PDA

View Full Version : Clemson 31, Duke 7 (FB)

killerleft
11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Football Saturday!

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/11/14/Football/Duke-Lines.Up.With.Struggling.Clemson-3544434-page2.shtml

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Football Saturday!

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/11/14/Football/Duke-Lines.Up.With.Struggling.Clemson-3544434-page2.shtml

Our players' attitudes going into this game are great. They have to believe they can win or they don't stand a chance in this game or any remaining games. We should be past being apologists..... that goes for fans as well.

Thanks for bringing this article to the board.

wolfpackdevil
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
This should be a good, competitive ACC game that is important for both teams. This looks to be shaping up a lot like the Vandy game earlier this year. Duke is coming off a tough, home ACC lost, and the game has been under the radar all week. Clemson is slumping, and does not look like the usuall tough Clemson teams.

If the play calling, enthusiasm, and overall toughness of the Devils is better tomorrow, than Duke should have a good chance to win.

They are a 12 1/2 point underdog, but that does not mean much for the Devils.

I think Thad and company will have a good game, and Duke will win a close, offensive struggle, 17-10.

Opinions and Comments for the game post below,

RelativeWays
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm sad that nobody has commented on this at all, but its turns out what I thought last week was true, the loss to State would pretty much shoot the football teams relevance in the foot, now that BBall season is under way.

It will be very difficult for Duke to win any of the remaining 3 games, since VT, Clemson and UNC pretty much eclipse Duke in the talent area. That doesn't mean Duke cannot win, but they have to play pretty much mistake free AND they need to seize redzone opportunities. I thought at the beginning of the season if Duke could finish 5-7 that would be one hell of an accomplishment. Now it would be even more so becasue even at their worst, these 3 teams will be very hard for Duke to overcome. The boys have nothing to lose and everything to gain for the program by stealing a win somewhere in November. It can be done, but they need to play a lot better than they did against WF and NCSU.

wolfpackdevil
11-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm sad that nobody has commented on this at all, but its turns out what I thought last week was true, the loss to State would pretty much shoot the football teams relevance in the foot, now that BBall season is under way.

It will be very difficult for Duke to win any of the remaining 3 games, since VT, Clemson and UNC pretty much eclipse Duke in the talent area. That doesn't mean Duke cannot win, but they have to play pretty much mistake free AND they need to seize redzone opportunities. I thought at the beginning of the season if Duke could finish 5-7 that would be one hell of an accomplishment. Now it would be even more so becasue even at their worst, these 3 teams will be very hard for Duke to overcome. The boys have nothing to lose and everything to gain for the program by stealing a win somewhere in November. It can be done, but they need to play a lot better than they did against WF and NCSU.

Yes, I completely agree.

And it is pretty sad that once the Basketball season started, Duke FOOTBALL talk on DBR pretty much died.

I know this is Duke BASKETBALL Report, but this has been a great year for football, and this site was loaded with football stories and threads. So its pretty upsetting that when duke basketball starts playing teams like Presbytarian and Georgia Southern, football was pretty much out of the picture.

I hope a big win for the Devils tomorrow will spark up the football talk here for the remaining month of Duke's season

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the game on TV and listening to Bob Harris on the radio. This team has already demonstrated that Duke shouldn't expect to lose in football. I like their attitude and their work ethic. Look for the Devils to take that Tiger by the tail.......

GO DUKE! Beat Clemson!

shadowfax336
11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, I completely agree.

And it is pretty sad that once the Basketball season started, Duke FOOTBALL talk on DBR pretty much died.

I know this is Duke BASKETBALL Report, but this has been a great year for football, and this site was loaded with football stories and threads. So its pretty upsetting that when duke basketball starts playing teams like Presbytarian and Georgia Southern, football was pretty much out of the picture.

I hope a big win for the Devils tomorrow will spark up the football talk here for the remaining month of Duke's season

wait we're still playing football?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the game on TV and listening to Bob Harris on the radio. This team has already demonstrated that Duke shouldn't expect to lose in football. I like their attitude and their work ethic. Look for the Devils to take that Tiger by the tail.......

