PDA

View Full Version : When a new coach comes are players allowed to transfer?

Kewlswim
03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi,

I was just curious if as a matter of policy (regardless of sport) Duke allows all players who want to, to transfer if a new head coach is named?

GO DUKE!

DU82
03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I was just curious if as a matter of policy (regardless of sport) Duke allows all players who want to, to transfer if a new head coach is named?

GO DUKE!

I doubt we've stopped too many student-athletes from transferring in the past, I wouldn't think we would if a coach left.

Anybody transferring in football or basketball (or ice hockey, guess there's a lot of competition for those athletes up north) would still have to sit out a year (other than incoming freshmen who haven't already participated in a practice or enrolled and attended a class, and who have been released from their letter of intent.)

Kewlswim
03-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I doubt we've stopped too many student-athletes from transferring in the past, I wouldn't think we would if a coach left.

Anybody transferring in football or basketball (or ice hockey, guess there's a lot of competition for those athletes up north) would still have to sit out a year (other than incoming freshmen who haven't already participated in a practice or enrolled and attended a class, and who have been released from their letter of intent.)

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation.

GO DUKE!

mgtr
03-31-2007, 07:46 AM
So maybe the parallel question should be, "Do major universities typically release incoming freshmen from their letters of intent if their is a coaching change prior to their arrival?" I think that did happen at NC State with the Sendek-Lowe change, didn't it?

Troublemaker
03-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes, matriculating freshmen can be released and they don't have to sit out a year.

Clipsfan
03-31-2007, 10:13 AM
So maybe the parallel question should be, "Do major universities typically release incoming freshmen from their letters of intent if their is a coaching change prior to their arrival?" I think that did happen at NC State with the Sendek-Lowe change, didn't it?

They don't always, but I think that they often do release the players. The morale would be incredibly low if people who didn't have any true ties to the institution (have never set foot on campus as a student-athlete) were forced to attend.

mgtr
03-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Clipsfan-
Excellent point. Some teams already have enough problems without adding that one.