PDA

View Full Version : I really need some of this...

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9KBFF76MA

who else?

billybreen
11-12-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9KBFF76MA

who else?

Just let it shine through.

I don't think any 80s movie is more quotable, as we've proven here time after time.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
A young man that you all know as Joe the Policeman from the "What's going down?" episode of "That's My Mama."

That boy is good! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoS8j9eNMZU)

rasputin
11-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Just let it shine through.

I don't think any 80s movie is more quotable, as we've proven here time after time.

Most quotable '80's movie: The Princess Bride

billybreen
11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Most quotable '80's movie: The Princess Bride

It's definitely close, but I can't agree.

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Princess Bride? Inconceivable!!!! Has to be Coming to America.

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
So if I invented Soul Glow who would invest??

billybreen
11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Princess Bride? Inconceivable!!!! Has to be Coming to America.

Poll me.

Turk
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Don't tempt me. I'll figure out a way to poll-skew so Princess Bride wins with an Obama-like landslide. And Wilson will get Muppet Show Christmas to #2, and preliminary polling at RealClearPolitics has Airplane at #3.

Coming to America doesn't make the Top 5 for 80's movie quotability. The only good line involves the royal johnson. Sorry.

"You committed one of the biggest blunders known to man. The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia..."

billybreen
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Don't tempt me. I'll figure out a way to poll-skew so Princess Bride wins with an Obama-like landslide. And Wilson will get Muppet Show Christmas to #2, and preliminary polling at RealClearPolitics has Airplane at #3.

Coming to America doesn't make the Top 5 for 80's movie quotability. The only good line involves the royal johnson. Sorry.

"You committed one of the biggest blunders known to man. The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia..."

Poll skewing would be a bannable offense since you would be registering a bunch of fake user names. And I defy you to name 5 more quotable 80s movies.

Let's see, some candidates would be Ferris, Real Genius, Revenge of the Nerds, Princess Bride, Coming to America, Fletch (perhaps), Breakfast Club, 16 Candles.

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Can't stop watching the vid, this one is even more soulful!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt0NXvBL5n4

Feel it ohhh so silky smooth!!!!!!!

DukeUsul
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
"Vat ish dat, velvet?!?"

Those words come out of my mouth everytime I see something velvet/velour.

DukeUsul
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
"His momma call him Clay, I'm gon call him Clay!"

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
"His momma call him Clay, I'm gon call him Clay!"

That line was running through my head just before I saw this post. Can't tell you how many times I've said that.

Or "You ain't never met no Martin Luther the King."

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
A girl I know was wearing fake fur and I rubbed it and asked "thats beautiful what is that velvet?" Only one person got it though, everyone else had no idea.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Just yesterday in snrub someone was yelling "In the face!"

DukeUsul
11-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Just yesterday in snrub someone was yelling "In the face!"

That was I.

2535Miles
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Poll skewing would be a bannable offense since you would be registering a bunch of fake user names. And I defy you to name 5 more quotable 80s movies.

Let's see, some candidates would be Ferris, Real Genius, Revenge of the Nerds, Princess Bride, Coming to America, Fletch (perhaps), Breakfast Club, 16 Candles.
What about Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Airplane?

Too bad Monty Python and the Holy Grail was made in the 70's. I think it would provide serious competition.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
What about Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Airplane?

Too bad Monty Python and the Holy Grail was made in the 70's. I think it would provide serious competition.

I tend to only think of movies I remember being released 80s movies. Caddyshack and Airplane both sneak in at 1980, so those do deserve consideration.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
That was I.

Ahh, cool. Things were getting way scrolly at that time.

RainingThrees
11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
What is you favorite color!?!?!?!? Blue... I mean yellow!!!

falls to death.

DukeUsul
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Ghostbusters is great too.

My wife and I must be complete dweebs, because every time one of us asks the other if they want something, the answer is invariably "Yes, have some."

DukeUsul
11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
As inferior a movie as it is, Ghostbusters II is also quotable. Whenever I see a painting of a large Carpathian in shoulderpads and with long blonde hair, I find myself just naturally exclaiming "He is Viggo!" The same thing happens every time I watch LoTR or Hidalgo.

Or whenever my wife asks me to put the baby down:
"You're short, your bellybutton sticks out too far, and you're a terrible burden on your poor mother."

Highlander
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I was thinking the other day that probably the most quotable movie from my time at Duke (mid 90's) was Pulp Fiction. Unfortunately, most of the best quotes aren't repeatable here.

"I love you honeybunny."

"Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?"

"What does Marsellus Wallace look like?"

"Do you know what my dad went through to give me that watch?"

"Oh I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?"

"Who's motorcycle is this?"

"Five dollars for a milk shake?"

"You hear me talkin' hilbilly boy? ... I'm gonna get medieval on your..."

"It ain't even the same league. It ain't even the same ... sport."

rthomas
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe someone should run a poll.

My top three quotable movies:

1. Ghostbusters (Back off, man. I'm a scientist.)
possibly the best "line' movie ever. way too many to list.
(So, she's a dog...)

