PDA

View Full Version : ESPN U coverage

rasputin
11-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Pardon if this is covered elsewhere. Was I the only one annoyed by the Cameron Cam (or whatever they called it) that reduced my actual screen size for the game by about 75 %, and added nothing to the broadcast?

Also, how do you pronounce Czyz?

I also really enjoyed ESPN U's congratulating themselves on having the game "available" in high definition. Well, not on DirecTV, which is one of the few outlets that has ESPN Unavailable anyway . . .

Ignatius07
11-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Pardon if this is covered elsewhere. Was I the only one annoyed by the Cameron Cam (or whatever they called it) that reduced my actual screen size for the game by about 75 %, and added nothing to the broadcast?

NO! You were not the only one. That was especially aggravating for those of us watching the game streaming online. That made a 3.5" screen into a 2" screen. And the worst part was how long they left it up there. Although I feel quite confident it will not be a permanent fixture (since I expect a significant percentage of its viewership to complain), we'll likely be stuck with it for the next two games.

rthomas
11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Agreed. Cameron Cam is awful. Who was the genius who thought that up?

And I don't know how to pronounce Czyz. So I assumed they were correct. No? ChiZ is how how were saying it.

Cameron
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
They were pronouncing it two ways: Chiz and Siz. Halfway through the broadcast, however, I turned the clown play-by-play announcer off and listened to Bob Harris and John Roth call it on a station out of Charlotte, and both were announcing it, Chiz. So I am assuming that is correct?

And, I agree, the Cameron Cam was absolutely laughable it was so terrible. About as bad as when ESPN 1 & 2 likes to go Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside style and film the game from the floor, on the opposite end of the court, for five minutes at a time, so all action happening can be missed.

In the past, I would have called the station. But, as I've grown older, I've learned to realize that calling a company at 8:00 at night, when it isn't open and no one is there to answer, is pretty pointless.

nyr484
11-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced with a "Ch" sound. Like Chizz.

Also, to add to the ESPN U gripes, I think the announcers last night set a record for most mistakes in one broadcast. At one point they called Nolan Smith a freshman (I'm assuming they were confusing him and Elliott Williams). And after Czyz dunked it, the female announcer called him Marty. So, apparently, all the white European guys look the same to her. She must be a racist.

dukegirlinsc
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I thought it was highly annoying. Last night was my first Duke game in HD, and it was pretty much ruined by that dang crazy cam.

It beats the alternative of not watching the game at all, though. :D

rasputin
11-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Also, to add to the ESPN U gripes, I think the announcers last night set a record for most mistakes in one broadcast. At one point they called Nolan Smith a freshman (I'm assuming they were confusing him and Elliott Williams). And after Czyz dunked it, the female announcer called him Marty. So, apparently, all the white European guys look the same to her. She must be a racist.

Not sure about the record part. I remember a broadcast of an NCAA tourney game in which the announcer (I think it was Curt Gowdy) kept talking about somebody named "Majinsky" and somebody else named "Sparnakel." He must have said it 1000 times.

I'm dating myself . . .

moonpie23
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
also, the lighting at Cameron has to be updated.....it looks kinda old in high def....other, newer arenas look much better ....and it will get worse when we start getting 1080P (according to time warner, sometime in 2027)

the lighting is the key...

cam cam looked awful..

if you turn on the radio, they are about 1 second in front of the tv picture, so you know when they let the shot go if it's goin in or not....

Son of Mojo
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
It definitely got under my skin watching it last night.....did nothing to "enhance the experience." The game itself is experience enough for me. I know the Captain loathed it--I could hear him yelling about it each time it was shown and wouldn't stop. I also hope we have different announcers tonight; last night's crew would ignore action and just ramble.

msdukie
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
also, the lighting at Cameron has to be updated.....it looks kinda old in high def....other, newer arenas look much better ....and it will get worse when we start getting 1080P (according to time warner, sometime in 2027)

It wasn't the lighting -- it was one of those random early season poor ESPN broadcasts where the color is dark. Looked terrible in SD too. By conference play, somehow Cameron gets much brighter on the Worldwide Leader.

billybreen
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=moonpie23;216171]also, the lighting at Cameron has to be updated.....it looks kinda old in high def....other, newer arenas look much better ....and it will get worse when we start getting 1080P (according to time warner, sometime in 2027)

It wasn't the lighting -- it was one of those random early season poor ESPN broadcasts where the color is dark. Looked terrible in SD too. By conference play, somehow Cameron gets much brighter on the Worldwide Leader.

Indeed. Games in Cameron normally look great.

captmojo
11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
It definitely got under my skin watching it last night.....did nothing to "enhance the experience." The game itself is experience enough for me. I know the Captain loathed it--I could hear him yelling about it each time it was shown and wouldn't stop. I also hope we have different announcers tonight; last night's crew would ignore action and just ramble.

For the record, I referred to this aberration as "Glaucoma Cam". :mad:

El_Diablo
11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
And after Czyz dunked it, the female announcer called him Marty. So, apparently, all the white European guys look the same to her. She must be a racist.

I'm pretty sure the announcer was referring to Marty McFly, not Martynas Pocius.