PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem at BB games collection thread

Raleighfan
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
At the WBB game this afternoon, I very much appreciated hearing the National Anthem as played by our pep band...a straightforward version, not enhanced or jazzed up. Don't wish to step on anyone's toes, but some vocal versions of the good ol NA are a big turn-off IMO. Thanks/props/kudos to the pep band!

zingit
11-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Agreed. I love our vocal groups in other performances, but a lot of the time when they do the national anthem, they play up the harmony so much that it doesn't even sound like the same song. Just stick to the classic version, please!

wisteria
11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Agreed. Today in the MBB game, it sounded like a different song that most of people just couldn't figure out when to add that "O".

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Agreed. Today in the MBB game, it sounded like a different song that most of people just couldn't figure out when to add that "O".

Not being able to put in the "O" really doesn't bother me. I used to like it as a kid, before I realized it means absolutely nothing (for Duke. It has some relevance to the Orioles, but whatever).

One thing to consider is that this is the biggest setting a lot of these small groups will get to perform in. Wanting to show their musical skills a little doesn't bother me, as long as its performed well. I prefer these groups with their slight changes to the tune to solo singers who go crazy at the end of the song, particularly at "free." To each his(her) own though, I can understand why some people would just want to hear the standard tune.

Lotus000
11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I like the "O" a lot. I've had lots of good friends and fraternity brothers (all Duke alumi) serve in the military and have medals from Afghanistan who don't care at all...it's a tradition.

Did anybody catch Patti (or Patty?) LaBelle's rendition at the World Series? AWFUL...she was drunk, guaranteed.

That being said, I like more traditional much more, but keep the "O" for sure.

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
I like the "O" a lot. I've had lots of good friends and fraternity brothers (all Duke alumi) serve in the military and have medals from Afghanistan who don't care at all...it's a tradition.

Did anybody catch Patti (or Patty?) LaBelle's rendition at the World Series? AWFUL...she was drunk, guaranteed.

That being said, I like more traditional much more, but keep the "O" for sure.

I'm not saying that its disrespectful, I'm saying its a silly tradition. Most sports teams interrupt the anthem with something that relates to their team. For example, the Orioles said "O" for reasons that I hope are obvious. Somehow (this has been discussed here before, I forget what happened exactly) that got brought to Duke. Not only does Duke not start with an O, there isn't a single O in "Duke Blue Devils." That's all I'm saying. I don't know that I would change it now, but I would just as soon had someone come up with something relevant to Duke whenever this started years and years ago.

arob
11-16-2008, 11:23 PM
It's Patti, and yeah, that was atrotious....

Lotus000
11-16-2008, 11:27 PM
It's Patti, and yeah, that was atrotious....

Lord yes it was...

And as to the tradition, yeah, it might be silly, but I've been to O's games before, and well...they really don't do that anymore. Is it silly for us to do it? Since we didn't 'start it?' We started the 'airball' chant, but others do it now, so it 'silly' that they do it? Nah....

It's a Cameron Indoor tradition, so it's golden.

wisteria
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Ah, before this thread becomes a discussion of "O", let me clarify that I didn't mean it was important for people to know when to insert the "O". I was merely stating the fact that the tune was different to a point that it sounded like a different song. :)

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Lord yes it was...

And as to the tradition, yeah, it might be silly, but I've been to O's games before, and well...they really don't do that anymore. Is it silly for us to do it? Since we didn't 'start it?' We started the 'airball' chant, but others do it now, so it 'silly' that they do it? Nah....

It's a Cameron Indoor tradition, so it's golden.

I'm not saying its silly because we stole it, I'm saying its silly because it makes no sense. If we were Oregon, then sure. Or if we were the Syracuse Orange. I don't blame people for doing it now, its always been done and will be. I blame whoever started it. Anyways, sorry to start an argument about this, I'm really just posting to put off a speech I need to write. I thought the girls sounded good at the last game, not sure if it was the same group, but they did take less liberties with the song.

Lotus000
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm not saying its silly because we stole it, I'm saying its silly because it makes no sense. If we were Oregon, then sure. Or if we were the Syracuse Orange. I don't blame people for doing it now, its always been done and will be. I blame whoever started it. Anyways, sorry to start an argument about this, I'm really just posting to put off a speech I need to write. I thought the girls sounded good at the last game, not sure if it was the same group, but they did take less liberties with the song.

