PDA

View Full Version : What toppings do you like on your pizza?

2535Miles
11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Sue called it out, and it deserves a poll.

billybreen
11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Pepperoni, sausage, and extra cheese works for me. I'm now starving.

EarlJam
11-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Hot, with toppings that are wet, juicy, and creamy. The kind you want to just taste and enjoy all night. But I also like it firm, not sloppy. Want to enjoy it knowing it can keep together while you devour it slowly and appreciate its every morsel of flavor and tenderness.

I love pizza. My GOD I love pizza!

-EarlJam

2535Miles
11-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Pepperoni, sausage, and extra cheese works for me. I'm now starving.
Cruise over for homemade chicken soup. It's no pizza but it'll fill your tummy.

dukemomLA
11-11-2008, 03:00 AM
But... mostly we order

Extra cheese
sausage
pepperoni
veges of all sorts

On other occasions, (not often) it's Canadian bacon & pineapple. (But that's something we can make at home much cheaper)

Often our 'Pizza take-out/delivery" depends on who has a great deal for 'whatever.'

YmoBeThere
11-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Pepperoni and Mushroom is my all time favorite...something I picked up in childhood. But dough with some red sauce and cheese works also.

hc5duke
11-11-2008, 07:11 AM
goat cheese + meat balls

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Pepperoni, mushrooms and tomato slices. Preferably from Angelo's in Smithfield, or in NYC from whoever.

Lavabe
11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Perhaps the correct question is:

What toppings DON'T you like on a pizza?

For me it's anchovies.

Cheers,
Lavabe

weezie
11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Tomato slices, onions, prosciutto.
And, when it's a special celebration, ditch the fancy ham and pile on the anchovies.
Grimaldi's in Brooklyn or Di Fara's.

TillyGalore
11-11-2008, 08:48 AM
There is a place near my apartment, Randy's Pizza, that has a great Greek pizza. It doesn't have a tomato sauce, the put olive oil on the dough, then mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, Greek olives, spinach and red onions. Ymm pizza!

hurleyfor3
11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I like Hawaiian (ham/pineapple). Also salami. For some reason you almost never see salami as an option in the US, although it is popular in Europe.

billybreen
11-11-2008, 09:20 AM
goat cheese + meat balls

Where can I find such a pizza? That sounds like heaven.

billybreen
11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
We also need a poll about pizza styles. My wife is a born Chicagoan, so she has shown me the majesty of the deep dish cornmeal crust. Just awesomeness.

CathyCA
11-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I like thin crust with extra cheese and mushrooms.

kmspeaks
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
pepperoni, sausage, bacon . . . pile on the meat

As for the crust it depends on my mood. Chicago style deep dish, thin crust, or just plain old regular crust, I love them all at different times. Every now and then I can go for a stuffed crust.

Man I love pizza!

sue71, esq
11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
There is a place near my apartment, Randy's Pizza

Wow I used to LOVE Randy's Pizza when I was in the area.

TillyGalore
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow I used to LOVE Randy's Pizza when I was in the area.

I'm having Randy's Pizza tonight before the game. I hold a slice up in your honor. :D

wilson
11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I can always throw down a good old pepperoni pizza. My favorite is pepperoni, green olives, feta, and (preferably roasted) garlic, with the occasional Roma or sun-dried tomatoes, always with a hefty shake of crushed red pepper
I seem to recall polishing off a large pepperoni, green olive, and garlic number while hung over with a certain fellow DBRer one time...

devildeac
11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
"Bottle of red, bottle of white..."

Rarely, cheese only (or double cheese).

Mostly, a meat or two and a veggie or three. That makes it a complete meal:D.

"Classic" choices only including pepperoni, sausage, and green/red peppers, onions, 'shrooms and maybe some black olives.. You might talk me into a Greek pie on occasion, too.

"...depends upon your mood tonight."

devildeac
11-11-2008, 12:19 PM

For me it's anchovies.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Artichokes.

