PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Rhode Island

Jumbo
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Rhode Island? (Wish I could split my vote ...)

sue71, esq
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Rhode Island? (Wish I could split my vote ...)

Wish I could split mine too between JS & KS, but 13/13 from the line is what did it for me.

Native
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Scheyer or Kyle.

Scheyer with 100% from FT, and clutch scoring.

Singler with a clutch defensive play.

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Scheyer or Singler... but I am SO happy with how LT played.:)

DukieInBrasil
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Scheyer got my vote because of his FT shooting, a perfect 13. Singler made some great clutch FTs too. Jon, by a nose...

Kilby
11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Can someone who saw the game please explain to me how Henderson only gets 6 shots in 37 min. Scheyer got probably 18 shots (12 plus estimated shots he got foul calls) and Singler got probably 16 shots. Evan Nolan got over 10 shots. I can't believe it. Henderson hits 66% and only gets 6 shots.

Bluedog
11-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Can someone who saw the game please explain to me how Henderson only gets 6 shots in 37 min.

Because Hendo only played 22 min as he was in foul trouble.

mapei
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I voted for Kyle over Jon because of defense and rebounds, but Jon deserved it as much. Baron was the real best player in the game, but his name wasn't on the ballot.

Cavlaw
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Wish I could split mine too between JS & KS, but 13/13 from the line is what did it for me.
Yeah, that is the key stat line for Duke in this game. A free throw performance similar to what we saw last week would have ruined the weekend for us.

dukebluelemur
11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Can someone who saw the game please explain to me how Henderson only gets 6 shots in 37 min. Scheyer got probably 18 shots (12 plus estimated shots he got foul calls) and Singler got probably 16 shots. Evan Nolan got over 10 shots. I can't believe it. Henderson hits 66% and only gets 6 shots.

As mentioned, he was limited by foul trouble.

Other than that, no one to blame but Henderson himself. He, more than anyone else on the team, is perfectly capable of creating his own shot... hard to blame anyone else when he just isnt taking them.

Jumbo
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Henderson didn't play 37 minutes. The official box score isn't up yet, but it wasn't close to that. Anyway, Henderson was in foul trouble most of the game. And when he wasn't in foul trouble, he floated on offense. A couple of those baskets were dunks in transition. When he got in late after a long stint on the bench, G made a nice, assertive drive to the certain of the lane for a runner. But otherwise, he just didn't take any initiative.

With Gerald on the bench/ineffective, Duke ran its offense through Singler and Scheyer in the second half.

mgtr
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I chose Scheyer, but it was a coin toss between him and Singler. Both did great. We would have been in deep trouble without their heart.

Kilby
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry. Thought I saw a boxscore that said 37 min.

jipops
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Is Jimmy Baron really not a valid vote?

I'm going Kyle for the 3rd straight time just edging out Scheyer... for the 3rd straight time.

It's not a slight to Jon, it's just that Kyle is ridiculously good and seems to carry this team. He's been the best player on the floor at both ends.

JDev
11-16-2008, 07:59 PM
This one is as tough a decision as they come. Ultimately I went with Singler, as he was very assertive down the stretch taking the ball to the basket and finishing or getting to the line, and his clutch defense late, particularly the last play. But a vote for Jon or Kyle would not be a vote ill-cast.

Jumbo
11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Obviously, this is a clear-cut case where Co-MOTM is in order. Singler was particularly fantastic in the last couple of minutes -- the three off a curl at the top of they, three or four excellent drives that ended in that reverse layup and free throws, the switch out onto Baron to disrupt that jump shot, etc. He was fantastic. I went with Scheyer just barely, though, becuse he played the entire second half and made plays to steady Duke when the team was really on the brink of falling out of the game. He did an amazing job of getting to the hoop, either to score, draw a foul or set up a teammate. That area of his game is so mature -- I can't wait until his jump shot starts falling to match it.

ricks68
11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Lance has been playing so well this year. Those extra pounds of muscle have evidently added a lot to his agility on both ends of the court. Had to go with Kyle over Jon, however; but maybe should have gone with Jon; or maybe just stick with Kyle; but Jon might have really been better all around; etc., etc., etc.