Good gravy, no need to feel bad or apologize at all...you bring up a valid point with the introduction of the "O" in the beginning.

As far as it 'making sense,' does "Rock Lobster" make any sense? We aren't in Maine or Mass. Like any other tradition, the point lies in doing it...we do it because we've traditionally done it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

And you're right with the 'taking liberties' point. I don't mind a bit of vibrato on some long-held notes, just don't jack it up like a lot of people do.

Personally, I like the way Cameron does the Nat'l Anthem, usually....what was the name of the gal (read: old lady) who used to do it? She was GREAT. Sad that I can't remember who she was/is.

devildeac
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Good gravy, no need to feel bad or apologize at all...you bring up a valid point with the introduction of the "O" in the beginning.

As far as it 'making sense,' does "Rock Lobster" make any sense? We aren't in Maine or Mass. Like any other tradition, the point lies in doing it...we do it because we've traditionally done it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

And you're right with the 'taking liberties' point. I don't mind a bit of vibrato on some long-held notes, just don't jack it up like a lot of people do.

Personally, I like the way Cameron does the Nat'l Anthem, usually....what was the name of the gal (read: old lady) who used to do it? She was GREAT. Sad that I can't remember who she was/is.

Frances Redding, IIRC.

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Frances Redding, IIRC.

Yep! On the rare occasion that the anthem was all instrumental and people in the stands would sing, there was an older gentleman sitting next to me that had an incredible voice. I believe one time a couple years ago he actually got a chance to sing for Cameron for a game and he did a pretty nice job. I can't remember his name, but him and his wife were just about the nicest people I ever met. They didn't get their tickets again last year, me and my family are hoping that they just didn't want to keep coming to games or that they decided to move somewhere else or something.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Not a love ballad that should be "interpreted" by rock star wannabees.

I've always wished that Cameron could be the one venue where we all actually sang it...out loud and all together! Nobody can follow along when such personal liberties are taken by the show biz types.

The veteran in the seat in front of me who gets to his feet the moment the flag enters the gym and stands at attention for the entire presentation says he feels a little ache in his heart when he hears the anthem used to salve some performer's personal ego. The disrespectful "O" bothers him, too.

I am still baffled as to why Coach K doesn't have some influence over this. He wears his patriotism on his sleeve. I'm sure he must be offended by this "O" silliness.
Love, Ima

Indoor66
11-17-2008, 08:22 AM

I've always wished that Cameron could be the one venue where we all actually sang it...out loud and all together! Nobody can follow along when such personal liberties are taken by the show biz types.

The veteran in the seat in front of me who gets to his feet the moment the flag enters the gym and stands at attention for the entire presentation says he feels a little ache in his heart when he hears the anthem used to salve some performer's personal ego. The disrespectful "O" bothers him, too.

I am still baffled as to why Coach K doesn't have some influence over this. He wears his patriotism on his sleeve. I'm sure he must be offended by this "O" silliness.
Love, Ima

I agree with you on this matter. As to K, maybe he is being a wise captain and selecting battles he can win.

DukeUsul
11-17-2008, 08:42 AM
In Patti's defense, the tune used for the national anthem was a British drinking song long before Francis Scott Key's words were put to it. Maybe she's just old school.

"To ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition....."

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I can't say with certainty exactly when the O started but when I was a freshmen in '90 there were just a handful of students (literally maybe 5 to 10 of them and I would guess they were from Baltimore) who yelled it out during the anthem. The O enjoyed a very brief period of "acceptance" during which I would guess less than 100 students yelled it out. It faded quickly to point that again there were just a couple students who would yell it each game. I think most people just found it silly if not disrespectful. So I was surprised when I saw years later after I graduated that it had become a standard.

I'm not sure what kind of tradition the O is, but most traditions come and go. I'd love to see this one go. At a minimum, it's a stolen concept - not the result of some meaningful experience or even a product of Cameron Crazy creativity. I'm not sure what makes it "golden." At worst, it's offensive to at least some people who attend the games. I would be surprised if many in the crowd find it to be funny, amusing, creative, insert other adjectives here. So, I ask, what's the point?

Ders24
11-17-2008, 10:10 AM

I've always wished that Cameron could be the one venue where we all actually sang it...out loud and all together!

