BlueintheFace
11-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Miami down three with the ball and 21 seconds

BlueintheFace
11-14-2008, 01:01 AM
UCLA barely survives... Their offense looks anemic, but their defense is solid

The1Bluedevil
11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Stephen Bardo was blasting the officiating time and time again down the stretch of the game.

chadlee989
11-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Thank God they won. I really want to play them in NY. It could be a big win for us.

Huh?
11-14-2008, 09:28 AM
We are so similar to UCLA it is scary. I think we would matchup VERY well with them.

Diddy
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
In another thread people are bemoaning Duke being dropped in ESPNs bracketology. There is a question of why is UCONN being moved up. Throughout the boards there are questions of UNC's dominance.

The UCLA -Miami (OH) game answers most of those questions. In past years, there have been 2-5 teams that were clearly better than the rest of the teams. Sure, there were 10 or so additional teams that were capable of a serious March run, IF they put everything together.

This year, UNC is clearly head and shoulders better. They really have no glaring weaknesses. Every single other team in the nation has a question mark. UCLA is a consensus top 4 team. And they lost 2 guys to the lottery last year. Louisville is top 3, and they have squeeked by a few powderpuffs. Duke is top 8, and we have yet to answer the post play question.

This year, right now, UNC is the clear frontrunner. After that, you could probably put the next 15 teams in a hat, and rank them by pulling them out of a hat.

It is going to be a wild year in college hoops.

davekay1971
11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
In another thread people are bemoaning Duke being dropped in ESPNs bracketology. There is a question of why is UCONN being moved up. Throughout the boards there are questions of UNC's dominance.

The UCLA -Miami (OH) game answers most of those questions. In past years, there have been 2-5 teams that were clearly better than the rest of the teams. Sure, there were 10 or so additional teams that were capable of a serious March run, IF they put everything together.

This year, UNC is clearly head and shoulders better. They really have no glaring weaknesses. Every single other team in the nation has a question mark. UCLA is a consensus top 4 team. And they lost 2 guys to the lottery last year. Louisville is top 3, and they have squeeked by a few powderpuffs. Duke is top 8, and we have yet to answer the post play question.

This year, right now, UNC is the clear frontrunner. After that, you could probably put the next 15 teams in a hat, and rank them by pulling them out of a hat.

It is going to be a wild year in college hoops.

My arguments against this train of thought:

1) UNC has weak interior defense - unless someone steps up this year to help Hanstravel defend the paint.

2) Lawson isn't as great as his press - he's phenomenally quick and can cause trouble if he gets in the lane...but sometimes he just doesn't seem to create an offense for the team.

3) Ellington has yet to prove he's anything other than a spot-up shooter.

4) Danny Green can't dance.

5) Is this team really committed to Roy, and to winning the championship? Keep in mind that they quit, not once, but twice against Kansas. Hansflop is clearly committed to Roy, UNC, and the championship - his coming back was never a question, and it's pretty clear why he came back. Lawson, Ellington, and Green, however, are back only because they're prospects in the draft didn't look good enough to warrant going. Where is their mindset right now - on the team winning the NCAA, or on getting themselves better positioned for payday?

6) They're going to be very confused when they see a team in dark blue. Is that the hated Blue Devils? Or is it their own football team?

7) I really don't want them to win. I really, really don't. That's got to count for something.

8) God is a Dukie. He has, in his infinite wisdom, set up Carolina with all the accolades for 3 years in a row now, just so that his children (us Dukies), can forever give the Tarholes crap about their Chosen One (Phloppy T) never winning the big one. It just makes sense.

Oh, and to keep this on subject with the thread - UCLA seems to have carried over their offensive problems from last year...but their defense is still really really good.

Wander
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM

The UCLA -Miami (OH) game answers most of those questions.

UCLA having a close game against a possible NCAA tournament team answers questions about UNC's dominance, UConn's ranking, and Duke being labeled as a falling two seed by some dude on ESPN?

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
UCLA having a close game against a possible NCAA tournament team answers questions about UNC's dominance, UConn's ranking, and Duke being labeled as a falling two seed by some dude on ESPN?

Ummm... dude. Everything in college basketball is related to Duke and UNC. EVERYTHING! Have you not been paying attention?

--Jason ";)" Evans

crimsonandblue
11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Ummm... dude. Everything in college basketball is related to Duke and UNC. EVERYTHING! Have you not been paying attention?

--Jason ";)" Evans

Blech.

Wander
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM

--Jason ";)" Evans

The wink smiley face was a weak cop-out to putting an actual phrase in your name. Are you getting lazy? I demand a recount. ;)

By the way (not to you JE), Kansas struggled at home last year with Arizona. Kansas of course won the national championship, Arizona ended up as a 10 or 11 seed that got bounced in the first round. The year before, Florida struggled basically at home with UAB. I don't think UAB even made the NIT that year.

RainingThrees
11-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Once UCLA starts gelling as a team they will be good, I just hope they don't quite come together until after they play Duke.

JasonEvans
11-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Once UCLA starts gelling as a team they will be good, I just hope they don't quite come together until after they play Duke.

Yup, and they have some young but absurdly talented kids too who will take some time developing into college studs. I know every team improves and comes along as the season gets older but the UCLA of November and the UCLA of March will be even more different than usual.

--Jason "I still think they will be somewhat offensively challenged come March" Evans

Ben63
11-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah Miami!!!!! They didn't win but what a great effort.

I'm heading there next fall for my freshman year, GO HAWKS

Wander
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
After the close game with Rhode Island, it's worth bumping this thread...

dukemsu
11-16-2008, 08:58 PM
been this way since Howland got there?

Great D, great rebounding, average, deliberate offense.

No one plays more consistently good defense than the Bruins. Their lack of offensive explosiveness usually keeps people in the game.

dukemsu