GO DUKE! Beat Clemson!

I plan to be planted in front of my TV at noon, rather than playing golf. No loss of interest in this team, which has, and is, making huge strides forward. Three games left to win two and gain bowl eligibility - a very tough order but doable. Today's "over-under" is 42. I'll take the under, Duke winning 20 - 16. Vince Oghobaase, Mike Tauiliili and Vinnie Rey have huge games stopping the Tigers often enough, and holding them to FG's often enough, for Duke to win. Someone on our D is going to score a touchdown today.

captmojo
11-15-2008, 10:18 AM
and Duke will win a close, offensive struggle, 17-10.

I must ask, is 17-10 an offensive struggle ... or is that a struggle to create offense?

I pick higher numbers for both, with the Devils prevailing at 28- 24.

Acymetric
11-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Just about an hour and a half 'till kickoff...can't wait for this game to get started.

Also, and this is probably the only time you'll hear me say this, but go Maryland! Beat those heels!

Acymetric
11-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Everyone getting ready to sit down and watch the game? Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Check! Waiting for the coin toss.

Acymetric
11-15-2008, 12:03 PM
This news business on WRAL is going to end when the game starts, right?

DukeUsul
11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
No. WRAL is sticking with this tornado story. They said the game is going to be on one of their alternate digital channels (carried on TWC 256).

For those of us on DirecTV without an over the air antenna to pick it up, we're out of luck. Thankfully at least I can get ESPN360 at home, so it sounds like I'll be watching on the computer.

Acymetric
11-15-2008, 12:07 PM
No. WRAL is sticking with this tornado story. They said the game is going to be on one of their alternate digital channels (carried on TWC 256).

For those of us on DirecTV without an over the air antenna to pick it up, we're out of luck. Thankfully at least I can get ESPN360 at home, so it sounds like I'll be watching on the computer.

Off to channel 256 then. Shame we'll miss out on the HD, oh well. Anyone going to snrub for this game?

DukeUsul
11-15-2008, 12:07 PM
WTF! ESPN360 is blacking it out for me since it knows I'm in Durham.

>!J!&^!@$#*&^!@*&!@&*

cbfx3
11-15-2008, 12:10 PM
as a directv subscriber I am beside myself.. I can get as much info as I want on the weather ONLINE. WRAL blew it

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Tornado coverage on WRAL in the Triangle area so I'll try 256.

DukeUsul
11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
as a directv subscriber I am beside myself.. I can get as much info as I want on the weather ONLINE. WRAL blew it

If it were a current emergency situation I'd understand, but it's been quite some time since the tornado went through.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Defense holds and clumpson punts to about our 25 yard line with a favorable bounce for us.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
anybody on the snrub?

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Duke punt and a TB. clempson on their own 20

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
long punt by the tiggers and we take over on our 17

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Defense holds and clumpson punts to about our 25 yard line with a favorable bounce for us.

I'm dead in the water here at Hyco Lake with this #@$!% Direct TV!:mad:

Bless your heart.
Love, Ima

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:33 PM
poor punt by jones after a 3 and out for us. clemson takes over at about their 40

moonpie23
11-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Great.......so WRAL gives their regular watchers weather "news " on a beautiful sunny day, while the Time warner subscribers get to watch the game...

Newsroom: (919) 821-8600 or (800) 245-WRAL

call em...

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
lewis ankle being taped and he's in a lot of pain-I think we'll see a lot of Zack the rest of the day

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
respress hurt also but walking

Lid
11-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the number. I just called, and was told they'll start broadcasting it in 15 minutes. Woo hoo!

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
3rd and 4 with a sack and an illegal procedure penalty so we punt from our 10

wandalee
11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
We were told it would start back at 1:10

moonpie23
11-15-2008, 12:47 PM
let's keep calling.....and remind them that this "news" they are covering during OUR game happened LAST NIGHT!!!!!

grrrrrrr...

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
report from the sidelines-looks like Thad out for the rest of the game with a foot/ankle injury

sagegrouse
11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Game is being shown on WTTG Channel 5 in Washington, DC.