I'll have a tiny fish on occasion when I don't think I've had enough sodium with the pizza itself:rolleyes:.

devildeac
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM

For me it's anchovies.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Actually, this sounds like it need another poll:eek:.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Mmmmmm... Chicago pizza. I miss you so. The best (in order):

1. Lou Malnati's - best crust
2. Bacino's - best sauce
3. Giordano's (tie)
3. Gino's East (tie)

billybreen
11-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Mmmmmm... Chicago pizza. I miss you so. The best (in order):

1. Lou Malnati's - best crust
2. Bacino's - best sauce
3. Giordano's (tie)
3. Gino's East (tie)

Definitely agree that Lous is tops. I would probably move Gino's up to an un-tied 3 or perhaps even 2.

2535Miles
11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm primarily a fan of New York style pizza and would easily choose that 4 times out of 5 over Chicago style but I do love indulging every year when we hit Chicago for the trade show.

I would choose New York or Chicago style over California Pizza 87 times out of 89.

devildeac
11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm primarily a fan of New York style pizza and would easily choose that 4 times out of 5 over Chicago style but I do love indulging every year when we hit Chicago for the trade show.

I would choose New York or Chicago style over California Pizza 87 times out of 89.

No argument here either.

camion
11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
My favorite pizza is a half and half hand tossed.

first half - roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts.

second half - pepperoini, italian sausage, other meaty goodness.

Cavlaw
11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Definitely agree that Lous is tops. I would probably move Gino's up to an un-tied 3 or perhaps even 2.
Heresy! Gino's is the Pizza King of Chicago!

billybreen
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Heresy! Gino's is the Pizza King of Chicago!

That's what my sister says. The wife says Lous. The wife always wins.

Cavlaw
11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
That's what my sister says. The wife says Lous. The wife always wins.
Well my wife says Giordano's, so I know that's not true.

hc5duke
11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Where can I find such a pizza? That sounds like heaven.

Most places carry both ingredients (and of course, we're not talking about the Pizza Hut clones), and even if it's not on the menu, we found that if the restaurant has other pasta dishes with meatballs, they'll make a meatball pizza and charge us like any other meat topping.

Turk
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a yin-yang thing going. No, that's too much of a cross-cultural stretch. Let's call it a meatball - calzone thing.

On one hand - simple - plain white pizza: thin crust, olive oil, garlic, whatever blend of cheese they choose to use. Or for something completely different, one recommendation I'll offer for your consideration is Italian tomato pie. This is a rectangular, medium chewy crust, with nothing on top except a crushed tomato sauce with garlic and spices, served at room temp. I love how something that simple can be that good...

On the other hand - complex - garbage pizza: load it up with any combination of the usual meats and veggies. I don't care. And I don't mind if you get a bit funky with high-end gourmet versions of the standard toppings. (sun-dried tomato, feta cheese, fancy olives, etc) A medley of flavors and textures dancing on the palate.

But I don't want to see any birds (that means you, BBQ chicken - stay on the grill where you belong), any fishies (sorry little salty guys - maybe I'll catch you later with crackers and hot sauce), and any fruit. (Ms. Pineapple, I don't care if Mr. Ham said it was OK, you're not on the list.) If I'm around any pizza with that mess on it, I'm gonna settle for some salad.

mmmm.... pizza..... Is it suppertime yet?

aimo
11-12-2008, 09:06 AM
The only meat I like on pizza is pepperoni, but I can do without that most of the time. If I do Satisfaction's lunch special, I always go for a slice of their mushroom. Yummy. There was a place in Durham AGES ago, I can't even remember the name. Near RTP, in fact, I think they were in the Triangle Square shopping center. They put tiny whole marinated fresh mushrooms on their pizza. SO GOOD!

wilson
11-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a yin-yang thing going. No, that's too much of a cross-cultural stretch. Let's call it a meatball - calzone thing.

On one hand - simple - plain white pizza: thin crust, olive oil, garlic, whatever blend of cheese they choose to use. Or for something completely different, one recommendation I'll offer for your consideration is Italian tomato pie. This is a rectangular, medium chewy crust, with nothing on top except a crushed tomato sauce with garlic and spices, served at room temp. I love how something that simple can be that good...

On the other hand - complex - garbage pizza: load it up with any combination of the usual meats and veggies. I don't care. And I don't mind if you get a bit funky with high-end gourmet versions of the standard toppings. (sun-dried tomato, feta cheese, fancy olives, etc) A medley of flavors and textures dancing on the palate.

