PDA

View Full Version : Chris Duhon -- NBA

nyr484
11-13-2008, 12:46 AM
The New York Knicks -- yes, the Knicks -- are off to a 5-3 start. Chris Duhon is averaging about 7 points per game and isn't getting much pub. But he has 54 assists to just 11 turnovers! Averaging almost 7 assists per game at a 5:1 A/TO ratio is pretty sweet.

MIKESJ73
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
It's interesting that his stats indicate how the team did just like in chicago. When he shoots well the team wins which is very odd for a player that only attempts 7 shots a game.

In the five wins 50%FG and 44%3pts 10ppg
In the three losses 25%FG and 25%3pts 5.7ppg

Starbury still makes 22,000,000 watching Duhon do what he couldn't, win in New York.

BD80
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
... Starbury still makes 22,000,000 watching Duhon do what he couldn't, win in New York.

Interesting showdown with Marbury. Marbury wants to go to San Antonio. SA needs a point guard, Parker is out for 4 weeks. SA is 2-5, in last place and is losing round. Time is of the essence.

But Marbury will not leave a nickle on the table, and won't agree to a buy-out of his contract for less than the full amount due.

gw67
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Who would have guessed that Duhon and Blake not only would play in the 24-second league but would be starters. There apparently is a place in the NBA for smart players who get their teammates involved, don't make many mistakes, play good defense and make an occasional shot.

gw67

Billy Dat
11-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Duhon has been great since a fairly rocky pre-season and first few games...as a Knick fan I am thrilled.

The primary scorers are Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph, Wilson Chandler (2nd year man out of DePaul - a fantastic player) and Nate Robinson off the bench. Q Richardson can fill it up, too. As a result, they don't really need him to score, just push that D'Antoni tempo, distribute, lock down on D and make the uncontested jumper once in a while. When he hits that jumper, his game really comes together. His best lines are usually something like 10 points, 8 assists, 3 steals, 2 turnovers...when that happens, they play well.

hq2
11-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Duhon is definitely in the right place to make a difference. The Knicks have some decent talent but horrible chemistry. Putting in a good point guard who can distribute, handle the ball and play good D can make a huge difference (see Steve Nash).

bdh21
11-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Putting in a good point guard who can distribute, handle the ball and play good D can make a huge difference (see Steve Nash).

This is the first I've heard of Steve Nash playing good defense.

RainingThrees
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Steve Nash has to be one of the worst defensive pg's in the league. Whenever Chris Paul comes to town Paul gets about 30 points and 12 assists.

MIKESJ73
11-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Every week Starbury's buyout drops almost a million dollars at some point an interested team will help the Knicks buy him out. The Knicks have the worst contracts ever.

Malik Rose make 7.6 mil averaging 8 mpg
Curry making 10 mil a year
Jerome James??? 6.2 mil a year

These three with Marbury make as much as the entire Grizzles 15 man roster and have scored a total of 11 points

Zach Randolph making more than Lebron, Wade, Carmelo and Dwight Howard just seems a little off.

Indoor66
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Every week Starbury's buyout drops almost a million dollars at some point an interested team will help the Knicks buy him out. The Knicks have the worst contracts ever.

Malik Rose make 7.6 mil averaging 8 mpg
Curry making 10 mil a year
Jerome James??? 6.2 mil a year

These three with Marbury make as much as the entire Grizzles 15 man roster and have scored a total of 11 points

Zach Randolph making more than Lebron, Wade, Carmelo and Dwight Howard just seems a little off.

Seems to me that this is often what you get when you buy based on "potential"! I never have understood paying outlandish amounts to players who have never performed at the NBA level. To me it reflects some level of insanity on the part of the owners. It, maybe, also reflects the status of the tax code as to professional athletes.

Acymetric
11-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Was trying to find the duke players in the NBA page, but after a couple different searches with no luck, I finally found this on the 8th page.

Duhon had 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 11 assists. Unfortunately, he did have 4 turnovers, but he's still got a great A/TO ratio. Good to see him doing well.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Was trying to find the duke players in the NBA page, but after a couple different searches with no luck, I finally found this on the 8th page.

Duhon had 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 11 assists. Unfortunately, he did have 4 turnovers, but he's still got a great A/TO ratio. Good to see him doing well.

A double double (points and assists) for Chris and his team won! And with a host of new teammates. Just wait till they actually develop some familiarity with each other and learn the timing that comes with playing together.

darthur
11-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Steve Nash has to be one of the worst defensive pg's in the league. Whenever Chris Paul comes to town Paul gets about 30 points and 12 assists.

Steve Nash is certainly not known as a great defender, but Chris Paul's games against Phoenix have nothing to do with it. Like most offensive NBA stars, Nash rarely guards the opponent's best offensive player - the idea being that it is bad to wear him out on a brutal defensive assignment when offense is what he's there for. This means, in particular, that Steve Nash is rarely defending Chris Paul directly.

Acymetric
11-29-2008, 08:54 PM
According to ESPN, the Knicks scored 86 points in the first half against the Warriors, and Duhon has 10 assists already with no turnovers! Quite a game.

micah75
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
End of 3rd quarter: Duhon with 10 points and 18 assists. Also leading the team in minutes played thus far.

phaedrus
11-29-2008, 10:28 PM
They should have stuck D-mark on him.

dukeballer2294
11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Ya baby hes on my fantasy team!

billybreen
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
22 assists, 3 turnovers? That's not a bad ratio.