I 100% agree with this and hope it will happen. I also despise the O, if for no other reason than Maryland fans do it in the Comcast Center.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Maybe it's time I should make an "11 J" button!
Love, Ima

Stray Gator
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Since this appears to be an appropriate place for expressing our opinions about current practices and "traditions" in Cameron, here are the things I'd love to see disappear immediately:

1. The "O" during the National Anthem. IMO, it's not only disrespectful, uncreative, and completely unrelated to Duke, but it's simply puerile--without being the least bit funny. For a group that considers itself uniquely clever and distinctively creative, continuing to do this worn out, copied cheer ought to be embarrassing.

2. Singers who perform the National Anthem as if they are auditioning for American Idol. 'Nuff said.

3. The calls for and genuflecting to "Crazy Towel Guy." While I'm sure many will disagree with me, I beg of you: Please, let this "tradition" fade into the obscurity it so richly deserves, and find another source of inspiration for getting fired up. With all due respect to Herb, IMO it is the Duke coaches and the Duke players and the staff and the cheerleaders and the pep band who have earned the cheers and appreciation of the Crazies.

4decadedukie
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
The "O" during the National Anthem. IMO, it's not only disrespectful, uncreative, and completely unrelated to Duke, but it's simply puerile--without being the least bit funny. For a group that considers itself uniquely clever and distinctively creative, continuing to do this worn out, copied cheer ought to be embarrassing.

I agree with Stray.

Having spent over two-decades as an active duty Naval officer (and two more as a retired officer), I cannot adequately articulate how silly, immature, and blatantly offensive I find the "O." There are a few things that simply are too solemn to be trivialized, improvised or modified, and the National Anthem is one of these. Good people have sacrificed and died for Star Spangled Banner, and are – tragically – doing so today. That alone should be sufficient reason to act with respect, dignity, decorum and self-restraint. When Dukies incorporate the “O,” they inadvertently both: (a) show insolence toward our nation and those who serve it and (b) perpetuate an unfortunate and untrue image of Duke, as a place of elitism, arrogance, and self-absorption.

Indoor66
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree with Stray.

Having spent over two-decades as an active duty Naval officer (and two more as a retired officer), I cannot adequately articulate how silly, immature, and blatantly offensive I find the "O." There are a few things that simply are too solemn to be trivialized, improvised or modified, and the National Anthem is one of these. Good people have sacrificed and died for Star Spangled Banner, and are – tragically – doing so today. That alone should be sufficient reason to act with respect, dignity, decorum and self-restraint. When Dukies incorporate the “O,” they inadvertently both: (a) show insolence toward our nation and those who serve it and (b) perpetuate an unfortunate and untrue image of Duke, as a place of elitism, arrogance, and self-absorption.

Well said; I agree. Thank you.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree with Stray.

You've expressed my own opinion better than I ever could do.

I would also say the image of Dukies described above is perpetuated when inappropriate language is regularly inserted into "Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!"

Irreverence seems to be the plight of youth!

Kimist
11-17-2008, 11:55 AM
For my 2¢ worth, I've never liked the "O" thing.

Perhaps the fact I served in the Army (post-Duke graduation - "draft thing" you know) and my daughter is currently in the military is a factor. School spirit or whatever justification aside, I think it cheapens the national anthem just as much as some "singer" destroying the song with a personal rendition.

Also, I believe the NCSU crowd at the recent football game went bonkers when "the rockets RED glare" came along. Comparisons, anyone?

And in a more confusing observation, I cannot honestly believe that such antics do NOT bother Coach K and his family. Have you ever closely watched them (as well as the coaching staff and players) while the anthem is played?

Sorry to ruffle any feathers here.

k

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
For my 2¢ worth, I've never liked the "O" thing.

Perhaps the fact I served in the Army (post-Duke graduation - "draft thing" you know) and my daughter is currently in the military is a factor. School spirit or whatever justification aside, I think it cheapens the national anthem just as much as some "singer" destroying the song with a personal rendition.

Also, I believe the NCSU crowd at the recent football game went bonkers when "the rockets RED glare" came along. Comparisons, anyone?

And in a more confusing observation, I cannot honestly believe that such antics do NOT bother Coach K and his family. Have you ever closely watched them (as well as the coaching staff and players) while the anthem is played?