I may not watch it much longer unless the Devils show some spark. Ugggghhh!

sagegrouse

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Got Bob Harris on 620 now. Ugh. This does not sound good. Lewis is obviously done, according to these guys. :(

Love, Ima

RelativeWays
11-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Looks like FDA is going to get his wish. Lets see what Asack does for the rest of the game.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 12:58 PM
huge holding flag vs clempson stalls their drive, our D holds and they miss a FG. They had a TD taken away by the flag

killerleft
11-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Perhaps Zack's posture so far isn't good.

ChrisP
11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Looks like FDA is going to get his wish. Lets see what Asack does for the rest of the game.

FDA must be jumping for joy. I like Asack and hope he does well, but from what I've seen this year, Lewis is our best (and to be brutally honest) only passer. Prove me wrong, Zack!

devildeac
11-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Perhaps Zack's posture so far isn't good.

Maybe he's too tall:rolleyes:

DownEastDevil
11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
let's keep calling.....and remind them that this "news" they are covering during OUR game happened LAST NIGHT!!!!!

grrrrrrr...

I can honestly say the weather report is more exciting than Duke's offense and defense right now. Looks like a carry over from last week.

God bless the families of Johnston and Wilson counties that went thru the tornado last night. It was right over my house about 3:30 am and it was not fun.

killerleft
11-15-2008, 01:08 PM
One thing's for sure. No offense = tired defense.

ChrisP
11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I would MUCH rather our D have third and short than 3rd and long. Clemson has converted at least 2 times in third and over 10 (I think one was 3rd and 20!!!). Seems like when we really need a stop, we can't get a pass rush and we absolutely cannot cover anyone deep down the field.

killerleft
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
10-0. Gotta get some offense going or the second half might be rough!

ChrisP
11-15-2008, 01:13 PM
One thing's for sure. No offense = tired defense.

Word! Same ole, same ole, I'm afraid...

RelativeWays
11-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm hoping that all the new recruits we have coming in will help Coach Cut establish a solid O and D rotation and give us some more depth. I'd say athleticism and depth are the two things Duke football needs most. It'll take a couple of years to get that in place so don't be surprised if we go 4-8 or 5-7 next year as well.

wandalee
11-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Just called WRAL again. They now say they're not sure when they will switch to football - maybe 1:30

ChrisP
11-15-2008, 01:18 PM
How many times are we going to have Asack run it up the middle on 1st down?!

Thad being hurt gives us no chance to win IMHO because we haven't been able to establish a running game most of the season and running seems to be what ZA does best. You do the math...

This is shaping up to be a "typical" Duke FB game - D plays well for most of the game, but no "O" so the defense gets tired at the end and we lose a game that is probably winnable with just a halfway decent offensive performance. Bummer.

killerleft
11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Man, we needed a first down! None so far. Zack takes over a non-functioning offense, but just has to get us going. First couple passes don't bode well.

killerleft
11-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Sad tackling on touchdown. 17-0.

DownEastDevil
11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm no defensive wizard, but why would you let Spiller come out of the backfield with no coverage?

Indoor66
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
The announcers on TV are extremely complementary of the Duke team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Maybe he's too tall:rolleyes:
No, he runs too much.

Diddy
11-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Cut has done a wonderful job, but the truth is that Duke is a few years away from being competitive week in and week out. We won some good games early, but that was a false positive.

We were competitive against the weaker teams on our schedule. And that is great, because in the past we weren't even capable of that low level of play. But now that we are into the meat of the schedule, other teams have too much talent for us.

The downside of winning early is that the teams are now taking Duke seriously. We beat a few teams early because they looked past us. That is not the case now. Teams are obviously preparing for Duke, and not looking past us.

We are a few years away. Some more good recruits from Cut for Depth, and we might get there. A Bowl may be possible next year, but probably not this year.

Blowing wins vs NW and WFU doomed our bowl hopes. There are no more winnable games on the Sched. UNC is too good, and playing too well, for us to take them. Kudos on the improvement team, you are almost there.