2. Caddyshack (oh...Billy, Billy, Billy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka3PjPW3gk8
I use this on the golf course often. And many more.

3. Pulp fiction (not suitable for DGR but classics)

BD80
11-12-2008, 11:28 PM

I don't think it is even in the top 20:

Good Morning Viet Nam

Raiders of the Lost Ark,

Top Gun, Risky Business

Untouchables,

Stripes, Tootsie, Scrooged

Parenthood, Planes,Trains and Automobiles

Die Hard

Spaceballs, History of the World,

Risky Business

Nat Lampoon Vacation, XMas Vacation

Wall Street,

Mr Mom,

Karate Kid

billybreen
11-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Good Morning Viet Nam

Raiders of the Lost Ark,

Top Gun, Risky Business

Untouchables,

Die Hard

Risky Business

Wall Street,

Mr Mom,

Karate Kid

There are a couple of good ones in there, but on the whole I respectfully submit that you're out of your mind. ;)

DevilAlumna
11-13-2008, 02:46 AM
I was thinking the other day that probably the most quotable movie from my time at Duke (mid 90's) was Pulp Fiction. Unfortunately, most of the best quotes aren't repeatable here.

"Now that's a tasty burger!"

and

"Look at the brains on Brad!"

Also find their way into the DA family lexicon frequently.

I gotta agree that Coming to America, although highly quotable ("taste the soup!",) is not THE top of the list. Top 5, though.

Lavabe
11-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Maybe someone should run a poll.

My top three quotable movies:

1. Ghostbusters (Back off, man. I'm a scientist.)
possibly the best "line' movie ever. way too many to list.
(So, she's a dog...)

2. Caddyshack (oh...Billy, Billy, Billy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka3PjPW3gk8
I use this on the golf course often. And many more.

3. Pulp fiction (not suitable for DGR but classics)

Wait a minute... you can be a scientist AND play golf?:eek::D;)

RainingThrees
11-13-2008, 06:55 AM

Good Morning Viet Nam

Raiders of the Lost Ark,

Top Gun, Risky Business

Untouchables,

Die Hard

Risky Business

Wall Street,

Mr Mom,

Karate Kid

Karate kid is near the top just for wax on and wax off. I think spaceballs might be the best though, "I am your father's, Brother's, Nephew's, Cousins former roomate."

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Karate kid is near the top just for wax on and wax off. I think spaceballs might be the best though, "I am your father's, Brother's, Nephew's, Cousins former roomate."

Well what does that make us?

sue71, esq
11-13-2008, 10:20 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you."

Ok, I have nothing more to contribute on this thread. :D

Cavlaw
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm glad Spaceballs finally made it into the mix.

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?"

allenmurray
11-13-2008, 10:31 AM
And I defy you to name 5 more quotable 80s movies.

I really consider it more of a 90s movie even though it came out in 1988. but there is no more quotable movie than Bull Durham.

It feels out there. I mean, it's a major rush. I mean, it feels radical in kind of a tubular sort of way, but most of all, it feels out there. Nuke LaLoosh

Well, maybe it is an 80s movie after all.

RainingThrees
11-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Well what does that make us?

Absolutely nothing!!! Which is what you are about to become.

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm glad Spaceballs finally made it into the mix.

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?"

I'm gonna embarrass myself and admit that for the first 10 years of watching that movie, I never got that this was a joke. And I was what, maybe 10 when it came out? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm gonna embarrass myself and admit that for the first 10 years of watching that movie, I never got that this was a joke. And I was what, maybe 10 when it came out? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
I can't believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book! What a fool, what's with you man, c'mon? Here let me give it back to you. Oh! Oh, look at that, you fell for that too! I can't believe it, man!

billybreen
11-13-2008, 12:24 PM

I'm right there with you, but the joke I didn't get was about "giving helmet."

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm right there with you, but the joke I didn't get was about "giving helmet."
I got the chicken joke, but I admit I didn't get this one either. I'm okay with that, because I was 10.

billybreen
11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I got the chicken joke, but I admit I didn't get this one either. I'm okay with that, because I was 10.

I think I was too. I saw it with my mom. In retrospect, it would have been awkward if I got that joke.

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I think I was too. I saw it with my mom. In retrospect, it would have been awkward if I got that joke.
Now there is a whole other topic: The first time you got one of those jokes with your parents around.

DukeUsul
11-13-2008, 02:05 PM

If I were your mother, I would have been appalled if you laughed at that one. :D Probably smacked you.

RainingThrees
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I hate it when I get my Schwatz twisted!!!!

2535Miles
11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
If I were your mother, I would have been appalled if you laughed at that one. :D Probably smacked you.
Dude, if you were breen's mom I think we would have some concerns.

Turk
11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
OK, top secret research has been conducted and the statistically significant results are in. Me and a couple people at work decided on the most quotable 80's movies. The definition of "quotable" means quantity and length of quotes. Movies with one very very famous quote but otherwise forgettable did not make the cut.

1. Princess Bride
2. Airplane
3. Caddyshack
4. Bull Durham
5. Spaceballs

I am glad to offer this as a public service. Glad we could get that settled. Enjoy your weekend!