PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 ACC Players by Position

riverside6
11-14-2008, 08:04 AM
We just ranked the ACC players by position (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=1349) over at SCACCHoops.com, and three Duke players made the list...

Scheyer #5 SG
Henderson #3 SF
Singler #1 PF

Nolan Smith just missed the list at PG
Virginia and Georgia Tech were the only teams without someone on the list
Al-Farouq Aminu was the only freshman on the list

What do you think? Where did I miss? If you think I did poorly, add your own list.

NOTE: I realize doing such a list is quite the trivial process, but it is quite a bit of fun. It typically sparks some interesting conversation and for my site it helps me understand where the depth in the ACC is for my fantasy draft.

gw67
11-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Riverside6 – With a couple of minor exceptions, I think your selections seem reasonable to me based on your qualifying statements. This confirms that league is very strong on the perimeter but doesn’t have much depth at the center and power forward positions. My exceptions are as follows:
• I would add McFarland to the list of top centers and move Echefu to PF in lieu of Trapani who is a perimeter player even though he is 6-8.
• I think Milbourne is going to have a breakout year and I would replace Fells at SF.
• Putting Vassallo and Aminu ahead of Henderson and Green is interesting. Vassallo should have a terrific year as a senior but Aminu is just a freshman on a loaded team. I expect Henderson to be very good this year but he is also on a loaded team with three other players who will put up good numbers.

gw67

Indoor66
11-14-2008, 08:57 AM
We just ranked the ACC players by position (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=1349) over at SCACCHoops.com, and three Duke players made the list...

Scheyer #5 SG
Henderson #3 SF
Singler #1 PF

Nolan Smith just missed the list at PG
Virginia and Georgia Tech were the only teams without someone on the list
Al-Farouq Aminu was the only freshman on the list

What do you think? Where did I miss? If you think I did poorly, add your own list.

NOTE: I realize doing such a list is quite the trivial process, but it is quite a bit of fun. It typically sparks some interesting conversation and for my site it helps me understand where the depth in the ACC is for my fantasy draft.

Good job. Thanks for the information.

riverside6
11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Riverside6 – With a couple of minor exceptions, I think your selections seem reasonable to me based on your qualifying statements. This confirms that league is very strong on the perimeter but doesn’t have much depth at the center and power forward positions. My exceptions are as follows:
• I would add McFarland to the list of top centers and move Echefu to PF in lieu of Trapani who is a perimeter player even though he is 6-8.
• I think Milbourne is going to have a breakout year and I would replace Fells at SF.
• Putting Vassallo and Aminu ahead of Henderson and Green is interesting. Vassallo should have a terrific year as a senior but Aminu is just a freshman on a loaded team. I expect Henderson to be very good this year but he is also on a loaded team with three other players who will put up good numbers.

gw67

McFarland was my #6 center, it really was a toss-up with Echefu. The only reason I went with Echefu is I question the PT McFarland will get this year.

I agree about Milbourne, I probably should have had him instead of Fells.

Honestly, I've been down on Gerald Henderson more than others this year (even prior to the first two games). I left him off my all-ACC selections (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_newsbreaker_External.asp?NB=1300) and I consider Danny Green a one-trick pony. I think Vassallo is a better all-around scorer and rebounder than Green, and Aminu could be the best player on a very talented Wake Forest team.

riverside6
11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Wow my memory is failing. In fact, I did have Henderson on my 2nd team All-ACC, but my colleague Will excluded Henderson from his list.

I'm going to go pretend I'm not old now.

gw67
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
As I posted in another thread, this is the year that Henderson either shows that he is a top player like Darrell Griffith (Louisville) or just a good player like Jeff Trapagnier (USC). Both of those players were terrific, 6-4 run-jump athletes like Henderson.

gw67

jimsumner
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Not bad.

The biggest question mark, IMO, is putting both Alabi and Echefu at center. Uche needs to move to the 4.

And yes, Henderson shiould be the number one wing forward but he has to play with more assertion than he's shown so far.