AtlBluRew
11-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Cut has done a wonderful job .... Kudos on the improvement team, you are almost there.

Agreed!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Rebuilding a program is not for sissies or wimps. Regardless of how anyone outside the program analyzes this game and the rest of the season, the process of rebuilding will continue. When the men's basketball program dipped after Vic Bubas exited, some fans bailed and later returned when things began to look good again. The same is likely to happen as the football program continues on this odyssey to becoming competitive again.

GO DUKE!

Diddy
11-15-2008, 04:30 PM
The team is improving, but there is a tough road ahead. At the begining of the year, I don't think any of the teams we played took us seriously. That allowed Duke to upset (or near upset) some quality teams. Miami is a great example of this. In the first half, they seemed to be waiting for Duke to roll over and die. By the second half, they realized that they were going to have to play hard, or else, and they did it.

We aren't going to sneak up on anybody next year. And that is fine. We can beat some teams straight up. But we will lose some straight up.

Today at Clemson is an acceptable loss. Sure, Clemson has underachieved this year. But the reason that they underachieved is because they have a boatload of talented players on their roster. Realistically, I don't expect to beat teams like Clemson.

The sheer talent of their team, especially the talent of their depth, is what separates teams like Clemson from Duke. With a real coach, Clemson would be in the NC discussion this year.

A team with that type of talent, playing Duke at home, SHOULD beat Duke. But 31 -7 is not that bad. It is respectable, given the talent disparity and location of the game.

Even when Cut gets Duke's talent level higher, we will suffer some games like today. We were competitive for a half, and made Clemson work all day long. Any recruit out there should realize that Duke is a place where they can grow.

sandinmyshoes
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I think the team may be wearing down the second half of the season. I think coach Cut will get us some depth on the roster and whole seasons will look more like the first half of this season.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I think the team may be wearing down the second half of the season. I think coach Cut will get us some depth on the roster and whole seasons will look more like the first half of this season.

Good perspective. Another view would be that in the past, today would not have been 7-31, but more like 7-49 or worse.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Good perspective. Another view would be that in the past, today would not have been 7-31, but more like 7-49 or worse.
Today's game was tough if only in terms of injuries. Compared to past seasons, we've been fortunate to get to the tenth game of the season before encountering such a game. Despite the team seeming to wear down during this intense part of the schedule, the improved conditioning has paid major dividends.

This season is just the beginning.

GO DUKE!

Wander
11-15-2008, 06:49 PM
On the bright side... Maryland just beat UNC. If Miami wins their final two games, UNC can't win the ACC.

sagegrouse
11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
I have only one good thing to say about the Duke-Clemson game: THANK GOD BASKETBALL SEASON HAS STARTED AND THIS IS THE DUKE BASKETBALL REPORT.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm very happy we have Renfree on the roster next season. Today was an ugly view of what happens when Lewis is not healthy. Asack sure was not the answer. What drove me most nuts was that after it was obvious Asack would not get it done, why not try Mike Cappetto? It could not have been any worse, so it would have been worth shot.

jimsumner
11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
"why not try Mike Cappetto? It could not have been any worse, so it would have been worth shot."

The logical answer is that Duke thought Asack needed the work for the final two games.

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
The logical answer is that Duke thought Asack needed the work for the final two games.
There is no logic in continuation of failure. Maybe if he showed any signs of promise, I could agree, but the passing was horrendous. He lacks the field vision a good QB needs. The one touchdown play was luck and skill on part of Riley that it did not turn into another INT.

jimsumner
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Asack has had some success in the past and he has a lot more reps in practice with the first team than does Capetto.

And the staff has seen the two in practice.

So, I'm assuming that Cutcliffe and Roper feel that Asack gives them a better shot at winning down the road than does Capetto and it makes sense to give him PT in anticipation that it will lead to sharper performances down the road.

gep
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Just a thought... since Asack is a better runner than passer... (and I don't know anything about Capetto)... what about Capetto at QB, and Asack in the backfield? After all... only 2 more games...

