PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

dukebsbll14
11-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok I may be a little obsessed, but this question has been driving me crazy...

I've been to two games this year; Blue-White Scrimmage and VA Union game. I'm not a student (but hopefully I will-I'd be Pratt '14) and the pep band played this one song that I really liked and have never heard...It starts off really slow; all the crazies, cheerleaders, and blue devil clap slowly. Then the Blue Devil jumped onto the ledge of student section (except this only happened at Blue-White game) and the bands music started playing very fast paced and all the crazies started jumping up and down. I was just wondering if anyone knew what this song is called because I can't find it anywhere and I just really wanted to know:) Thanks

GO DUKE!

LetItBD08
11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
That would be Cascada's "Everytime We Touch"
Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0GmiSMNGI

The phenomenon started last season. It is definitely something that the student section looks forward to during TV timeouts (with a couple of exceptions here and there).

Former related DBR thread: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5484

wisteria
11-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I love this one!

When I first heard it, it took me by surprise. I was like..."why so slow?" And all of a sudden, craziness began. :D I've definitely been looking forward to this one every time I attend the game.

weezie
11-16-2008, 09:39 AM
It does look like great fun from where we sit up with the oldsters. I tried a little clapping and jumping last year but the disapproving stares I noticed were pretty embarrassing :o
But then again, being a Dukie sometimes means not giving a hoot :p

dukebsbll14
11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok thanks:)

Yeah, I remember during Blue-white game, all the students wanted to do that one and everyone was disappointed when we didn't...lol

Raleighfan
11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I'll step forward right now and identify myself as the probably the only Duke fan in WW and CIS who absolutely HATES this cheer. And to think there's four more months of listening to it....GACK! Gosh, I feel better for having written this!

LetItBD08
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I'll step forward right now and identify myself as the probably the only Duke fan in WW and CIS who absolutely HATES this cheer. And to think there's four more months of listening to it....GACK! Gosh, I feel better for having written this!

Well, you're not the only one. I had a couple of friends last year (we all graduated now unfortunately) who would stand there deliberately cross-armed during the song.

I got to admit, I despise the song, but I do enjoy the cheer. It strikes the resonance frequency of the student section just right given our adrenaline at that moment in the game.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-16-2008, 10:44 AM
It does look like great fun from where we sit up with the oldsters. I tried a little clapping and jumping last year but the disapproving stares I noticed were pretty embarrassing :o
But then again, being a Dukie sometimes means not giving a hoot :p

Don't let a few old fogies stop you! I still haven't had success at getting those around me up and off their behinds, but at least they now all get a kick out of MY dance routine. My teenaged grandson gets up with me and we have at it. Maybe you should just come sit with ME!

Love, Ima

blazindw
11-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I do love "Everytime We Touch". When I came to a game last year and sat in the student section...it was wild! What I do not like, however, is that it has seemed to replace "Rock Lobster", which is the greatest cheerleader dance of all time. Keep "EWT", bring back "Rock Lobster!"

phaedrus
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think they've given up on Rock Lobster. I've heard it at least a couple times this year - not sure if it's been every game though.

juise
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I am also from the Class of Duhon ('04), but unlike blazindw, I have not been back to Cameron yet. It sounds like EWT is one of the better Crazy traditions since we left. Does anyone have a YouTube video of it from Cameron?

(FWIW, I was never nearly as big on the Rock Lobster as my friends were, but I appreciated the dance for the crowd participation aspect.)

Edouble
11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think they've given up on Rock Lobster. I've heard it at least a couple times this year - not sure if it's been every game though.

Agree, I heard Rock Lobster at the Lenior-Rhyne game, so I don't think it's been replaced. That would be tragic. :p

mehmattski
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I am also from the Class of Duhon ('04), but unlike blazindw, I have not been back to Cameron yet. It sounds like EWT is one of the better Crazy traditions since we left. Does anyone have a YouTube video of it from Cameron?

(FWIW, I was never nearly as big on the Rock Lobster as my friends were, but I appreciated the dance for the crowd participation aspect.)

I'll bring my camera today and see if I can get a video of it.

LetItBD08
11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Not sure about this year, but for the past four years Rock Lobster=1st timeout of the second half.

Cascada usually comes a little later in the second half.

hedgehog
11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I would love to here them play "Chameleon" more frequently. I just hope they get rid of "Cheeseburger in Paradise"

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 08:33 PM
While we're talking about songs we should/shouldn't play, what happened to playing "Hey Baby" during games. At one point last game the students started singing it on their own and the band ended up playing something else. I love the arrangement we play for that song, and its fun to see all the Crazies sing along. Someone who knows the band director please bring that one back!

Ders24
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
While we're talking about songs we should/shouldn't play, what happened to playing "Hey Baby" during games. At one point last game the students started singing it on their own and the band ended up playing something else. I love the arrangement we play for that song, and its fun to see all the Crazies sing along. Someone who knows the band director please bring that one back!

100% agree. I miss Hey Baby. But love Cascada, so it would be great to have them both.

MADevil30
11-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, you're not the only one. I had a couple of friends last year (we all graduated now unfortunately) who would stand there deliberately cross-armed during the song.

I got to admit, I despise the song, but I do enjoy the cheer. It strikes the resonance frequency of the student section just right given our adrenaline at that moment in the game.