Madrasdukie
11-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Here's what Warriors coach, Don Nelson said about Chris Duhon (excerpt from CNNSI article):

...''I think Duhon is the story tonight. Wow, what a player,'' Warriors coach Don Nelson said. ''Been watching him on film and seeing him on videos, but seeing him in person is another story. Guy's got the whole package. He looked like Steve Nash out there. Unbelievable performance.

''Whether we zoned him, switched him, it didn't matter. He still found a way to hurt us. Really impressive performance.''...

DavidBenAkiva
11-29-2008, 11:54 PM
This would seem even more impressive if it wasn't against the Warriors. That team just doesn't care!

Time fies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

bludvlman
11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
speaking of Warriors, what happened to DeMarcus? He started the first few games now isn't on the active roster of games.

Abraxas
11-30-2008, 12:17 AM
speaking of Warriors, what happened to DeMarcus? He started the first few games now isn't on the active roster of games.

He was sent to the D-league. Don Nelson would have used him tonight....

Bluedog
11-30-2008, 12:17 AM

Got sent to the D league around Nov 14. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?&entry_id=32695

KandG
11-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Markie got sent down to the D-League. He just didn't have enough offensively for Nelson's system. The minutes were there (none of the PGs/pseudo-PGs are doing very well on the Warriors this season), but Markie is still a bit too raw at this point.

I saw the Knicks game and Duhon did a heck of a job...but with that said, the Warriors were pretty depleted without Stephen Jackson and tired after five games in seven days. Their defense, which could charitably classified as indifferent on most nights, was unbelievably bad against the Knicks...they looked like they had never seen a pick and roll in their lives, and Duhon killed them time after time (with David Lee the beneficiary most often -- a nice player, but someone who won't be mistaken for Amare Stoudamire or Dwight Howard).

I'm still happy for Duhon and he's a superb fit for D'Antoni's system. As a Knicks fan, there isn't necessarily a lot to cheer for in the short term as the team is trying to clear cap space for 2010, but Chris is really one of the bright spots, and the Knick announcers on the MSG broadcasts consistently gush over his effort on both ends of the floor.

billybreen
11-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Turns out that was a Knicks record (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281129018).

juise
11-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Good for Chris. I was watching the highlights (http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3734461&categoryId=2459788) and noticed that Chris was passing to David Lee all night. It was nice, then, that when Lee stole the ball out top and had Chris open in front of everyone, Lee passed to himself for a dunk. Gotta love the Association!

SupaDave
11-30-2008, 01:13 PM
This brings something interesting to mind. Is Duhon a star yet? He's been on the stage for a while but when will his jersey start flying off the racks?

If he achieves stardom - will the Dukies don't perform well in the NBA 'whisper' be officially dead? And with that, will we see a rash of more highly drafted players?

freedevil
11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Supa - in my opinion, this slight against Devils in the NBA probably won't go away until a Duke-led NBA team wins a title. So root hard for either Utah or the Sixers I guess. (I'm willing to bet if Battier helped the Rockets win a championship few would admit how integral he was).

Great regular season performances, either on a few nights or throughout the year, won't make this thing go away.

Again, just my opinion.

SupaDave
11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Supa - in my opinion, this slight against Devils in the NBA probably won't go away until a Duke-led NBA team wins a title. So root hard for either Utah or the Sixers I guess. (I'm willing to bet if Battier helped the Rockets win a championship few would admit how integral he was).

Great regular season performances, either on a few nights or throughout the year, won't make this thing go away.

Again, just my opinion.

You make a valid point there. A NBA line-up with all Duke players? A few creative trades could make that happen. They would be the most hated team in the NBA. I think the Pistions should pull the trigger on this.

Jumbo
11-30-2008, 01:44 PM
This brings something interesting to mind. Is Duhon a star yet? He's been on the stage for a while but when will his jersey start flying off the racks?

If he achieves stardom - will the Dukies don't perform well in the NBA 'whisper' be officially dead? And with that, will we see a rash of more highly drafted players?

He's been on what stage for a while? The star stage? In Chicago, he was a part-time starter who never averaged more than 8.7 ppg or 5.0 apg. He is a solid player who joined a mediocre team with the perfect coach and system to maximize his talent. I'm thrilled for Chris, but he's not close to being a "star."

The "Dukies/NBA" argument has been dead in the water for years. Guys like Hill, Brand, Boozer, Maggette, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, etc. have made it a ridiculous notion. You can compare Duke's NBA track record favorably against any other school. I think I wrote a long post about this last spring. And when people bring up guys like Redick or Shelden who were college stars whose games haven't translated to the NBA, you can match them with a handful of similar examples from any other rival.

Acymetric
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
He's been on what stage for a while? The star stage? In Chicago, he was a part-time starter who never averaged more than 8.7 ppg or 5.0 apg. He is a solid player who joined a mediocre team with the perfect coach and system to maximize his talent. I'm thrilled for Chris, but he's not close to being a "star."