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Lewis will be back. Xrays confirmed only a sprain. (I hope he's back anyways)

-bdbd
11-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Cut has done a wonderful job, but the truth is that Duke is a few years away from being competitive week in and week out. We won some good games early, but that was a false positive.

We were competitive against the weaker teams on our schedule. And that is great, because in the past we weren't even capable of that low level of play. But now that we are into the meat of the schedule, other teams have too much talent for us.

We are a few years away. Some more good recruits from Cut for Depth, and we might get there. A Bowl may be possible next year, but probably not this year.

I have been having that thought for a month now -- that we just aren't close enough in talent to match up well. The teams with the better, bigger athletes can wear us down or simply beat us up. This year Cut is playing almost entirely with Roof's players (arrived too late to really get his own recruits last winter). THIS year recruiting is looking much better - a top-30 recruiting class, focusing on speed, and filling some critical needs (O-line, D-backs, RB's, etc).

But I ask this to any of you who have played football in college or elsewhere, realistically, HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE before we see Cut's new recruits - beginning to matriculate this coming summer - starting to make an appreciable impact on the field? Also, we're already above the 25 recruit class cap, but I know those who enter school for next semester (Jan 09) don't count against the 09 class -- anybody know how many signees we can expect from this class to take up that opportunity for an early start?

-BDBD

footballfan2
11-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I have been having that thought for a month now -- that we just aren't close enough in talent to match up well. The teams with the better, bigger athletes can wear us down or simply beat us up. This year Cut is playing almost entirely with Roof's players (arrived too late to really get his own recruits last winter). THIS year recruiting is looking much better - a top-30 recruiting class, focusing on speed, and filling some critical needs (O-line, D-backs, RB's, etc).

But I ask this to any of you who have played football in college or elsewhere, realistically, HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE before we see Cut's new recruits - beginning to matriculate this coming summer - starting to make an appreciable impact on the field? Also, we're already above the 25 recruit class cap, but I know those who enter school for next semester (Jan 09) don't count against the 09 class -- anybody know how many signees we can expect from this class to take up that opportunity for an early start?

-BDBD

several things:

1) Duke will not have a top 30 ranked class. Most likely a top 45. We might sneak into top 40 if we sign over 30.

2) According to Scout.com we signed 17 last year. I don't recall any coming in early. Thus we are able to bring in 9 early this year... and thus sign 34 this year total (assuming we don't go over 85 total scholarships). Cutcliffe might be smart to get rid of some of the deadwood (i.e. current juniors who aren't expected to play), but that would lower our graduation rate. On goduke.com we have 24 true freshmen on the roster. So we basically signed between 17-24 freshmen. So who know? So we have somewhere between 26-34 scholarships available for this year.

3) You usually expect recruits to make significant impact after 2-3 years. Of course you'll have some exceptional freshmen. Cutcliff's players should be significantly entrenched in 1-2 more years. Of the 17 we signed last year, how many redshirted?

arnie
11-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Assuming we are way behind every other team in the ACC in football talent - what happened to those solid recruiting classes under Roof? Recall the optimism that he was recruiting with the middle of the pack in the conference. Where are those players?

It makes me think we have either underutilized those players or they never were ACC caliber. Which is it and why does it seem to impact Duke football and not the other programs that don't recruit to the middle of the pack in the conference? I don't like hearing the injury or we are so young excuse every single year - it seems there has to be another explanation. Any ideas?

DukeUsul
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Assuming we are way behind every other team in the ACC in football talent - what happened to those solid recruiting classes under Roof? Recall the optimism that he was recruiting with the middle of the pack in the conference. Where are those players?

It makes me think we have either underutilized those players or they never were ACC caliber. Which is it and why does it seem to impact Duke football and not the other programs that don't recruit to the middle of the pack in the conference? I don't like hearing the injury or we are so young excuse every single year - it seems there has to be another explanation. Any ideas?

I think those guys just won four games this year and were a couple of plays away from two more. It's been a while since we've done that. Lewis, Riley, Oghobaase, Tauiliili are all pretty good.

Olympic Fan
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
2) According to Scout.com we signed 17 last year. I don't recall any coming in early.