I might consider Lawal for GT. I think he's going to have a big year.

sagegrouse
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I would agree with Vasallo as the #1 SF.

I watched VT sporadically last year. Whenever I did, he was the best player on the floor for either team.

sagegrouse

TigerTown
11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Booker will be playing a true PF position this year with Sykes, Petrukonis, and Baciu at C.

Will play C when we go small....but not what I'd classify him as.

Think one could argue Stitt could be as high as #3 as a PG...those three plus Stitt are all "right there" though.

riverside6
11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I definitely considered Lawal, although as a power forward. He certainly had a huge game in their first scrimmage.

You're right about FSU, probably makes sense to have Echefu at the PF, although I'm not sure bumps anyone off the list.

Kedsy
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
McFarland was my #6 center, it really was a toss-up with Echefu. The only reason I went with Echefu is I question the PT McFarland will get this year.

This gets back to my pseudo-obsession with Wake Forest. According to this list, our "big three" are ranked #5, #3, and #1. Their big three are ranked #2, #2, and #2. Our starting point guard is apparently #6 and their starting center is ranked #6. Both teams have a lot of quality depth.

So, who still thinks Miami is the #3 team in the conference? To me, it sounds like Wake is going to challenge Duke and UNC (#2, #3, #1, #4, with possible injury and chemistry issues -- well, one can hope, anyway, right?) at the very top of the standings. Virginia Tech (#5, #1, #3, but not so much depth) is the team that will be fighting with Miami for 4th place.

Yes, I realize rankings like these are arbitrary and somewhat meaningless, but I just think people are sleeping on Wake this year.

riverside6
11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I completely agree, Wake Forest could be scary good. They are still a very young team though, so you must consider they will be inconsistent for that very reason.

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, I realize rankings like these are arbitrary and somewhat meaningless, but I just think people are sleeping on Wake this year.

Who is sleeping on Wake? I've had them pegged as #3 in the conference for a while. The polls have them just slightly behind Miami as the #4 team. Not a huge difference there.

--Jason "Miami and Wake play only once-- and it will be at Wake" Evans

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
One random comment-- the SG position in the ACC is loaded. Lots of future pros there. Interestingly, it appears that the SF position is not nearly as strong. Hmmm.

--Jason "nice rankings" Evans

gw67
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Your top SF, Aminu, had 21 points and 10 rebounds in his first game. I know it is early but it appears that Aminu, Johnson, McFarland, Woods and Williams make the Wake frontline one of the best in the ACC as well as the country.

You picked Trapani as one of the best PF's in the ACC. I saw him play against Maryland a couple of years ago when he was at Vermont and thought that he was a good player who stayed on the perimeter and was not cut out to play PF even though he is 6-8. What do I know! Last night, he had 13 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists. If he can help with the rebounding, BC can put a good starting five on the floor.

gw67

shadowfax336
11-15-2008, 12:50 PM
ya know, call me crazy, but you are leaving last seasons 3rd team All-ACC point guard off the list. I mean yeah he's not starting, but you should probably have either him or the guy who's starting over him on the list... just saying

shadowfax336
11-15-2008, 12:53 PM
to be fair, 4 of the 5 PGs listed are returning ALL-ACC players... but still

sagegrouse
11-15-2008, 12:59 PM
It's absolutely legitimate to have Nolan Smith at #6, but don't be surprised if he has a big year. He's the Duke player that I've seen that has improved most dramatically since last year. His numbers will, of course, be hurt a bit by the fact that our backcourt is so deep, but it's also important to remember that he will be one of the top onball defenders in the conference this year. Other guys on this list certainly can't claim any similar defensive prowess.

Let me quote Jay Bilas when his co-announcer referred to all the "point guards" on the Duke coaching staff. "Aren't point guards supposed to pass the ball sometimes?" He was pulling JD's chain, but it is true that neither Dawkins nor Collins were point guards.

By the standards of "assists," it looks to me that Scheyer is the PG on the Duke team. Nolan only has one or two.

sagegrouse