PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy Has Officially Lost It

sue71, esq
11-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Jumped the shark, whatever.

SPOILERS

Denny is back and Izzie is involved with him again? Seriously? Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I totally agree. I saw the point of his appearance a week ago and was grooving on him being around for a little while this week, but she said goodbye and had emotionally moved on (or so it appeared) and he still stuck around. Why would they do this just as they got her involved with Alex? There was no implication that her relationship with Alex was flawed. The sad, weak, pinning for Denny Izzy had gone away and we were back to (almost) liking her again and now they drag her back into this. Arrgghhh!

I am sick of the idiotic storyline that the interns are not getting to do anything. I can understand Christine and Alex ignoring their interns but George and Izzy and Mer?!?! It just does not fit their characters. We even got the chief praising Christine for Lexie's skill and even that did not sway Christine to treat her interns with anything but total contempt. Next week the interns are going to attempt to opeate on one of their own -- are you kidding me?!?!

As an aside, Lexie has become a much bigger character on the show than George or even than Alex. This show has no idea what to do with men other than make them sex objects. Kevin McKidd's scene with Christine in the alley was lame. Her response to his advance did not feel real and I am getting the sense that the show has no idea what to do with McKidd's character. Sigh.

And the Asperger's Syndrome super-cardiac surgeon was just idiotic and insulting. I felt like I was watching Boston Legal. Was it supposed to be funny?

The show is still living on the great momentum it had when it started and leading all the way up to Denny's death. It has been on a long downhill since then. I have very little faith that Shonda Rimes has a clue where she is taking the show next.

--Jason "too many characters but as soon as we get rid of one she gets replaced by another (better looking one because everyone on the show must be hot)" Evans

A-Tex Devil
11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Pardon my ignorance because I stopped watching this show two years ago -- but didn't Denny Duquette die? What is this, General Hospital or Days of our Lives?

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Pardon my ignorance because I stopped watching this show two years ago -- but didn't Denny Duquette die? What is this, General Hospital or Days of our Lives?

It turns out that Denny did not die but was in some kind of hibernation/coma kinda thing. Because he was really rich, his body was frozen by some experimental scientists who thawed him out a couple weeks ago when a cure for his heart problems had been discovered. The problem was that his body tissue had decayed -- he got freezer burn -- so they had to re-grow him a new body using a highly advanced cloning technique. At least that is the story we have been told. There is speculation he might actually be Denny's evil twin.

Ok, that is not really what happened but it might have been better than what is actually going on. Izzy has been seeing "Denny's ghost" the past 2 weeks. Last week he was just there in a background a lot. This week he was talking to her left and right and she was talking back to him. At the end of the episode, she is so convinced that the ghost is real that she starts making out with it in her bedroom. The previews for next week show Denny and Izzy having the full-on sex scene they were always denied because Denny was, well, dying from the moment she met him and got winded from just eating a meal.

--Jason "I really like Jeffry Dean Morgan so I wish the show had gone the 'evil-twin' route so he could be back on for the long-term" Evans

2535Miles
11-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm glad I quit watching when Dr. Burke left.

BD80
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Jumped the shark, whatever.

I thought the exact same thing. I can blame watching the show on my sons, but please don't ask why I am so familiar with the plot line(s).

Fortunately, Mary McDonnell's (Independence Day, BSG) character, Dr. Virginia Dixon isn't listed as coming back next week, so hopefully we won't have to put up with such a fabricated storyline.

I enjoy Kevin McKidd's (Rome) role, but am quite annoyed that they feel compelled to hook him up with Christina. Like Jason says, Shonda Rimes has no idea what to do with men other than make them sex objects. Who would have thought that would be a bad thing?

... The previews for next week show Denny and Izzy having the full-on sex scene they were always denied because Denny was, well, dying from the moment she met him and got winded from just eating a meal.

--Jason "too many characters but as soon as we get rid of one she gets replaced by another (better looking one because everyone on the show must be hot)" Evans

So Izzy will now have a "ghost" pregnancy?

Melissa George is hot (does she remind anyone else of Susan George?), but her character is way too contrived. Looks like they are going for some "edginess" to appeal to a younger audience. It could work if she becomes a suitable foil for Christina.

Never did like the Erica Hahn role, but was aggravated that they booted her once they were able to have some salacious lesbian scenes with Callie.

Yep, I spend way to much time supervising my kids' TV viewing.

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Melissa George is hot (does she remind anyone else of Susan George?), but her character is way too contrived. Looks like they are going for some "edginess" to appeal to a younger audience. It could work if she becomes a suitable foil for Christina.

Never did like the Erica Hahn role, but was aggravated that they booted her once they were able to have some salacious lesbian scenes with Callie.