Actually, DB Randez James did arrive early.

He was a member of Roof's 2007 recruiting class, but failed to qualify and spent a year in prep school. He was counted against the 2008 signing class, but enrolled in January. He's one of 12 members of the 2008 class who is redshirting this season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
I think those guys just won four games this year and were a couple of plays away from two more. It's been a while since we've done that. Lewis, Riley, Oghobaase, Tauiliili are all pretty good.

Please don't omit Vinnie Rey, another pretty good player.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
During the Duke Football Show today, Coach Cutcliffe said Cliff Harris, starting RB, broke his arm so he is out for the rest of the season. They don't know how bad Lewis' foot sprain is, or when or if they'll get him back this week. I'm waiting for Jim Sumner's injury summary post to learn more.

We only have two experienced running backs left, both very good young players - Jay Hollingsworth and Tony Jackson. Redshirt frosh Cameron Jones will also get some snaps as a backup.

I surely hope that redshirt Sean Renfree isn't even considered for playing time in the last two games. As an emergency third string backup behind Zack Asack and Mike Cappetto I nominate senior starting linebacker Marcus Jones, who played wide receiver to get him on the field even though his "real position" was QB. Cliff Harris would also have been a consideration as he was a HS QB and actually took a few snaps for us a couple of years ago in a single wing type formation.

I expect Zack will be our starting QB next Saturday, and with a game plan designed for his strengths and a week to prepare, he will perform much better in the game. Remember he did pretty well as a freshman when he assumed the starting roll. There is a reason why FDA has been pushing for Zack to get playing time for two years, and now is his chance to step up. The fans obviously don't expect much from him, and hopefully neither will VT.

DukeUsul
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Please don't omit Vinnie Rey, another pretty good player.

I mean no disrespect. Those were the first four to come to mind. Vinnie Rey has been very good along others I haven't mentioned.

CameronBornAndBred
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I expect Zack will be our starting QB next Saturday, and with a game plan designed for his strengths and a week to prepare, he will perform much better in the game. Remember he did pretty well as a freshman when he assumed the starting roll. There is a reason why FDA has been pushing for Zack to get playing time for two years, and now is his chance to step up. The fans obviously don't expect much from him, and hopefully neither will VT.

If he does get the start, I hope a full week of preparation will do him well. He still wears a Duke uniform and therefore has my support. My concern is however, that if he does not produce, the coaches don't at least try someone else (not Renfree) like I feel they should have vs. Clemson. Hopefully he does great and looks a lot more like he did when we first saw him 2 years ago. That is horrible news about Harris.

jimsumner
11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Lewis is day-to-day.

I'd bet the mortgage Cutcliffe won't burn Renfree's redshirt with two games left.

IIRC, even Roof's best classes were ranked at or near the bottom of the ACC. Duke is ACC competitive at QB (with Lewis healthy), WR, DL, and LB. The OL is so bad, it's hard to say about RB. OL, TE, DB, and depth are problem areas. Special teams, so-so, which is an improvement.

RelativeWays
11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I'd rather Cut pull some kid from the stands and have him play QB or we do wildcat formation every down for the last two games rather than burn Renfree's redshirt. We're building for the future. Two more loses, if it comes to that won't mean anything compared to what we've experienced before.

DWP
11-16-2008, 08:28 PM

According to The Sports Journal, who I have found to be very reliable over the past 15 years, Duke's recruiting classes under Roof were still rated last in the ACC, with possibly one exception. Yes, some of those recruiting classes were an improvement over Franks, but compartively speaking, Duke was struggling to get recruits similar to the rest of the ACC.

On the other hand, Duke has won 4 games this year which is an improvement. As I have siad to many people, we must be patient. Duke is now on the right path and within 5 years we will be happy with their progress.

footballfan2
11-16-2008, 11:11 PM
According to The Sports Journal, who I have found to be very reliable over the past 15 years, Duke's recruiting classes under Roof were still rated last in the ACC, with possibly one exception. Yes, some of those recruiting classes were an improvement over Franks, but compartively speaking, Duke was struggling to get recruits similar to the rest of the ACC.