During the Georgia Southern game our section (undergrads closest to the grads) started singing "Hey Baby" until we got drowned out by cascada. I can't tell you how disappointed I was

EDIT: I didn't see those last two posts, but clearly I agree, I love Hey Baby

bigj4194
11-16-2008, 09:26 PM

The Rock Lobster is always the first TV timeout of the second half.

as for Hey Baby...I was one of the people who started singing it. I do miss it...according to some of my friends in DUMB it will be brought back soon (ie once the cheerleaders learn the dance for it). Apparently it is the cheerleaders who determine what the band plays as they need to know what dance to do

arob
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
For those Duke grads who will appreciate this, when the band starts EWT, the some in the crowd start cheering, "We're going to shooters!"

PumpkinFunk
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
As bigj said, Rock Lobster is always the first timeout (TV or called) of the second half.

We have the music for Hey Baby, but as bigj also said, the cheerleaders dictate a lot of our music choice for the TV timeouts, because they do routines during them. I'd expect better music to start being played next semester - for now, we're left playing fight songs many times during long timeouts, whereas we normally don't play them except in called timeouts near the end of a close game (as in today)

Acymetric
11-16-2008, 11:09 PM
As bigj said, Rock Lobster is always the first timeout (TV or called) of the second half.

We have the music for Hey Baby, but as bigj also said, the cheerleaders dictate a lot of our music choice for the TV timeouts, because they do routines during them. I'd expect better music to start being played next semester - for now, we're left playing fight songs many times during long timeouts, whereas we normally don't play them except in called timeouts near the end of a close game (as in today)

I don't know what its been like the past two years, because I've been away, but before that Hey Baby was played every game (am I wrong? Someone feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure it was a staple). Its a fun song, the crowd sings a long, and if I have to start writing letters to the cheerleading coach to start doing this song I might do it. We've already missed 3 games. Hey Baby is not the song to cut, in my opinion, even if they plan to learn it next semester. Put off another song and work on the routine for this one.

bigj4194
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm with you Acymetric...my frosh and soph years it was played every game, and then last year it was rare and this year they haven't played it. I'll be the second signature on your letter if you want me to be :)

wisteria
11-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Are we collecting signatures? Add mine as well~~;):D

wisteria
11-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Since we are at it, anyone knows who is this old gentleman sitting somewhere on top of the Grad-section and playing a trumpet (?). It was funny. If he keeps playing in future, and the students catch on, we could have ourselves a "crazy trumpet guy" or something like that.

Acymetric
11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Since we are at it, anyone knows who is this old gentleman sitting somewhere on top of the Grad-section and playing a trumpet (?). It was funny. If he keeps playing in future, and the students catch on, we could have ourselves a "crazy trumpet guy" or something like that.

He used to sit across from the opposing team's bench a few rows up. There were times in the past where he would be playing, and the pep band would come in, and the student section would boo the band for cutting him off. Good stuff.

mehmattski
11-17-2008, 12:28 AM

I remember him being at a number of games when I was an undergrad, particularly in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. He used to be behind the undergrads, and we would always cheer when he hit the high notes.

Devilhawks
11-17-2008, 03:04 AM
I remember him being at a number of games when I was an undergrad, particularly in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. He used to be behind the undergrads, and we would always cheer when he hit the high notes.

The band cut him off today -- I couldn't believe it. They got a chorus of boos for that one... Pumpkin Funk, can you explain how much control the band director has over when the band plays? Is it his call, or does he follow something else (cheerleaders, etc.)?

PumpkinFunk
11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
The band cut him off today -- I couldn't believe it. They got a chorus of boos for that one... Pumpkin Funk, can you explain how much control the band director has over when the band plays? Is it his call, or does he follow something else (cheerleaders, etc.)?

I can't answer in any official sense, only by what I know. I know that we have a limited time to play the fight song/other stuff in pre-game, and there are a lot of songs that includes (Can't, Blue & White, Fight Fight/Dixie, Zing It, Satan, Devil, Everytime). There's a certain set of songs we always play, and it's the drum majors who count us off to start playing them. To answer: I don't know who makes the call, but we do have reasons for doing it. He also can get quite hard to hear from our side of the stadium if you have people talking around you, and it's totally possible that our drum majors, who have a radio from Athletics/Promotions telling them things much of the game (such as when they can/can't play), may not realize that he's playing until it's too late.

Devilhawks
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

wisteria
11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Completely off-topic...

I'm going to admit my total ignorance of US history (foreigner, you see), as well as general knowledge in music... The tune the gentleman was playing sounded like it belongs to battlefield, and somebody near me was saying something about civil war. So I thought it was quite funny, being that we were playing against a team from the north. However, I don't know if that's truly the case. I was annoyed because others around me were apparently laughing knowingly, and I was left there wondering..:D Anyone please enlighten me?

Oh, and the students were chanting some cheer every time he plays that tune.. And I don't know what that was either.

VAGentleman05
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
I had been wondering exactly the same thing. Thanks for clearing it up!

mehmattski
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I'll bring my camera today and see if I can get a video of it.

Sorry it took so long to upload this, but I did take a video of the Crazies going nuts for "Every time we touch." Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1373262126845251530&hl=en

Highlander
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM

If it's the guy I think you're talking about (in his late 70s at least, white hair), I know him. Family friend, long time Duke supporter. He has sometimes played with DUMB, but he has tried to upstage them sometimes too, so has been asked to leave on occasion. I know he's gone to away tourneys (like Hawaii) and played solo a few times. He stood in front of my wife in the FF game in 1999 when she was in the band and she's still sore about it to this day.