The word on the streets is that they originally intended for Melissa George's character to be bisexual and to have had some "moments" with Meredith in their past**. But, they squashed that story-line when the lesbian stuff between Callie and Hahn went over so poorly. ABC supposedly forced Hahn off the show and ordered Shonda Rimes to tone down all the homosexuality.

--Jason "** I am betting that Patrick Dempsey was bummed to hear he would not be having a 3-way" Evans

BD80
11-14-2008, 05:39 PM
The word on the streets is that they originally intended for Melissa George's character to be bisexual and to have had some "moments" with Meredith in their past**. But, they squashed that story-line when the lesbian stuff between Callie and Hahn went over so poorly. ABC supposedly forced Hahn off the show and ordered Shonda Rimes to tone down all the homosexuality.

--Jason "** I am betting that Patrick Dempsey was bummed to hear he would not be having a 3-way" Evans

It is all in the presentation. If they could just get past the "hetero" and "homo" designations. I propose "megalosexual".

Does Izzy now qualify as a necrophiliac? Reminds me of an old criminal law joke about intent being a necessary element of some crimes.

As for the 3-way, it would be difficult to be in a room with any two of the female characters together long enough to enjoy the experience.

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 09:18 PM
As for the 3-way, it would be difficult to be in a room with any two of the female characters together long enough to enjoy the experience.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was one... just one... woman on the show who had her #!@%^!@^ together and was not an emotional train wreck? I suppose the closest thing we have is either Bailey, who is in the midst of trying not to get divorced but is otherwise pretty solid, or Chang, who seems to only be able to exhibit one emotion/personality trait-- competition.

--Jason "by comparison, George, is 100% normal and balanced compared to these ladies" Evans

DevilAlumna
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if there was one... just one... woman on the show who had her #!@%^!@^ together and was not an emotional train wreck? I suppose the closest thing we have is either Bailey, who is in the midst of trying not to get divorced but is otherwise pretty solid, or Chang, who seems to only be able to exhibit one emotion/personality trait-- competition.

--Jason "by comparison, George, is 100% normal and balanced compared to these ladies" Evans

Well, to be fair, before they started off on this lesbian tangent, Callie and Dr. Hahn were actually rather "normal" female characters. Yeah, Hahn was kind of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.y, and Callie made a horrible mistake in even considering George husband material, but other than that, they were relatively decent. Now, I cringe when I see either of them on the screen, just because this plot point is so useless to the show.

sue71, esq
12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

dukemomLA
12-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Used to be one of my favorite shows, but...it's turned into a ridiculous soap opera with relationships that don't work or bring no interest and giving airtime to characters who should remain in the background.

It now runs opposite CSI here on the West Coast. (Thank goodness for TIVO)...but if not, I'm sure I would be putting on CSI -- unless there was a good late game.

Why oh why.

DevilAlumna
12-05-2008, 02:23 AM
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

No doubt. Not even Kevin McKidd could save this episode (in fact, what was with the stupid vent? :mad:) Since when did they bring on the daytime soap writers?

sue71, esq
12-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Stupid.
StupidStupidStupid.
StupidStupid.

Stupid.

Edit: Let me add- Stupidstupidstupidstupidstupid.

YmoBeThere
12-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Much of the hour long shows have gotten ridiculous. Did the writers go on strike again? Or are they prepping for the upcoming actors strike?

Jarhead
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!
Last night, after I told my wife that I will no longer watch the show, she agreed, but said she might continue to record it. Then the dead guy showed up again. Her reaction? "Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!" Then she stopped the recording, and changed channels. I am so proud of her.

bigj4194
12-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Much of the hour long shows have gotten ridiculous. Did the writers go on strike again? Or are they prepping for the upcoming actors strike?

I concur completely. I was expecting this season to be good as the writers have come back but instead it has just gotten absolutely ridiculous. It's almost to the point where I just laugh at how absurd it is. The only part that I like is the part with Christina and the new Trauma Attending. This is back to the normal grey's...everything else is just over the top (especially the new cardio chick)

bjornolf
12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I do have to admit I found the episode where they all ended up watching the dermatologists like a tv show rather hysterical.

Exiled_Devil
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I was over Greys Anaatomy with the whole 'you didn't swim' ferry boat crash, ignore triage two parter last year.

And then Heroes became less credible with more undying characters and crazy relationships than Grey's, so I let my wife drag me back. We haven't watched last night's episode yet, so this sets it up nicely.

At least BSG and LOST come back in January.

