops. I didn't put him because I assumed he'd have a big game against UNC. He'll be there, I'm sure. I probably should have put him there too, though.

sandinmyshoes
11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
oops. I didn't put him because I assumed he'd have a big game against UNC. He'll be there, I'm sure. I probably should have put him there too, though.

You didn't list Hansbrough either, so let's just say you were calling Hansbrough and Singler a wash. :)

ryan
11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
You didn't list Hansbrough either, so let's just say you were calling Hansbrough and Singler a wash. :)

haha...can I repost this whole thing? :)

Like Singler, I assumed that Hansbrough would play well against us. I was commenting on how much other talent they have down low. I'll try to better word my posts from this point on. :)

gw67
11-17-2008, 03:49 PM
ryandroach - Welcome to the board. The participants on the board are a good group of people and are very civil toward new posters. If you want to make a point, it is sometimes better to take a little longer to get the wording right, particularly, when the post deals with UNC or their players.

gw67

VAGentleman05
11-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Interesting stats, GW. A minor quibble on one of our (UVA's) guys: While Sammy Zeglinski is technically a redshirt freshman, this wasn't really his "debut." He played in 8 games last year but received a medical hardship waiver.

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear what you guys think of Sylven Landesberg when you get a chance to see him. He's a McD's AA and probably our top recruit since Singletary.

riverside6
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
The more I see of Trapani he's pretty comparable to Kyle Singler.

He finished with 20 points tonight in their game against Loyola MD (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Game_Box_Score_External.asp?hGame=1359).

roywhite
11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
The more I see of Trapani he's pretty comparable to Kyle Singler.

He finished with 20 points tonight in their game against Loyola MD (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Game_Box_Score_External.asp?hGame=1359).

Well, I look forward to seeing Mr. Trapani (and other talented newcomers; it looks like a great year for the ACC). Let me just say I'd be mighty impressed if he is indeed comparable to Kyle Singler.

dkbaseball
11-17-2008, 11:21 PM
I saw State play UNO Saturday. Hard to assess them because they had UNO -- playing that night with no returning starters -- pretty outmanned, though it was close for the whole game. Costner showed a good touch from three, as well as good ability to go to the rack. Fells gets up, but not much else is noticeable about his game. McCauley looked like a serviceable big man, but nothing special. The team played much better in the second half when they went with Gonzalez at the point and Ferguson at shooting guard. Point is their main weakness.

I thought the team looked pretty well coached on the floor, but notably unbuff. Duke definitely works the strength and conditioning angle harder.