PDA

View Full Version : New Scoreboard

Fluffhead
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I am a big fan of the new scoreboard in Cameron. They really did a terrific job having a much more modern system match the "feel" of Cameron.

http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2008/11/scoreboard.html

A few of my thoughts about how it is currently being used at basketball games:

1) I love the video montages that are played pregame. They give me chills!

2) I would like to see a subtle graphic (perhaps blinking for 2-3 seconds) indicate a statistic change. For example, if I am unsure which Duke player committed a foul, I'd look up to the board next to #55 and see fouls increase from 3 to 4.

3) It would be nice to have (somewhere) an indication of timeouts remaining for both teams. Of course, I realize that there is only so much space available up there.

4) This is very nit picky and difficult to explain if you haven't seen it, but...the total team fouls statistics don't line up right under the individual fouls for each player. To my mind, it would be tidier if it they lined up. Doing so, however, may force them to drop the rotating advertisement that is in the middle of that line. Then again, it very well might not bother anyone else. (Perhaps someone has a photo of this, as I am doing a terrible job explaining it.)

I'd be interested in other thoughts about the new scoreboard, how it's being utilized, and potential improvements.

DU82
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I am a big fan of the new scoreboard in Cameron. They really did a terrific job having a much more modern system match the "feel" of Cameron.

http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2008/11/scoreboard.html

A few of my thoughts about how it is currently being used at basketball games:

1) I love the video montages that are played pregame. They give me chills!

2) I would like to see a subtle graphic (perhaps blinking for 2-3 seconds) indicate a statistic change. For example, if I am unsure which Duke player committed a foul, I'd look up to the board next to #55 and see fouls increase from 3 to 4.

3) It would be nice to have (somewhere) an indication of timeouts remaining for both teams. Of course, I realize that there is only so much space available up there.

4) This is very nit picky and difficult to explain if you haven't seen it, but...the total team fouls statistics don't line up right under the individual fouls for each player. To my mind, it would be tidier if it they lined up. Doing so, however, may force them to drop the rotating advertisement that is in the middle of that line. Then again, it very well might not bother anyone else. (Perhaps someone has a photo of this, as I am doing a terrible job explaining it.)

I'd be interested in other thoughts about the new scoreboard, how it's being utilized, and potential improvements.

My thoughts on it, bad things first.

No timeouts listed, no "who took the TO" (I have to look above my head at the end zone scoreboard if I need that). I'd agree that having the stat change flash would be good, but not essential. They "fixed" the number one issue from the B/W game, that was the total team fouls. (I realize now that they really didn't want to show that for the scrimmage!)

Good things: The screen images are great. Adding rebounds to individual stats is OK. The "live" video and highlights last night were OK (a little shaky on the camera angles, though. The intro video is great. No "cheer", "louder" or other messages on the board (we don't need no stinkin' messages to cheer.)

I imagine that halftime videos will start running soon, hopefully they'll keep down the advertising.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2008, 04:44 PM

This was discussed for the endzone scoreboards - time outs remaining or team fouls - no room for both. Coach K insisted on fouls.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
One other thing I got from "the horses mouth". They will show replays but will NOT show live action during play. They want people watching the floor, not the screens.

I too love the video intro. Did you notice they are doing something similar at football games? If not, you need to go to the carolina game in 3 weeks. Fill the stadium with Duke Blue!

Fluffhead
11-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the "in-the-know" insights. Much appreciated.

Agreed that the videos at Wally Wade this year have been terrific (especially with the great new sound system).

hurleyfor3
11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I will lodge no complaints about the scoreboard as long as the number under "Duke" is higher than the number under whatever the other team is.

Did the old scoreboard still do the "Trivia Quiz" after the first teevee timeout of each half? Will the new one continue the tradition?

mehmattski
11-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I must say that while the new scoreboard is impressive and probably a needed change, watching replays has been a bit surreal for this Cameron vet (six years). The choice of replays has been a bit odd-- for example in the second half they focused on Lance Thomas' face as he shot (and missed) a free throw, complete with "ugh, I missed again" grimace. Another time the camera was focused on a GSU player's legs. The plays of which we'd actually like to see replays (like G's big block or McClure's dunks) are buried in montages.

On the up side, I do really like seeing the live rebounding numbers, and the pregame videos have been awesome.