The "Dukies/NBA" argument has been dead in the water for years. Guys like Hill, Brand, Boozer, Maggette, Dunleavy, Battier, Deng, etc. have made it a ridiculous notion. You can compare Duke's NBA track record favorably against any other school. I think I wrote a long post about this last spring. And when people bring up guys like Redick or Shelden who were college stars whose games haven't translated to the NBA, you can match them with a handful of similar examples from any other rival.

There was an article on the main page a few months back that Duke's NBA players had the highest combined salary of any school (though that was aided by the fact that we had the most players in the league as well, 14 I think). Our per person salary was still fairly high, though not #1, if my memory serves me. I'll dig around and look for the article.

Found it! (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=26010)

SupaDave
11-30-2008, 02:34 PM
This is all known. That's one reason why I said 'whisper'.

However, when it comes to perception - just ask a Tarhole how our pros do and then you'll get a dose of reality.

Duhon has seen his moments - i.e. his stage. Taking that young Bulls team to the playoffs is one of his signature moments and he's had some monster games. He's far from an unknown player.

And oh yeah - he's the starting point guard for the New York Knicks. I think that just might get you a few perks.

Jumbo
11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
This is all known. That's one reason why I said 'whisper'.

However, when it comes to perception - just ask a Tarhole how our pros do and then you'll get a dose of reality.

No, I'd get a dose of "perception." We know the reality -- and so do NBA talent evaluators. That's all that matters.

Duhon has seen his moments - i.e. his stage. Taking that young Bulls team to the playoffs is one of his signature moments and he's had some monster games. He's far from an unknown player.

And oh yeah - he's the starting point guard for the New York Knicks. I think that just might get you a few perks.

Who said he's an unknown player. He is what he is -- a solid point guard in an excellent situation. Why make a bigger deal out of it than that?

SupaDave
11-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Who said he's an unknown player. He is what he is -- a solid point guard in an excellent situation. Why make a bigger deal out of it than that?

Because it's the New York Knicks! The NBA's most valuable franchise.

sagegrouse
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

One advantage of living way outside NC (Rocky Mountains) is that I don't have to ask Tarheel fans anything because I seldom run into one. Moreover, the I do see are really nice and we have a lot in common.

sagegrouse

SupaDave
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
One advantage of living way outside NC (Rocky Mountains) is that I don't have to ask Tarheel fans anything because I seldom run into one. Moreover, the I do see are really nice and we have a lot in common.

sagegrouse

Well one disadvantage of being from Durham, NC is the fact that I argue some of the same things with my friends at least once a year - especially the Tarheel fans with whom I grew up with. There are just some things we'll never see eye to eye on. Perception or Reality (try arguing who's a better coach, Dean or K, and find out how long that can take).

The back and forth can be fun sometimes b/c I thank God for Tarheel Alums like Joe Forte and King Rice but you gotta know that there are some serious non-believers out there.

You want reality? Let me take you to my barbershop. It can be madness but there's always a little truth thrown in. :)

sagegrouse
12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Through one Q against Portland, Chris has 5 assists and David Lee has 11 points.

sagegrouse

cato
12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Because it's the New York Knicks! The NBA's most valuable franchise.

Is this true? I would have thought LA was more valuable. They've got plenty of history, and have been relevent in the past decade.

juise
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Chris finished with 23 points (7-14 from the field), 13 assists, 5 boards and 1 TO in a loss to the Blazers. Pretty darn solid.

KandG
12-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Duhon had a really nice game against Portland last night, but the Knicks ran out of gas and Duhon had to play too many minutes because the team is so undermanned.

I agree with Jumbo that too much shouldn't be made of Duhon's sudden rise, but at the same time, even in a system more tailored to his skills, he still deserves a lot of credit for making the most of it. Against the Blazers, not only was he running the team, but he had the responsiblity of defending Brandon Roy most of the game. If Chris could just develop a mid-range shot and make it with more consistency, he could really be a star.

As it is, he is one of the best reasons to watch the Knicks...even with a bad back and wrist, he was running and penetrating constantly, zipping passes to outside shooters or running the pick and roll beautifully. He had a great play against Oden where he used his body to keep Oden from blocking his shot and scored over the much bigger man. Reminded me of a similar play against Okafor in the Final Four where he scored to give us an eight point lead (which most Duke fans, admittedly, may have blocked from memory because it preceded the collapse in the final minutes against UConn).

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Is this true? I would have thought LA was more valuable. They've got plenty of history, and have been relevent in the past decade.

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/knicks_forbeslist.html?rss=true

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Knicks

Oh and I have to add this. Duhon wasn't even ranked in the top 50 for point guards even though his system favors point guards. In fact he was ranked #92 by Sportsline's ranking system behind ROOKIES who hadn't played a game.

Duhon was projected out to 999 fantasy points and an avg. of 3.47 assists per game over the season.

Marbury is ranked higher than Chris even though it was known that his time with the Knicks would be short as they try to create cap space.