But I don't want to see any birds (that means you, BBQ chicken - stay on the grill where you belong), any fishies (sorry little salty guys - maybe I'll catch you later with crackers and hot sauce), and any fruit. (Ms. Pineapple, I don't care if Mr. Ham said it was OK, you're not on the list.) If I'm around any pizza with that mess on it, I'm gonna settle for some salad.

mmmm.... pizza..... Is it suppertime yet?

Is that by chance Miss Finch of 'Follow That Bird' in your avatar? Because if it is, I commend you.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Most places carry both ingredients (and of course, we're not talking about the Pizza Hut clones), and even if it's not on the menu, we found that if the restaurant has other pasta dishes with meatballs, they'll make a meatball pizza and charge us like any other meat topping.

I actually dreamt about a meatball and chevre pizza last night.

Cavlaw
11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Random thought - a surprisingly good pizza is available from Dominos in the UK. Tandoori chicken, green pepper and onion.

billybreen
11-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Random thought - a surprisingly good pizza is available from Dominos in the UK. Tandoori chicken, green pepper and onion.

That does sound good.

TillyGalore
11-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Will they deliver to the US? ;):rolleyes:

Jfrosh
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
For Offbeat I like the Hawaiian or Bar-B-Q chicken pizzas.

For a classic style nothing is better than Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, mushroom and extra cheese.

Turk
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Is that by chance Miss Finch of 'Follow That Bird' in your avatar? Because if it is, I commend you.

Nope, sorry. (But now I have to look 'Follow That Bird' up...)

The avatar is the turkey from Muppet Family Christmas - he's "invited for dinner" by the Swedish Chef. He hits on Gonzo's little chicken friends, and convinces the Swedish Chef that Big Bird is actually the Christmas turkey. (I don't think it's too much of a spoiler for those who haven't seen it. BTW, this is a MANDATORY holiday television. If you haven't seen it, you need to go get it and watch it. I don't ask for much.)

"Watch out for the icy patch",
Turk

wilson
11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Nope, sorry. (But now I have to look 'Follow That Bird' up...)

The avatar is the turkey from Muppet Family Christmas - he's "invited for dinner" by the Swedish Chef. He hits on Gonzo's little chicken friends, and convinces the Swedish Chef that Big Bird is actually the Christmas turkey. (I don't think it's too much of a spoiler for those who haven't seen it. BTW, this is a MANDATORY holiday television. If you haven't seen it, you need to go get it and watch it. I don't ask for much.)

"Watch out for the icy patch",
Turk

Are you kidding? I have OF COURSE seen that special. Aside from my Head Elf status, I'm the biggest Muppets fan you know.

Lavabe
11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Are you kidding? I have OF COURSE seen that special. Aside from my Head Elf status, I'm the biggest Muppets fan you know.

Also, do NOT say anything negative about John Denver, or else the Head Elf will attack.:eek:

IIRC, he views the John Denver/Muppet Christmas CD as one of the all time best CD's ever made.

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
IIRC, he views the John Denver/Muppet Christmas CD as one of the all time best CD's ever made.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Sure do. You wanna make somethin' of it?

Turk
11-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Wilson, no offense intended - I know you backed MSC big-time on the holiday viewing thread. I was calling out to the lurkers and other uninitiated who may not have experienced Christmas at Mrs. Bear's farmhouse.

Not knowing your physical dimensions, I won't challenge your claim as the biggest Muppets fan you know, but you better save room for me in the Top 5. :D

And I won't slag John Denver's work with the Muppets either. No worries there. I'll go after Sly Stallone instead - his appearance on the old Muppet Show was gouge-your-eyes horrible....

Tappan Zee Devil
11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Sausage and mushies

But the important part is that it is New York style - from a place down Route 303 over the border into NJ where the entire staff sound like they are just off the boat from Italy.

Jim

dukemomLA
11-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Okay boys and girls, it ain't brain surgery. Buy pizza dough and sauce from Trader Joe's (...pretty darn good stuff).

Then pile on grated mozzarella (also from TJs). Anchovies, pepperoni, crumbed sausage, pineapple, Canadian bacon, extra cheese of your choice, sliced black olives, cooked bacon, green peppers, thinly sliced onions, etc.

Spread the dough out on a floured cookie sheet, ...follow directions on the Trader Joe's dough. YUM YUM. It's a great way to "make it your way."