PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rock Newbie

SlimSlowSlider
11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I never watched the first 2 seasons of 30 Rock, but now have a season's pass for the show. I imagine jumping in at this point is not like belatedly joining Lost, but I am wondering if there is anything important that I should know about (e.g., past storylines) that I will not simply pick up from watching this season.

billybreen
11-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I never watched the first 2 seasons of 30 Rock, but now have a season's pass for the show. I imagine jumping in at this point is not like belatedly joining Lost, but I am wondering if there is anything important that I should know about (e.g., past storylines) that I will not simply pick up from watching this season.

The Lost analogy doesn't really hold. There isn't all that much continuation from episode to episode, so it should be easy to jump in.

Rich
11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree that you should pick it up very easily. You can read about all of the previous episodes (and maybe even watch them on your computer) at http://www.nbc.com/30_Rock/recaps/#cat=3&mea=302&ima=54299. Other than that, this chart is kind of important, particularly the Sheinhardt Wig Company and AHP Chanagi Party Meats. :D It really is one of the best shows on TV right now and probably the best comedy, IMHO. Enjoy it!

billybreen
11-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree that you should pick it up very easily. You can read about all of the previous episodes (and maybe even watch them on your computer) at http://www.nbc.com/30_Rock/recaps/#cat=3&mea=302&ima=54299. Other than that, this chart is kind of important, particularly the Sheinhardt Wig Company and AHP Chanagi Party Meats. :D It really is one of the best shows on TV right now and probably the best comedy, IMHO. Enjoy it!

Good call. And SSS, I suggest you get caught up on the previous seasons when you can. There were some delicious nuggets, like the Uncanny Valley, mind grapes, and Cleveland.

SlimSlowSlider
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check that link out. I don't think I could stomach watching 2 seasons on my computer. But I will see if my local video store has DVDs for seasons 1 and 2.

(And, to be clear, I did *not* think 30 Rock would be like Lost.)

billybreen
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check that link out. I don't think I could stomach watching 2 seasons on my computer. But I will see if my local video store has DVDs for seasons 1 and 2.

(And, to be clear, I did *not* think 30 Rock would be like Lost.)

Yeah, my bad. My response definitely implied that you did. What I meant was "you are correct, jumping in shouldn't be nearly as painful as belatedly joining Lost, especially because Lost totally sucks." :)

SlimSlowSlider
11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
especially because Lost totally sucks." :)

I believe them's fighting words for Jason Evans.

Lost falls somewhere in between for me.

Looking forward to 30 Rock, though. If it even comes close to my all-time favorite comedy, Arrested Development, I will be a happy camper.

Mal
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
There's not much you really need to know, although I think a little of the corporate history might help with catching some of the subtext, especially in Liz/Jack interactions.

As season 1 started, Liz and Pete were running the Girlie Show with little corporate oversight. It was targeted at a very narrow demographic, and the network wanted more from it. So they sent in Jack Donaghy, who was Vice President in GE's microwave division or somesuch, to take on expanding The Girlie Show's reach. He immediately forced Liz to go hire Tracy Jordan to remake the show, as well as fired Pete. This sets up the commerce vs. art contrast that's become the main thrust of the show, represented by Jack and Liz and their growing, grudging respect for each other.

Also, last season, Jack was gunning to take over the entire company upon the impending retirement of the CEO, Don Geiss. Through a series of zany occurrences, including an old rival, Devon Banks (who SSS will enjoy seeing since he's played by Will Arnett), coming in and marrying Geiss's bizarro daughter, Jack ended up not getting the position and being forced out by Banks. So he ended the last season working in the Bush administration (and quitting), and started this one trying to get back to the top of the corporate ladder.

SlimSlowSlider
11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Mal. That background is helpful. And Will Arnett is a hoot. I wonder if he brought his magic tricks to 30 Rock. :)

billybreen
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Mal. That background is helpful. And Will Arnett is a hoot. I wonder if he brought his magic tricks to 30 Rock. :)

Only one. He's been trying to show Kenneth his hide the salami trick for a while.

DevilAlumna
11-14-2008, 02:18 AM

They're illusions, SSS - tricks are for whores.

:D

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
They're illusions, SSS - tricks are for whores.

:D

You can catch Arrested Development reruns on HDNet everyday. It still makes me laugh.

Also, Lost is awesome.

That is all.

JasonEvans
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
From another thread (on Heroes) where someone asked about 30 Rock--

I think it is a bit more frantic and fast paced comedy than the others. Still, I strongly suggest checking it out. It reminds me a great deal of Arrested Development in that it has some truly insane characters on it but it is the main character, who is supposed to be the one who is really grounded, who seems to get in the most "trouble."

--Jason "I will post more in the recent 30 Rock thread..." Evans

Arrested Development vs. 30 Rock

Michael Bluth = Liz Lemon -- level headed central characters who do whacky things sometimes and spend much of the time trying to keep the crazies around them from being too crazy.
Lindsay = Jenna -- women who think they are still as sexy as they used to be and who overrate their own looks. Both are man-crazed and think the world revolves around them.
Gob = Tracy -- the truly insane. Egotistical with ideas that could only make sense to them.
Tobias = Kenneth -- pseudo-homosexual and truly innocent about the evils of the world.

I am not sure I can take it much further than that. I could make the comparison of Jack to George Bluth Sr., and I think the similarities are there, but Jack fills a much larger role in 30 Rock.

Ahh well, it was an amusing exercise.

--Jason "I don't think the shows are the same, but the comparisons are interesting" Evans

YmoBeThere
11-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I'll likely buy an episode or two at iTunes. Not that it is a lot of money, but $2.99 sees a little steep. Okay, okay by about a dollar.