Currently Duhon is in the top 15 behind names like Wade, Billups, Kidd, Vince and Kobe. Currently, He is averaging 8.47 apg and ALREADY has 527 fantasy points.

http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasybasketball/stats/sortable/points/G/standard/ytd

He should probably shoot more but only Chris Paul, Jose Calderon, and Jason Kidd have more assists. This is what I'm talking about - I think there should be a lot more respect there and the Marbury distraction doesn't seem to be helping matters.

He is helping the Knicks save face. They won a pitiful 23 games last year and are on pace for a possible 35-45 wins this year. The Knicks appear to have a chance in the Atlantic division outside of beating Boston perhaps and much of that is due to Duhon...

Acymetric
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Chris had a great game today against the Pistons. 25 points on 8 for 14 shooting, 3-5 behind from three, 6-6 from the line. 5 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 turnovers, and 1 foul. Played all 48 minutes, and the Knicks won by 12.

After his last few games (low on points, high on turnovers) this is a nice recovery. The Knicks are still awfully depleted though. They need to get some of their players going.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Chris had a great game today against the Pistons. 25 points on 8 for 14 shooting, 3-5 behind from three, 6-6 from the line. 5 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 turnovers, and 1 foul. Played all 48 minutes, and the Knicks won by 12.

Gee, is anyone worried that Chris will wear himself out and won't have any legs left in March/April/May? I think not.

Way to go C-Du! Du Du Du Duhon!

wisteria
12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
:( God, the Knicks must find some sort of back-up for Duhon. He's playing 40+ minutes every single game. (I'm sure he's actually happy with it, though)

wisteria
12-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Gee, is anyone worried that Chris will wear himself out and won't have any legs left in March/April/May? I think not.

Way to go C-Du! Du Du Du Duhon!

haha.. didn't see this before I posted. Actually I'm kinda worried. :)

dukebluelemur
12-07-2008, 07:41 PM
haha.. didn't see this before I posted. Actually I'm kinda worried. :)

Actually, judging from their forums, a lot of Knick fans are a bit worried, and want to see a usable, healthy backup behind Chris.

(I read knick forums for the comedy. The conflict between the hysterical 12 year old Starbury fan club, and the rational fans has provided a great deal of entertainment these past few months.)

dukelifer
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM

After his last few games (low on points, high on turnovers) this is a nice recovery. The Knicks are still awfully depleted though. They need to get some of their players going.

It is amazing what a change of venue and some confidence from a coach can do for a player. Maybe the same thing will happen to JJ.

SilkyJ
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
It is amazing what a change of venue and some confidence from a coach can do for a player. Maybe the same thing will happen to JJ.

its amazing what a new coach and PG can do for a team! The knicks being nearly .500 and beating the stalwart pistons, all while NOT playing players like curry and marbury is remarkable for this point in the season.

Billy Dat
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
As a huge Knick and Duke fan, I have been overjoyed watching Duhon's play this season. After Donnie Walsh blew up the team in a Lebron 2010 cap clearing frenzy (applauded by most fans, myself included) a mere two weeks ago, Duhon has really stepped up his game. Prior to that, he was WAY too passive on offense, especially on his drives where he'd be looking to pass even with an opening to the hoop. Now, he is looking to finish his drives and it has made him much more dangerous. He is playing really big minutes the last few games because Nate Robinson got hurt on Friday. With Marbury out of the picture, Mardy Collins and Jamal Crawford traded away, Robinson hurt, and Cuttino Mobley out while he figures out why he has an enlarged heart, Duhon and Anthony Roberson are manning the point. That would have been a prime time D1 match-up circa 2004. Anyway, the Knicks are hurting for backcourt bodies. Their next game is against the Bulls - holders of a nearly identical record but viewed around the league as a major dissapointment (I really can't bear the jokes about how Deng's off-season contract was the biggest robbery this side of Jesse James). CDu will have the pleasure of chasing Derrick Rose around - just another day at the office, luckily the guy never gets tired.

SilkyJ
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Their next game is against the Bulls - holders of a nearly identical record but viewed around the league as a major dissapointment (I really can't bear the jokes about how Deng's off-season contract was the biggest robbery this side of Jesse James).

I agree they've been dissapointing, but they are still young, and Deng has been hurt. Though its fair to say he hasn't performed near expectations and something seems off...

CDu will have the pleasure of chasing Derrick Rose around - just another day at the office, luckily the guy never gets tired.

For realzies. Kid played all 48 last night. And while I didnt see the game, I'd have to guess he was chasing Iverson around for a good portion of it...

ice-9
12-08-2008, 09:38 PM

On that note, wouldn't JJ be a good fit for the Knicks? The Knicks are shorthanded and defense isn't the biggest thing; JJ has the conditioning to run continuously and excels in the catch and shoot. CDu's assists can go even further through the roof.

SupaDave
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
It is my wildest dream to see JJ with Lebron...

SilkyJ
12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
It is my wildest dream to see JJ with Lebron...

copycat. wow that would be ridiculous.

On that note, after playing significant minutes for a whole bunch of games and not playing poorly but just playing fairly adequately, its now halftime and JJ hasn't seen the floor against the Clippers...

dukemomLA
12-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Can we imagine a Duke NBA team? We'd be hated by all -- but, heck, as Duke fans, we're used to that.