Sorry to ruffle any feathers here.

k
Many of us are on the same page!

orrnot
11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
There's a way to avoid having the solemnity of the National Anthem sullied by exposure to a wild and crazy sporting event, but I don't think you'd be interested in it.

In all sincerity, I'd be interested in learning the history of playing it at games. Is it an American phenomenon? Did it emerge along with organized spectator sports? or maybe from the wars? Are there sports that are not preceded by it (golf? boxing? horse racing?)

A bit of history I think I am familiar with: In the late 80's-early 90's BOG dorm, the Baltimore-DC area was well represented, and Boggers were normally the only students who did the silly cheer. They were threatened w/loss of Cameron privileges and gave up the practice. By the time it re-emerged in Cameron, BOG was no more. FWIW, I could do without it.

ryan
11-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Love, Ima

I agree with you. I never have felt comfortable when people massacre our anthem, either by impersonating Mariah Carey or by the fans screaming O.

Kudos to the Duke fans for actually taking off their hats. I'm ashamed to say that so many in my generation act like idiots during the anthem.

Devilsfan
11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Ageed on the freelancing of the NA. But the other two points are Duke traditions and if you don't like them try watching the games on TV.

bigj4194
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I thought I would throw in my opinion here. When I was a p-frosh and a freshman/sophmore I thought it was fun and was a unique thing to CIS...however the more I learn about it from Ders24 and others here I am have started to become more and more against it. I attend many of the sporting events and the only one that I will still do the "O" for is the occasional mens basketball game. If the "O" died, i would not be opposed.

devilish
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
3. The calls for and genuflecting to "Crazy Towel Guy." While I'm sure many will disagree with me, I beg of you: Please, let this "tradition" fade into the obscurity it so richly deserves, and find another source of inspiration for getting fired up. With all due respect to Herb, IMO it is the Duke coaches and the Duke players and the staff and the cheerleaders and the pep band who have earned the cheers and appreciation of the Crazies.

Amen, Brother!

DU82
11-28-2008, 08:55 PM
To the person who selects the "performers" for the National Anthem:

Do you not actually listen to the person sing before granting them the privilege of performing our National Anthem in Cameron?

Please, please, please, if that's the best you can find, just let DUMB play, and let the fans sing. (That would be a better prospect than just about any soloist, singers from the Messiah excepted.)

michaelking
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
And I've been in your shoes... Sometimes I get furious (& then down-right irrate when the crazies do their "OHH!") when our anthem gets a little too "bling-bling." Nobody has done it better - or even come CLOSE - to the Frances Redding sound in Cameron.

ALTHOUGH, I must say that my favorite anthem was when Duke hosted Michigan in '00-01 season... the singer forgot the words half-way through the anthem... apoligized frantically, trying to recall the next stanza... and before you knew it, the Crazies picked right up where she left off & the ENTIRE BUILDING finished in unison. I had tears in my eyes... that was some fine stuff there. I had never felt better after singing our nation's anthem... and it was honestly due to that poor girl forgetting the words!

Duke started that game strong also - going on a 30-2 run, demoralizing the Wolverines.

I almost don't want to hear how bad todays was though... Not only do some sound bad, they dress like strippers... was this the same person you're referring to?

DukeDevilDeb
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
To the person who selects the "performers" for the National Anthem:

Do you not actually listen to the person sing before granting them the privilege of performing our National Anthem in Cameron?

Please, please, please, if that's the best you can find, just let DUMB play, and let the fans sing. (That would be a better prospect than just about any soloist, singers from the Messiah excepted.)

Today's National Anthem performance was horrid. The young woman couldn't hit the low notes, couldn't hit the high notes, couldn't remain on key, and on and on... It was downright embarrassing. I don't know who picks these singers, but I would much rather have the band play.

Where oh where is Frances when you need her?

Go Duke (and go away National Anthem singers!)!

michaelking
11-28-2008, 11:00 PM
We need singers...

Ya know - everyone knows that Francis Scott Key wrote the words in B'more, but not many people know that the actual melody to the song was derived from an old English tavern (bar-song)... the name of, I do not know... but to know our anthem was once a song to raise mugs full of brew to...

I think we should have someone who sings it like they're in a pub - have a nice up-beat tempo... I would say we could all raise our pints of beer, but the NCAA wouldn't feel too good 'bout that.

As long as Roseanne doesn't take center-stage, I believe we're going to be just fine.

DU82
11-28-2008, 11:15 PM
We need singers...

