PDA

View Full Version : Sounds that are Really Hard to Spell

EarlJam
11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Some sounds are easy to spell. Examples:

Scream = Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Sigh = Whew.

But how many sounds can you come up with that seem nearly impossible to spell? If you give an example, you must also try to spell it. Feel free to improve upon attempts.

Here are a couple that come to mind:

A sniff of the nose: "ssssssssssssssssssssssst."

Clearing of throat: "Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrummmmmmmm."

Others?

-EJ

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Raspberries.
Phlttttttt!:p

billybreen
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone try to spell a fart, but I think you're up to the challenge, EJ.

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone try to spell a fart, but I think you're up to the challenge, EJ.
There are just too many varieties to cover this in one day.

billybreen
11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
There are just too many varieties to cover this in one day.

Gary agrees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR46ZaYSRbk) (some adult language at the start)

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Gary agrees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR46ZaYSRbk) (some adult language at the start)
In stitches. I mean "pffffffffffthhptaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrt"

riverside6
11-13-2008, 02:53 PM
tires squealing...

errrrrt?

EarlJam
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Depends on what variety. For instance, an SBD (silent but deadly):

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

-EJ

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Depends on what variety. For instance, an SBD (silent but deadly):

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

-EJ

And the quite embarrassing if anyone hears it:

Breeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooop!

EarlJam
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
And the quite embarrassing if anyone hears it:

Breeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooop!

Ah yes, good one. "The Trumpet."

Then there's "The Firecracker." Loud pop but that's about it:

PRRP!

And of course, there's "The Marathoner," which is always a friend impresser:

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffppppp pppppppppppppppllllllllllllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

-EJ

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Ah yes, good one. "The Trumpet."

Then there's "The Firecracker." Loud pop but that's about it:

PRRP!

And of course, there's "The Marathoner," which is always a friend impresser:

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffppppp pppppppppppppppllllllllllllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

-EJ

Should I be appalled that you knew exactly which one I was referring to or the fact that you have a name for it?

EarlJam
11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
There's also "The John McCain," but it's easy to spell:

Old Fart.

-EJ

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
There's also "The John McCain," but it's easy to spell:

Old Fart.

-EJ

There you go, now it's gonna get moved to the PPB.....

EarlJam
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
tires squealing...

errrrrt?

By the way, this is a quality, quality example of what I was talking about. Great job Riverside!

Most people would spell it, "Screeeeeeeeeeeech!" But it sounds nothing like that.

I get "errrrt!" That's more like the actual sound.

-EarlJam

devildeac
11-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I spend a couple days away from the boards and this is what I missed:rolleyes::o. Oh, dear...

captmojo
11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
In the Halloween thread I posted what I thought was a good imitation of a mad scientist's laughter. "Moohoowahhaha".

devildeac
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
In the Halloween thread I posted what I thought was a good imitation of a mad scientist's laughter. "Moohoowahhaha".

Sounds more like a cow who can't decide whether to laugh or cry:o.

BD80
11-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds more like a cow who can't decide whether to laugh or cry:o.

Which, in turn, sounds mooooooooody.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Which, in turn, sounds mooooooooody.

(Un)fortunately, I think I depleted all my cow puns on another thread last week:o.

Lavabe
11-15-2008, 07:06 PM
What is the correct spelling for the sound that computer keys make as one furiously PW's?;)

billybreen
11-15-2008, 07:14 PM
What is the correct spelling for the sound that computer keys make as one furiously PW's?;)

Billllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Lavabe
11-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Billllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

LOL. I am SOOO glad you're back!!:D

2535Miles
11-15-2008, 07:21 PM
That would vary by manufacturer. My MacBook Pro makes a soft, mushy sound which is almost impossible to write out. The keyboard in my office makes a very satisfying clacka clacka.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 07:22 PM

mmmmmmmbreen:o;)

devildeac
11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
mmmmmmmbreen:o;)

Didn't see prior replies:o. I still like mine:D.

Jarhead
11-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry I can't make a contribution here. I don't fart. That's been true ever since I learned to play the bugle in the Boy Scouts. How about a kazoo. I can do that.

devildeac
11-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Sorry I can't make a contribution here. I don't fart. That's been true ever since I learned to play the bugle in the Boy Scouts. How about a kazoo. I can do that.

Then you and OZZIE should both join the DUMB alumni section as he is also a kazoomeister:D.