Put together a Duke NBA team -- of current players, and a few who have been discarded (such as Daniel Ewing), and add a strong center from somewhere, and me-thinks we can compete with anyone.

The Knicks should consider such -- as should the current lowly (sigh) Clippers.

I know it's a pipe dream, but.... sure would be fun to see JJ, and Elton, and Shane, and L.Deng, and Chris D and CoreyM, and Mike D. & Grant H, etc. on a team doing battle with the rest of the NBA. Talk about HATRED -- sure to bring such and sold out tickets from coast to coast.

jma4life
12-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Well, at one point the Clippers did have Brand, Maggette, Ewing and I think Livingston. (I know he doesn't really count)

The Pacers have Dunleavy and McRoberts now and the Bulls had Deng and Duhon. I doubt any team has ever had more than the three Duke players the Clippers had playing together.

Lord Ash
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
So, so, SO proud of Chris Duhon. He was a fantastic player at Duke, and I certainly never expected him to blow up like this. Awesome news, and yet more proof that Duke does produce a few good pros every now and then;)

wisteria
12-09-2008, 11:32 PM
15 points, 14 assists, and 9 rebounds in a very close loss to the Bulls. I was screaming for one more rebound.

Chris outplayed Rose most of the game.

Chris logged in another 45 minutes. And he does look tired.

JasonEvans
12-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Chris is playing absurd minutes. Check this out--

NBA leaders in Minutes Per Game

Steven Jackson, GS - 40:47/game
Chris Duhon, NY - 40:23/game
Chris Bosh, Tor - 40:03
Joe Johnson, Atl - 39:30/game
Ron Artest, Hou - 38:30/game
Derrick Rose, Chi - 38:23/game
Antwan Jamison, Was - 38:23/game

Interesting list, no?

--Jason "one has to wonder how Derrick Rose will hold up over a full season playing this much" Evans

tele
12-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd like to see Deng play for the knicks, think he'd be good in that offense. Maybe knicks could trade curry back to chicago for deng? Chicago seems to favor local players, and they could use front line help.

Billy Dat
12-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Can we imagine a Duke NBA team? We'd be hated by all -- but, heck, as Duke fans, we're used to that.

Put together a Duke NBA team -- of current players, and a few who have been discarded (such as Daniel Ewing), and add a strong center from somewhere, and me-thinks we can compete with anyone.

The Knicks should consider such -- as should the current lowly (sigh) Clippers.

I know it's a pipe dream, but.... sure would be fun to see JJ, and Elton, and Shane, and L.Deng, and Chris D and CoreyM, and Mike D. & Grant H, etc. on a team doing battle with the rest of the NBA. Talk about HATRED -- sure to bring such and sold out tickets from coast to coast.

I have often thought about this idea and then pushed it from my mind as I thought it could be the one thing that would lure K to the NBA ;^)

However - it also occured to me that most of the current alumni in the NBA were not Duke's most hated - save, perhaps, for Dahntay. The K era most hated squad would probably look something like:

1 - Wojo, Paulus off the bench
2- JJ
3 - Dahntay
4 - Ferry
C- Laettner

duke74
12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
15 points, 14 assists, and 9 rebounds in a very close loss to the Bulls. I was screaming for one more rebound.

Chris outplayed Rose most of the game.

Chris logged in another 45 minutes. And he does look tired.

A double-double last night v the Nets. 10/10 with 1 TO. Looked great out there - lead the team, hustled (diving out of bounds at one point), etc. As a Knick fan since the early 60s (lean years then too), I am thrilled he's doing so well here. I actually like the heart and hustle of this team. Seven played last night...then six when David Lee went out with a back injury when VC undercut him (unintentionally it appears).

And, he got some rest last night. "Only" 38 minutes per the box score. (Jared Jeffries brought up the ball at times.)

SilkyJ
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Chris is playing absurd minutes. Check this out--

NBA leaders in Minutes Per Game

Steven Jackson, GS - 40:47/game
Chris Duhon, NY - 40:23/game
Chris Bosh, Tor - 40:03
Joe Johnson, Atl - 39:30/game
Ron Artest, Hou - 38:30/game
Derrick Rose, Chi - 38:23/game
Antwan Jamison, Was - 38:23/game

Interesting list, no?

--Jason "one has to wonder how Derrick Rose will hold up over a full season playing this much" Evans

Interesting list and interesting to note that all those guys, with the exception of Chris and Rose, play multiple positions.

WRT to your sig- I think Rose will hit a wall like all rookies, but I also think he will handle it better than most b/c he is such a freak. He had an NBA body as a senior in high school, arguably as a junior really. I have to imagine he'll hold up better than most rookies do when they hit the 55-60 game mark.

Smitty1911
12-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Another good showing from Duhon last night. 20 pts/10 asts while playing all 48. I can't believe he's still going strong playing so many minutes. Are the Knicks ever planning on playing more than 7 guys?!

**Thanks for moving to the appropriate thread.

DevilHorse
12-22-2008, 05:52 PM
At the Boston game, Duhon broke the Knicks record for consecutive free throws when he surpassed the 41 of Latrell Sprewell and made it to 44 before missing a free throw late in the game. Chris is in the zone.