JasonEvans
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I went to JumpTheShark.com for Grey's Anatomy (http://www.jumptheshark.com/topic/Greys-Anatomy/Greys-Anatomy-General-Comments/823?chartStart=0&chartRange=500&chartOnly=true) and was surprised to find that "Denny's Ghost" was not one of the options. I guess so many folks feel the show had already jumped by that point that it was not included.

--Jason

rsvman
12-05-2008, 01:41 PM
IMO Grey's Anatomy jumped the shark after about the 8th or 9th episode of the first year.

Just. can't. watch.

JasonEvans
12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Just wondering-- what was it that everyone hated so much about this past week's episode? I mean, it seemed to me to be mostly the same as the past few weeks with lots of lame storylines that seemed like they had been written by a bad soap opera writer.

Was it Lexie throwing herself at McSteamy?
Was it Denny's continued ghost presence?
Was it Christina and Journeyman hooking up in the steam-pipe basement?

--Jason "just wonderin'" Evans

DukePA
12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Just wondering-- what was it that everyone hated so much about this past week's episode? I mean, it seemed to me to be mostly the same as the past few weeks with lots of lame storylines that seemed like they had been written by a bad soap opera writer.

All of the above. I miss the medical aspects of the show. Show me the medicine!

bigj4194
12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
All of the above. I miss the medical aspects of the show. Show me the medicine!

I agree with that...but mostly its the denny's ghost for me...everything else seems to be within the scope of the show that has been around since the beginning...but the ghost is just over the top.

Exiled_Devil
12-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Lexie throwing herself at McSteamy was sad - "teach me","teach me","teach me the ways of love" is a horrible line. And Lexie's motivation for it? HE healed a ladies vocal chords made them from scratch - whatever. He did a rare operation. THose happenb every other episode. She didn't want to nail Bailey for the domino surgery.

Denny - Dude, I love the Comedian (Watchmen, baby!). But leave dead peopl dead. Another love triangle! With Korev and a dead guy. Wohoo

Christina and Captain McStaples was reasonable, but the 'Christina, we all think you are the best surgeon, but you can't do it, so pick someone else" was dumb.

I'm not sure anymore if Greys makes more sense than Heroes. That's not good.

cato
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure anymore if Greys makes more sense than Heroes. That's not good.

The story line may not made sense, but the hook of dressing up very good looking men as doctors seems to keep my wife from bothering about the story line too much.

sue71, esq
12-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Yes. First, we could all see it coming for weeks. As soon as it reared its ugly head, we all knew it would be bad. But they went with it anyway.

Yes. Beyond yes. This is NOT Days of Our Lives. Denny died. Move on.

Yes. Not that they hooked up, but the whole vent thing, etc. WTF?

And also, making Christina choose? Would that really happen in a hospital- the chief, etc would allow a choice (in the manner of having one of their own choose) among the doctors for a first time solo surgery? Is that not setting up a lovely (potential) malpractice case?

Meredith & McDreamy appear to be a done deal, so that tension's gone. They're no longer interns, so that tension is gone. The writers are really reaching now. Really reaching.

devil84
12-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Grey's Anatomy has a writer's blog that helps explain what they were thinking: http://www.greyswriters.com/

Doesn't make it better, just explains it! There seems to be a bit of the writers' personal lives that affect the show. It makes for some interesting reading.

And actually, the Denny-ghost thing doesn't really bother me, mostly because I'm thinking the ghost is the metaphor for Izzie's greiving/guilt. Izzie got to get over him before she moves on to Karev. Denny's quite watchable, so it's not completely horrible (IMHO) that he's back on the series.

I'm less thrilled with the Dr. Dixon character -- I'm wondering how that insensitive bedside manner catapults her to a great doctor. Bedside manner is a good part of the total picture of a great doctor! And I'm not sure why the needed that character for Christina to hook up with (I liked Burke).

I think cato understands: "but the hook of dressing up very good looking men as doctors seems to keep my wife from bothering about the story line too much." :D

sue71, esq
12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm less thrilled with the Dr. Dixon character -- I'm wondering how that insensitive bedside manner catapults her to a great doctor. Bedside manner is a good part of the total picture of a great doctor! And I'm not sure why the needed that character for Christina to hook up with (I liked Burke).

Ahhh completely forgot about that plotline. Ugh.

DukieInKansas
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Y'all are making me glad I never started watching this.

eta: oooh - Nate James!

BlueDevilBaby
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm less thrilled with the Dr. Dixon character -- I'm wondering how that insensitive bedside manner catapults her to a great doctor.

Dixon sounds like that because Mary sounds like that. I kept thinking Dances with Wolves the entire time she was on screen.

devil84
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Dixon sounds like that because Mary sounds like that. I kept thinking Dances with Wolves the entire time she was on screen.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Now I'll be thinking bad doctor in Dances with Wolves...and waiting for Costner to show up as a guest star....

