PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Presbyterian In-Game Thread

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Thoughts on opening minutes? We don't look too good offensively so far.

edensquad
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
At the 15 minute mark of the first half, Duke has: 0 passes on the break (all dribble), and 0 passes feeding the post :(

I suspect this will change.....

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Looking good now 5 min before half time.

billybreen
11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
There are a bunch of chatters here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12423).

Bob Green
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM
There were several positives in the first half:

1. Jon Scheyer was solid. 12 points (5-7 from the field)
2. Free throw shooting especially Kyle Singler
3. A nice 15 - 0 run
4. Defense drew several charges

mgtr
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
As usual, Duke seems to start slow in the first ten minutes, and then picks it up. Is this because we are slow or because the other team is really pumped? I have not figured that out, but it seems to be true a lot, particularly against weaker teams.

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Singler with 12 and 7. He got those quietly, I didn't think he was playing that good till I saw the box score.

grossbus
11-10-2008, 08:17 PM
the half court O does not look good. again.

SMO
11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Singler with 12 and 7. He got those quietly, I didn't think he was playing that good till I saw the box score.

Isn't it always that way? I've never seen someone score more quietly than he does. He's just so fundamentally sounds he makes great contributions look ordinary.

CLT Devil
11-10-2008, 08:25 PM
With all due respect, Zoubek has no business being in the game. I seriously, seriously hoped that he was going to be better now that hes healthy, but the mistakes he makes can't really be overcome; they are physical limitations as well as mental lapses. I am by no means a nay-sayer or a hater, and I recognize its early (very) in the year, but I say let Plumbee get all the minutes and learn on the job, so to speak. Z gives us 5 fouls and that's about it.

Otherwise, Singler looks like a men among boys out there.

Duke79UNLV77
11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
hope it looks better than the stats read.

SMO
11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
With all due respect, Zoubek has no business being in the game. I seriously, seriously hoped that he was going to be better now that hes healthy, but the mistakes he makes can't really be overcome; they are physical limitations as well as mental lapses. I am by no means a nay-sayer or a hater, and I recognize its early (very) in the year, but I say let Plumbee get all the minutes and learn on the job, so to speak. Z gives us 5 fouls and that's about it.

Does Z really have 4 fouls already???????????

MChambers
11-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Maybe you should not be posting. Sorry to be so blunt, but you earned it.

Look, if you look at last year's plus/minus numbers posted by Jumbo, Zoubs had very good numbers, playing on a broken foot. He's only gotten an insert out of his shoe in the last week or two. Give him some slack and time.

It's Plumlee, by the way.

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Lance is looking good, I keep waiting for Henderson to explode but so far he has been kinda passive. Took it to the basket strong just a second ago and missed but Lance put it back in.

CLT Devil
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Does Z really have 4 fouls already???????????

Unfortunately......yes. He does have two boards though

pfrduke
11-10-2008, 08:37 PM

Alright, who had 20 minutes into the season as the time by which fans would start giving up on one of our players in the office pool? Anyone?

Chill, dude. Zoubek is going to do some things badly for us this year, that's true. He's also going to do some things very well for us this year. At this point in the season, there's no way to know whether or not the positives will outweigh the negatives. Either way, to say he's nothing more than 5 fouls is just grossly inaccurate and unproductive.

mgtr
11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree, we have to look at Zoubek as being a sophomore at best. Clearly we don't want him to make four silly fouls, but I think his timing will come. He played some good games last year, and I expect more of the same later this year. If you really want to pick on somebody, how about Hendo? He sure hasn't shown much tonight. Of course, he has tremendous talent and leaping ability, but not tonight.

CLT Devil
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Maybe you should not be posting. Sorry to be so blunt, but you earned it.

Look, if you look at last year's plus/minus numbers posted by Jumbo, Zoubs had very good numbers, playing on a broken foot. He's only gotten an insert out of his shoe in the last week or two. Give him some slack and time.

It's Plumlee, by the way.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know...no criticism here, but I am just frustrated. My point was to let Plumlee (thanks for the correction) get some time because Z doesnt seem to be the answer and we really need someone who's decent inside. If you don't agree, fine. If you don't like my post, fine. I don't think whatever numbers were posted are indicative of what actually translates to the court...I just know what I see. Apologies for ruffling feathers...I just dont see how it could hurt to let Miles get Z's minutes and see how he progresses. How could it hurt?

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Kyle with 20 and 10 nice. Gotta make the free throws though.

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
7-0 run by Duke in 10 seconds Lance with the and one!!

Bob Green
11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Zoubek just scored his first two points of the season.

Lavabe
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Zoubek just scored his first two points of the season.

And he just fouled out, it seems... but not until after Duke went on a run.

<5 minutes to go.

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Zoubek fouled out and Olek got his first points!! Not a dunk though.

grossbus
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
singler once again carrying the load inside. i realize this is only one game, but he is going to have to get more help or he is going to wind up like he did last year.

MChambers
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, I know...no criticism here, but I am just frustrated. My point was to let Plumlee (thanks for the correction) get some time because Z doesnt seem to be the answer and we really need someone who's decent inside. If you don't agree, fine. If you don't like my post, fine. I don't think whatever numbers were posted are indicative of what actually translates to the court...I just know what I see. Apologies for ruffling feathers...I just dont see how it could hurt to let Miles get Z's minutes and see how he progresses. How could it hurt?

I don't mind you writing something, "Boy, Zoubek is really struggling tonight", or things like that, but when you tear him down, you're not helping.

I think we'll see both Zoubs and Miles get plenty of minutes to improve and to see what they can do. Be patient.

Lavabe
11-10-2008, 08:54 PM
How many pronunciations of Olek's last name tonight?:rolleyes:

What's the deal about speaking Polish at Cameron tonight?

I can barely tolerate the play-by-play team tonight.:mad:

CLT Devil
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Marty w/ two charges taken...K got to love that. Czyz = good athlete

RainingThrees
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Olek with the strong dunk than E-mail with the 360!!!!

Neals384
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
2 dunks in a row!

Diddy
11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I feel much better about the post. The numbers weren't great, I will grant. However, the other posts were much more active. Plum and Lance were really flying arround for boards and on D.

Zoubs...I will reserve judgement on.

Even so, worst case scenario, Lance looks like a viable option alongside Singler. This means we won't have to chain Kyle to the post.

Nothing else groundbreaking, but our bigs were flying arround and they look like they've got live legs this year. There isn't a lot of bulk, but we knew that. Our guys are long and active, and they will improve, even if we lose a few along the way. We are playing for March and April, not Dec or Jan or Feb.

And, oh lord, can Olek jump. He is still learning the game, but the basics are there. Joe Alexander. That is where Olek will be in two more years. Before he leaves, we will get a good year out of him.