The Knicks are shorthanded and hand-cuffed with a full 'rosta' of guaranteed 'prima donna' contracts who are either not playing (Stephon) or injured. Whatcha gonna do?

Larry
DevilHorse

Billy Dat
12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Because Cutino Mobley wound up retiring after the trade because of a heart condition similiar to the one that killed Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis (Mobley now believes the trade may have saved his life), the Knicks are going to get some cap relief and should be able to sign a free agent guard. I'm not sure who is out there, but an extra body would be most welcome. I guess Anthony Roberson just isn't getting it done. Perhaps some denizens of this board would like to see E Will getting some minutes - can they call him up when the Knicks come to Charlotte or Washington?

DevilHorse
12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Patrick Ewing Jr. was the last man off the boat when the cuts were done in October (no surprise with all of the no-cut contracts). He needed seasoning, but had the energy. Donnie Walsh must be waiting for an appropriate time or player to do something.

Larry
DevilHorse

DukieInKansas
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Chris Duhon was on Good Morning America this morning. He heard about their coat drive and showed up with 200 coats that he purchased to donate. It is good to see him continuing with his charity work in his new city.

duke74
12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Patrick Ewing Jr. was the last man off the boat when the cuts were done in October (no surprise with all of the no-cut contracts). He needed seasoning, but had the energy. Donnie Walsh must be waiting for an appropriate time or player to do something.

Larry
DevilHorse

That's what the local papers/shows were guessing last week. Eddy Curry also about to return (at least for a bit before he's traded - the guess is for a Diaw/Bell, as Charlotte has shown interest in him per today's DN).

Chris has been a great addition here. Hope he's just not a placeholder until Walsh trades for/signs Nash....

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Because Cutino Mobley wound up retiring after the trade because of a heart condition similiar to the one that killed Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis (Mobley now believes the trade may have saved his life), the Knicks are going to get some cap relief and should be able to sign a free agent guard. I'm not sure who is out there, but an extra body would be most welcome.

Call for Mr. Redick! Call for Mr. Redick! Paging Mr. Redick! Mr. Duhon has found your shot and wants to pass it to you!

Well, we can dream, can't we?

SilkyJ
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Chris Duhon was on Good Morning America this morning. He heard about their coat drive and showed up with 200 coats that he purchased to donate. It is good to see him continuing with his charity work in his new city.

That is great to hear. As I'm sure everyone is aware it has been quite cold in the northeast recently and when I brought my girlfriend (who also lives in SF where we see a lot of homeless people) to the Xavier game and subsequently NYC she said "there just can't be homeless people in New york right? Its just too cold for them to survive, right?" I sadly had to show her and tell her that there were quite a few and it broke her heart. This will at least cheer her up a little!

Billy Dat
12-24-2008, 10:51 AM
That's what the local papers/shows were guessing last week. Eddy Curry also about to return (at least for a bit before he's traded - the guess is for a Diaw/Bell, as Charlotte has shown interest in him per today's DN).

Chris has been a great addition here. Hope he's just not a placeholder until Walsh trades for/signs Nash....

Thanks for the tip on the Daily News article - they are saying Curry and David Lee or Bell/Diaw. UGH! The thinking would be that to sign Lee, they'll have to pony up at least $6MM per year. Combined with Curry's owed money, that would be $16MM for the next few years (including the summer of 2010). If they made that deal, Bell comes off the books in 2010 and Diaw would be making $9MM per, so they'd be $7MM better for total salaries.

If Curry could EVER get in shape, he could be a real force. But, he doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly. He could learn a thing or two from CDu. The Knick fans love Duhon and LOVE David Lee. I don't want to see Lee go, even if we have to pay him.

As for JJ - I'd love to see him in white, blue and orange but the Magic picked up his option for next year so it would have to be a trade. I don't see it happening. He doesn't make enough money to be part of any meaningful trade - he's going to have to wait for free agency to get his freedom.

duke74
12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Daily News article - they are saying Curry and David Lee or Bell/Diaw. UGH! The thinking would be that to sign Lee, they'll have to pony up at least $6MM per year. Combined with Curry's owed money, that would be $16MM for the next few years (including the summer of 2010). If they made that deal, Bell comes off the books in 2010 and Diaw would be making $9MM per, so they'd be $7MM better for total salaries.

If Curry could EVER get in shape, he could be a real force. But, he doesn't seem to have the fire in the belly. He could learn a thing or two from CDu. The Knick fans love Duhon and LOVE David Lee. I don't want to see Lee go, even if we have to pay him.

As for JJ - I'd love to see him in white, blue and orange but the Magic picked up his option for next year so it would have to be a trade. I don't see it happening. He doesn't make enough money to be part of any meaningful trade - he's going to have to wait for free agency to get his freedom.

Well put. Concur completely. Even under the Isiah debacle, Lee always played hard. I understand the economics, and all, but he is truly a fan (and my) favorite. And...his mid range J has improved quite a bit, so the D'Antoni system doesn't seem to be an impediment. He's playing center most nights now anyhow.

I remeber that we were recruiting him out of St. Louis before he went to Gatorland....I think (?)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 11:08 AM
the D'Antoni system (?)