As long as Roseanne doesn't take center-stage, I believe we're going to be just fine.

I actually thought of Roseanne during the "performance". That's how bad I thought it was.

nyr484
11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
We need singers...

No we don't... I'm sure the crazies can handle it. Check out what they do at Oilers games at Rexall Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_4BBZtCO1U

Hurley2Hill
11-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Today's anthem was one of the most excruciating musical performances I have ever heard, and I'm a music industry veteran who has seen thousands of concerts from all grades of artists. It was like she was trying to sing in 3 different styles, all of them bad.

DukeUsul
11-28-2008, 11:21 PM
We need singers...

Ya know - everyone knows that Francis Scott Key wrote the words in B'more, but not many people know that the actual melody to the song was derived from an old English tavern (bar-song)... the name of, I do not know... but to know our anthem was once a song to raise mugs full of brew to...

"To Anacreon in Heaven" I believe.

michaelking
11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
now THOSE were the good olde days! argh!

Good job naming that tune. Every time I tell someone about that, they don't believe me... now I have PROOF!!!

DukeCO2009
11-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought today's performance was terrible. As soon as it ended, my friend and I turned to each other and said in unison, "Wow...THAT was awful!"

DukeUsul
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
It was a little pitchy, Dawg.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought today's performance was terrible. As soon as it ended, my friend and I turned to each other and said in unison, "Wow...THAT was awful!"

It took you that long to comment? I'm no Simon Cowell, but after the third word ("can"), I turned to my wife and said "she's HORRIBLE!". I cringed four or five or ten times during her performance. I can only sing about three notes (all wrong), but even I know she changed keys at least three times. She's a little pitchy doesn't do Randy Dawg justice. You have to wonder how this girl was picked to sing today, and none of the images that come to mind are pleasant.

I'm sure she is a nice, fine girl in real life, she may even be a Duke student or alum, so please don't take this as a personal attack. She just can't sing worth a damn.

DukeCO2009
11-29-2008, 12:07 AM
It took you that long to comment? I'm no Simon Cowell, but after the third word ("can"), I turned to my wife and said "she's HORRIBLE!". I cringed four or five or ten times during her performance. I can only sing about three notes (all wrong), but even I know she changed keys at least three times. She's a little pitchy doesn't do Randy Dawg justice. You have to wonder how this girl was picked to sing today, and none of the images that come to mind are pleasant.

I'm sure she is a nice, fine girl in real life, she may even be a Duke student or alum, so please don't take this as a personal attack. She just can't sing worth a damn.

Make no mistake--I certainly gave a few "WTF?" looks to a few of my friends before the song ended. Not a fan of talking during the anthem, but a certain part of me wanted to yell "new singer!" If she somehow ends up singing again, DUMB should just preempt her and start playing before she can open her mouth.

DU82
11-29-2008, 01:07 AM

I know singing in front of one or two people is different than singing for about 9314 However, even giving her that, Mrs. Norm Sloan was better.

Oz, since you brought up AI, I'll add that singing the National Anthem isn't an audition for American Idol. I'm old-fashioned enough to just want it sung straight with no trills or frills. I don't like it when professional singers stylize it, when amateurs do it, we get results like Friday's rendition.

Lavabe
11-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Today's National Anthem performance was horrid. The young woman couldn't hit the low notes, couldn't hit the high notes, couldn't remain on key, and on and on... It was downright embarrassing. I don't know who picks these singers, but I would much rather have the band play.

Where oh where is Frances when you need her?

Go Duke (and go away National Anthem singers!)!

When will Rhythm & Blue sing it this year? Are they scheduled to do so? I believe they're on youtube singing it.

There are PLENTY of talented students who sing on campus. And I would love to see more instrumental versions too. I do, however, wonder whether the screeners should be screened.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
11-29-2008, 08:19 AM
When will Rhythm & Blue sing it this year? Are they scheduled to do so? I believe they're on youtube singing it.

There are PLENTY of talented students who sing on campus. And I would love to see more instrumental versions too. I do, however, wonder whether the screeners should be screened.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Nice plug;). R&B already sang it at the Moose Drool, err, Montana game:D. They were good but "personalized" it just a bit. They were much better just a couple years ago;). BTW, do you have their latest CD "Punch a Higher Floor?