Dr. Dixon is supposed to have Asperger's. Which is fine -- you can be an excellent doctor and have Asperger's. But wouldn't the hospital ensure that somebody would help with/take over the crucial bedside manner? Maybe that's where Costner comes in. He will ride in on a horse, save a doctor/patient relationship, and fall in love with, oh, Callie, maybe?

sue71, esq
12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Now I'll be thinking bad doctor in Dances with Wolves...and waiting for Costner to show up as a guest star....

Dr. Dixon is supposed to have Asperger's. Which is fine -- you can be an excellent doctor and have Asperger's. But wouldn't the hospital ensure that somebody would help with/take over the crucial bedside manner? Maybe that's where Costner comes in. He will ride in on a horse, save a doctor/patient relationship, and fall in love with, oh, Callie, maybe?

Off with your head.

(Sorry, Wilson. I had to.)

JasonEvans
12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
ABC probably does not care because the show still gets very strong numbers, but the numbers are starting to slip and I think the horrid writing/plots is to blame.

Grey's scored a 5.5 in the key 18-49 demo this past week, which is right around the all-time low for the series in that demo. It still pulled in 15.5 million total viewers and is one of the top 5 or so shows on TV.

Still, it would be nice if they considered why their fans are so disenchanted.

--Jason "eye candy can only take you so far" Evans

DevilAlumna
12-09-2008, 02:14 AM

Yes,
Definitely,
No, but it was a lame, unexplained moment;

Then also:

* Stupid lesbian plot lines (both Callie & Erica, now callie & australian intern) - except for the aspect of girl-girl action, these stories are totally unbelievable/lame
* Callie as bisexual male whore a la McSteamy - again, boring, re-tread plotline but for the homosexual spin on it.
* Little Grey throwing herself at McSteamy while pining for George
* Lack of any interesting medical plotlines beyond some stupid 30 second explanation of something, just to further the character stories.

I'll give it a couple more episodes, hoping they can pull back from the edge, but I don't have much faith they can.

JasonEvans
12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
* Little Grey throwing herself at McSteamy while pining for George
* Lack of any interesting medical plotlines beyond some stupid 30 second explanation of something, just to further the character stories.

Who is this "George" character you speak of? Is he even still on the show?

What passes for medicine on the show now is encasing a person in a block of cement.

As an aside, I accidentally found a spoiler about the show. I was not looking for it but it just came up in an article I was reading. If you want to see it, highlight the following text in white --> Denny's ghost is the product of Izzy suffering from a brain aneursym. There is talk that Katherine Hiegel wants off of Grey's and they may use the brain disease to kill off her character.

--Jason "sad... this show and Heroes are the two saddest shows on TV right now" Evans

sue71, esq
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM
WARNING: Do not click on the link unless you want to find out who supposedly wants to leave.

LINK (http://tv.yahoo.com/grey-39-s-anatomy/show/36657/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20081209:tv_grey_s_anatomy_kn ight__ER:72264)

BD80
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
... I accidentally found a spoiler about the show. I was not looking for it but it just came up in an article I was reading. If you want to see it, highlight the following text in white --> ...

--Jason "sad... this show and Heroes are the two saddest shows on TV right now" Evans

More hearsay on Jason's spoiler, explaining Denny: Text in White

Izzie's brain tumor is causing her visions of Denny

Still, Dead Denny could be this century's Jump the Shark.

JasonEvans
12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
WARNING: Do not click on the link unless you want to find out who supposedly wants to leave.

LINK (http://tv.yahoo.com/grey-39-s-anatomy/show/36657/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20081209:tv_grey_s_anatomy_kn ight__ER:72264)

As I said earlier -- (highlight for spoiler text) ---> Who is this "George" character you speak of? Is he even still on the show?

(end spoilers)

--Jason "Dead Denny is the new Jumped the Shark-- I love that!!" Evans

sue71, esq
12-10-2008, 12:52 AM
More on the last episode and recent developments (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/12/greys-anatomy.html) (read at your own risk... spoilers included but they've also been posted here).

My favorite quote (most of it in white, but the best part is shown):
No, we were all too busy watching Izzie (Katherine Heigl), who we all now know, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, is not really having "the best sex in the history of sex" with Denny's ghost, she's having it with a brain aneurysm. Which is different from a brain tumor, which showrunner Shonda Rhimes repeatedly denied for weeks. Either way, it's clinically gross. And pure soap. Up next: Izzie's evil twin and her possession by Satan.

2535Miles
12-10-2008, 03:04 AM
This thread has more white text than any other thread I've seen on DBR.