Do you think the D'antoni - Krzyzewski link might help push him towards trading for JJ?

duke74
12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Do you think the D'antoni - Krzyzewski link might help push him towards trading for JJ?

I'm no expert here, but I would think that they certainly would share insights as to whether JJ would fit into the NYK's system.

Without David Lee, they're awfully weak up front, especially since Al Harrington has decided to play outside the arc as a PF (although he was quoted in today's DN that he NEEDS to start going to the basket more). That being said, maybe Mike D wants all jump shooters in the line-up. Quick ball movement, kick-outs, etc. JJ might fit well there....

OZZIE4DUKE
12-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Just saw a Sports Center highlight of Chris getting popped pretty good over his left eye yesterday. He went out for bandaging and came back to the game. As the commentator said, not quite a Willis Reed moment, but good effort. Chris then had 4 turnovers in the game - he might have been seeing double or triple or something. Hope he's OK.

Delaware
12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Just saw a Sports Center highlight of Chris getting popped pretty good over his left eye yesterday. He went out for bandaging and came back to the game. As the commentator said, not quite a Willis Reed moment, but good effort. Chris then had 4 turnovers in the game - he might have been seeing double or triple or something. Hope he's OK.

He was popped in the eye by Rashad McCants if you can believe that..... insult meet injury!

Carlos
12-27-2008, 11:14 AM
That cut over Duhon's eye came from a Rashad McCants elbow and required 9 stitches to close.

camcraz25
12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Is there a video clip of the McCants/Duhon moment?

chrishoke
12-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Is there a video clip of the McCants/Duhon moment?

www.nba.com/video/games/knicks...gt1hp0020800428

At about the :45 mark

JasonEvans
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I looked through this thread quickly and may have missed it, but did anyone link the Bill Simmons column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3797805) that talks about the D'Antoni system and its effect on Chris Duhon (it mostly talks about Nash, but Duhon comes up a few times)?

--Jason "Lebron playing for D'Antoni-- 40 ppg, 15 apg, 15 rpg-- wow!" Evans

BobbyFan
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I looked through this thread quickly and may have missed it, but did anyone link the Bill Simmons column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3797805) that talks about the D'Antoni system and its effect on Chris Duhon (it mostly talks about Nash, but Duhon comes up a few times)?

--Jason "Lebron playing for D'Antoni-- 40 ppg, 15 apg, 15 rpg-- wow!" Evans

Simmons doesn't understand that D'Antoni's system only increases a player's raw numbers (due to a higher # of possessions), but the player's efficiency doesn't change much. Nash never was an MVP caliber player.

COYS
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Simmons doesn't understand that D'Antoni's system only increases a player's raw numbers (due to a higher # of possessions), but the player's efficiency doesn't change much. Nash never was an MVP caliber player.

He also is far too harsh on D'Antoni's time with the Suns, too, in my opinion. Two years ago, an unlikely suspension may very easily have cost the Suns a finals appearance (I strongly belief this). One season out of those four was played without Amare and they still made it deep into the postseason. Yes, I think it's a legitimate argument that the Suns' style made it harder for the team to adjust to a change of pace or even the loss of important players (as in 2007), but, in my opinion it's not a definitive truth about his system. I actually do agree that Nash probably should not have won two MVP's, but D'Antoni's system is not all smoke and mirrors. His Suns teams were a few lucky bounces away from being one of the most entertaining teams in years to win a title, or at least get a shot at winning a title in the finals. Plus, there's something to be said to finding the players to run your system and exploiting your team's strengths. I mean, would the Suns have had a better chance at winning the title if they had played a slow pace with "ace" defenders like Nash and Amare trying to grind it out?

zingit
01-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Good point, but that doesn't necessarily contradict Simmons on his point that how a player is perceived depends on his situation, especially in basketball, and that D'Antoni makes his players look better than they really are.

davekay1971
01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Good point, but that doesn't necessarily contradict Simmons on his point that how a player is perceived depends on his situation, especially in basketball, and that D'Antoni makes his players look better than they really are.

The fact that a certain coach makes a player better doesn't really take away from what the player does. It's hard to judge how good an individual basketball player is, sometimes, because of all the factors outside of the player's control which come into play. Nash definitely benefitted from D'Antoni's system...but he did excel in the system and was the sparkplug that drove a very impressive Suns team. If Duhon can excel in D'Antoni's system, good for him, and I hope babbling media types like Simmons (very funny writer, but he spews more than he analyses, IMHO) don't take too much credit away from him.

BobbyFan
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
He also is far too harsh on D'Antoni's time with the Suns, too, in my opinion. Two years ago, an unlikely suspension may very easily have cost the Suns a finals appearance (I strongly belief this). One season out of those four was played without Amare and they still made it deep into the postseason. Yes, I think it's a legitimate argument that the Suns' style made it harder for the team to adjust to a change of pace or even the loss of important players (as in 2007), but, in my opinion it's not a definitive truth about his system. I actually do agree that Nash probably should not have won two MVP's, but D'Antoni's system is not all smoke and mirrors. His Suns teams were a few lucky bounces away from being one of the most entertaining teams in years to win a title, or at least get a shot at winning a title in the finals. Plus, there's something to be said to finding the players to run your system and exploiting your team's strengths. I mean, would the Suns have had a better chance at winning the title if they had played a slow pace with "ace" defenders like Nash and Amare trying to grind it out?

