PDA

View Full Version : Opponent FT Shooting in Cameron

III
11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey all,

The analysis is admittedly a little late, but I ran through the 2007-2008 home games and calculated some basic numbers on how well opponents shot from the charity stripe in Cameron last year.

The biggest results:

- 13 of 16 teams shot worse in Cameron than their average on the season.
- 4 of 16 teams shot at least 10% worse in Cameron.
- On average, teams shot 6% worse in Cameron.
- Eastern Kentucky shot best here, going 7-8 (87.5%), while shooting 71.9% on the season.
- Clemson shot worse at our house, going 10-23 (43.5%), while shooting 62.3% on the year, a difference of nearly 19%.

I posted the numbers for each game here (http://www.3stylelife.com/?p=434).

What I'd really like is access to a better statistical database (better than scrounging espn.com), even if it only had ACC data or something. Then I could put my math major to work and do some legitimate statistical analysis, with larger sample sizes. Any suggestions?

ikiru36
11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I'd be interested to have Cameron compared specifically with the opponent's Road FT%. I actually don't know what the typical effect is between home and road for most teams but it seems to me the comparison would be more useful removing other team's shooting at home.

Thanks!!!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!

III
11-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree, these kind of things are exactly why I'd like better data sources!

JEA
11-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Have you checked out Basketball State (http://www.bbstate.com/)? I don't personally know if it would have what you need (and there's a subscription fee) but there's definitely a lot of info there. And I'm sure Kyle, who runs the site, would be able to help you figure out if the info is there if you e-mailed him.

mehmattski
11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I'd like to see opponent free throw percentage broken down by which distraction the grad section does.

Speedo Guy is definitely at 0%, albeit with a small sample size...