Forget the grammar, both Kyle and Jon have stepped it up for all three games so far, along with others. What a game! :D

ricks

Madrasdukie
11-16-2008, 08:06 PM
There has been a precedence for co-winners !!

While Jon takes a very very close second, I have to go with Singler - loved his composure and fearlessness - the fact that he converted on all those plays I really think is secondary to the fact that he did it with such poise. It definetly bodes well.

Loved Lance's confidence and finishing ability.

devildeac
11-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Scheyer (by a FT-or 13;))

Saratoga2
11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I voted for Scheyer but thought Singler was really a co-MVP for the game.

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I gave it to Scheyer, 13/13 from the line sealed it for me. If I could split it, I'd go about 60/40 Scheyer/Singler. I have a feeling I'll be splitting my vote between the two of them a lot this year. It'll be fun to watch them, especially once the team starts to click.

bigj4194
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Scheyer won it for me...he seemed the most aggressive out there and the most comfortable in the hard situations. He was willing to drive and take the hits. This is not to say that Kyle wasn't willing to do this, it just seemed that Jon did it more often.

As a side note, after Kyle hit a three late in the second half that was followed closely by a timeout, Coach Collins went up to Kyle and said "Shoot the (swear-word) ball". Seems like the coaches were looking for a go to person to be aggressive.

FireOgilvie
11-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I give it to Singler because of his 5 assists.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I give it to Singler because of his 5 assists.

That's a nice stat, and it's even more meaningful given that he had 5 of our 9 total assists. Ugh. We need a PG in the worst way, but for now Kyle has really done a good job of being a point-forward in the Ferry style. I voted for Jon, because he was more consistent throughout, but that assist line really speaks to how vital Kyle is to our team. Not bad for the second week of his soph season.

arob
11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
scheyer for his clutch free throws

merry
11-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Obviously, this is a clear-cut case where Co-MOTM is in order.

Maybe so, but Scheyer has more than twice as many votes as Singler right now. I voted for Singler myself ut cold make a case for either one.

watzone
11-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Scheyer - 5 of 12 from the field, 0-2 from three, 13 of 13 free throws, 3 rebounds, 23 points, 1 assist, 1 TO, 1 Block, 0 steals Hit two free throws at 3 seconds left for a three point lead.

Singler - 6 of 14 from the field, 3 of 8 three pointers (team had 4 three point shot, so Singler had 3 of em), 6 of 8 free throws, 5 rebounds, 21 points, 5 assists, 3 TO's, 1 block and 1 steal. Hit two free throws at the 19 seconds mark to put Duke ahead. Took the ball to the hole and commanded the foul. Had two FT's at 57 second to put Duke ahead.

It is indeed a push, but if a gun were to my head, I'd say Singler in that he achored the paint the whole game and played good D - not that Scheyer didn't. SIngler 51, Scheyer 49, but let's call them co man of the match.

mehmattski
11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Once again, it was close between Singler and Scheyer, and once again my gut says Singler. Scheyer's free throws won the game, but it's not even a close game without Singler's determination under the basket.

My honorable mention goes to Dave McClure, who finally picked up the 5-second call on the red hot Baron late in the game. That was the emotional turning point for me!

wisteria
11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Ah... don't get me started with the 5-second calls... Yikes...:mad:

ncexnyc
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
As they say in, "Highlander", "There can be only one" and my vote went to Jon.

weezie
11-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Scheyer or Singler... but I am SO happy with how LT played.:)

Seeing LT join the party this year is very encouraging so far...

Carlos
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Singler (or, for any former Duke coaches doing color commentary, Singular) was tremendous but for me this was a no-brainer. Scheyer really carried Duke's offense. In the second half almost everything ran through Jon and he consistently beat his man off the dribble.

And, as odd as it sounds to say when you're talking about a guy who shot 8-10 from three, but I thought Jon did a great job defending Baron. Sometimes a great shooter goes all JJ on you and it doesn't matter what kind of defense you're playing.

Johnboy
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Word. This is my sentiment exactly. Slight edge to JS, but KS was magnificent as well.