365Duke
11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I love the new scoreboard, and i love the intro video

I will say that although i like both of them, i like the "our house" one better right before the run out. i do like the other one, the our house on gave me chills though.

the one with the K quotes is very cool, esp. when the last scene of it is JJ waving for crowd to get louder. im a sucker for video/music. gets my blood flowing:D

Ders24
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
I love the new scoreboard, and i love the intro video

I will say that although i like both of them, i like the "our house" one better right before the run out. i do like the other one, the our house on gave me chills though.

the one with the K quotes is very cool, esp. when the last scene of it is JJ waving for crowd to get louder. im a sucker for video/music. gets my blood flowing:D

I agree that Our House is better for right before the team comes out. I think the other video is also good, but it doesn't hype the crowd as well.

elvis14
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
There are some things I like about the new scoreboard and things I don't. First I like the wood and brass accents that makes it look like it belongs in CIS. The stats in game are very readable and useful. Looking it last night the overriding thought was that it could be much smaller, specifically not as tall. I think if it was shorter it would intrude less. Basically, there are large areas top and bottom with ads, that's space I'd like to get back. I would really like to see more replays than they showed last night. There was a montage here and there but no simple quick replays of stuff during shorter breaks. Also, I think it would be cool to show more stats. Not slam more stuff on the same screen but switch to a different view during timeouts and/or at half time. Show us the team stats instead of just stats for the 5 guys playing.

DU82
11-12-2008, 07:32 PM
The replays and videos last night were fine. The sound system was awful. Too much bass or something. Couldn't make out what people were saying (Bob Harris's radio call, for instance.) Is there a reason loud music MUST accompany voiceovers and videos?

Turk
11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
The replays and videos last night were fine. The sound system was awful. Too much bass or something. Couldn't make out what people were saying (Bob Harris's radio call, for instance.) Is there a reason loud music MUST accompany voiceovers and videos?

Gah, it's a national epidemic. The thing I hate most about watching games in any venue in America these days is the fact that whenever there's a break in the action you have to scream in the ear of the person next to you just to have a normal conversation.

DevilWolf
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
The one thing about the "Our House" video that would jack me up beyond belief would be if they had old players having a line in the video as well. Can you imagine the reaction Shane, J-Will, Elton, etc. adding a quick "This is our house" would have gotten?

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
The one thing about the "Our House" video that would jack me up beyond belief would be if they had old players having a line in the video as well. Can you imagine the reaction Shane, J-Will, Elton, etc. adding a quick "This is our house" would have gotten?

I wish I had thought of that! What a great idea. Bless your heart!
Love, Ima

zingit
11-12-2008, 11:32 PM
The replays and videos last night were fine. The sound system was awful. Too much bass or something. Couldn't make out what people were saying (Bob Harris's radio call, for instance.)

Yes! What really bothered me is that we couldn't understand the halftime video. They did a special on Josh Sommer (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23242200/), a Duke student who was diagnosed with a rare cancer his freshman year, and has since been working with researchers to develop a cure for his own cancer, and has worked with his mom to establish the Chordoma Foundation (http://www.chordomafoundation.org/) to fight the disease. On top of all that, he is an incredibly nice kid. He is an inspiration to us all, and no one could understand a word of the segment they did on him for halftime! They presented him with two autographed basketballs after the video, and I'm sure most people were thinking, "Who is this kid?" Perhaps nothing can be done about the sound system, and perhaps the video they used just wasn't the best quality or something, but this was frustrating to me. If we're going to honor a campus hero at halftime, can we please do justice to them by making the announcement clear?

Acymetric
11-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Yes! What really bothered me is that we couldn't understand the halftime video. They did a special on Josh Sommer (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23242200/), a Duke student who was diagnosed with a rare cancer his freshman year, and has since been working with researchers to develop a cure for his own cancer, and has worked with his mom to establish the Chordoma Foundation (http://www.chordomafoundation.org/) to fight the disease. On top of all that, he is an incredibly nice kid. He is an inspiration to us all, and no one could understand a word of the segment they did on him for halftime! They presented him with two autographed basketballs after the video, and I'm sure most people were thinking, "Who is this kid?" Perhaps nothing can be done about the sound system, and perhaps the video they used just wasn't the best quality or something, but this was frustrating to me. If we're going to honor a campus hero at halftime, can we please do justice to them by making the announcement clear?

I could actually hear the halftime video just fine. I agree that sometimes the music/announcers were too loud, but I could hear them [a little bit too] loud and clear.

zingit
11-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I could actually hear the halftime video just fine. I agree that sometimes the music/announcers were too loud, but I could hear them [a little bit too] loud and clear.

Oh. Well, I'm glad. Sorry if my rant seemed over the top. I was in the student section, and I couldn't understand it, and everyone around me said the same.

DU82
11-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh. Well, I'm glad. Sorry if my rant seemed over the top. I was in the student section, and I couldn't understand it, and everyone around me said the same.

You weren't alone. I'm in the south end zone (grad student end) and we have two speakers almost directly in front of us. The sound for the halftime video was muffled and while we could figure out what was going on, we couldn't make out the details.

elvis14
11-13-2008, 10:41 AM

I couldn't understand it and there were several people around me that sat with their fingers in their ears because it was just a blaring noise. I even had my fingers in my ears for a minute just to get a break. It was just really harsh.