I absolutely agree with all of this. People like to look at the D' Antoni Suns' postseason performances as proof that you can't win running the ball, when only a little bit of analysis will show that it's nothing of the sort.

micah75
01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Knicks vs the Mavs, at the end of the 1st half, Chris has 22 pts. 9-9 from the floor so far. Hitting 3s, runners, layups. I believe the announcers said his season high was 26. I've probably jinxed him by posting this. But he's putting on quite a show. Fox Sports Southwest.

yancem
01-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Knicks vs the Mavs, at the end of the 1st half, Chris has 22 pts. 9-9 from the floor so far. Hitting 3s, runners, layups. I believe the announcers said his season high was 26. I've probably jinxed him by posting this. But he's putting on quite a show. Fox Sports Southwest.

Yup, you jinxed him. He ended up with 24 pts and made one of his next 5 shots. That being said, 24 pts on 10-14 shooting with 7 assists is a very solid game! I'd love to see a little more consistency out of Duhon. It seems like one night he is on fire and the next he really struggle with his shooting.

Billy Dat
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
He missed what would have been a go ahead lay-up with less then a minute left....it wasn't an easy shot but it was a lay-up....I felt bad for him...and myself, since I am a Knick fan. BUT, flipping the script a tad, he is a legit starting point guard in the NBA taking crunch time money shots. He's doing it for a team in the bottom 3rd of the NBA...but still. He has really gotten the most out of himself. I love that he is running the pro team I root for.

SilkyJ
01-29-2009, 01:02 PM
The Knicks are surging, winning 5 of their last 6 including wins over Phoenix and Houston (and a win against CP3 and the hornets not too along ago, but not part of the current streak...). Its still way early, but they are now tied with Milwaukee for the 8th playoff spot in the east.

After not being much of a scorer in the past, including his time in college, Duhon has scored in double figures each of the last 6 games and his overall numbers during the streak are quite impressive:

16.5 pts
7.3 asts
4.0 rebs
1.2 stls
1.5 tos
(A/TO ratio: 4.9)

And is shooting 48.5% from the floor and 44.8% from 3.

His season numbers now stand at:

12.7 pts
8.0 asts
3.8 rebs
1.1 stls
2.8 tos
(A/TO ratio: 2.8)
43% FG
41.5% 3FG
87% FT

Keep it up C-Du!

CDu
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
The Knicks are surging, winning 5 of their last 6 including wins over Phoenix and Houston (and a win against CP3 and the hornets not too along ago, but not part of the current streak...). Its still way early, but they are now tied with Milwaukee for the 8th playoff spot in the east.

After not being much of a scorer in the past, including his time in college, Duhon has scored in double figures each of the last 6 games and his overall numbers during the streak are quite impressive:

16.5 pts
7.3 asts
4.0 rebs
1.2 stls
1.5 tos
(A/TO ratio: 4.9)

And is shooting 48.5% from the floor and 44.8% from 3.

His season numbers now stand at:

12.7 pts
8.0 asts
3.8 rebs
1.1 stls
2.8 tos
(A/TO ratio: 2.8)
43% FG
41.5% 3FG
87% FT

Keep it up C-Du!

Duhon is really impressing me. Despite my username, I was convinced that Duhon was a serviceable backup capable of starting on a team that just needed defense and leadership from the point guard and nothing else (like a Lakers team with Kobe for example). But his play in New York has been amazing.

He's shooting well enough, and that was really the only drawback for him. He's always been a great defender and excellent at setting up others (great A/TO ratio), but the scoring/shooting ability (or lack thereof) was his limitation. It doesn't seem to be limiting him now, and that's impressive.

yancem
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
He's shooting well enough, and that was really the only drawback for him. He's always been a great defender and excellent at setting up others (great A/TO ratio), but the scoring/shooting ability (or lack thereof) was his limitation. It doesn't seem to be limiting him now, and that's impressive.

I shake my head any time I hear people talking about Duhon's lack of shooting ability. Not that it isn't a legitimate observation, because it is, it's just that coming out of high school shooting was supposed to be his one of his biggest strengths. He has beautiful form on his shot but somewhere along the way he lost his touch. It seems to me that it has to be mainly a psychological thing which means that it should correct itself if he can has a long enough period of success.

Here's to his shooting continuing to improve and him going from an adequate nba pg to a great nba pg!

jma4life
01-29-2009, 06:21 PM
He shot well enough against USC in 01.

Acymetric
01-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Duhon is really impressing me. Despite my username, I was convinced that Duhon was a serviceable backup capable of starting on a team that just needed defense and leadership from the point guard and nothing else (like a Lakers team with Kobe for example). But his play in New York has been amazing.

I can happily say that I always thought Duhon was capable of more than he did with the Bulls (largely because in my opinion the Bulls didn't give him many chances). I also always said years ago that the Cavs should pick them up. Not sure how things are now, but I believe they used to lack a good point guard. I can see Duhon working very well with Lebron...2010 anybody? This also works well because I don't think Duhon will ever command a large contract despite being a good player, making room for a player with a large contract. We shall see.