On the other hand, Duke has won 4 games this year which is an improvement. As I have siad to many people, we must be patient. Duke is now on the right path and within 5 years we will be happy with their progress.

what kind of football program do you expect in five years? just curious. A top 10 team? 7-5 team? 9-3? 6-6?

Lotus000
11-16-2008, 11:29 PM
We've won four games this year.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a FREAKING AWESOME SEASON.

By the way, it's not going to last...Cutcliffe's headed to Rocky Top.

RelativeWays
11-17-2008, 07:42 AM
We've won four games this year.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a FREAKING AWESOME SEASON.

By the way, it's not going to last...Cutcliffe's headed to Rocky Top.

Uh...no. If Phil Fulmer retired on his own volition, I'd agree with you. Tennessee would want his former offensive coordinator to keep the program on its current path. But thats not the case. Tennessee wants Fulmer to step down so they can go in a different direction and hiring anyone that close to Fulmer and his style just won't make any sense. The only two ACC coaches at risk at going to Rocky Top are Grobe and Davis. Cutcliffe is going to be at Duke for a while.

yancem
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
To be honest, I have never been all into college football (I tend to prefer the nfl) but I do keep an eye on Duke and root for them. The past decade has been extremely depressing from a football stand point but this season has been wonderful. I know that winning often skews perspective but I can't believe that some of you guys are being alarmist and wondering why we're not winning more. We have won more this year than the last several combined and with basically the same team. So we got spanked by Clemson, they were a preseason top 10 and we were without our starting qb. What did you expect was going to happen.

Cut has a solid requiting class coming in and while 4 wins may not seem like a selling point, it shows a remarkable progress. If Cut can take this momentum and continue to build, recruiting will get even easier and better. While I don't know if Cut will ever be able to get Duke competing for a national championship, he certainly should get Duke to be going bowling with reasonable frequency. And that, at least a few years ago, seemed next to impossible.

formerdukeathlete
11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
several things:

1) Duke will not have a top 30 ranked class. Most likely a top 45. We might sneak into top 40 if we sign over 30.

2) According to Scout.com we signed 17 last year. I don't recall any coming in early. Thus we are able to bring in 9 early this year... and thus sign 34 this year total (assuming we don't go over 85 total scholarships). Cutcliffe might be smart to get rid of some of the deadwood (i.e. current juniors who aren't expected to play), but that would lower our graduation rate. On goduke.com we have 24 true freshmen on the roster. So we basically signed between 17-24 freshmen. So who know? So we have somewhere between 26-34 scholarships available for this year.

3) You usually expect recruits to make significant impact after 2-3 years. Of course you'll have some exceptional freshmen. Cutcliff's players should be significantly entrenched in 1-2 more years. Of the 17 we signed last year, how many redshirted?

I agree with you, our 09 class is rated well, 30ish as of right now, but as the top programs begin to fill their classes we should end in the 45th range. Where we wane is average rating per player.

Also, we could use more size, imo, even if we have to sacrifice a little speed to get it. If you compare Florida State with Duke, 09 classes, FS safeties, wide receivers are about 3 to 4 inches taller on average. We also need some bigger linebackers and bigger linemen. Perhaps we are a few wins away from getting on the radar screne of the top high school programs in PA and Ohio. Cut should have some experience with Western PA and Ohio from his Tenn. days. And, a plus, a lot of these kids are qualified academically.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Perhaps the most important lingering memory of this football season will be that the program got "off the dime," and made serious progress toward playing competitively and having a successful season. The age of embarrassment which has hung over Duke football for years has ended!

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
What will everyone remember long after this season is over?
For me it will be having more fun at Duke football games, win or lose, than I can remember having in a long, long time.

DWP
11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
what kind of football program do you expect in five years? just curious. A top 10 team? 7-5 team? 9-3? 6-6?

Tough question to answer due to a lot of unknowns, but I would think 7 or 8 wins would be a reasonable expectation at that point of our progression. I for one do not expect Coach Cutcliffe to leave Duke for another job, either.