PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 April First Hoaxes

BCGroup
03-30-2007, 08:44 AM
This was interesting, funny, and amazing to think how many people fell for them:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/

As a tease--number one:

#1: The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
spaghetti harvest In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in, and many called up wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti trees. To this question, the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

Bostondevil
03-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I achieved momentary respect from the BOGgers back at Duke when I was the first one to point out that the date on that infamous Sports Illustrated issue was April 1st. I knew it had to be a joke. And yes, I took great pleasure in pointing out that they needed a girl to figure it out.

Tom B.
03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I achieved momentary respect from the BOGgers back at Duke when I was the first one to point out that the date on that infamous Sports Illustrated issue was April 1st. I knew it had to be a joke. And yes, I took great pleasure in pointing out that they needed a girl to figure it out.

Finch. Syd Finch.

Sid Bream was an actual baseball player. He was known for (among other things) being a slow runner, but his most well-known moment as a player was scoring from second on Francisco Cabrera's two-out single in the bottom of the ninth in Game 7 of the 1992 National League Championship Series, giving the Atlanta Braves a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh and a trip to the World Series.

JasonEvans
03-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Finch. Syd Finch.

Sid Bream was an actual baseball player. He was known for (among other things) being a slow runner, but his most well-known moment as a player was scoring from second on Francisco Cabrera's two-out single in the bottom of the ninth in Game 7 of the 1992 National League Championship Series, giving the Atlanta Braves a 3-2 win over Pittsburgh and a trip to the World Series.

And who was the Pirate lefft fielder who made a fairly weak throw in an attempt to throw Bream out?

Bostondevil
03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I remembered on my way into work. Finch!

I used to have a great memory, no really, I did!

April 1st, 1988 - first date with now husband.
April 1st, 1991 - Duke's first NC and the night I got engaged. (I know, but I had to share.)

JBDuke
03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
And who was the Pirate lefft fielder who made a fairly weak throw in an attempt to throw Bream out?

Barry Bonds, back when he was a skinny guy with not much power, but good base speed (i.e., pre-steroids).

365Duke
03-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Finch. Syd Finch.

Those were the days:rolleyes:

CMS2478
03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Barry Bonds, back when he was a skinny guy with not much power, but good base speed (i.e., pre-steroids).

Just bc a guy adds 100 lbs. of muscle and breaks the HR record doesn't mean he is necessarily on steroids. ;)

Actually, I think it is sad if in fact he is...........bc aside from all the HR's the guy really is a GREAT hitter without all the power. I hate to see a guy do the wrong way though.