Lavabe
11-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Nice plug. R&B already sang it at the Moose Drool, err, Montana game. They were good but "personalized" it just a bit. They were much better just a couple years ago;). BTW, do you have their latest CD "Punch a Higher Floor?

[snipped first two emoticons]

No I don't. Where does one get it?;)

Is FOTC's "The Humans are Dead" on it?:)

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Make no mistake--I certainly gave a few "WTF?" looks to a few of my friends before the song ended. Not a fan of talking during the anthem, but a certain part of me wanted to yell "new singer!" If she somehow ends up singing again, DUMB should just preempt her and start playing before she can open her mouth.
We were commenting on her singing as well after she finished, but what got me was what I saw before she started. If I were invited to sing national anthem in front of ANY audience, I'd take a little pride in my appearance. Her faded bell bottom blue jeans that covered her shoes would not have made my wardrobe if I were out there honoring my country.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm old-fashioned enough to just want it sung straight with no trills or frills. I don't like it when professional singers stylize it, when amateurs do it, we get results like Friday's rendition.

I agree with you 100%. The Duke Pep Band does it correctly, as does DUMB at football games. Our Duke singing groups are usually fabulous, but should keep the stylizing harmony to a minimum and the pace at normal, not slow.

Lavabe
11-29-2008, 08:59 AM
... if done well. And, IIRC, there are quite a few groups on campus who do them well.

What's the status with Out of the Blue, Lady Blue, and Deja Blue? Women's a capella could be really good with the anthem.

Genuine question: What IS the status with a capella groups on campus?:)

DukeUsul
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I was trying to be nice earlier. I certainly don't mind some reasonable amount of harmony and embellishment. There's certainly a point where it's too much. Today wasn't so much the embellishment as much as I felt bad for the girl being off pitch. I really think she started on too low a pitch (I wonder if she had a pitch-pipe with her) causing her to miss those first few low notes. And then it sounded like she tried to bring it up a few steps - but once you start changing the key in the middle of singing, you're whole center becomes off and I think you have trouble knowing where the rest of the pitches are. I felt bad for her.

devildeac
11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
[snipped first two emoticons]

No I don't. Where does one get it?;)

Is FOTC's "The Humans are Dead" on it?:)

We MIGHT have several for sale;).

The R&B cover of "The Humans are Dead" can only be seen on youtube. It was added to their playlist after they recorded "Punch a Higher Floor." They performed it during freshman orientation, August, 2007 and received some very complimentary comments from FOTC themselves on their web site after they viewed the cover on youtube.

devildeac
11-29-2008, 10:26 AM
... if done well. And, IIRC, there are quite a few groups on campus who do them well.

What's the status with Out of the Blue, Lady Blue, and Deja Blue? Women's a capella could be really good with the anthem.

Genuine question: What IS the status with a capella groups on campus?:)

I don't know the status of many of the a capella groups on campus but could easily refer you to someone who MIGHT be able to give you an update:D.

Devilsfan
11-29-2008, 11:23 AM
It was embarassing yesterday.

DukeDevilDeb
11-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Since this appears to be an appropriate place for expressing our opinions about current practices and "traditions" in Cameron, here are the things I'd love to see disappear immediately:

1. The "O" during the National Anthem. IMO, it's not only disrespectful, uncreative, and completely unrelated to Duke, but it's simply puerile--without being the least bit funny. For a group that considers itself uniquely clever and distinctively creative, continuing to do this worn out, copied cheer ought to be embarrassing.

2. Singers who perform the National Anthem as if they are auditioning for American Idol. 'Nuff said.

I have never, never, never understood the students' reaction to the Crazy Towel Guy. Yes, he is a long-time and ardent fan. Many of us have been here as long as or long than he has. At several games this year and over the last four years, the cheering for the Crazy Towel Guy has been louder than anything in support of the team/cheerleaders/band/staff.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to end it is for Herb to do so. And I seriously doubt that will happen!

Go Duke!

Devilhawks
11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I have never, never, never understood the students' reaction to the Crazy Towel Guy. Yes, he is a long-time and ardent fan. Many of us have been here as long as or long than he has. At several games this year and over the last four years, the cheering for the Crazy Towel Guy has been louder than anything in support of the team/cheerleaders/band/staff.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to end it is for Herb to do so. And I seriously doubt that will happen!

Go Duke!

I agree -- our energy should be spent elsewhere